#UFC London #Fabricio Werdum #Alexander Volkov #Jan Blachowicz #Jimi Manuwa #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Tony Ferguson #Conor McGregor #Fight On #UFC 223

Jose Aldo: No moral victory for Conor McGregor in TKO loss to Floyd Mayweather

RIO DE JANEIRO – Among the mostly positive feedback from the MMA community after Conor McGregor’s display in his loss to Floyd Mayweather, some of the lightweight champ’s UFC peers stood out for somewhat saltier responses.

One of them was former featherweight champion Jose Aldo, whose series of laugh-crying emojis in the moments after the 10th-round TKO stoppage spoke louder than words. (via Twitter)

Speaking on the matter for the first time Friday, Aldo offered an explanation for the tweets – or something close to that.

“First of all, I didn’t even watch the fight,” Aldo said during the launch of one of his burger shops in Rio de Janeiro. “I was at a football game. It’s a No. 1 sport for me. I’m very passionate about it – Rams and Chargers. So I didn’t even watch the fight. I don’t know. I have people who take care of my social media.

“I can’t even talk about what happened, because I didn’t watch the fight. I talked about it a lot. I was surrounded by boxers where I was, and they talked about the fight. But I didn’t watch it myself.”

Asked directly if that mean he wasn’t the one who tweeted it out, Aldo went with misdirection.

“You know every athlete has people who handle their social media – who work their social media,” Aldo said.

Aldo (26-3 MMA, 8-2 UFC) and McGregor (21-3 MMA, 9-1 UFC) don’t have the friendliest of pasts. Before their UFC 194 fight – which ended with McGregor snapping Aldo’s decade-long unbeaten streak and taking the featherweight belt –  the two traded some serious barbs for months.

Aldo, who just returned home after a stint sharpening up his own boxing skills in California, says he still hasn’t had a chance to watch “The Money Fight.” But as he got home from the game, he got updates about what was happening from a friend.

And the ex-champ says he wasn’t particularly surprised when he caught wind of the result.

“I spent this entire time with them, and they said that was going to happen,” Aldo said. “Conor doesn’t have good cardio, and (they) knew he’s not used to boxing. Mayweather was closed up, just waiting for the time to pounce. The guy hadn’t fought for two years.

“A lot of people talk a lot of crap, like, ‘Oh, he landed many more blows than (Manny) Pacquiao or (Miguel) Cotto and everyone.’ But no one says that (Mayweather) didn’t fight for two years. He didn’t even prepare for the fight. He knew, like everyone at the gym said, that it would be very hard (for McGregor to win) – very, very hard.”

While McGregor did in fact succumb to Mayweather, as most expected, the fact that he managed to survive 10 rounds against the undefeated boxer drew praise from many of his peers. Considering it was McGregor’s professional boxing debut – and all the odds against him – some would say the result was a moral victory.

That group, it turns out, does not include Aldo.

“Of course not,” Aldo said. “Moral? First of all, you try to prove that with someone who’s almost 41, who’s been away (from the sport). Of course, it was a money fight. A moral victory would have been taking on an active boxer, a champion, and then fought him. And then you’d see how he would barely last a round. Because it’s an entirely different sport. We need to put ourselves in our places.

“I’m an MMA athlete. I can’t go tomorrow and say I’m going to do muay Thai in Thailand with a Thai fighter, because I can punch and kick well. There’s no way. Each one in their places. I respect martial arts, so I put myself in my place. I don’t see a moral victory.”

Aldo’s outlook on the showdown is not entirely grim. On the bright side, the former 145-pound kingpin believes it brought added eyeballs to MMA – which, in turn, might translate to some heftier paydays for all parties involved.

“I’m happy he did a big fight, and I think it promoted MMA,” Aldo said. “I’m happy because of that. But as for the fight itself? Nobody liked the way it happened. They thought it was a circus. I don’t know what they’re saying (in Brazil), but in America that was the comment – that it was a circus fight.”

Aldo had made no secret of his interest in starting out a boxing career of his own. In his case, though, he says he wants to start from the bottom and make his way up. Immersing himself in this universe, he explained, did light up a spark in him – but it also showed him how much he has to learn.

“I trained with champions at the gym, at Robert Garcia’s,” Aldo said. “There were practically only champions (there). I got to spar and to train with them and see how boxing is. I don’t think I have the level today to go in there and challenge a champion. First of all, I don’t think I even have the nerve to challenge someone. I think I respect it.

“I think there are many people who have been training their entire lives to get there and fight for a world title in boxing. I’d rather start from scratch and go step-by-step, not disrespecting anyone. Because I think this way I can make it much further.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Conor McGregor Fights

• a year ago

Jose Aldo Fights

• a year ago

Conor McGregor Declares Floyd Mayweather Is 'Out' of Rematch Fight Negotiations | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor is apparently done waiting on Floyd Mayweather to decide whether or not he's serious about a rematch. In recent weeks, Mayweather has been dropping all sorts of teasers on social media read news >>

Dana White: Conor McGregor More Likely to Fight Floyd Mayweather Than Nate Diaz

UFC President Dana White stoked the flames of a potential Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather rematch. When asked by TMZ Sports whether a rematch between McGregor and Mayweather or McGregor and Nate read news >>

Tyron Woodley Says He is Training Floyd Mayweather for Possible UFC Debut | MMAWeekly.com

Despite most writing off Floyd Mayweather's MMA interest as a tease, UFC champ Tyron Woodley said that he is preparing to train Mayweather in mixed martial arts. read news >>

Conor McGregor Says He Wanted to Face Frankie Edgar at UFC 222; Will Fight Again

Conor McGregor appeared to respond to UFC President Dana White's decision to strip him of his title and comments he made to TMZ Sports about McGregor wanting "some time off" with an Instagram post on read news >>

Dana White: Conor McGregor to Lose Title, Talks Potential Floyd Mayweather Fight

UFC President Dana White said Wednesday he will strip Conor McGregor of the UFC lightweight championship. Speaking to TMZ Sports, White said the upcoming fight between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Tony Fe read news >>

Dana White: Conor McGregor More Likely to Fight Floyd Mayweather Than Nate Diaz

UFC President Dana White said an MMA fight between Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather Jr. is more likely than a third meeting between McGregor and Nate Diaz. On Saturday, TMZ Sports passed along com read news >>

Former UFC champ Jose Aldo says he accepted fight with Jeremy Stephens in Singapore

• a day ago

Jose Aldo wanted Rio de Janeiro. Jeremy Stephens wanted Chicago. But the UFC featherweights seem to be headed toward Singapore in June. read news >>

Forget CM Punk and Conor McGregor; Nick Newell is perfect UFC opponent for Floyd Mayweather

• 16 hours ago

It sounds like madness, but Nick Newell could be the perfect opponent if boxer Floyd Mayweather enters the UFC octagon for an MMA bout. read news >>

Conor McGregor opens as big favorite over Floyd Mayweather for potential UFC fight

• 7 hours ago

It should come as no surprise that Conor McGregor is favored big over Floyd Mayweather in a hypothetical MMA fight. read news >>

Seven-months pregnant Miesha Tate fought off a big dog to save her own

• 14 hours ago

Thankfully, this situation described by Miesha Tate didn’t end up much worse than it could’ve. read news >>

Jose Aldo Claims He Already Accepted a Fight Against Jeremy Stephens in June | MMAWeekly.com

• 12 hours ago

It's been nearly a decade since Jose Aldo last competed in a non-title fight but it appears he's one step closer towards that reality with his next bout in the UFC. Following two straight losses to c read news >>

MMA's week out of the cage: Dana White's son wins boxing debut, Conor McGregor's St. Patrick's Day

• a day ago

Check out the best social media posts from fighters and their lives outside of the cage in the past week. read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Tells TMZ He's Going to Apply for MMA License

• 22 hours ago

Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s transition to MMA is one step closer to becoming a reality. Mayweather told TMZ he is planning to apply for a license that will allow him to compete in mixed martial arts, with read news >>

Max Holloway on Twitter exchanges with Conor McGregor: 'This guy's been picking on me'

• 19 hours ago

Max Holloway explained why he won’t allow himself to be bullied by fellow UFC champion Conor McGregor. read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Insists He's Going to Apply for MMA License | MMAWeekly.com

• 17 hours ago

Floyd Mayweather continues to insist his potential foray into MMA is the real deal. read news >>

Dana White: Nate Diaz 'Is Not Interested in Fighting' | MMAWeekly.com

Nate Diaz says he's ready to fight again but Dana White's not buying it. Just recently, Diaz dropped a message on Instagram teasing a possible return to action for the first time since 2016 while tar read news >>

Search for: