The mystery surrounding middleweight Alexandre “Cacareco” Ferreira’s withdrawal from a scheduled UFC 134 bout against Rousimar Palhares has finally been solved.

Last week, news emerged that Dan Miller had stepped in to replace Ferreira against “Toquinho” in Rio de Janeiro on Aug. 27, though the reason for the switch was not immediately clear. Ferreira’s manager, Josef Borges, informed Tuesday that the Brazilian submission specialist was released by the UFC after refusing to sign a bout agreement to fight Palhares.

“Unfortunately, Cacareco was released by the UFC when he refused to sign the contract to fight against Toquinho,” explained Borges. “He was called to fight at ‘UFC Rio’ in March, and when he found out that the opponent was Palhares, he started to claim difficulties with making weight. Ferreira then said it was better for him not to sign the contract, and he didn’t decide what to do until, eventually, the UFC got tired of waiting and released him via letter.”

This was not the first time Ferreira refused to clash with his countryman. Ferreira and Palhares were originally slated to lock horns at March’s UFC Live 3, but Cacareco pulled out of that fight in January, citing distress over the tragedies caused by flooding in his home state of Rio de Janeiro.

Ferreira’s only fight under the UFC banner came at UFC 122 in November, when he was knocked out by fellow veteran Vladimir Matyushenko in the first round of their 205-pound contest. Borges revealed that the Brazilian had since exhibited “lazy performances” and missed numerous practices at Chute Boxe Academy, who released him from the team in January.

“When I knew he was looking for a team, I called Rudimar [Fedrigo, leader of Chute Boxe] and told him to hire Cacareco,” said Borges. “However, [Cacareco] showed no interest in training, even when he signed with the UFC after almost a year of trying to convince [UFC matchmaker] Joe Silva to give him a shot. He knew I was close to making the deal for him, and he still went on a TV show to blame his unluckiness.

“The result of the fight shows everything. He was completely out of shape and was easily defeated by Matyushenko. The UFC gave him another shot, extended his contract, and the other issues happened in sequence.”

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Manager: Josh Barnett has no future plans to compete at Metamoris

  • 19 days ago

Not only is Josh Barnett not currently scheduled to compete against Chael Sonnen at an upcoming Metamoris submission grappling event, don't expect him to compete for the promotion anytime soon. "Josh read news >>

Tweet of the Day: Jones ‘very angry’ about shady Belfort lab results for UFC 152

  • 11 days ago

According to manager Malki Kawa, Jon Jones is ‘very angry’ about seemingly being kept in the dark about Vitor Belfort’s shady drug test at UFC 152 in Toronto. On September 4th, 2012, less than three read news >>

Jon Jones’ plea hearing set up for hit-and-run case

  • 15 days ago

Former UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones is scheduled to go in front of a judge in the coming weeks. Several weeks ago, revealed that former UFC champ Jon Jones' legal team was read news >>

Ronda Rousey vs. Holly Holm Ticket Sales Reportedly on Course to Set UFC Record

  • 15 days ago

Ronda Rousey’s scheduled bout with Holly Holm at UFC 193 looks set to be watched by a record crowd, with a reported 70,000 spectators set to pack the Etihad Stadium in Melbourne for the showpiece. Ac read news >>

Luke Rockhold: People are close minded, believe in hype train that is UFC

  • 17 days ago

Luke Rockhold is the No. 1 UFC middleweight contender, scheduled to fight champ Chris Weidman at UFC 194. But there was a time not too long ago when he was pretty much a nobody in the eyes of UFC fan read news >>

Rory MacDonald vs. Hector Lombard being discussed for 2016

  • 18 days ago

It looks like a welterweight bout that was scheduled for last April might still be on the table for the UFC. A bout that was originally scheduled for UFC 186 might be something the UFC goes back to. read news >>

Andre Fili vs. Gabriel Benitez slated for Monterrey event

  • 18 days ago

Featherweight prospects Andre Fili and Gabriel Benitez are scheduled to square off at the TUF Latin America 2 Finale on Nov. 21 in Monterrey, Mexico, UFC officials announced Thursday.Fili, who is 2-2 read news >>

ONE Championship Releases Full ‘ONE: Tigers of Asia’ Kuala Lumpur Fight Card

  • 19 days ago

ONE: Tigers of Asia is set for Oct. 9. The full 12-fight card was released Thursday with reigning middleweight champion Igor Svirid set to defend against Vitaly Bigdash. read news >>

Olympic gold medalist Cejudo won't fight in Nevada following Nick Diaz suspension

  • 19 days ago

Henry Cejudo's manager sent a letter to MMAFighting, where he explained that the former Olympian will no longer fight in Nevada, following the news of Nick Diaz' 5 year suspension. #FreeNickDiaz is i read news >>

Video: UFC 192 promo released for 'Cormier Vs. Gustafsson' event on October 3

  • 22 days ago

We're a few weeks away from UFC 192, which will feature a Light Heavyweight title fight between division king Daniel Cormier taking on the much larger Alexander Gustafsson, inside The Toyota Center o read news >>