#UFC London #Fabricio Werdum #Alexander Volkov #Conor McGregor #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Tony Ferguson #Jimi Manuwa #Jan Blachowicz #UFC 223 #Thug Rose

Tyron Woodley: Beating Nate Marquardt Will Bring Respect I Deserve

Tyron Woodley will finally get his shot at Strikeforce gold on Saturday when he meets Nate Marquardt for the promotion’s vacant welterweight title.

Ahead of the matchup, Woodley joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss his opponent, what a win would mean and more.

On what he expects from Marquardt: “I’m just expecting the best Nate. The fact that he’s making a weight cut, whether or not he’s coming off TRT, whether his body’s feeling differently or he hasn’t fought in a year -- all those things, I just kind of don’t even factor in. I just factor that I’m feeling good. I’m going to go out there and fight hard. I’m going to win this fight and I’m going to be a world champion.”

On the fight being scheduled for five rounds: “It matters, but the thing that’s more important than five rounds is the preparation that went behind this fight. The amount of notice, the amount of time granted to get prepared -- I had the time I needed. I didn’t have to feel like I was rushing and pressuring myself and doing a crash course on getting in shape to make sure I was tiptop. I was able to be progressional and I was able to peak. I’ll be ready to roll. I’ll be at my best on Saturday.”

On whether he’ll follow Chael Sonnen’s game plan against Marquardt: “I think I’ve got to not so much follow a particular game plan of someone else because that person has a different body. They fight a different way. Chael, he’s going to walk forward, as you saw this past weekend. That’s his style. That’s not going to be my style. I can take some of the things that he does well and I can implement those things into my game plan as well as some other opponents who had some good moments against Nate, even if they didn’t win. You’ve got to look at weaknesses of your opponent and try to sharpen yourself up and also look at it from his point of view, what things he might be looking at, that he thinks he can exploit of mine, and make sure I close those gaps.”

On Marquardt’s submission game: “He has a good guillotine choke, a good kimura, goes for good leg locks and he’s a strong individual, but I think the team I fight for has some of the best jiu-jitsu practitioners in the world. … If I’m in half guard, I don’t have to worry about getting hit with a triangle or armbar. It’s not going to happen. I’ve just got to worry about getting swept or leg locked or get put in a guillotine or a kimura, but I won’t have to worry about the posture that I’ll have to keep to get out of an armbar or a triangle. I just know when I get to certain spots what to look out for and also which ways I can be offensive.”

On whether Marquardt has an edge in experience: “I’ve probably wrestled 2,000 or 3,000 wrestling matches in my life. Experience is experience. Having to make weight, getting butterflies, competing against top-notch people -- that’s experience.”

On what a win would mean: “I feel as if I’m the uncrowned champion already. I think it will get me the respect I deserve. It will crack me into the top 10, where I should be. It will put my city, my gym, everybody who supports me, it will put us on the map where we should be.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:29:55).

Tyron Woodley Fights

• a year ago

UFC on FOX 28's Ben Saunders finally gets wish to fight in hometown

It’s been 11 years since UFC welterweight Ben Saunders fought in his adopted home town, but not for lack of trying. read news >>

Dana White Finally Spoke to Jon Jones For the First Time Since UFC 214 | MMAWeekly.com

Following seven months of silence, UFC president Dana White and former light heavyweight champion Jon Jones are back on speaking terms after they had a conversation this week. Jones remains on provis read news >>

Dana White Believes Nick Diaz is Finally Ready to Fight Again | MMAWeekly.com

Nick Diaz might be ready to return to action. After a hiatus that stretches all the way back to 2015 when he faced former middleweight champion Anderson Silva, Nick Diaz may be looking to return to a read news >>

After five straight losses, ex-UFC champ Andrei Arlovski finally started listening

Andrei Arlovski’s career has stretched decades, but during his most recent fight, he heard something he hadn’t in a long time: his cornerman. read news >>

Did Hector Lombard really deserve to be disqualified at UFC 222?

Hector Lombard definitely struck C.B. Dollaway after the bell, but here’s why that doesn’t mean he necessarily deserved to be disqualified. read news >>

UFC 223: Ferguson vs. Khabib Official Trailer - "Nowhere to Hide" | MMAWeekly.com

There's nowhere to hide when interim lightweight champion Tony Ferguson and Khabib Nurmagomedov finally square off inside the Octagon at UFC 223 on April 7. read news >>

Ronda Rousey Teams with Kurt Angle for First WWE Match at WrestleMania 34 | MMAWeekly.com

Ronda Rousey has finally booked her first in ring appearance as part of the WWE roster. The former UFC women's champion appeared on 'Monday Night Raw' this week where she engaged in another altercati read news >>

Curtis Blaydes gets home fight vs. Alistair Overeem at UFC 225 in Chicago

Chicago native Curtis Blaydes will get a home fight against former Strikeforce champ Alistair Overeem at UFC 225 in June. read news >>

Tyron Woodley Says He is Training Floyd Mayweather for Possible UFC Debut | MMAWeekly.com

Despite most writing off Floyd Mayweather's MMA interest as a tease, UFC champ Tyron Woodley said that he is preparing to train Mayweather in mixed martial arts. read news >>

UFC Champ Tyron Woodley Could Have Floyd Mayweather Ready for MMA in 2.5 Months

Floyd "Money" Mayweather jumping into MMA would, naturally, be huge money for everyone involved. Even with a transition still in a hypothetical stage, people across the sport are looking to get a sli read news >>

Tyron Woodley Insists He Could Have Floyd Mayweather UFC Ready in Short Oder (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

While everyone is doubting Floyd Mayweather's sincerity about jumping into the mixed martial arts arena, UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley is taking it rather seriously, believing he can have t read news >>

Daily Debate: Does Nick Newell deserve a long-awaited shot in the UFC?

Nick Newell keeps racking up wins, but is it enough to earn him a shot in the UFC octagon? read news >>

Daily Debate: Which UFC purchase was most valuable? Strikeforce, WEC or PRIDE?

The UFC has brought three other major promotions into its fold over the years: PRIDE, the WEC and Strikeforce. Which was the best move? read news >>

After emotional rollercoaster, John Phillips ready to make long-awaited UFC debut in London

Welsh knockout artist John Phillips finally is a UFC fighter, and he can’t wait to jump into the octagon for the first time. read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Will Work with UFC Champ, Needs 6-8 Months of MMA Training

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley recently discussed on his TMZ segment Hollywood Beatdown (h/t Bloody Elbow's Milan Ordonez) how he's going to act as something of an MMA coach for Floyd Maywea read news >>

Tyron Woodley Continues to Lay Out a Plan for Floyd Mayweather's MMA Training | MMAWeekly.com

Even though Floyd Mayweather himself once wrote off his mixed martial arts chatter as bluster, the situation has heated up recently with Mayweather and UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley talking read news >>

Search for: