#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Darren Till #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Nick Diaz #Donald Cerrone #Robbie Lawler #Dominick Cruz

Tyron Woodley will finally get his shot at Strikeforce gold on Saturday when he meets Nate Marquardt for the promotion’s vacant welterweight title.

Ahead of the matchup, Woodley joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss his opponent, what a win would mean and more.

On what he expects from Marquardt: “I’m just expecting the best Nate. The fact that he’s making a weight cut, whether or not he’s coming off TRT, whether his body’s feeling differently or he hasn’t fought in a year -- all those things, I just kind of don’t even factor in. I just factor that I’m feeling good. I’m going to go out there and fight hard. I’m going to win this fight and I’m going to be a world champion.”

On the fight being scheduled for five rounds: “It matters, but the thing that’s more important than five rounds is the preparation that went behind this fight. The amount of notice, the amount of time granted to get prepared -- I had the time I needed. I didn’t have to feel like I was rushing and pressuring myself and doing a crash course on getting in shape to make sure I was tiptop. I was able to be progressional and I was able to peak. I’ll be ready to roll. I’ll be at my best on Saturday.”

On whether he’ll follow Chael Sonnen’s game plan against Marquardt: “I think I’ve got to not so much follow a particular game plan of someone else because that person has a different body. They fight a different way. Chael, he’s going to walk forward, as you saw this past weekend. That’s his style. That’s not going to be my style. I can take some of the things that he does well and I can implement those things into my game plan as well as some other opponents who had some good moments against Nate, even if they didn’t win. You’ve got to look at weaknesses of your opponent and try to sharpen yourself up and also look at it from his point of view, what things he might be looking at, that he thinks he can exploit of mine, and make sure I close those gaps.”

On Marquardt’s submission game: “He has a good guillotine choke, a good kimura, goes for good leg locks and he’s a strong individual, but I think the team I fight for has some of the best jiu-jitsu practitioners in the world. … If I’m in half guard, I don’t have to worry about getting hit with a triangle or armbar. It’s not going to happen. I’ve just got to worry about getting swept or leg locked or get put in a guillotine or a kimura, but I won’t have to worry about the posture that I’ll have to keep to get out of an armbar or a triangle. I just know when I get to certain spots what to look out for and also which ways I can be offensive.”

On whether Marquardt has an edge in experience: “I’ve probably wrestled 2,000 or 3,000 wrestling matches in my life. Experience is experience. Having to make weight, getting butterflies, competing against top-notch people -- that’s experience.”

On what a win would mean: “I feel as if I’m the uncrowned champion already. I think it will get me the respect I deserve. It will crack me into the top 10, where I should be. It will put my city, my gym, everybody who supports me, it will put us on the map where we should be.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:29:55).

Galleries

Tyron Woodley Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Champion Andrea Lee Thinks He's A Better Fighter Than Her LFA 23 Opponent | MMAWeekly.com

Andrea Lee will finally get the opportunity to defend her 125-pound title when she takes on Jamie Thorton in the LFA 23 co-main event on Friday. read news >>

Paige VanZant Reveals Title and Cover for Her New Book Due Out in 2018 | MMAWeekly.com

Paige VanZant will release her first book in 2018 and she's finally revealed the title and the cover for her upcoming autobiography. The book will be titled "Rise: Surviving the Fight of My Life", wh read news >>

After postponement for UFC 215 fight, Jeremy Stephens finally got married over the weekend

After pushing back his wedding to fight at UFC 215, Jeremy Stephens had his wedding over the weekend.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Aspen Ladd Finally Books Long Awaited UFC Debut Fight in Poland | MMAWeekly.com

Highly touted bantamweight prospect Aspen Ladd has finally booked her Octagon debut against Lina Lansberg at UFC Fight Night in Poland on Oct. 21. UFC officials announced the new matchup on Tuesday. read news >>

UFC Champ Tyron Woodley Drops MLK on NFL Kneelers | MMAWeekly.com

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley recently seemingly weighed in on the NFL kneeling controversy. read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie rankings, Sept. 26: Does Jessica Andrade deserve another title shot?

With both the UFC and Bellator in action over the weekend, plenty of fighters had a chance to make a statement, but perhaps none did more so than Jessica Andrade.Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, read news >>

Dominick Cruz Returns; Cynthia Calvillo Booked Against Former Champ at UFC 219 | MMAWeekly.com

Former bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz has finally booked his next fight as he will face off with Jimmie Rivera at UFC 219 in Las Vegas on Dec. 30. Cruz has been out of action since losing the ba read news >>

UFC 216's Fabricio Werdum: I deserve title shot with impressive win over Derrick Lewis

Fabricio Werdum believes an impressive win vs. Derrick Lewis at UFC 216 should get him the next shot at heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 216: Ferguson vs. Lee Odds, Tickets, Predictions and Pre-Weigh-in Hype

At UFC 216, the lightweight division will finally have an active title picture for the first time in the Conor McGregor era. Either Tony Ferguson or Kevin Lee will become the interim title holder in read news >>

Demetrious Johnson's Armbar Was Crazy, but to Be GOAT He Needs New Challenges

Demetrious Johnson's quest for history was finally realized Saturday at UFC 216. As usual, he made it look easy. Johnson systematically demolished the overmatched Ray Borg in their co-main event figh read news >>