#UFC 217 #Conor McGregor #Michael Bisping #GSP #UFC Fight Night 55

Renan Barao

Renan Barao

Renan Barao defends his interim UFC bantamweight title against Michael McDonald in the main event of UFC on Fuel TV 7 on Saturday and is expecting a great fight.

Barao defeated Urijah Faber at UFC 149 on July 12, 2012, to capture the interim title.  He was expecting to face champion Dominick Cruz to unify the belts, but Cruz suffered a setback in his recovery from knee surgery and was forced to withdraw from the bout.

Michael McDonald is who he faces now, but Barao doesn’t look at the fight any differently.

“It’s not a different fight for me.  I’ve trained hard for this.  All the fights I’ve had were important.  The most important fight for me is the next one, so I’m here to give it my best,” said Barao at the UFC on Fuel TV 7 pre-fight press conference.

It will be the first time McDonald has fought in a title fight and his first time competing in England.  Barao has done both, but doesn’t feel it gives him an advantage.

“I don’t feel I have an advantage over him because of this.  I just feel that I’m really focused, 100-percent focused.  I have to do my job,” he said.

Barao is expecting McDonald to be a tough fight and has prepared accordingly.

“I think this will be a great fight.  Michael McDonald has been showing his work.  He’s shown that he is a tough opponent and a fighter who moves forward.  I think it will be a great fight and a tough fight,” Barao told UFC.com.

“I train with the best fighters in the world.  I have the best in the world on my team and we all train really hard at Nova Uniao.  I think it will be a war and I’m well prepared for everything.  If I need to exchange, I’ll exchange.  If I need to take down, I will take down.  If I need to use jiu-jitsu, I will.”

Barao says this is the best training camp he’s had heading into a fight.

“I know this will be a great battle, a great fight.”

Galleries

Renan Barao Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC champ Cody Garbrandt calls T.J. Dillashaw 'a gimme,' looks toward 'Mighty Mouse'

UFC bantamweight champion Cody Garbrandt expects ex-champ T.J. Dillashaw to be a stopover on his ultimate goal of taking the title from flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson.Filed under: Featured, News, read news >>

Firas Zahabi defends GSP from Bisping's steroid allegations – then compliments champ

Firas Zahabi has heard plenty of steroid allegations directed at Georges St-Pierre over the years, so Michael Bisping’s didn’t bother him.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Cody Garbrandt Predicts He'll Knock TJ Dillashaw Out at UFC 217 (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Bantamweight champ Cody Garbrandt defends his title for the first time against rival, former chamion, and No. 2 ranked TJ Dillashaw at UFC 217. read news >>

Derek Brunson Expects the Best Lyoto Machida, the Machida that was UFC Champion | MMAWeekly.com

Derek Brunson is expecting the championship caliber Lyoto Machida, despite the Dragon's two-year layoff. read news >>

Robert Whittaker Breaks Down Michael Bisping vs. Georges St-Pierre (UFC 217) | MMAWeekly.com

Interim middleweight champion Robert Whittaker shares his thoughts on the main event of UFC 217 between Michael Bisping and Georges St-Pierre. read news >>

UFC interim champ Robert Whittaker picked Michael Bisping, will wait for Georges St-Pierre

Robert Whittaker favored Michael Bisping to beat Georges St-Pierre at UFC 217, but it looks like he’ll fight GSP instead.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Robert Whittaker: Georges St-Pierre 'looked slower than he's ever been' at UFC 217

If UFC interim middleweight champion Robert Whittaker gets the next crack at Georges St-Pierre, he feels good about his chances.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Georges St-Pierre is injured, but interim UFC titleholder Robert Whittaker is a patient man

UFC interim middleweight champion Robert Whittaker is apparently a patient man.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

LFA 27 Results & Fight Highlights: Robert Watley Defends Lightweight Belt | MMAWeekly.com

In his first LFA title defense, lightweight Champion Robert Watley (9-1) took out challenger Daryl Wilson (7-2), winning by TKO in the third round. read news >>

ABC head expects UFC will sanction Conor McGregor for Bellator 187 cage jump – and says he's off UFC 219

ABC head Mike Mazzulli is evaluating legal options for how to handle the cage-hopping incident involving Conor McGregor at Bellator 187.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, UFC read news >>