#UFC Fight Night 123 #UFC 218 #Brian Ortega #Cub Swanson #Conor McGregor #Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux #UFC 217 #Francis Ngannou #GLORY Redemption #Alistair Overeem

Michael Bisping - UFC on Fox 2For the past nearly five years, Michael Bisping has come close on a couple of occasions to finally reaching his goal of getting a UFC middleweight title shot.

He came up short in both of those fights, losing once to Dan Henderson and, in the other, dropping a close decision to Chael Sonnen in a fight he took on a week’s notice.

Now Bisping has been declared the No. 1 contender in the middleweight division by UFC president Dana White. All he has to do to get that elusive title shot is to get past Vitor Belfort at UFC on FX 7 on Jan. 19.

In the past, Bisping has always come across as supremely confident, and maybe at times even cocky with his belief in himself, but looking back at those past fights he can honestly say it wasn’t the right time to get a title shot and maybe that was the deciding factor in both losses.

The times have changed, however, and as he stands on the precipice of his UFC dream coming true, Bisping is as ready as he’s ever been.

“In the past I’ve said I believed it, and I certainly talked the talk, but I think if I searched deep inside my soul, maybe I knew that I wasn’t ready or maybe didn’t fully expect to win. Now I know I’m one of the best in the world. I’ve been around this sport long enough. I’m very successful. I’m full of confidence. My skill set is better than it’s ever been, my athletic ability is better than it’s ever been, and I’m certainly in my prime,” Bisping told MMAWeekly Radio.

“I’m destined to be world champion. I will be world champion one day. You can guarantee that. I’m ready to take this title 100-percent.”

During Bisping’s tenure in the UFC middleweight division, one man has stood as king the entire time. Anderson Silva‘s reign is nothing short of legendary, and he’s held the title with an iron grip, destroying every middleweight that’s stepped in front of him during his time as champion.

In recent interviews, Silva has expressed interest in a fight with Bisping, and the British born fighter takes that as an extreme compliment. One he hopes to pay back by earning the shot to face him in the Octagon later this year.

“It’s like if you’re a boxer and Floyd Mayweather’s saying ‘that’s the guy I want to fight next.’ That’s a huge compliment. It’s the same with Anderson Silva. He’s saying they’ve got their eyes on me. He obviously recognizes the talent, he recognizes the threat, he knows it’s a marketable match-up. It’s a fight people are going to pay to see,” said Bisping.

“It’s very complimentary and it’s a testament to what I’ve achieved and how hard I’ve worked in this sport.”

Silva is currently sitting out and awaiting word on his next fight, but if Bisping is successful this weekend in Brazil, the match-up will almost be a lock in the next few months.

“Anderson wants this fight as well; a lot of people will tune in to watch. I believe I can give Anderson a run for his money, certainly a much better fight than some of the other people have done lately,” Bisping stated.

Bisping isn’t looking too far ahead because as much as he wants that title shot and a fight against Anderson Silva, it all goes away if he can’t get past Vitor Belfort this weekend at UFC on FX 7. All of the accolades and compliments are nice, but Bisping wants a title shot, and to do that he knows he has to earn it.

“I’ve been after this for a long, long time,” said Bisping “But I’ve got to beat Vitor first.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest UFC on FX 7 news and fight coverage.

Galleries

Anderson Silva Fights

• 10 months ago

Michael Bisping Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Michael Bisping and Kelvin Gastelum UFC Shanghai Media Call | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of UFC) After Anderson Silva was pulled from the UFC Shanghai main event because of a potential anti-doping violation, Michael Bisping agreed to step into the fight with Kelvin Gastelum wit read news >>

Michael Bisping: Anderson Silva 'completely destroyed' legacy with second failed drug test

Michael Bisping always has spoken highly of fellow former middleweight champion Anderson Silva – until now.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Michael Bisping: Anderson Silva 'Completely Destroys' His Legacy Following Latest Failed Drug Test | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Bisping and Kelvin Gastelum comment on Anderson Silva being flagged by USADA again read news >>

Anderson Silva 'working very closely with USADA' to figure out failed drug test

Anderson Silva addressed his fans on Twitter to update them on the situation surrounding his failed USADA test.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

As lawsuit looms, UFC-Sydney's Tim Means rails on shady supplement companies

Tim Means is facing two opponents heading into his latest UFC matchup: Belal Muhammad, and an entire shady industry, as he sees it.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Relive Michael Bisping's TKO Win Over Cung Le (UFC Shanghai Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Take a look back at Michael Bisping's TKO win over Cung Le. Bisping steps in on short notice to face Kelvin Gastelum in the main event of Fight Night Shanghai. read news >>

What happened to Anderson Silva, and why don't we seem to care?

The man who’s a consensus choice for greatest middleweight of all time, and at least among the top pound-for-pound fighters in MMA history, now has more drug test failures than wins in the last three read news >>

Before UFC-Shanghai, watch Michael Bisping's 2014 bout with Cung Le

Before the UFC set its debut in mainland China for this coming weekend, the organization visited Macau, where Michael Bisping headlined against Cung Le in 2014.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Georges St-Pierre: 'My entourage told me it was a bad idea' to fight Michael Bisping at UFC 217

Georges St-Pierre admits there was some conflict within his team regarding his comeback vs. Michael Bisping at UFC 217.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jose Aldo: If proven guilty, Anderson Silva's 2nd drug-test failure diminishes legacy 'a lot'

Jose Aldo has been quick to defend Anderson Silva in the past, but he’s having a hard time now.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>