#Conor McGregor #UFC Fight Night 83 #UFC Fight Night 117 #Gokhan Saki #Nate Diaz #Jon Jones #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Michael Bisping

Michael Bisping - UFC on Fox 2For the past nearly five years, Michael Bisping has come close on a couple of occasions to finally reaching his goal of getting a UFC middleweight title shot.

He came up short in both of those fights, losing once to Dan Henderson and, in the other, dropping a close decision to Chael Sonnen in a fight he took on a week’s notice.

Now Bisping has been declared the No. 1 contender in the middleweight division by UFC president Dana White. All he has to do to get that elusive title shot is to get past Vitor Belfort at UFC on FX 7 on Jan. 19.

In the past, Bisping has always come across as supremely confident, and maybe at times even cocky with his belief in himself, but looking back at those past fights he can honestly say it wasn’t the right time to get a title shot and maybe that was the deciding factor in both losses.

The times have changed, however, and as he stands on the precipice of his UFC dream coming true, Bisping is as ready as he’s ever been.

“In the past I’ve said I believed it, and I certainly talked the talk, but I think if I searched deep inside my soul, maybe I knew that I wasn’t ready or maybe didn’t fully expect to win. Now I know I’m one of the best in the world. I’ve been around this sport long enough. I’m very successful. I’m full of confidence. My skill set is better than it’s ever been, my athletic ability is better than it’s ever been, and I’m certainly in my prime,” Bisping told MMAWeekly Radio.

“I’m destined to be world champion. I will be world champion one day. You can guarantee that. I’m ready to take this title 100-percent.”

During Bisping’s tenure in the UFC middleweight division, one man has stood as king the entire time. Anderson Silva‘s reign is nothing short of legendary, and he’s held the title with an iron grip, destroying every middleweight that’s stepped in front of him during his time as champion.

In recent interviews, Silva has expressed interest in a fight with Bisping, and the British born fighter takes that as an extreme compliment. One he hopes to pay back by earning the shot to face him in the Octagon later this year.

“It’s like if you’re a boxer and Floyd Mayweather’s saying ‘that’s the guy I want to fight next.’ That’s a huge compliment. It’s the same with Anderson Silva. He’s saying they’ve got their eyes on me. He obviously recognizes the talent, he recognizes the threat, he knows it’s a marketable match-up. It’s a fight people are going to pay to see,” said Bisping.

“It’s very complimentary and it’s a testament to what I’ve achieved and how hard I’ve worked in this sport.”

Silva is currently sitting out and awaiting word on his next fight, but if Bisping is successful this weekend in Brazil, the match-up will almost be a lock in the next few months.

“Anderson wants this fight as well; a lot of people will tune in to watch. I believe I can give Anderson a run for his money, certainly a much better fight than some of the other people have done lately,” Bisping stated.

Bisping isn’t looking too far ahead because as much as he wants that title shot and a fight against Anderson Silva, it all goes away if he can’t get past Vitor Belfort this weekend at UFC on FX 7. All of the accolades and compliments are nice, but Bisping wants a title shot, and to do that he knows he has to earn it.

“I’ve been after this for a long, long time,” said Bisping “But I’ve got to beat Vitor first.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest UFC on FX 7 news and fight coverage.

Galleries

Anderson Silva Fights

• 7 months ago

Michael Bisping Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Conor McGregor: 'Essentially, I Am Representing the UFC' | MMAWeekly.com

UFC lightweight champ Conor McGregor talks about his training at the UFC Performance Institute days before his boxing debut against Floyd Mayweather Jr. read news >>

Conor McGregor Trash Talks Floyd Mayweather During Intense Face Off Following Weigh-Ins | MMAWeekly.com

Floyd Mayweather had concerns about Conor McGregor making weight but he shouldn't be worried any longer. After both men enjoyed a long walk to the stage with a very pro-Irish crowd packed inside the read news >>

Bisping vs. St-Pierre and Garbrandt vs. Dillashaw Official for UFC 217 | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Bisping vs. Georges St-Pierre is now official, taking the UFC 217 headlining slot. read news >>

Conor McGregor Feels Ref Stopped Floyd Mayweather Fight Too Early | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor talks about his feelings on the referee stoppage and breaks down the Floyd Mayweather fight. read news >>

Jon Jones issues cryptic tweet one week after second drug fail

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is facing a potential four-year suspension and the loss of his undisputed title. But to read his Twitter feed on Sunday, you’d think he had not a care in the read news >>

Introspective Floyd Mayweather on Hood Rich and Father Being in Prison | MMAWeekly.com

Following his final fight, an introspective Floyd Mayweather talks about his beginnings in the inner-city and having a father in prison at the age of sixteen. read news >>

UFC 215 Countdown: Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg | MMAWeekly.com

On the verge of breaking Anderson Silva's record for title defenses, Demetrious Johnson and his longtime coach brace for a career-making moment. read news >>

One UFC middleweight standout's take on Georges St-Pierre vs. Michael Bisping

There’s been a fair amount of hand-wringing over the upcoming UFC middleweight title bout between Georges St-Pierre and Michael Bisping, but UFC middleweight Brad Tavares takes no issue with it. File read news >>

Demetrious Johnson: TJ Dillashaw Superfight Demands Superfight Money | MMAWeekly.com

Leading up UFC 215, Demetrious Johnson talks about his frosty relationship with Dana White over refusing to fight TJ Dillashaw. read news >>

A for effort, D- for execution: Michael Bisping tries Valentina Shevchenko's nifty dance moves

UFC middleweight champion and UFC 215 commentator Michael Bisping gave it a solid effort, even if the results left something to be desired.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>