#UFC Fight Night 118 #Bellator 185 #Darren Till #Donald Cerrone #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Artem Lobov #Andre Fili #Karolina Kowalkiewicz #Kristina Williams #Bellator MMA #Jan Blachowicz #Devin Clark #Heather Hardy #Sam Alvey

Mark Hunt is a man who has seen his ups and downs during more than two decades of fighting.

The 2001 K-1 world grand prix champion, Hunt transitioned to mixed martial arts in 2004 and won five of his first six bouts before dropping six straight fights. Though initially unwanted by the UFC during the organization’s buyout of Pride, Hunt shocked many observers by winning four straight contests after stumbling in his UFC debut.

Now, the 39-year-old likely stands just one victory away from a title shot, as the New Zealander meets former champion Junior dos Santos on Saturday night at UFC 160. Although many fans and media members counted Hunt out during his losing streak, the heavyweight recently told Sherdog.com that he never lost faith in himself.

“Other people may be surprised, but I’ve always believed I was the best fighter in the world,” Hunt said. “I’m just trying to prove it in a different sport. Twelve years after winning the K-1 world title -- whatever happened in between -- it just shows that I’m not a quitter. You understand that? I’m here till the end.

“It’s been 22 years [I’ve been] a fighter. I had my first fight a week after meeting my first trainer. When God says it’s time for me to be done, then I’m done. In my heart, I still think I’m supposed to be fighting,” Hunt continued. “That’s why I’m still here, after six losses in a row, getting beaten down and still coming back. It’ll happen when I’m told it’s going to happen. If it comes this weekend that I don’t feel like fighting anymore, that’s what’s going to happen, but they’ll have to carry me out of the cage. I’ll go out on my back. I don’t give a damn.”

In dos Santos, Hunt faces a heavy-handed Brazilian whose lone UFC loss came to reigning champion Cain Velasquez. Much like his opponent, “Cigano” has earned the vast majority of his victories by way of knockout, a fact of which Hunt -- a man known for his iron chin and punching power -- is well aware.

“It’s the heavyweight division, and anything can make this really, really dangerous for the other person. Honestly, if he thinks there’s not going to be [danger] if I touch him with anything, he’s going to be in trouble,” said Hunt. “I’ve always said that anyone can be knocked out. It’s just a matter of where, when and how you get hit. It doesn’t matter how hard you hit. It’s just a matter of timing. If they get it right, you’re done.”

Galleries

Junior Dos Santos Fights

• 5 months ago

Mark Hunt Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Relive Fabricio Werdum's UFC 180 KO of Mark Hunt (Fight Flashback) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Fabricio Werdum defeat Mark Hunt for the UFC heavyweight interim title at UFC 180. read news >>

UFC Signs New Beer Sponsor Following the End of Deal with Bud Light | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC has inked a multi-year, multi-million deal with Modelo Especial to serve as the official beer sponsor of the organization in the United States starting in 2018. The deal comes as the UFC's cu read news >>

Is CM Punk's return to UFC imminent? He's apparently training like it is

What are the chances CM Punk fights in the UFC before the end of the year?Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Mark Hunt Rips Dana White in Profanity-Laced Instagram After UFC Sydney Removal

Mark Hunt issued an expletive-filled message to UFC President Dana White after the heavyweight fighter was removed from the UFC Fight Night show in Sydney, Australia, on Nov. 19. Hunt's message to Wh read news >>

Mark Hunt Blasts Dana White and the UFC After Being Pulled from UFC Fight Night in Australia | MMAWeekly.com

Mark Hunt knows exactly why he was pulled from the UFC Fight Night card in Australia although his excuse most likely doesn't jive with the reasons the promotion gave him the hook. On Tuesday, Hunt wa read news >>

UFC cites 'medical concerns,' pulls Mark Hunt from UFC Fight Night 121 in favor of Fabricio Werdum

UFC officials today announced that Mark Hunt will no longer compete in the promotions’s return to Australia.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Fabricio Werdum Steps into UFC Main Event in Sydney, Mark Hunt Erupts Over Being Pulled | MMAWeekly.com

Three days removed from his most recent fight and Fabricio Werdum has already been booked for his next trip to the Octagon. Following a quick submission win over late notice replacement Walt Harris a read news >>

Dana White Claims He's Only Saving Mark Hunt from Himself | MMAWeekly.com

Dana White says he yanked Mark Hunt from UFC Fight Night headliner to save him from himself. read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: UFC's decision to sideline Mark Hunt against his will is a tricky one

Can the UFC sideline a fighter for writing about symptoms of brain trauma? What precedent does that set? That and more in Twitter Mailbag.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dana White: Pulling Mark Hunt from UFC Sydney Was to Protect Him from Himself

UFC President Dana White told TMZ Sports on Thursday the company decided to remove Mark Hunt from its event in Sydney next month as a medical precaution. "Sometimes, you gotta protect these guys from read news >>