#UFC Fight Night 55 #Fabricio Werdum #Marcin Tybura #UFC 217 #GSP #Michael Bisping

Mark Hunt is a man who has seen his ups and downs during more than two decades of fighting.

The 2001 K-1 world grand prix champion, Hunt transitioned to mixed martial arts in 2004 and won five of his first six bouts before dropping six straight fights. Though initially unwanted by the UFC during the organization’s buyout of Pride, Hunt shocked many observers by winning four straight contests after stumbling in his UFC debut.

Now, the 39-year-old likely stands just one victory away from a title shot, as the New Zealander meets former champion Junior dos Santos on Saturday night at UFC 160. Although many fans and media members counted Hunt out during his losing streak, the heavyweight recently told Sherdog.com that he never lost faith in himself.

“Other people may be surprised, but I’ve always believed I was the best fighter in the world,” Hunt said. “I’m just trying to prove it in a different sport. Twelve years after winning the K-1 world title -- whatever happened in between -- it just shows that I’m not a quitter. You understand that? I’m here till the end.

“It’s been 22 years [I’ve been] a fighter. I had my first fight a week after meeting my first trainer. When God says it’s time for me to be done, then I’m done. In my heart, I still think I’m supposed to be fighting,” Hunt continued. “That’s why I’m still here, after six losses in a row, getting beaten down and still coming back. It’ll happen when I’m told it’s going to happen. If it comes this weekend that I don’t feel like fighting anymore, that’s what’s going to happen, but they’ll have to carry me out of the cage. I’ll go out on my back. I don’t give a damn.”

In dos Santos, Hunt faces a heavy-handed Brazilian whose lone UFC loss came to reigning champion Cain Velasquez. Much like his opponent, “Cigano” has earned the vast majority of his victories by way of knockout, a fact of which Hunt -- a man known for his iron chin and punching power -- is well aware.

“It’s the heavyweight division, and anything can make this really, really dangerous for the other person. Honestly, if he thinks there’s not going to be [danger] if I touch him with anything, he’s going to be in trouble,” said Hunt. “I’ve always said that anyone can be knocked out. It’s just a matter of where, when and how you get hit. It doesn’t matter how hard you hit. It’s just a matter of timing. If they get it right, you’re done.”

Galleries

Junior Dos Santos Fights

• 6 months ago

Mark Hunt Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Mark Hunt Is Ripping Mad and Completely Uncertain About Future with UFC

UFC heavyweight Mark Hunt is an angry man, but it's not an opponent who has him ripping mad. It's the fact he doesn't have an opponent, or any real clue where his career is heading, following the UFC read news >>

Brian Kelleher wants to stay busy after UFC-Gdansk win; how about John Lineker in December?

It’s the end of the year, but Brian Kelleher would rather not slow down.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Is Dana White Pushing Mark Hunt Out of the UFC? 'They Turned on the Whistleblower' | MMAWeekly.com

Saying that he is healthy and medically fit to fight, Mark Hunt claims Dana White and the UFC are trying to push him out. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 119 results: Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos outworks Max Griffin in slugfest

Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos hurt Max Griffin at the end of the first round, but then had to deal with Griffin’s comeback attempts later.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 119 post-event facts: Is this the end of Lyoto Machida?

Check out all the facts, figures and footnotes from UFC Fight Night 119, which took place Saturday in Sao Paulo.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Dana White fires back at Mark Hunt: 'How can you take your own words out of context?'

UFC President Dana White suggested he has no choice but to pull Mark Hunt from an upcoming UFC headliner, and the heavyweight’s recent complaints make little sense, he said.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC makes debut in Belem, Brazil, with UFC Fight Night event on Feb. 3

A UFC Fight Night event will takes place Feb. 3 in at Mangueirinho Gymnasium in Belem, Brazil.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Holding choke too long? UFC-Sao Paulo's Pedro Munhoz says he was instead just surprised

While it might have seemed like Pedro Munhoz held a choke too long, the UFC Fight Night 119 winner says looks can be deceiving. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Avenges Loss to Matt Serra (UFC 217 Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

The last time former welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre felt defeat inside the Octagon was at UFC 69 in 2007 when Matt Serra finished him in the first round. read news >>

Colby Covington issues formal apology (but not really) to 'any filthy animal I offended'

Colby Covington has issues a formal apology for his UFC Fight Night 119 antics, but it’s likely not what you expect.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>