#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Nick Diaz #Fight Night Rotterdam #Michael Bisping #Darren Till #Holly Holm #Anderson Silva #Demetrious Johnson

After winning a unanimous decision over Ian McCall on Feb. 2 at UFC 156, Joseph Benavidez is right back in the title mix at 125 pounds.

In a recent interview with the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show, he discussed his victory over McCall, flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson and more.

On the decision against McCall: “I thought it was very clear that I won the first and the third. Honestly, I think I won every minute of that fight besides the little mishap on the ground. Even that second round, I was winning until that happened, which that is another story.”

On how he got rocked in the second round: “I was rocked and I was recovering from something and I figured he hit me. When I told my cornermen, they were like, ‘Dude, you didn’t get hit or dropped by anything.’ Watching the replay, I shot directly in past him and right into his knee. I guess it just rocked my head. I was rocked down there and I thought I got punched.”

On where he stands in the division: “I think I’m right there. I think I’m the next best in the weight class. Demetrious is obviously the champion because he’s beat the next three best guys. A lot of champions, even now, even the reigning champions, they haven’t fought those next three guys. They might have wiped out the rest of the guys down there, but most of the champions haven’t fought the number two-, three- and four-ranked guys right now at this moment and defeated them. Demetrious has.”

On Johnson’s title defense against John Dodson: “I loved it. It was a champion’s performance. He was a champion. He faced adversity in the second round, and where he won the fight was the championship rounds. Everyone’s going to be skilled and powerful and be good at this and that, but he showed those other attributes he has: his heart and his cardio and those small things that separate champions from other fighters. … I was happy for him. I was happy for the weight class. It was a great showcase because also, the challenger, Dodson, fought amazing. I think he’s as dangerous as anybody for three rounds.”

On what’s next: “I’m willing to fight whoever the UFC wants me to. I’m ready for any fight. If the UFC wants to give me a title shot, of course I’m going to do everything in my power to go out there and take it and I’ll be ready. I really, really believe I can defeat ‘Mighty Mouse’ this time and fight a lot better fight. If they want me to fight someone else, I’ll just be even better by the time I do get the title shot. I think that’s inevitable at some point.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:54:20).

Galleries

Demetrious Johnson Fights

• a year ago

Joseph Benavidez Fights

• 10 months ago

Comments

Where does UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson rank his record winning streak?

Demetrious Johnson is on the cusp of UFC history, but you wouldn’t know it by hearing him talk about it.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Video: Hardy, Gooden break down Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg at UFC 216

Check out UFC analysts Dan Hardy and John Gooden with their breakdown of the UFC 216 co-main event between Demetrious Johnson and Ray Borg.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Gauging Greatness: Is Demetrious Johnson Really Anderson Silva's Equal?

I bought my first Bill James Baseball Abstract in 1986, just another source of information to fuel my nascent fantasy baseball obsession. I mention this seemingly unrelated nugget of personal informa read news >>

UFC 216 staff picks: Does anyone dare pick against all-time great Demetrious Johnson?

Check out our staff’s picks for the UFC 216 main card inside, including a pair of title fights in Las Vegas. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

For Demetrious Johnson's head coach, PED users have no place in GOAT discussions

Demetrious Johnson’s head coach Matt Hume sees a number of attributes in Ray Borg’s game, but “none of them are better than Demetrious.”Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Bellator 184 results: Leandro Higo outworks Joe Taimanglo for unanimous decision

Leandro Higo outworked Joe Taimanglo over 15 minutes to pick up the first Bellator win of his career. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Predicts When He'll Finish Ray Borg at UFC 216 | MMAWeekly.com

Flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson chases history on Saturday when he takes on Ray Borg in the UFC 216 co-main event at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Darrion Caldwell's title-winning victory over Eduardo Dantas at Bellator 184

See the top Twitter reacts to Darrion Caldwell’s win over Eduardo Dantas in the Bellator 184 main event.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Reveals His Top 3 Favorite Title Defenses | MMAWeekly.com

Flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson is on the verge of setting history for the most consecutive title defenses in the promotion's history. read news >>

UFC 216 preview: A closer look at Demetrious Johnson's career statistics

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson returns tonight in search of history in UFC 216’s co-headlining act. Check out his amazing career stats.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>