#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #Luke Rockhold #GGG #David Branch #DWTNCS #Conor McGregor #UFC 215 #Golovkin vs. Canelo #HBO Boxing PPV - Golovkin vs. Canelo

With his unanimous decision over Ian McCall at UFC on FX 3, Demetrious Johnson advanced to the UFC flyweight tournament final and he’s already forming his strategy to win it.

Joseph Benavidez will be the opponent standing in his way.

“The thing I’ve got to watch out for with Joseph is that obviously he knows where I’m weak at, which is take me down and hold me there and ground-and-pound me and all that stuff,” Johnson told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “I’m just going to go back, work on my ground, my wrestling and my standup because I think I can take him on the feet. Nobody in the UFC has beat me on the feet yet. I’ve got to keep using my footwork, using my hands and my elevation change and all that good stuff and staying fluid out there and just take it to Joseph.”

Benavidez advanced to the final with a second-round stoppage of Yasuhiro Urushitani in March. He’ll pose an unorthodox challenge, but Johnson has been in the cage with unorthodox fighters before. Last October, “Mighty Mouse” went five rounds with Dominick Cruz.

“You keep your hands up,” Johnson said when asked how he would handle Benavidez’s style. “You keep your footwork moving. You move yourself all the time, and it’s going to be hard for him to track you down. It’s just like when I fought Dominick. Everybody was like, ‘Man, his footwork’s so hard to deal with. It’s so hard to stay with him.’ But if you’ve been raised to fight correctly and just move with your opponent and move while you strike and never get off balance and just attack, attack, then you’re able to deal with that.”

The fight could happen sooner than initially expected after Johnson’s win over McCall. Following that bout he’d been told he had a hernia, but that doesn’t appear to be the case. Johnson still plans on getting an X-ray on his right hand as well, but if he’s cleared, he’ll be ready to discuss when he can fight Benavidez.

Regardless of when the match comes together, Johnson expects it to be a thriller.

“He’s never been finished his whole entire career,” Johnson said. “It would be nice to finish him, but I don’t see that happening. It’s going to be a great fight. It’s probably going to be Fight of the Year at 125. We’re going to deliver. There’s a reason why Dana White put this weight class in the UFC and we’re going to prove once again why he did it.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:46:45).

Galleries

Demetrious Johnson Fights

• a year ago

Joseph Benavidez Fights

• 9 months ago

Comments

Ray Borg says he's going to end Demetrious Johnson's career in UFC 215 title fight

Ray Borg believes he’s not only going to upset UFC flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson, but also retire him at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Predicts Mayweather vs. McGregor Upset | MMAWeekly.com

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson breaks down the Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor super fight and predicts an upset. read news >>

UFC 215 lineup set with 2 title fights in Edmonton, including Demetrious Johnson's quest for record

The lineup is set for the UFC’s return trip to Canada next month, including a pair of title fights at the top of the bill. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 215: Demetrious Johnson vs Ray Borg Media Call (FULL Audio) | MMAWeekly.com

Listen in on the UFC 215: Johnson vs. Borg media conference call featuring Demetrious Johnson, Ray Borg, Amanda Nunes, and Valentina Shevchenko. read news >>

UFC 215: Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg Extended Preview | MMAWeekly.com

Take an extended preview into UFC 215, which features the flyweight title fight between Demetrious Johnson and Ray Borg and women's bantamweight title bout. read news >>

UFC 215 Countdown: Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg | MMAWeekly.com

On the verge of breaking Anderson Silva's record for title defenses, Demetrious Johnson and his longtime coach brace for a career-making moment. read news >>

Ray Borg says he'll easily make weight for UFC 215 title fight; Demetrious Johnson believes him

“I’ve corrected my mistakes,” Ray Borg says of his past weight-cut struggles.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Demetrious Johnson is fine being a target for others, but he has UFC history to make first

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson reflects on being called out by Cody Garbrandt and T.J. Dillashaw and the potential for future fights with them.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson: Mayweather-McGregor hoopla can't take away from my history

Demetrious Johnson doesn’t care if his upcoming fight promotion has taken a backseat to Mayweather-McGregor.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Reebok didn't flub Demetrious Johnson's T-shirt; UFC champ plans on changing his nickname

It looked like the UFC’s official apparel partner flubbed again with Demetrious Johnson’s nickname. Not so, says “Mighty Mouse” (for now).Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UF read news >>