#UFC on Fox 29 #Jon Jones #Dustin Poirier #Conor McGregor #Daniel Cormier #Justin Gaethje #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Alexander Gustafsson #Kevin Lee #Stipe Miocic #Nate Diaz #UFC New York #UFC 217 #Edson Barboza #Tony Ferguson

Anderson Silva down to clown UFC champ Michael Bisping – and why he wants rematch, regardless of belt

Former longtime UFC middleweight champion and MMA great Anderson Silva said he enjoys his social-media clashes with current titleholder Michael Bisping. Still, he wants to fight him again for real.

The two vets first met in February 2016, but 3-1 favorite Silva (33-8 MMA, 16-4 UFC) fell to Bisping (30-7 MMA, 20-7 UFC) via unanimous decision in UFC Fight Night 84’s thrilling headliner.

It kickstarted a remarkable year for the surprisingly resurgent Bisping, who went on to upset Luke Rockhold for the title and then defended it with a revenge victory over longtime rival Dan Henderson. The 37-year-old was a finalist for MMAjunkie’s 2016 Fighter of the Year and picked up the top honor from other media outlets.

Silva, meanwhile, went on to suffer a short-notice loss to light-heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier in a non-title bout at UFC 200. Despite the setback, which has left him with a five-fight winless skid (four losses and a no-contest with Nick Diaz), Silva remains one of the biggest names in the sport. Still, when it comes to social media and Twitter, Bisping is one of his favorite dance partners.

“Actually, he is controversial,” Silva told “Combate News” on Combate (and translated by MMAjunkie). “Every now and then, he posts something, taunts. I actually shouldn’t keep up with the pace of his taunting, but it’s funny because people follow us on Twitter, and it’s cool, because they end up interacting.

“It’s nice, in a level, because it’s healthy. We are not attacking each other. Although he sometimes crosses the line, it’s healthy. And I think it’s important for the fans to have that interaction of taunting each other a little bit, within our limits and what we feel is right.”

Silva, 41, said that even without a scheduled bout, he remains a fixture in the gym, and he’s ready to jump immediately into a fight camp. Ideally, he said, he’ll fight in June or July, preferably in Brazil, where he kicked off an accomplished pro career 20 years ago.

As for Bisping, though, Silva feels there’s some unfinished business. Their 2016 bout was MMAjunkie’s “Fight of the Month,” and fans were buzzing about it for weeks afterward.

Silva, though, is quick to remind us that much of the buzz focused on some in-bout controversy. At the end of the third round, Bisping called for a timeout to retrieve his mouthpiece. Silva, knowing only a ref can call for a timeout, quickly unloaded a flying knee that floored the Brit. After some confusion, the fight eventually continued, and Bisping survived to get the unanimous-decision victory.

“In my opinion, I won,” Silva said. “It was very controversial because he landed two strikes when I was out of balance. He ended up getting the points. There was a situation when he was on top for a while, but I think I won the fight. Because when he ate the knee, the bell rang. And the rule, if I’m not mistaken, says he needs to get up on his own to go to his corner. He didn’t get up on his own and, while I was up in the cage, the commission came in.

“The commission never enters if the fight isn’t over. So when the commission came in, I was already celebrating, because he was knocked out. It’s a sport, I didn’t have to keep attacking him, also because the bell rang. But it’s done, it’s over. After he was knocked down, they brought in the stool for him to sit. The commission helped him get up and sit on the stool. He didn’t get up on his own. He was sitting in my corner, then they removed the stool, and put it in his corner, and he was sitting down for a while.”

After such a delay, Silva said he should have been declared the victor right there. However, the past is the past, he said, and he’s not questioning the champ’s credentials, especially in light of his wins over Rockhold and Henderson.

“In my opinion, I (beat Bisping),” he said. “But it’s OK. He’s the champion, he needs to be respected, and I hope to have another opportunity to fight him regardless of it being for the belt.”

At this point in his career, Silva, who posted a record 10 consecutive UFC title defenses from 2006-2013, said he’s not worried as much about title fights as he is putting on a good show for his fans.

“The truth is that I still have a few fights left in my contract,” he said. “I have, I think, still five or six fights left in my contract. I intend to do them. And since I fight in the (middleweight) division, there may be (a rematch with Bisping). Depending on my performances, I might have the opportunity to fight for the belt again.

“But it’s not something that I’m seeking. I want to do the fights that I need to for my contract. (I want to) put on good fights, of course, and I hope to win all of them and give a good show to the fans.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Anderson Silva Fights

• a year ago
  • 11976 views

Michael Bisping Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Michael Bisping on Conor McGregor: 'Just Lose the F--king Chip on the Shoulder'

Former UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping implored Conor McGregor to "lose the f--king chip on [his] shoulder" following the MMA star's arrest in Brooklyn last week. "Just lose the chi read news >>

UFC champ Daniel Cormier still wants third Jon Jones fight, and 'that'll never change'

UFC champ Daniel Cormier wants to share the octagon with Jon Jones one last time before he retires from MMA competition. read news >>

UFC's Joe Rogan wants to see 'win money' phased out of MMA payment structure

Joe Rogan believes dividing fighter payment in MMA into “show” money and “win” money is a dated idea which should be removed from the sport. read news >>

UFC champ Amanda Nunes, a rare favorite, not worried about training link with Pennington

Amanda Nunes knows there will be questions about how much she knows about Raquel Pennington – and how much Pennington might know about her. read news >>

Do win bonuses incentivize MMA fighters to give their all – or play it safe?

Longtime UFC commentator Joe Rogan recently argued for getting rid of win bonuses in MMA contracts. Does it serve a purpose to pay someone twice as much for winning as you do for losing? Or does it a read news >>

Elias Theodorou is officially an Invicta FC #RingBoy with a purpose

UFC middleweight Elias Theodoreau’s mission is to raise awareness on gender equality. read news >>

Michael Bisping 'definitely interested' in UFC-Liverpool for retirement fight, awaits opponent

Michael Bisping has played it cool up until this point, but with two months to go until UFC-Liverpool, he’s putting his chips on the table. read news >>

Michael Bisping 'Definitely Interested' In Retirement Fight at UFC Event in Liverpool | MMAWeekly.com

If the UFC needs to add another marquee fight to the upcoming card in Liverpool, England, Michael Bisping is ready and willing to step up to the challenge. The former UFC middleweight champion has go read news >>

Ronda Rousey: 'I don't need anyone else's approval to be proud of myself'

Former UFC champ Ronda Rousey reveals the time where she was looking for an “honorable way out” of her UFC career, and why she’s still proud of her accomplishments. read news >>

UFC 223's Kyle Bochniak wants to hijack Zabit Magomedsharipov's hype train

Kyle Bochniak knows he’s up against a creative threat in Zabit Magomedsharipov at UFC 223. But that style might lead to an upset. read news >>

Dana White Says Conor McGregor Wants to Fight Floyd Mayweather in UFC

UFC boss Dana White has told TMZ Sports that former boxer Floyd Mayweather is keen to try his hand at MMA and Conor McGregor would love to be his first opponent inside the Octagon... read news >>

Who's the best UFC champ in history: Demetrious Johnson or Georges St-Pierre? See the results of your vote

Our 32-fighter tournament picking the best champions in UFC history is in the books, and you’ve voted for the top titleholder of all time. 1 2 3 4 5 …6 read news >>

UFC 223's Max Holloway wants to be 2-division champ – because he'll actually defend both

Max Holloway plans to defend the UFC lightweight and featherweight belts if he wins at UFC 223. Something the first “champ champ” didn’t do. read news >>

UFC Champ Max Holloway Needs to Cut an Unhealthy Amount of Weight…in 6 Days

Max Holloway earned respect from MMA fans for having the moxy to accept a UFC 223 fight against lightweight contender Khabib Nurmagomedov on short notice after Tony Ferguson withdrew ... read news >>

Dustin Poirier cool without UFC 223 opportunity, wants to earn title old fashioned way

Of course, Dustin Poirier inquired with his promoter whether he was needed to headline UFC 223, but it’s OK that he isn’t. read news >>

UFC 223's Zabit Magomedsharipov: It's up to UFC to decide when I become champion

UFC 223’s Zabit Magomedsharipov wants to be UFC champion, but he said it’s at the promotion’s digression when he gets the belt. read news >>

Search for: