Mike Guymon at UFC 121Following a disappointing stretch in the UFC that saw him lose three of four fights, Mike “Joker” Guymon rebounded in 2012, winning back-to-back fights for the first time in three years.

“I ended up coming back and fought at lightweight – a weight class I had never fought at before – and I wanted to prove something to myself that I could come back off the medication, see if I could win, show what I can do and handle the weight loss,” said Guymon. “I was pleased to have two victories.

“The last victory I had (against Mike Dizak in July), I have no idea how I won that fight. I have no idea how I fought. I had a completely fractured shoulder and I ended up pulling through and winning, so I’m happy.”

Having taken time off to heal, Guymon will be looking to etch his third win in a row when he makes his promotional debut Thursday at Bellator 85 in Atlantic City, NJ against former IFL vet Savant Young.

“I’ve done a lot of research and talked to other fighters that Savant’s fought, and they all say the same thing, that he’s so explosive and when you think you’re out of punching distance, don’t underestimate how fast he can close that distance,” said Guymon. “I think I have an edge in cardio. I don’t see too many people being able to out-cardio me. I obviously have a huge height and size advantage. I plan on taking advantage of all that.

“I have to do everything on my terms. I can’t do things on his terms. I want to take away his explosiveness. I want to be moving in a direction where he can’t really do much. And then I want to explode and take advantage of those situations.”

For Guymon, to be able to step into Bellator is not only a chance to continue his career, but possibly put to rest the disappointing run he had in the UFC.

“I love the opportunity to step into Bellator,” he said. “It’s a huge promotion that’s coming up and getting a lot of recognition. I’m happy to have it on my resume and dealings with them so far.

“The last two fights in the UFC were so frustrating for me because I was so flat and was not me because of the medication I was taking. Now that I’ve moved past that, I’m excited to show people what I can do.”

While getting a shot in Bellator is a big move for Guymon’s career, don’t expect him to say he’s going to take the promotion by storm, but rather is focused on taking things one step at a time.

“I just want to take each fight as it comes and win it,” Guymon told MMAWeekly.com. “Right now, signing that three-fight contract and being a part of a tournament, I don’t see any of that, I only see Savant and I want to deal with him and that’s it. All I see is Savant.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest Bellator MMA news and fight coverage.

Frustrated with the career development of Bellator's Michael Page? Well he is, too

Michael Page’s career hasn’t exactly gone the way he or his devoted followers had hoped after more than four years in the game.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 153's Chris Honeycutt: Playing 'Russian roulette' led to first career loss

Chris Honeycutt rolled the dice the last time he entered the Bellator cage. The numbers didn’t come up in his favor, and he suffered the first loss of his career, by knockout, in just 40 seconds. It read news >>

Michael Page and Fernando Gonzalez set to meet at Bellator 158 in London

Michael Page will take the next step in his Bellator career when he faces streaking welterweight Fernando Gonzalez at Bellator 158.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Matt Mitrione makes Bellator debut against Carl Seumanutafa at Bellator 157

Matt Mitrione will step into the Bellator cage for the first time at Bellator 157 when the heavyweight squares off with Carl Seumanutafa.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 153 results: Andrey Koreshkov dominates Benson Henderson to retain title

All the talk leading up to Bellator 153 revolved around Benson Henderson’s jump from the UFC to Bellator. Andrey Koreshkov put a five round beating on Henderson to retain his welterweight title and r read news >>

Twitter reacts to Benson Henderson's upset loss to champ Koreshkov at Bellator 153

Benson Henderson was supposed to make waves in the first fight of his Bellator career at Bellator 153. Apparently Andrey Koreshkov didn’t receive the memo. Check out the top reactions to Koreshkov’s read news >>

Bellator 153 Results: Andrey Koreshkov Routes Benson Henderson to Keep the Belt

Benson Henderson received a rude welcome from welterweight champion Andrey Koreshkov at Bellator 153 on Friday night in Uncasville, Conn. read news >>

Andrey Koreshkov vs. Benson Henderson Results: Winner, Reaction for Bellator 153

When the Bellator brass decided to put new free-agent signing Benson Henderson in a title fight with Andrey Koreshkov, there was the potential for its reigning champion to receive a huge boost in pro read news >>

Bellator 153 Results: Winners, Scorecards from Koreshkov vs. Henderson Card

Bellator welterweight champion Andrey Koreshkov was too big and strong for Benson Henderson on Friday night at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut. The 25-year-old Russian dominated the form read news >>

Bellator 153 highlights: Benson Henderson falters, and Michael Page taunts after toehold

Benson Henderson’s heavily promoted Bellator debut didn’t go as planned – not for him, anyway. Check out the video highlights of that headliner and other Bellator 153 bouts.Filed under: Bellator, Fea read news >>