UFC's Chael Sonnen will fight on at 205 pounds, wants Wanderlei Silva


chael-sonnen-35.jpgDespite suffering a devastating loss to UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones at this past weekend’s UFC 159 event, Chael Sonnen (27-13-1 MMA, 6-6 UFC) will continue his fighting career – and he’ll do it at 205 pounds.

Sonnen revealed his plans on Tuesday’s new edition of “UFC Tonight” while simultaneously calling out MMA legend Wanderlei Silva (35-12-1 MMA, 6-6 UFC).

“I will definitely continue – and at 205 pounds, unless they come up with a catchweight,” Sonnen said. “They have a couple of people that do that. I know Rich Franklin has fought at catchweights a bunch, but I’m not going to be in contendership anytime soon, and neither is Rich Franklin or a pool of other guys. So there is a little bit of room where we could meet in the middle.

“Now that I’ve dropped Rich’s name, this wasn’t my way of challenging Rich. I was speaking to the point of the catchweight situation. I’m going to stick around.”

Sonnen said his decision to stay at light heavyweight was based on a lack of appropriate opponents at 185 pounds, as well as the benefit of not needing to cut weight to compete at 205 pounds.

“I’d rather give up the size but have a smile on my face.”

Sonnen said he wouldn’t completely rule out the idea of a return to middleweight if there’s a fight that makes sense in the class, for instance if Chris Weidman is able to unseat middleweight kingpin Anderson Silva at this summer’s UFC 162 event.

But for now, Sonnen’s immediate plans are to compete at light heavyweight. And if he could hand-pick his opponent, it would be against Wanderlei Silva, a man he’s openly bickered with in the past.

He’s called me out before, and I’ve called him out, but the fight never really made sense,” Sonnen said. “I was a contender, and he was just a guy on the card. Now I think the fight does make it a little more sense.

“I’m not leaving this sport. Whenever I get asked about retirement, I never say it, but I always think it: I’m not going anywhere until me and Wanderlei straighten this thing out once and for all.”

For more on the UFC’s schedule stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Chael Sonnen)

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 13 days ago
  • 96 views

Chael Sonnen's retirement from MMA hasn't exactly been silent. After the former UFC light heavyweight was suspended for two years by the Nevada Athletic Commission in July for testing positive for mu read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 7 views

The UFC's novelty circuit is alive and well. Truly, don't cry for it. Yes, it lost Rich Franklin earlier this year. Then it lost Chael Sonnen just as Uncle P. was riding in to reinforce it. It was ro read news >>

  • 17 days ago
  • 8 views

UFC heavyweight title challenger Fabricio Werdum isn’t convinced Wanderlei Silva’s trouble with the Nevada State Athletic Commission will tarnish his career.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 26 views

On this week's episode of The MMA Beat, the panel will discuss Wanderlei Silva's future, Eddie Alvarez getting released by Bellator and then signing with the UFC, the new UFC 178 lineup, what's at st read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 0 views

UFC veteran Wanderlei Silva won’t be meeting as planned today with the Nevada State Athletic Commission.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 0 views

On last week's edition of The MMA Beat, the panelists discussed a variety of interesting topics, including Eddie Alvarez singing with the UFC, his match-up against Donald Cerrone, Wanderlei Silva's f read news >>

  • 20 days ago
  • 3 views

Many of the most timeless submissions in the history of MMA unfolded unexpectedly. Anderson Silva's fifth-round triangle armbar of Chael Sonnen was a classic stunner simply because it spoiled a seemi read news >>

  • 19 days ago
  • 1 views

UFC’s return to Australia is not official yet, but it has its first bout already. Sydney’s own Anthony Perosh will be making his return to the Octagon against Brazilian striker Guto Inocente, who ret read news >>

  • 15 days ago
  • 134 views

UFC light heavyweight contender Alexander Gustafsson has heard Anthony Johnson’s request to fight, and for now, the answer is no. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>