chael-sonnen-35.jpgDespite suffering a devastating loss to UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones at this past weekend’s UFC 159 event, Chael Sonnen (27-13-1 MMA, 6-6 UFC) will continue his fighting career – and he’ll do it at 205 pounds.

Sonnen revealed his plans on Tuesday’s new edition of “UFC Tonight” while simultaneously calling out MMA legend Wanderlei Silva (35-12-1 MMA, 6-6 UFC).

“I will definitely continue – and at 205 pounds, unless they come up with a catchweight,” Sonnen said. “They have a couple of people that do that. I know Rich Franklin has fought at catchweights a bunch, but I’m not going to be in contendership anytime soon, and neither is Rich Franklin or a pool of other guys. So there is a little bit of room where we could meet in the middle.

“Now that I’ve dropped Rich’s name, this wasn’t my way of challenging Rich. I was speaking to the point of the catchweight situation. I’m going to stick around.”

Sonnen said his decision to stay at light heavyweight was based on a lack of appropriate opponents at 185 pounds, as well as the benefit of not needing to cut weight to compete at 205 pounds.

“I’d rather give up the size but have a smile on my face.”

Sonnen said he wouldn’t completely rule out the idea of a return to middleweight if there’s a fight that makes sense in the class, for instance if Chris Weidman is able to unseat middleweight kingpin Anderson Silva at this summer’s UFC 162 event.

But for now, Sonnen’s immediate plans are to compete at light heavyweight. And if he could hand-pick his opponent, it would be against Wanderlei Silva, a man he’s openly bickered with in the past.

He’s called me out before, and I’ve called him out, but the fight never really made sense,” Sonnen said. “I was a contender, and he was just a guy on the card. Now I think the fight does make it a little more sense.

“I’m not leaving this sport. Whenever I get asked about retirement, I never say it, but I always think it: I’m not going anywhere until me and Wanderlei straighten this thing out once and for all.”

For more on the UFC’s schedule stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Chael Sonnen)

Chael Sonnen Hit Hard by Joe Silva’s Retirement

Longtime UFC matchmaker Joe Silva, 20-plus years into his career, is calling it quits. Listen to Chael Sonnen's take on the gold standard for MMA matchmakers. read news >>

Chael Sonnen to Bellator: Latest Contract Details, Comments, Reaction

Veteran MMA fighter Chael Sonnen has left UFC and signed a multiyear deal with Bellator, Damon Martin of Fox Sports reported Thursday. MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani confirmed Martin's report. The 39-y read news >>

Chael Sonnen Leaves UFC, Signs with Bellator | MMAWeekly.com

Chael Sonnen has officially ended his retirement from MMA competition. But he's not coming back to the UFC. read news >>

Ronda Rousey Fought Chael Sonnen? Sonnen Tells the True Tale | MMAWeekly.com

Chael Sonnen, who is returning to the fight game in 2016 with Bellator, tells the tale of the time he and Ronda Rousey allegedly fought in a restaurant. read news >>

Why Did Chael Sonnen Return to Fight for Bellator, Not the UFC? | MMAWeekly.com

A day after Chael Sonnen inked a deal to return to MMA to fight for Bellator, not the UFC, the American Gangster hosted a throng of media to answer why. read news >>

Chael Sonnen Faces Crippling Fines if He Tests Positive at Bellator | MMAWeekly.com

In his return, Chael Sonnen has to endure much tougher drug testing scrutiny. If he slips up, his contract imposes crippling financial repercussions. read news >>

Why Does Nobody Care About Rico Verhoeven? | FIGHTLAND

Photo via GLORY Rico Verhoeven is two hundred and fifty pounds of muscle on a six foot five frame. He has beaten Peter Aerts, Daniel Ghita and Gokhan Saki in the ring, and he's one of the most polish read news >>

Return of the American Gangster: Chael Sonnen Opens Up About Move to Bellator

Chael Sonnen had every intention of returning to the UFC. Until he didn’t. Whatever the reason, one of the UFC’s most controversial, entertaining and bankable figures over the past seven years found read news >>

Tito Ortiz: Chael Sonnen Payback Would be a Great Way to End His Career | MMAWeekly.com

For Tito Ortiz, there is no better way to end his career than to exact payback upon Chael Sonnen. read news >>

Chael Sonnen's Anger Motivated His Return | MMAWeekly.com

Ready to fight at gangster weight, Chael Sonnen signed with Bellator to make his MMA return. He said it's because he is angry. read news >>