chael-sonnen-35.jpgDespite suffering a devastating loss to UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones at this past weekend’s UFC 159 event, Chael Sonnen (27-13-1 MMA, 6-6 UFC) will continue his fighting career – and he’ll do it at 205 pounds.

Sonnen revealed his plans on Tuesday’s new edition of “UFC Tonight” while simultaneously calling out MMA legend Wanderlei Silva (35-12-1 MMA, 6-6 UFC).

“I will definitely continue – and at 205 pounds, unless they come up with a catchweight,” Sonnen said. “They have a couple of people that do that. I know Rich Franklin has fought at catchweights a bunch, but I’m not going to be in contendership anytime soon, and neither is Rich Franklin or a pool of other guys. So there is a little bit of room where we could meet in the middle.

“Now that I’ve dropped Rich’s name, this wasn’t my way of challenging Rich. I was speaking to the point of the catchweight situation. I’m going to stick around.”

Sonnen said his decision to stay at light heavyweight was based on a lack of appropriate opponents at 185 pounds, as well as the benefit of not needing to cut weight to compete at 205 pounds.

“I’d rather give up the size but have a smile on my face.”

Sonnen said he wouldn’t completely rule out the idea of a return to middleweight if there’s a fight that makes sense in the class, for instance if Chris Weidman is able to unseat middleweight kingpin Anderson Silva at this summer’s UFC 162 event.

But for now, Sonnen’s immediate plans are to compete at light heavyweight. And if he could hand-pick his opponent, it would be against Wanderlei Silva, a man he’s openly bickered with in the past.

He’s called me out before, and I’ve called him out, but the fight never really made sense,” Sonnen said. “I was a contender, and he was just a guy on the card. Now I think the fight does make it a little more sense.

“I’m not leaving this sport. Whenever I get asked about retirement, I never say it, but I always think it: I’m not going anywhere until me and Wanderlei straighten this thing out once and for all.”

For more on the UFC’s schedule stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Chael Sonnen)

Morning Report: Bas Rutten wouldn't count Fedor Emelianenko out against Jon Jones at 205 pounds

UFC Hall of Famer Bas Rutten loves him some Fedor Emelianenko. The former PRIDE commentator sounds intrigued over the rumblings that Emelianenko may be making a return to fighting, but wants to see h read news >>

Wanderlei asks fans if McGregor fight was fixed, makes video bashing 'big liar' Dana White

Wanderlei Silva was not too convinced with how the main event of UFC 189 came to an end, and he also uploaded a video to support Jose Aldo and bash the UFC. Wanderlei Silva has spoken up again. The f read news >>

Chael Sonnen Says Edgar or Faber, Not Jose Aldo, Is Next for Conor McGregor

With unsettled dust still floating around our ears and noses in the wake of Conor McGregor's UFC 189 victory over Chad Mendes, we already look toward the Irish fighter's future. We're anticipating hi read news >>

Jose Aldo's coach hits back at Chael Sonnen: 'Thank God he is not the UFC president'

Jose Aldo's coach and manager, Andre Pederneiras was not happy at all with Sonnen's comments on Jose Aldo after his injury came to surface. Andre Pederneiras finally heard what Chael Sonnen had to sa read news >>

Chael Sonnen admits to 'd--k move' for making Chad Mendes' phone number public ahead of Conor McGregor fight

The former UFC two-division title challenger spoke with Bruce Buffer on the "It's Time!" podcast regarding the former's mini-feud with UFC 189 headliner Chad Mendes. Former UFC two-division title cha read news >>

Conor McGregor on Chael Sonnen weight cut comments: 'Don't believe everything you hear'

LAS VEGAS -- Chael Sonnen whipped the MMA community into frenzy -- which he is known to do -- when he said on Jim Rome last week that Conor McGregor had to cut almost 30 pounds in eight days to make read news >>

WWE Hall of Famer Mick Foley tells Chael Sonnen that 'no one will out-work or out-train' CM Punk in UFC

The legendary WWE wrestler was a guest on Chael Sonnen's "You're Welcome" podcast this week and gave some thoughts on CM Punk's transition from WWE to UFC. CM Punk has yet to make his UFC debut since read news >>

Ben Rothwell will beat Andrei Arlvoski in 'devastating fashion' to earn UFC title shot

With the way both men have been performing lately, is this the fight to make? Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) matchmakers have yet to confirm who will get first crack at recently-crowned UFC hea read news >>

The MMA Hour - 289 - Chael Sonnen

Chael Sonnen stopped by to catch up on all things "American Gangster." read news >>

Chael Sonnen: Conor McGregor’s media obligations have ‘crossed the line of being too much’

Few UFC fighters of the modern era possess the silver-tongued salesmanship of Chael Sonnen and Conor McGregor. Much like Sonnen before him, McGregor's rise to a featherweight title shot at UFC 189 wa read news >>