chael-sonnen-35.jpgDespite suffering a devastating loss to UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones at this past weekend’s UFC 159 event, Chael Sonnen (27-13-1 MMA, 6-6 UFC) will continue his fighting career – and he’ll do it at 205 pounds.

Sonnen revealed his plans on Tuesday’s new edition of “UFC Tonight” while simultaneously calling out MMA legend Wanderlei Silva (35-12-1 MMA, 6-6 UFC).

“I will definitely continue – and at 205 pounds, unless they come up with a catchweight,” Sonnen said. “They have a couple of people that do that. I know Rich Franklin has fought at catchweights a bunch, but I’m not going to be in contendership anytime soon, and neither is Rich Franklin or a pool of other guys. So there is a little bit of room where we could meet in the middle.

“Now that I’ve dropped Rich’s name, this wasn’t my way of challenging Rich. I was speaking to the point of the catchweight situation. I’m going to stick around.”

Sonnen said his decision to stay at light heavyweight was based on a lack of appropriate opponents at 185 pounds, as well as the benefit of not needing to cut weight to compete at 205 pounds.

“I’d rather give up the size but have a smile on my face.”

Sonnen said he wouldn’t completely rule out the idea of a return to middleweight if there’s a fight that makes sense in the class, for instance if Chris Weidman is able to unseat middleweight kingpin Anderson Silva at this summer’s UFC 162 event.

But for now, Sonnen’s immediate plans are to compete at light heavyweight. And if he could hand-pick his opponent, it would be against Wanderlei Silva, a man he’s openly bickered with in the past.

He’s called me out before, and I’ve called him out, but the fight never really made sense,” Sonnen said. “I was a contender, and he was just a guy on the card. Now I think the fight does make it a little more sense.

“I’m not leaving this sport. Whenever I get asked about retirement, I never say it, but I always think it: I’m not going anywhere until me and Wanderlei straighten this thing out once and for all.”

For more on the UFC’s schedule stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Chael Sonnen)

Jon 'Bones' Jones Rack-Pulls 600 Pounds, Says PED Accusations Are Flattering

Workouts like these have some people accusing Jon "Bones" Jones of taking steroids.However, rather than being offended, the UFC star takes those claims as compliments. Those accusations only come abo read news >>

Video: Diego Sanchez on edge in push to 145 pounds, 'TUF' finalists pushed apart

MONTERREY, Mexico – The UFC brought together 20 fighters from Saturday's UFC Fight Night 78 event for Ultimate Media Day in Monterrey, Mexico, and a couple of fighters you may not have heard of just read news >>

The ’Hungry lion,’ Diego Sanchez, deliriously dishes on featherweight fight

Diego Sanchez has 12 pounds to cut to make the 146-pound limit required for his next fight, and he’s feeling every ounce missing from his frame.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Vide read news >>

Ronda Rousey Comments on Future After Holly Holm Defeat

Roughly 24 hours after suffering the first defeat of her career, Ronda Rousey commented on her future and the state of her health following a brutal knockout. read news >>

Holly Holm shatters Ronda Rousey mythos with one devastating knockout (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Holm dissected Rousey en route to what might have been the biggest upset in UFC history. read news >>

'Cyborg' manager: No doubt who's baddest on planet, wants Rousey at 140 pounds

MELBOURNE, Australia – Moments after Holly Holm’s shocking upset of Ronda Rousey, Cristiane Justino’s manager was pushing for a 140-pound catchweight fight with the deposed champ.Filed under: News, U read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77: Thomas Almeida Scores Vicious Knockout over Anthony Birchak

We've seen some absolutely devastating knockouts over the years in MMA, but UFC bantamweight Thomas Almeida might've scored one of the most vicious in recent memory. Facing Anthony Birchak at UFC Fig read news >>

Chas Skelly Continuing to Establish Himself as a Top UFC Featherweight

After suffering the only loss of his career in 2014 to Mirsad Bektic in his UFC debut, featherweight Chas “Scrapper” Skelly has rebounded with three straight wins. read news >>

Wanderlei Silva Court Imposed Re-Hearing Delayed Due to Snafu

Wanderlei Silva's lifetime ban is set to be lifted, but he'll have to wait at least another month to learn the final outcome of the Nevada's reconsideration of his sanctions. read news >>