Anthony Johnson will return to the cage this spring, as the former UFC talent will headline Titan Fighting Championship 22 against a to-be-named opponent.

Titan confirmed the news Monday on its official website. Titan FC 22 takes place May 25 at Memorial Hall in Kansas City, Kansas., and airs live on HDNet. Terms of Johnson’s deal were not disclosed. No other participants have been announced for the show as of yet.

A former UFC welterweight standout, Johnson, 28, was released by the promotion earlier this year after losing a middleweight showdown via first-round submission to Vitor Belfort. Previously one of the welterweight division’s largest competitors, Johnson has been known to struggle with making the 170-pound limit, coming in overweight for his bouts with Rich Clementi and Yoshiyuki Yoshida, the latter of which occurred in 2009.

After making weight in three straight welterweight fights that saw him earn wins over Dan Hardy and Charlie Brenneman, Johnson failed to make the 185-pound limit in his UFC middleweight debut against Belfort on Jan. 14 at UFC 142 in Brazil. As a result, the fight was contested at a 197-pound catch-weight.

Regarded as a knockout striker during his time with the UFC, Johnson saw just one of his 11 Octagon appearances go to the judges’ scorecards. “Rumble” is expected to compete at middleweight in his Titan debut.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Ronda Rousey debuts on Fortune’s '40 Under 40' list for 2015

  • 15 days ago

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey may not be getting any love from the gang at Forbes, based on this recent list, but she's still in the good graces of F read news >>

Jon Fitch on UFC lawsuit: I'll fight until my death to support fighter cases and causes

  • 16 days ago

Welterweight veteran Jon Fitch sees his participation in a class-action lawsuit against UFC parent Zuffa as a statement against the unfair labor practices.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Vid read news >>

Thomson made $35,000 in sponsors for Bellator 142, 7 times more than Reebok deal

  • 16 days ago

Lightweight veteran Josh Thomson made 7 times more from sponsors in his Bellator debut than he would for his 5th fight in the UFC under the new Reebok sponsorship. According to MMA Fighting, Josh Tho read news >>

After successful debut, Josh Thomson says Bellator is family, unlike UFC

  • 16 days ago

Lightweight veteran Josh Thomson has fought for most of the major promotions in MMA’s history, and he says the vibe in Bellator is a lot different than the UFC.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC read news >>

UFC inks undefeated Karolina Kowalkiewicz for strawweight division

  • 18 days ago

Undefeated Polish strawweight Karolina Kowalkiewicz is apparently headed to the UFC.Filed under: News read news >>

Jon Fitch: Commission 'could've been looking for ass-kissing' from Nick Diaz

  • 19 days ago

UFC veteran Jon Fitch has some thoughts on why the Nevada Athletic Commission came down so hard on Nick Diaz. UFC veteran Jon Fitch, who's currently a plaintiff in a lawsuit against the promotion, ha read news >>

Video: Medical marijuana user Jon Fitch, WSOF 23 fighters blast Nick Diaz suspension

  • 22 days ago

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – Suspended UFC veteran Nick Diaz is getting some words of encouragement from his counterparts at WSOF.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos, WSOF read news >>

Kamuela Kirk replaces injured Isaac Vallie-Flagg against Estevan Payan at WSOF 23

  • 24 days ago

Strikeforce and UFC veteran Isaac Vallie-Flagg suffered an elbow injury which has forced him out of his WSOF 23 preliminary bout with Estavan Payan.Filed under: News, WSOF read news >>

Chael Sonnen says he's facing Josh Barnett in Metamoris

  • 25 days ago

Chael Sonnen, who debuts this Friday night as an announcer for the World Series of Fighting, announced on Monday that he would be facing Josh Barnett in a Metamoris submission grappling match later t read news >>

Former UFC veteran Pedro Rizzo retires after TKO win in Brazil

  • 25 days ago

After nearly 20 years in the fight game, Pedro Rizzo has decided to call it quits following his first-round technical knockout victory over Andrew Flores this past weekend (Sat., Sept 12, 2015) in Vi read news >>