Tyrone Spong Knocks Out Remy Bonjasky at Glory 5: London

• submit to reddit

Tyrone Spong vs Remy Bonjasky Glory 5 weighTyrone Spong knocked out kickboxing legend Remy Bonjasky with a thunderous right hand in the second round of the Glory 5: London main event on Saturday at ExCel Arena.

Spong, who made his mixed martial arts debut in November at World Series of Fighting 1, pressured Bonjasky the entire fight, walking him down and not giving him space to work his world famous kicking game.

The knockout came at the 2:02 mark of the second round.  Spong had Bonjasky in the corner and delivered a left hook counter to the chin of Bonjasky rendering him unconscious.

“I’ve put in a lot of work, hard work, and I know what I’m capable of, so I wasn’t surprised,” said Spong following the win.  “I just took my time.  I had three rounds and I took it easy.”

Spong knocked out another kickboxing legend, Peter Aerts, in his last kickboxing bout, and is looking for bigger challenges ahead.  He’d like to face Semmy Schilt next.

“I like challenges, and I’m just looking forward to fighting the best, so give me Semmy.  Give me whoever,” he said.

Bonjasky was left wondering what his future holds in a sport that he’s already accomplished so much.

“It was pretty tough.  I mean a three-year absence, three fights.  It’s hard when you’re 37 and trying to make a comeback,” said Bonjasky after the loss.  “It’s hard to make a good comeback.  My comeback has been rocky.  I did my best.  I’ve done everything, but my body says it’s hard.”

Spong is expected to return to mixed martial arts early this summer at World Series of Fighting 3.

Glory 5: London Results:

-Tyrone Spong  def. Remy Bonjasky by KO at 2:02, R2
-Jordan Watson def. Steve Moxon by unanimous decision (147-139)
-Albert Kraus def. Warren Stevelmans by unanimous decision (150-136)
-Stephen Wakeling def. Eddie Walker by KO at 1:38, R2
-Danyo Ilunga def. Stephane Susperregui by KO at :21, R2
-Michael Duut def. Dustin Jacoby by KO at 2:25, R1
-Mosab Armani def. Liam Harrison by KO at 1:20, R1
-Daniel Sam def. Jaideep Singh by unanimous decision (145-130)
-Johann Fauveau def. Constanin Pasniciuc by unanimous decision (148-137)
-Reece McAllister def. Tim ‘TNT’ Thomas by unanimous decision (150-135)
-Jhonata Oliveira def. Nicola Gallo by unanimous decision (140-135)

GLORY kickboxing competitor Tyrone Spong took to Instagram to divulge his feelings regarding the ongoing Israel-Palestine conflict. GLORY kickboxing competitor Tyrone Spong took to Instagram to express his concerns regarding the ongoing Israeli-Palestinian conflict in Gaza. "This picture says it all, when i see these childeren my heart breaks! Whats happening to our world? People need to be made uncomfortable in order to make change. "This is a serious case of ethnic cleansing and has been going read news >>

Renowned kickboxer Tyrone Spong says he will be looking to sit down with representatives of both WSOF and Glory in the coming weeks to discuss new deals. read news >>

According to UFC President Dana White, “every fighter in the UFC wants to fight in Ireland.” read news >>

The last time fans saw Tyrone Spong in action the result was a horrific injury. Now, UFC President Dana White is hinting that the next time we see Spong fight, it could be inside the Octagon. While speaking at the post-fight press conference for UFC Fight Night: McGregor vs. Brandao, White surprised everyone by saying "The King of the Ring" Spong was in the building. "I've got Tyrone Spong back here telling me, ‘Sign me for one fight,'" White said. Spong last competed under the Glory promotion a read news >>

Rafael Cordeiro scoffs at the idea that Lyoto Machida has a weak chin, which Ray Longo predicted will crumble if his pupil, Chris Weidman, connects at UFC 175. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight champion Chris Weidman and his UFC 175 opponent, Lyoto Machida, have kept it pretty vanilla -- as far as trash talk goes -- ahead of their title fight, which goes down this weekend (Sat., July 5, 2014) in Las Vegas, Nevada. Their respective trainers, however, have done the complete opposit read news >>

Ronda Rousey's head coach, Edmond Tarverdyan, believes his fighter can destroy anybody in her way—including Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos. While Rousey transitioned into the world of MMA from a decorated career in judo and has thus far decimated her competition with a series of throws and armbars, Tarverdyan thinks that the UFC women's bantamweight champ could defeat Santos without needing to touch the ground at all. She'd knock Cyborg out. "I love that fight (against Cyborg)," Tarverdyan said on Mo read news >>

TAIPEI, Taiwan -- Eric Kelly and Rob Lisita went head-to-head the One Fighting Championship 18 “War of Dragons” main event, as they engaged in a battle that left both fighters soaked in blood by the time the Filipino finished it with a second-round rear-naked choke on Friday at the NTU Arena. read news >>

Read a heart warming story told by MMA legend in Renzo Gracie in a series of tweets as he was at the airport. The randomness of social media is fascinating. When I usually write these 'Tweet of the Day' posts from various members of the MMA community, usually it's either about hilarious moments, online arguments, or fighters calling each other out. Renzo Gracie has been featured here in the past, most notably when he was live tweeting as he handled two muggers in New York. This edition is a bit read news >>

The second time around, there was no mistaking it for a low blow. "Cowboy" Donald Cerrone thought he had the finish earlier in the second round of his lightweight main event against Jim Miller on Wednesday night. But referee Dan Miragliotta erroneously ruled a perfectly placed body kick a low blow, giving Miller a reprieve. Cerrone wasn't fazed, though, and the finish came soon thereafter. Cerrone landed a head kick to earned the knockout at 3:31 of the second round, a spectacular end to an acti read news >>