Tyrone Spong Knocks Out Remy Bonjasky at Glory 5: London

Tyrone Spong vs Remy Bonjasky Glory 5 weighTyrone Spong knocked out kickboxing legend Remy Bonjasky with a thunderous right hand in the second round of the Glory 5: London main event on Saturday at ExCel Arena.

Spong, who made his mixed martial arts debut in November at World Series of Fighting 1, pressured Bonjasky the entire fight, walking him down and not giving him space to work his world famous kicking game.

The knockout came at the 2:02 mark of the second round.  Spong had Bonjasky in the corner and delivered a left hook counter to the chin of Bonjasky rendering him unconscious.

“I’ve put in a lot of work, hard work, and I know what I’m capable of, so I wasn’t surprised,” said Spong following the win.  “I just took my time.  I had three rounds and I took it easy.”

Spong knocked out another kickboxing legend, Peter Aerts, in his last kickboxing bout, and is looking for bigger challenges ahead.  He’d like to face Semmy Schilt next.

“I like challenges, and I’m just looking forward to fighting the best, so give me Semmy.  Give me whoever,” he said.

Bonjasky was left wondering what his future holds in a sport that he’s already accomplished so much.

“It was pretty tough.  I mean a three-year absence, three fights.  It’s hard when you’re 37 and trying to make a comeback,” said Bonjasky after the loss.  “It’s hard to make a good comeback.  My comeback has been rocky.  I did my best.  I’ve done everything, but my body says it’s hard.”

Spong is expected to return to mixed martial arts early this summer at World Series of Fighting 3.

Glory 5: London Results:

-Tyrone Spong  def. Remy Bonjasky by KO at 2:02, R2
-Jordan Watson def. Steve Moxon by unanimous decision (147-139)
-Albert Kraus def. Warren Stevelmans by unanimous decision (150-136)
-Stephen Wakeling def. Eddie Walker by KO at 1:38, R2
-Danyo Ilunga def. Stephane Susperregui by KO at :21, R2
-Michael Duut def. Dustin Jacoby by KO at 2:25, R1
-Mosab Armani def. Liam Harrison by KO at 1:20, R1
-Daniel Sam def. Jaideep Singh by unanimous decision (145-130)
-Johann Fauveau def. Constanin Pasniciuc by unanimous decision (148-137)
-Reece McAllister def. Tim ‘TNT’ Thomas by unanimous decision (150-135)
-Jhonata Oliveira def. Nicola Gallo by unanimous decision (140-135)

When Tyrone Spong and Gokhan Saki dropped to light-heavyweight, Danyo Ilunga found himself dislodged from the division's number one spot. Saki subsequently beat Spong to take the vacant GLORY world l read news >>

The world's last major kickboxing promotion hasn't renewed contracts with three of the sports biggest stars. Tyrone Spong, Gokhan Saki and Joe Schilling are all surprised that their deals have been a read news >>

The No. 8-ranked GLORY light heavyweight is the lone American in the GLORY 18 contender tournament. The Virginia-based kickboxer balances a full-time gig as an IT technician and his training regimen read news >>

Kickboxing premier league GLORY is in Oklahoma this week for GLORY 18: RETURN TO GLORY. It takes place Friday night at the Grand Casino Resort in Shawnee, Oklahoma City. On the card is a World Lightw read news >>

Saulo Cavalari knocked out Zack Mwekassa in the finals and won a unanimous decision over Danyo Ilunga to win the GLORY 18 light heavyweight contender tournament and Ramon Dekkers memorial trophy. The read news >>

Get all the details here on how to watch live kickboxing at Glory 18 Return to Glory in a live stream Friday November 7. Friday, November 7, Bloody Elbow presents fight coverage of Glory 18: Return t read news >>

Last month Spike TV ran a one-hour special featuring the best knockouts from the eighteen events staged by GLORY thus far. "Top 20 Knockouts: GLORY Kickboxing" aired on October 24 and has now been re read news >>

Wayne Barrett is ranked #2 in the GLORY middleweight division, with only bitter rival Joe Schilling above him. The New York man is on the hunt for a title shot against Russian champion Artem Levin so read news >>

Sherdog.com's Sam Genovese and Keith Mills report live from the Grand Casino Hotel Resort in Shawnee, Okla., with live Glory 18 play-by-play. read news >>

Jump to: