Tyrone Spong Knocks Out Remy Bonjasky at Glory 5: London

• submit to reddit

Tyrone Spong vs Remy Bonjasky Glory 5 weighTyrone Spong knocked out kickboxing legend Remy Bonjasky with a thunderous right hand in the second round of the Glory 5: London main event on Saturday at ExCel Arena.

Spong, who made his mixed martial arts debut in November at World Series of Fighting 1, pressured Bonjasky the entire fight, walking him down and not giving him space to work his world famous kicking game.

The knockout came at the 2:02 mark of the second round.  Spong had Bonjasky in the corner and delivered a left hook counter to the chin of Bonjasky rendering him unconscious.

“I’ve put in a lot of work, hard work, and I know what I’m capable of, so I wasn’t surprised,” said Spong following the win.  “I just took my time.  I had three rounds and I took it easy.”

Spong knocked out another kickboxing legend, Peter Aerts, in his last kickboxing bout, and is looking for bigger challenges ahead.  He’d like to face Semmy Schilt next.

“I like challenges, and I’m just looking forward to fighting the best, so give me Semmy.  Give me whoever,” he said.

Bonjasky was left wondering what his future holds in a sport that he’s already accomplished so much.

“It was pretty tough.  I mean a three-year absence, three fights.  It’s hard when you’re 37 and trying to make a comeback,” said Bonjasky after the loss.  “It’s hard to make a good comeback.  My comeback has been rocky.  I did my best.  I’ve done everything, but my body says it’s hard.”

Spong is expected to return to mixed martial arts early this summer at World Series of Fighting 3.

Glory 5: London Results:

-Tyrone Spong  def. Remy Bonjasky by KO at 2:02, R2
-Jordan Watson def. Steve Moxon by unanimous decision (147-139)
-Albert Kraus def. Warren Stevelmans by unanimous decision (150-136)
-Stephen Wakeling def. Eddie Walker by KO at 1:38, R2
-Danyo Ilunga def. Stephane Susperregui by KO at :21, R2
-Michael Duut def. Dustin Jacoby by KO at 2:25, R1
-Mosab Armani def. Liam Harrison by KO at 1:20, R1
-Daniel Sam def. Jaideep Singh by unanimous decision (145-130)
-Johann Fauveau def. Constanin Pasniciuc by unanimous decision (148-137)
-Reece McAllister def. Tim ‘TNT’ Thomas by unanimous decision (150-135)
-Jhonata Oliveira def. Nicola Gallo by unanimous decision (140-135)

GLORY kickboxing competitor Tyrone Spong took to Instagram to divulge his feelings regarding the ongoing Israel-Palestine conflict. GLORY kickboxing competitor Tyrone Spong took to Instagram to express his concerns regarding the ongoing Israeli-Palestinian conflict in Gaza. "This picture says it all, when i see these childeren my heart breaks! Whats happening to our world? People need to be made uncomfortable in order to make change. "This is a serious case of ethnic cleansing and has been going more

According to UFC President Dana White, “every fighter in the UFC wants to fight in Ireland.” more

The last time fans saw Tyrone Spong in action the result was a horrific injury. Now, UFC President Dana White is hinting that the next time we see Spong fight, it could be inside the Octagon. While speaking at the post-fight press conference for UFC Fight Night: McGregor vs. Brandao, White surprised everyone by saying "The King of the Ring" Spong was in the building. "I've got Tyrone Spong back here telling me, ‘Sign me for one fight,'" White said. Spong last competed under the Glory promotion a more

• a day ago

Renowned kickboxer Tyrone Spong says he will be looking to sit down with representatives of both WSOF and Glory in the coming weeks to discuss new deals. more

Ronda Rousey's head coach, Edmond Tarverdyan, believes his fighter can destroy anybody in her way—including Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos. While Rousey transitioned into the world of MMA from a decorated career in judo and has thus far decimated her competition with a series of throws and armbars, Tarverdyan thinks that the UFC women's bantamweight champ could defeat Santos without needing to touch the ground at all. She'd knock Cyborg out. "I love that fight (against Cyborg)," Tarverdyan said on Mo more

After a blistering 16 second knockout finish over Alexis Davis at UFC 175 on Saturday, for UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey, the world is her oyster. The sky is the limit. Whatever proverb or saying you'd like to pick, Rousey's future is as bright as one could possibly imagine for a professional prize fighter in 2014. Still, with seemingly no obvious fighter currently on the UFC's roster who stands out as a rival and an increasing interest from Hollywood in Rousey's services - not more

Ronda Rousey, international movie star (maybe), former Olympian, and UFC women's bantamweight champion, returned to the Octagon tonight (Sat., July 5, 2014) to defend her title against Alexis Davis in the co-main event of UFC 175: "Weidman vs. Machida" at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. And she did just that. In dominating fashion. Here's what happened, and try to keep up, okay? They met in the center of the cage and exchanged a few punches. Rousey landed a hard right hand t more

Mirko 'CroCop' Filipovic had a tough training camp for his GLORY 17 LOS ANGELES rematch with Jarrell 'Big Baby' Miller. The years of training have taken their toll. Soreness from training is a daily hell, a calf muscle tore under the strain and - worst of all - a cut on his elbow became infected and remained so for most of the camp plus the fight itself. It has required regular draining and is still being treated with antibiotics. Some eagle-eyed viewers will have noticed that Mirko "CroCop" Fil more

Rico Verhoeven is the new GLORY World Heavyweight Champion after beating Daniel Ghita at GLORY LAST MAN STANDING this past weekend. Ghita stays in the contender picture but won't be Verhoeven's first challenger. So who will it be? Here's five possible options GLORY could consider. Rico Verhoeven won the GLORY World Heavyweight Championship in the headline bout of the LAST MAN STANDING card, going 2-0 over his close rival Daniel Ghita in successive fights. The win takes Verhoeven out of the ranki more