Tyrone Spong Knocks Out Remy Bonjasky at Glory 5: London

Tyrone Spong vs Remy Bonjasky Glory 5 weighTyrone Spong knocked out kickboxing legend Remy Bonjasky with a thunderous right hand in the second round of the Glory 5: London main event on Saturday at ExCel Arena.

Spong, who made his mixed martial arts debut in November at World Series of Fighting 1, pressured Bonjasky the entire fight, walking him down and not giving him space to work his world famous kicking game.

The knockout came at the 2:02 mark of the second round.  Spong had Bonjasky in the corner and delivered a left hook counter to the chin of Bonjasky rendering him unconscious.

“I’ve put in a lot of work, hard work, and I know what I’m capable of, so I wasn’t surprised,” said Spong following the win.  “I just took my time.  I had three rounds and I took it easy.”

Spong knocked out another kickboxing legend, Peter Aerts, in his last kickboxing bout, and is looking for bigger challenges ahead.  He’d like to face Semmy Schilt next.

“I like challenges, and I’m just looking forward to fighting the best, so give me Semmy.  Give me whoever,” he said.

Bonjasky was left wondering what his future holds in a sport that he’s already accomplished so much.

“It was pretty tough.  I mean a three-year absence, three fights.  It’s hard when you’re 37 and trying to make a comeback,” said Bonjasky after the loss.  “It’s hard to make a good comeback.  My comeback has been rocky.  I did my best.  I’ve done everything, but my body says it’s hard.”

Spong is expected to return to mixed martial arts early this summer at World Series of Fighting 3.

Glory 5: London Results:

-Tyrone Spong  def. Remy Bonjasky by KO at 2:02, R2
-Jordan Watson def. Steve Moxon by unanimous decision (147-139)
-Albert Kraus def. Warren Stevelmans by unanimous decision (150-136)
-Stephen Wakeling def. Eddie Walker by KO at 1:38, R2
-Danyo Ilunga def. Stephane Susperregui by KO at :21, R2
-Michael Duut def. Dustin Jacoby by KO at 2:25, R1
-Mosab Armani def. Liam Harrison by KO at 1:20, R1
-Daniel Sam def. Jaideep Singh by unanimous decision (145-130)
-Johann Fauveau def. Constanin Pasniciuc by unanimous decision (148-137)
-Reece McAllister def. Tim ‘TNT’ Thomas by unanimous decision (150-135)
-Jhonata Oliveira def. Nicola Gallo by unanimous decision (140-135)

He's notorious, and he's knocking everybody out. Although it wasn't the main event of tonight's (Sat., Sept. 27, 2014) UFC 178: "Johnson vs. Cariaso" pay-per-view (PPV) at the MGM Grand Garden Arena read news >>

Have a nice wife and believe in yourself and you'll can do anything! The co-main event of tonight's (Fri., Sept. 5, 2014) UFC Fight Night 50: "Jacare vs. Mousasi" showcase from the Foxwoods Resort Ca read news >>

Ronaldo Souza finished Gegard Mousasi during the third round of their middleweight main event bout at UFC Fight Night “Jacare vs. Mousasi 2,” but “Jacare” came out of the bout read news >>

Demetrious Johnson made it look easy, dominating Chris Cariaso and finishing him off in the second round. Demetrious Johnson was a huge favorite over Chris Cariaso heading into the main event of UFC read news >>

Heavyweight kickboxing contender Benjamin Adegbuyi first made contact with Alexander Gustafsson earlier this year when he was brought over to Sweden to provide some stand-up sparring power for the li read news >>

Rejoice kickboxing fans, the paywall on one of the internet's biggest fight archives is coming down. When researching and watching old fights, few things have been tougher to get their hands on than read news >>

The GLORY middleweight and now Bellator light heavyweight looks to take advantage of a huge opportunity against Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal tonight (Sept. 5, 2014) at Bellator 123 in Uncasville, Conn., read news >>

• 4 hours ago

Glory World Series will return to the kickboxing circuit with Glory 18 “Return to Glory” on Nov. 7 at Grand Casino Hotel and Resort in Shawnee, Okla. read news >>

It's Christmas morning for kickboxing fans as the world's leading kickboxing promotion has granted paywall amnesty to all who follow the sport by announcing the release of the entire back catalog. No read news >>