Tyrone Spong Knocks Out Remy Bonjasky at Glory 5: London

Tyrone Spong vs Remy Bonjasky Glory 5 weighTyrone Spong knocked out kickboxing legend Remy Bonjasky with a thunderous right hand in the second round of the Glory 5: London main event on Saturday at ExCel Arena.

Spong, who made his mixed martial arts debut in November at World Series of Fighting 1, pressured Bonjasky the entire fight, walking him down and not giving him space to work his world famous kicking game.

The knockout came at the 2:02 mark of the second round.  Spong had Bonjasky in the corner and delivered a left hook counter to the chin of Bonjasky rendering him unconscious.

“I’ve put in a lot of work, hard work, and I know what I’m capable of, so I wasn’t surprised,” said Spong following the win.  “I just took my time.  I had three rounds and I took it easy.”

Spong knocked out another kickboxing legend, Peter Aerts, in his last kickboxing bout, and is looking for bigger challenges ahead.  He’d like to face Semmy Schilt next.

“I like challenges, and I’m just looking forward to fighting the best, so give me Semmy.  Give me whoever,” he said.

Bonjasky was left wondering what his future holds in a sport that he’s already accomplished so much.

“It was pretty tough.  I mean a three-year absence, three fights.  It’s hard when you’re 37 and trying to make a comeback,” said Bonjasky after the loss.  “It’s hard to make a good comeback.  My comeback has been rocky.  I did my best.  I’ve done everything, but my body says it’s hard.”

Spong is expected to return to mixed martial arts early this summer at World Series of Fighting 3.

Glory 5: London Results:

-Tyrone Spong  def. Remy Bonjasky by KO at 2:02, R2
-Jordan Watson def. Steve Moxon by unanimous decision (147-139)
-Albert Kraus def. Warren Stevelmans by unanimous decision (150-136)
-Stephen Wakeling def. Eddie Walker by KO at 1:38, R2
-Danyo Ilunga def. Stephane Susperregui by KO at :21, R2
-Michael Duut def. Dustin Jacoby by KO at 2:25, R1
-Mosab Armani def. Liam Harrison by KO at 1:20, R1
-Daniel Sam def. Jaideep Singh by unanimous decision (145-130)
-Johann Fauveau def. Constanin Pasniciuc by unanimous decision (148-137)
-Reece McAllister def. Tim ‘TNT’ Thomas by unanimous decision (150-135)
-Jhonata Oliveira def. Nicola Gallo by unanimous decision (140-135)

TULSA – Wilson Reis probably won’t remember the second round of his fight with UFC newcomer Joby Sanchez, but when he checks his resume, he will have another win.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Right elbow, hospital. Left elbow, stitches. Famed kickboxing legend Mirko Filipovic took on Japanese Olympic judo gold medalist Satoshi Ishii in a heavyweight mixed martial arts (MMA) fight under th read news >>

Heavyweight kickboxing prospect Benjamin Adegbuyi was flown to Sweden earlier this year specially to prepare Alexander Gustafsson for his fight with Jimi Manuwa. Both expressed deep respect for each read news >>

New York middleweight Wayne Barrett is advising Belgian counterpart Filip Verlinden to think again about calling him out. read news >>

Bethe Correia scored a technical knockout of Shayna Baszler in the second round of their main-card fight at UFC 177 on Saturday in Sacramento, Calif. Correia unloaded a group of punches with her oppo read news >>

Well, it wasn't the Renan Barao rematch we were expecting (because of this), but it was a pretty good fight, all things considered. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) bantamweight titleholder TJ Di read news >>

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- T.J. Dillashaw knew something about Joe Soto that the general public refused to believe: This his short-notice challenger was one tough hombre who was better than the fact he ha read news >>

Heavyweight kickboxing contender Benjamin Adegbuyi first made contact with Alexander Gustafsson earlier this year when he was brought over to Sweden to provide some stand-up sparring power for the li read news >>

Dustin Jacoby makes his Bellator MMA debut next weekend, and he’s going right in at the top. read news >>