Tyrone Spong Knocks Out Remy Bonjasky at Glory 5: London

Tyrone Spong vs Remy Bonjasky Glory 5 weighTyrone Spong knocked out kickboxing legend Remy Bonjasky with a thunderous right hand in the second round of the Glory 5: London main event on Saturday at ExCel Arena.

Spong, who made his mixed martial arts debut in November at World Series of Fighting 1, pressured Bonjasky the entire fight, walking him down and not giving him space to work his world famous kicking game.

The knockout came at the 2:02 mark of the second round.  Spong had Bonjasky in the corner and delivered a left hook counter to the chin of Bonjasky rendering him unconscious.

“I’ve put in a lot of work, hard work, and I know what I’m capable of, so I wasn’t surprised,” said Spong following the win.  “I just took my time.  I had three rounds and I took it easy.”

Spong knocked out another kickboxing legend, Peter Aerts, in his last kickboxing bout, and is looking for bigger challenges ahead.  He’d like to face Semmy Schilt next.

“I like challenges, and I’m just looking forward to fighting the best, so give me Semmy.  Give me whoever,” he said.

Bonjasky was left wondering what his future holds in a sport that he’s already accomplished so much.

“It was pretty tough.  I mean a three-year absence, three fights.  It’s hard when you’re 37 and trying to make a comeback,” said Bonjasky after the loss.  “It’s hard to make a good comeback.  My comeback has been rocky.  I did my best.  I’ve done everything, but my body says it’s hard.”

Spong is expected to return to mixed martial arts early this summer at World Series of Fighting 3.

Glory 5: London Results:

-Tyrone Spong  def. Remy Bonjasky by KO at 2:02, R2
-Jordan Watson def. Steve Moxon by unanimous decision (147-139)
-Albert Kraus def. Warren Stevelmans by unanimous decision (150-136)
-Stephen Wakeling def. Eddie Walker by KO at 1:38, R2
-Danyo Ilunga def. Stephane Susperregui by KO at :21, R2
-Michael Duut def. Dustin Jacoby by KO at 2:25, R1
-Mosab Armani def. Liam Harrison by KO at 1:20, R1
-Daniel Sam def. Jaideep Singh by unanimous decision (145-130)
-Johann Fauveau def. Constanin Pasniciuc by unanimous decision (148-137)
-Reece McAllister def. Tim ‘TNT’ Thomas by unanimous decision (150-135)
-Jhonata Oliveira def. Nicola Gallo by unanimous decision (140-135)

From Around the Web

"The King of the Ring," who has competed in GLORY and World Series of Fighting (WSOF), will now add boxing to his resume when he competes in Germany on an ECB fight card. Spong will compete at heavyw read news >>

On March 6, Glory kickboxer Tyrone Spong will make his return to the ring after almost a year-long absence due to a broken leg. The bout will be contested under boxing rules. In April of last year, G read news >>

Watch Alexander Shlemenko rock Melvin Manhoef below with a spinning backfist to knock Manhoef out cold in the second round of the Bellator 133 main event. Thanks to Zombie Prophet for Vine. read news >>

Get a preview, results, and full fight coverage here for Glory 19 live on Spike TV. Glory 19 featuring Rico Verhoeven vs. Errol Zimmerman III airs live this Friday, February 6. Bloody Elbow has full read news >>

Glory Welterweight champion Joseph Valtellini gives us a preview of Glory 19, plus tells us how a rematch with Nieky Holzken will look in this exclusive Bloody Elbow interview. This Friday, February read news >>

California-based Joe Schilling is facing Robert Thomas at GLORY 19 this weekend, fighting in Bellator in the spring and setting his sights on an "undefeated" 2015 fight campaign. With the platform of read news >>

On Friday, Feb. 6, Glory heavyweight champion Rico Verhoeven will defend his title against bitter rival Errol Zimmerman in the main event of Glory 19 on Spike TV. The event takes place at the Hampton read news >>

GLORY is back in action on Feb. 6, 2015, with GLORY 19 from Hampton Coliseum in Hampton, Va., airing live on Spike TV at 9 p.m. ET. Once again, the GLORY staple -- a one-night tournament -- will be f read news >>

Zane Simon is joined by John Joe O'Regan to talk about this week's Glory 19 card, featuring Rico Verhoeven vs. Errol Zimmerman, as well as Joe Schilling, Nieky Holzken, and Andy Ristie. read news >>