Tyrone Spong Knocks Out Remy Bonjasky at Glory 5: London

Tyrone Spong vs Remy Bonjasky Glory 5 weighTyrone Spong knocked out kickboxing legend Remy Bonjasky with a thunderous right hand in the second round of the Glory 5: London main event on Saturday at ExCel Arena.

Spong, who made his mixed martial arts debut in November at World Series of Fighting 1, pressured Bonjasky the entire fight, walking him down and not giving him space to work his world famous kicking game.

The knockout came at the 2:02 mark of the second round.  Spong had Bonjasky in the corner and delivered a left hook counter to the chin of Bonjasky rendering him unconscious.

“I’ve put in a lot of work, hard work, and I know what I’m capable of, so I wasn’t surprised,” said Spong following the win.  “I just took my time.  I had three rounds and I took it easy.”

Spong knocked out another kickboxing legend, Peter Aerts, in his last kickboxing bout, and is looking for bigger challenges ahead.  He’d like to face Semmy Schilt next.

“I like challenges, and I’m just looking forward to fighting the best, so give me Semmy.  Give me whoever,” he said.

Bonjasky was left wondering what his future holds in a sport that he’s already accomplished so much.

“It was pretty tough.  I mean a three-year absence, three fights.  It’s hard when you’re 37 and trying to make a comeback,” said Bonjasky after the loss.  “It’s hard to make a good comeback.  My comeback has been rocky.  I did my best.  I’ve done everything, but my body says it’s hard.”

Spong is expected to return to mixed martial arts early this summer at World Series of Fighting 3.

Glory 5: London Results:

-Tyrone Spong  def. Remy Bonjasky by KO at 2:02, R2
-Jordan Watson def. Steve Moxon by unanimous decision (147-139)
-Albert Kraus def. Warren Stevelmans by unanimous decision (150-136)
-Stephen Wakeling def. Eddie Walker by KO at 1:38, R2
-Danyo Ilunga def. Stephane Susperregui by KO at :21, R2
-Michael Duut def. Dustin Jacoby by KO at 2:25, R1
-Mosab Armani def. Liam Harrison by KO at 1:20, R1
-Daniel Sam def. Jaideep Singh by unanimous decision (145-130)
-Johann Fauveau def. Constanin Pasniciuc by unanimous decision (148-137)
-Reece McAllister def. Tim ‘TNT’ Thomas by unanimous decision (150-135)
-Jhonata Oliveira def. Nicola Gallo by unanimous decision (140-135)

Nieky “The Natural” Holzken (84-11, 44 KO’s) will make his long-awaited return to the ring on Feb. 6 in the Glory 19 welterweight contender tournament. read news >>

Earlier this week GLORY announced the first of the semi-final matches, with Nieky ‘The Natural' Holzken (84-11, 44 KO's) meeting Murthel ‘The Predator' Groenhart (55-16-3, 31 KO's). The second match- read news >>

It looks like Joe Schilling will have a busy year, as he expects to fight in both kickboxing and MMA. Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rumors, News read news >>

Alexander Stetcurenko has replaced Murthel Groenhart in the GLORY 19 Welterweight Contender Tournament. He will face Nieky ‘The Natural' Holzken in the semi-final stage of the competition, GLORY anno read news >>

Bellator middleweight Joe Schilling pledged to contend in both mixed martial arts and kickboxing in 2015, and he's following through on that promise. Schilling inked a new multi-fight deal with premi read news >>

GLORY kickboxing returns to the Spike TV airwaves on Feb. 6, 2015 at 9 p.m. ET from inside the Hampton Coliseum in Hampton, Virginia. That's where world heavyweight champion Rico Verhoeven (44-9-0, 1 read news >>

Andy Ristie will face stocky Australian puncher Steve Moxon in a GLORY 19 Superfight Series card, the organization announced today via its official website. Andy Ristie has been announced as a late a read news >>

Premier kickboxing league GLORY today released details of GLORY 20: DUBAI, set to take place on Friday, April 3 in the Middle East. Pat 'HD' Barry is in the co-main event slot against the veteran Mou read news >>

Glory World Series will hold its first event in the Middle East on April 3 when the kickboxing promotion presents Glory 20 in Dubai. read news >>