Tyrone Spong Knocks Out Remy Bonjasky at Glory 5: London

Tyrone Spong vs Remy Bonjasky Glory 5 weighTyrone Spong knocked out kickboxing legend Remy Bonjasky with a thunderous right hand in the second round of the Glory 5: London main event on Saturday at ExCel Arena.

Spong, who made his mixed martial arts debut in November at World Series of Fighting 1, pressured Bonjasky the entire fight, walking him down and not giving him space to work his world famous kicking game.

The knockout came at the 2:02 mark of the second round.  Spong had Bonjasky in the corner and delivered a left hook counter to the chin of Bonjasky rendering him unconscious.

“I’ve put in a lot of work, hard work, and I know what I’m capable of, so I wasn’t surprised,” said Spong following the win.  “I just took my time.  I had three rounds and I took it easy.”

Spong knocked out another kickboxing legend, Peter Aerts, in his last kickboxing bout, and is looking for bigger challenges ahead.  He’d like to face Semmy Schilt next.

“I like challenges, and I’m just looking forward to fighting the best, so give me Semmy.  Give me whoever,” he said.

Bonjasky was left wondering what his future holds in a sport that he’s already accomplished so much.

“It was pretty tough.  I mean a three-year absence, three fights.  It’s hard when you’re 37 and trying to make a comeback,” said Bonjasky after the loss.  “It’s hard to make a good comeback.  My comeback has been rocky.  I did my best.  I’ve done everything, but my body says it’s hard.”

Spong is expected to return to mixed martial arts early this summer at World Series of Fighting 3.

Glory 5: London Results:

-Tyrone Spong  def. Remy Bonjasky by KO at 2:02, R2
-Jordan Watson def. Steve Moxon by unanimous decision (147-139)
-Albert Kraus def. Warren Stevelmans by unanimous decision (150-136)
-Stephen Wakeling def. Eddie Walker by KO at 1:38, R2
-Danyo Ilunga def. Stephane Susperregui by KO at :21, R2
-Michael Duut def. Dustin Jacoby by KO at 2:25, R1
-Mosab Armani def. Liam Harrison by KO at 1:20, R1
-Daniel Sam def. Jaideep Singh by unanimous decision (145-130)
-Johann Fauveau def. Constanin Pasniciuc by unanimous decision (148-137)
-Reece McAllister def. Tim ‘TNT’ Thomas by unanimous decision (150-135)
-Jhonata Oliveira def. Nicola Gallo by unanimous decision (140-135)

Matt Mitrione knocked out Gabriel Gonzaga in the opening round at UFC on Fox 13 to tie Andrei Arlovski with the second most knockouts in the UFC heavyweight division. read news >>

• a day ago

Rico Verhoeven will make his first defense of the Glory world heavyweight championship on Feb. 6, when he faces longtime rival Errol Zimmerman in the Glory 19 main event at the Hampton Coliseum in Ha read news >>

Dereck Chisora had nothing for Tyson Fury tonight in their rematch in London, England as Fury scored a stoppage after the tenth round. Tyson Fury won his first bout with Dereck Chisora via a wide dec read news >>

Tony Ferguson picked up his fourth straight win with a second round submission victory over Abel Trujillo in the UFC 181 main card opener. Tony Ferguson is putting together a pretty good UFC resume. read news >>

LAS VEGAS – After surviving the fistic onslaught of Abel Trujillo, Tony Ferguson stayed composed and exploited a lack of gas in his opponent’s tank. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

LAS VEGAS - In the opening seconds of their UFC 181 lightweight fight, Abel Trujillo dropped Tony Ferguson straight to the mat with a solid right hand. For a split second, it looked like it would be read news >>

Video: Jesse Roach, a medicated disabled man, was knocked out by veteran fighter Jesse Rowell in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, after the state commission exited the building because it was not authorized to read news >>

PHOENIX – A short left hand from Matt Mitrione put Gabriel Gonzaga down, but it was the follow up punishment – and the especially brutal follow-up to the follow-up – that finished him off.Filed under read news >>

Two previously unaired fights from the GLORY 18 card of November 7 have been released this week. Hesdy Gerges, Benjamin Adegbuyi, Josh Jauncey and Jae Gil Noh feature. Watch out for huge blows being read news >>

Jump to: