Steven Seagal said he worked with Lyoto Machida prior to UFC 129. | Photo: WENN

After knocking out Randy Couture with a front kick at UFC 129, Lyoto Machida credited Steven Seagal for helping him perfect the maneuver.

Plenty of critics believe it is a preposterous claim that Seagal really aided Machida, but the actor and martial artist said it’s true during a recent interview on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “It’s Time” show with Bruce Buffer.

“With Lyoto, I came in probably five days before the fight, something like that,” Seagal said. “Started working on different kinds of elbows, different kinds of punching, different kinds of feetwork … but particularly the kick. I think against a lot of the guys who have spent a lot of their energy on wrestling, they’re not exactly what I would call great strikers. The kick can be very effective. This kick is different.”

A strength of the technique, Seagal said, is that it is deceiving.

“This kick, the thing that’s deceptive about it is that, the normal [technique] where you lift up your knee and you kick, this one I’m kind of trying to teach the guys to lead with the foot,” he said. “I don’t want to say too much about it because I don’t want to give it away completely to the world. It’s different and it’s hard to see. It’s very difficult to see coming, and that’s how my guys have been successful with that.”

UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva also credited Seagal for the front kick he used to knock out Vitor Belfort in February. It was Silva who reached out to Seagal first, Seagal explained.

“Anderson had originally sent me a little postcard saying, ‘Please teach me your lethal stuff,’” Seagal said. “Because a lot of my students know that a lot of the stuff I have is punishing or effective, shall we say. They left a number, and the number was Jorge Guimaraes, the manager of those guys in Black House. He said, ‘Yeah, man, the guys all want to learn from you.’ I went over there and began.”

Seagal cited his own martial arts experience when describing how the kick developed. In particular, he said he’d learned what was effective by fighting.

“Before people called it ‘mixed martial arts,’ we were mixed martial artists,” Seagal added. “I think there are millions of people out there who fall into that category.”

Seagal also said there is more in the arsenal than just front kicks.

“There are some real different elbows,” he said. “There are some real different punches. There are some real different entrances that I’m working on with the guys. There are some other things that I don’t want to talk about that you guys just haven’t seen at all yet. You haven’t seen it, but it’s legal.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 18:18).

What can Team Alpha Male and AKA teach us about MMA's injury epidemic?

From “stone-age” training techniques to vulnerable weight classes, culprits for MMA’s injury woes aren’t hard to find. But what can statistical analysis and two gyms just a couple hours apart teach u read news >>

With rankings separated from pay, UFC calls for more media to participate

The UFC said Wednesday that it’s working to revamp promotional rankings that recently have become a centerpiece in the way fighters are announced to live audiences.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Morning Report: With tears in his eyes, Andrei Arlovski says knocking out Travis Browne 'felt like punching my mother or

Following a brutal first round opposite friend and former training partner Travis Browne at UFC 187, Andrei Arlovski has some complicated feelings on his TKO win. "Of course it's nice to have a victo read news >>

MMAjunkie Radio (noon ET): MMA legend Randy Couture in studio

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off at noon ET with in-studio guest and MMA legend Randy Couture.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC read news >>

Chael Sonnen on Ronda Rousey: 'She got the loudest response of all of Wrestlemania'

"The American Gangster" spoke to MMAMania about working with Jim Ross, future broadcast possibilities and Ronda Rousey's appearance at Wrestlemania 32. Former UFC title contender and current ESPN MMA read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #1962 with UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture

Stream or download Friday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with UFC Hall of Famer and former two-division champion Randy Couture.Filed under: MMAjunkie Radio, News, Radio read news >>

Randy Couture tells story of choosing to stay with UFC instead of signing with PRIDE

When Randy Couture was at the height of his UFC career, PRIDE came knocking. Couture’s decision to stay in America was, in part, motivated by Dan Henderson’s situation.Filed under: Featured Videos, N read news >>

Mark Hunt on Stipe Miocic: ‘I’m knocking his lips off’

UFC heavyweight Mark Hunt plans to knock Stipe Miocic out on Saturday night in Adelaide. read news >>

Randy Couture explains why he never signed offer from Pride FC

The UFC Hall of Famer never made the move to the UFC's biggest rival. Find out why. In today's MMA world, there is lots of talk about a UFC monopoly, a class action lawsuit against the market leader, read news >>