Pat Healy Admits to Positive UFC 159 Drug Test

Pat Healy - StrikeforcePat Healy on Tuesday revealed that he tested positive for marijuana following his UFC 159: Jones vs. Sonnen victory over Jim Miller on April 27 in New Jersey.

Healy’s representatives at Iridium Sports Agency informed MMAWeekly.com that the Healy vs. Miller result has been changed to a no contest, and that Healy has been handed a 90-day suspension.

“I would like to start off by apologizing to the UFC, Jim Miller, the MMA community, it’s fans, my family, teammates and coaches for my positive testing for marijuana after my UFC 159 fight with Jim Miller,” Healy said in a prepared statement.

“I was fully aware of the UFC and State Commission’s drug policies and made poor life choices. I stand behind the UFC and the State Commission’s disciplinary actions. I support efforts to make MMA and sports a clean, safe and fair place to compete.

“First and foremost, I would like to acknowledge and take responsibility for my mistake. I made a very poor choice to socially use marijuana and now I must face the consequences of that choice. I can assure you that I will do everything the UFC and State Commission asks of me and beyond. I will also make a conscious effort to be a better role model within the MMA community.”

Healy and Miller fought a back-and-forth, high paced fight with Healy submitting Miller late in the third round. They were awarded Fight of the Night honors, and Healy was awarded the Submission of the Night bonus.

The New Jersey Athletic Control Board declined to comment. The UFC had yet to comment at the time of publication.

UFC president Dana White says Wanderlei Silva would have been better off testing positive to a banned substance than running from the random drug test. read news >>

Brian Ortega has apologized for a failed drug test that cost him his UFC-debut win at July’s UFC on FOX 12 event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC officials on Tuesday admitted that company president Dana White breached protocol by pulling a judge at its self-regulated UFC Fight Night Macao on Saturday. read news >>

In the wake of high-profile drug test failures and mounting pressure to lead change, UFC officials announced Wednesday they will enhance their out-of-competition drug testing efforts. New policies an read news >>

The UFC seeks to randomly drug test a certain percentage of its fighters under contract by the end of the year, according to an official, and could start within the next three or four months.Filed un read news >>

UFC champion Demetrious Johnson and challenger Chris Cariaso underwent random blood and urine drug tests at the behest of the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) last week ahead of their scheduled UFC 1 read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter Latin America kicks off on UFC FIGHT PASS on Tuesday, 12am ET read news >>

Watch the ticket on-sale press conference for UFC 180: Velasquez vs. Werdum, live Tuesday, August 26 at 1 p.m. ET/10 a.m. PT, featuring Cain Velasquez and Fabricio Werdum. read news >>

The spotlight in no longer so bright on Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier’s brewing feud, but the upcoming title challenger recently dropped an interesting nugget on social media.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>