Alistair Overeem file photo: Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com

Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem had one word to describe what he witnessed Saturday at the HP Pavilion.

“Crazy.”

Fabricio Werdum’s stunning 69-second defeat of the world’s top-ranked heavyweight capped off a harrowing few weeks for the 30-year-old Dutchman. Overeem said he cancelled a promotional trip to the U.S. for Strikeforce’s June 16 and June 26 events to dive back into training for a heavyweight title bout at Dream 15 on July 10. When the Japanese promotion cancelled the championship fight on Friday, Overeem booked a 20-hour flight and made it cageside just in time to watch the fight he’s chased for the last year with Emelianenko go up in smoke.

“I’m still a little bit shaken from (the cancelled Dream bout). I booked the flight to here, 20 hours, and then this happens,” said Overeem. “A loss is always a possibility, but naturally, I thought Fedor would beat him.”

Emelianenko’s defeat -- his first in nearly 10 years and 29 fights -- not only derailed a pay-per-view worthy headliner for the promotion, it also quelled Overeem’s appetite for the cagy Russian.

“It’s about what the people want to see, what the organization wants and what I want,” said Overeem. “That all pointed to Fedor, but he declined to fight me last month in the May 15 show and he’d rather fight Werdum. Now he lost to him. It’s changed everything. I wanted the winner of the fight tonight and that’s Werdum, so Werdum is next.”

Overeem acknowledged that Emelianenko’s management team and Strikeforce’s co-promotional partner, M-1 Global, could push for a Werdum rematch first. Still, like many who watched “The Last Emperor” fall on Saturday, he questioned how much longer Emelianenko would remain in the game.

“Fedor’s a little bit out of the picture,” said Overeem. “He has one more fight on his (Strikeforce) contract and I don’t know against who he’ll fight. He might retire after that anyway. He might retire now. He’s the X-factor.”

Overeem suggested that the defeat could signal Emelianenko’s loss of fire for the fight.

“What motivation does he have? He’s already done everything,” said Overeem. “His bank account is going to be from here to the moon.”

A fight against Werdum would at least allow the Golden Glory striker to avenge a 2006 loss to the Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt. Overeem wasn’t adverse to this possibility.

“Fabricio Werdum, I believe he trained really hard for Fedor,” said Overeem. “He looked sharp, so all I can say is congratulations to him. I have a score to settle. I want to fight him.”

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Jon Jones Out of the Picture, Rumble Willing to Wait for Daniel Cormier (video) | MMAWeekly.com

  • 24 days ago
  • 34 views

Jon Jones isn't even on his radar, as Anthony "Rumble" Johnson is willing to wait forever to challenge UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier. read news >>

Champ Marlon Moraes expects war today with 'deserving' WSOF 34 challenger Josenaldo Silva

  • 20 days ago
  • 4 views

Although relatively unknown in the international picture, WSOF 34’s bantamweight title challenger Josenaldo Silva is in no way overlooked by champ Marlon Moraes: “Everyone will see a bantamweight dis read news >>

Mark Hunt Accepted Fight Out of Desperation, but Threatens to Sue Alistair Overeem | MMAWeekly.com

  • 14 days ago
  • 121 views

Mark Hunt is tired of fighting cheaters, but he can't afford not to, so he's ready to take matters into his own hands. read news >>

Best UFC Knockouts of 2016: Stipe Miocic vs. Alistair Overeem (video) | MMAWeekly.com

  • 12 days ago
  • 467 views

2016 had its fair share of knockout finishes in the UFC, and heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic's UFC 203 knockout of Alistair Overeem made the top ten list. read news >>

Former Strikeforce champ Tarec Saffiedine invites ex-UFC champ Rafael dos Anjos to welterweight

  • 8 days ago
  • 12 views

Former Strikeforce champ and UFC welterweight Tarec Saffiedine would like to welcome ex-lightweight champ Rafael dos Anjos to his division. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC middleweight contender, ex-Strikeforce title challenger Tim Kennedy announces retirement

  • 3 days ago
  • 28 views

UFC 185-pound contender and former Strikeforce title challenger Tim Kennedy is hanging up his gloves for good.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Twitter reacts to Tim Kennedy's retirement from MMA competition

  • 2 days ago
  • 33 views

UFC middleweight contender and former Strikeforce title challenger Tim Kennedy made his official exit from MMA today. See how social media reacted inside. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Former MMA Fighter Brett Rogers Charged with Criminal Sexual Conduct

  • a day ago
  • 77 views

Former Strikeforce and Bellator heavyweight Brett Rogers has been charged with two counts of fifth-degree criminal sexual conduct and one count of interfering with someone's privacy. Sarah Horner of read news >>

Watch MMAjunkie Radio here (1 p.m. ET): UFC featherweight and ex-Strikeforce champ Gilbert Melendez

  • a day ago
  • 2 views

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guest Gilbert Melendez.Filed under: MMAjunkie Radio, News, UFC read news >>