Nate Diaz likely to change weight classes after UFC on FOX 7


nate-diaz-10.jpgSAN JOSE, Calif. – After this weekend’s UFC on FOX 7 bout with Josh Thomson, Nate Diaz doesn’t believe the lightweight class is going to be able to offer anything that interests him.

So Diaz (16-8 MMA, 11-6 UFC), who fights Thomson (19-5 MMA, 2-1 UFC) on Saturday’s FOX-televised main card at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., is setting his sights on another division.

And, in fact, it’s one in which he’s competed before: welterweight.

Diaz said the decision is made even easier since he expects his teammate, final Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez, to take the title from reigning UFC champion Benson Henderson in this weekend’s champion-vs.-champion main event.

“I don’t think there’s anything for me at the lightweight division,” he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I already beat everyone at lightweight or I fought everyone already. The only person who beat me was Ben, and Gil’s going to handle him Saturday. I’m going to sit around and fight the guys all over again? Boring. There’s no motivation in that. I’d rather fight someone new.”

In fact, since winning “The Ultimate Fighter 5,” Diaz has fought 13 times at 155 pounds and posted a 9-4 record. But his most recent bout ended in a decision loss to Henderson. With a Henderson rematch unlikely anytime soon, and since he figures Melendez will dethrone him anyway, he’s looking elsewhere for his future.

Diaz said the move has everything to do with compelling matchups and nothing to do with the weight cuts needed to get down to 156 pounds.

“The weight cut is cool,” he said. “I handle it easier than most of these guys, but like I said, I’ve been in this lightweight division for seven or eight years now, probably longer than any lightweight in here.”

Diaz previously dabbled in the 170-pound division. From 2010-2011, he went 2-2 with wins over Rory Markham and Marcus Davis, and losses to Dong Hyun Kim and Rory MacDonald. He then returned to the lightweight division, where he won three consecutive bouts to earn his December title shot, which ended in a lopsided decision loss.

“So unless they have something really cool to offer (at lightweight) or a really cool fight that would interest me … yeah, I’m out,” he said.

For more on UFC on FOX 7, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 16 days ago
  • 6 views

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- During a media scrum at UFC on FOX 12, Cung Le talks about smack talk from upcoming opponent Michael Bisping, being healthy for the first time in three fights, bouncing back from read news >>

  • 4 days ago
  • 37 views

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis ended up hearing after the fact that Nate Diaz wants a piece of him. Diaz was an assistant coach on Gilbert Melendez's team on The Ultimat read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 5 views

Onetime welterweight title challenger Josh Koscheck is the latest addition to FOX’s UFC broadcast team, breaking down fights for next week’s UFC Fight Night 47 on Aug. 16 at Cross Insurance Center in read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 2 views

Former welterweight contender Josh Koscheck is joining the UFC on FOX team as an analyst for the UFC Fight Night: Bader vs. Saint Preux shows. read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 18 views

While Josh Koscheck continues to contemplate whether or not he will retire from active mixed martial arts (MMA) competition, the former No. 1 welterweight contender will get back into the spotlight a read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 10 views

That's assuming he can get medically cleared from his concussion. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight contender T.J. Grant is finally ready to make his return to the Octagon. On the heel read news >>

  • 17 days ago
  • 16 views

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- During a media scrum at UFC on FOX 12, T.J. Dillashaw talks about his upcoming rematch with Renan Barao, not getting overly confident after already holding a win over Barao, his c read news >>

  • 10 days ago
  • 3 views

MACAU – UFC President Dana White is optimistic Nate Diaz will soon return to the octagon, but discussions regarding a potential fight are still far apart, he said. Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

  • 10 days ago
  • 0 views

UFC President Dana White and Nate Diaz appear to have taken a first step towards repairing their frayed working relationship, as White revealed on Saturday that he hashed things out with the disgrunt read news >>