Following a loss to Tom “Kong” Watson at BAMMA 6 on Saturday, Murilo “Ninja” Rua has announced his retirement from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Brazilian made the announcement on his Twitter account, and was later verified by separate sources.

Rua lost the fight to Watson in England after a one-sided match ended with the Brit knocking out the former EliteXC champion.

The loss brought Rua’s record to 20-12-1 overall.

“I would like to announce officially my retirement from pro MMA fights tonight. It was an amazing run, and it’s a very tough moment,” Rua wrote. “But there comes a time for all in life, and it’s time to move on. I am proud of all I did in MMA and all experiences I had.”

During his career, Rua fought in several different organizations including Pride, Dream, and Cage Rage, as well as spending time as EliteXC middleweight champion.

Rua will continue to teach and train alongside his brother Maurcio “Shogun” Rua, and said he looks forward to spending more time with friends and family.

“It was a fantastic road and this is a very trying time. But there comes a time for everything in life, and ‘s time to move on. I’m proud of everything I’ve done in MMA and all the experiences I had in this profession that I embraced with love,” Rua stated.

“I’ll keep working on MMA giving seminars, lectures, training athletes, and doing my part to help our sport that I love so much. Now it’s time to help others, and enjoy my family, my wife, my children, and move on.”

Rua is the latest of a string of fighters that have announced retirements recently. Just over the last two months both Ricardo Almeida and Nick Thompson have called it a career as well.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC GYM announces international expansion to Southeast Asia

UFC GYM, the fast-growing franchise that combines mixed martial arts (MMA) and fitness, announced the expansion of its global footprint into Vietnam with the opening of a new signature gym in Hanoi. read news >>

UFC Gym® Announces Exclusive Partnership with Fitspiration Philippines Corporation

UFC GYM® today announced an exclusive 10-year partnership with the Fitspiration Philippines Corporation to open 30 locations throughout The Republic of the Philippines. The first signature UFC read news >>

Conan O'Brien announces live that he's a part-owner of the UFC (Video)

• 15 hours ago

Conan O'Brien announced live on his show that, thanks to the purchase by WME-IMG, he's a part-owner of the UFC. He also listed a tonof investors along with him.There has been no shortage of read news >>

UFC Hires New Matchmaker with Joe Silva Exiting at Year's End | MMAWeekly.com

With longtime UFC matchmaker Joe Silva retiring at year's end, officials on Tuesday announced the hiring of another matchmaker. read news >>

UFC Adds Veteran MMA Executive Mick Maynard, Promotes Sean Shelby

UFC announced today the hiring of Mick Maynard as Vice President of Talent Relations. Maynard was president and owner of Houston-based Legacy Fighting Championship, an organization that helped launch read news >>

Bellator Announces MMA and Kickboxing Events in Italy | MMAWeekly.com

Within days of Bellator Kickboxing: Budapest, the Scott Coker-led promotion hosted a press conference in Florence, Italy to announce its next international event. read news >>

James Krause vs. Ross Pearson Lands on UFC Belfast Card | MMAWeekly.com

UFC on Thursday announced a further bout to the highly anticipated UFC FIGHT NIGHT: KIM vs. NELSON fight card. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 95 draws announced sold-out attendance of 8,410 fans in Brasilia

BRASILIA, Brazil – Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 95 event drew an announced attendance of 8,410 for the UFC’s second show in Brazil’s capital city.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Undercard Bouts Dominate Fighter Bonuses at UFC Brasilia | MMAWeekly.com

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced the fighter bonuses stemming from UFC Fight Night: Cyborg vs. Lansberg following Saturday's event in Brasilia, Brazil. read news >>

Six additional bouts announced for UFC Fight Night 100 on Nov. 19 in Sao Paulo

BRASILIA, Brazil – After Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Alexander Gustafsson were announced as UFC Fight Night 100’s headliners, company executives confirmed six additional bouts for the promotion’s fi read news >>