Murilo ‘Ninja’ Rua Announces Retirement From MMA

• submit to reddit

Following a loss to Tom “Kong” Watson at BAMMA 6 on Saturday, Murilo “Ninja” Rua has announced his retirement from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Brazilian made the announcement on his Twitter account, and was later verified by separate sources.

Rua lost the fight to Watson in England after a one-sided match ended with the Brit knocking out the former EliteXC champion.

The loss brought Rua’s record to 20-12-1 overall.

“I would like to announce officially my retirement from pro MMA fights tonight. It was an amazing run, and it’s a very tough moment,” Rua wrote. “But there comes a time for all in life, and it’s time to move on. I am proud of all I did in MMA and all experiences I had.”

During his career, Rua fought in several different organizations including Pride, Dream, and Cage Rage, as well as spending time as EliteXC middleweight champion.

Rua will continue to teach and train alongside his brother Maurcio “Shogun” Rua, and said he looks forward to spending more time with friends and family.

“It was a fantastic road and this is a very trying time. But there comes a time for everything in life, and ‘s time to move on. I’m proud of everything I’ve done in MMA and all the experiences I had in this profession that I embraced with love,” Rua stated.

“I’ll keep working on MMA giving seminars, lectures, training athletes, and doing my part to help our sport that I love so much. Now it’s time to help others, and enjoy my family, my wife, my children, and move on.”

Rua is the latest of a string of fighters that have announced retirements recently. Just over the last two months both Ricardo Almeida and Nick Thompson have called it a career as well.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Following a third-round TKO loss at the hands of Frankie Edgar Sunday night, BJ Penn decided to put an end to his UFC career. The 35-year-old legend announced the news inside the Octagon following The Ultimate Fighter 19 finale, and Fox Sports' Mike Chiappetta captured a quote: UFC president Dana White commented on the decision via MMAFighting.com: Penn finishes his career at 16-10-2 overall. Although, with five losses and a draw in his last seven fights, his final record doesn't exactly do him read news >>

Looking back on one of MMA's most skilled, beloved and controversial fighters I suppose it's like the ticking crocodile, isn't it? Time is chasing after all of us. - J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan We like to quantify greatness. We're not just interested in who is the "greatest of all time", we want to be able to count from #1 to #2 to #3. In combat sports, we count up wins and losses, weigh up methods of victory and strength of competition. B.J. Penn was once in the conversation as one of the greatest i read news >>

Ronda Rousey once again proved to be the class of women's MMA Saturday night at UFC 175, as she defeated Alexis Davis to retain the UFC Women's Bantamweight Championship for the fourth time. And it didn't even take her 20 seconds. As soon as the bell rang, Rousey wasted no time in judo tossing Davis to the mat and finishing her in 16 seconds. MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani tweeted the result: With the victory, Rousey is a perfect 10-0 with no real signs of slowing down. Davis was riding a five-fig read news >>

LAS VEGAS – Saturday night’s UFC 175 event drew an announced attendance of 10,088 and a live gate of $4.4 million.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

LAS VEGAS – Ahead of tonight’s latest UFC event, The Ultimate Fighter 19 Finale, MMAjunkie’s Mike Bohn takes you inside the card.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

LAS VEGAS – B.J. Penn had virtually nothing to offer Frankie Edgar in a battle between two former champs, and Edgar improved to 3-0 against the MMA legend.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

LAS VEGAS – The end has come for “Baby Jay.” Watch B.J. Penn’s retirement announcement in the octagon after his loss to Frankie Edgar. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Prior to BJ Penn hanging up his gloves last night, his former opponent and fellow UFC legend Jens Pulver also confirmed his retirement this past weekend. B.J. Penn has decided to call it quits following a loss to rival Frankie Edgar on Sunday night, capping a hall-of-fame career that saw him win UFC titles in two weight divisions. Prior to the TUF 19 Finale though, Penn's former opponent and fellow UFC legend in Jens Pulver also decided to officially announce his retirement. "I did (compete at) read news >>

After an action-packed UFC 175 and Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 19 Finale event over the weekend (Sat., July 5 and Sun., July 6, 2014) in Las Vegas, Nevada, plenty of fighters are still feeling the buzz; however, B.J. Penn is likely suffering from the worst post-fight hangover after losing to Frankie Edgar for the third time in the main event of the TUF 19 Finale, forcing him to retire. Another weekend of fisticuffs has come and gone as Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) capped off International Fig read news >>