Following a loss to Tom “Kong” Watson at BAMMA 6 on Saturday, Murilo “Ninja” Rua has announced his retirement from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Brazilian made the announcement on his Twitter account, and was later verified by separate sources.

Rua lost the fight to Watson in England after a one-sided match ended with the Brit knocking out the former EliteXC champion.

The loss brought Rua’s record to 20-12-1 overall.

“I would like to announce officially my retirement from pro MMA fights tonight. It was an amazing run, and it’s a very tough moment,” Rua wrote. “But there comes a time for all in life, and it’s time to move on. I am proud of all I did in MMA and all experiences I had.”

During his career, Rua fought in several different organizations including Pride, Dream, and Cage Rage, as well as spending time as EliteXC middleweight champion.

Rua will continue to teach and train alongside his brother Maurcio “Shogun” Rua, and said he looks forward to spending more time with friends and family.

“It was a fantastic road and this is a very trying time. But there comes a time for everything in life, and ‘s time to move on. I’m proud of everything I’ve done in MMA and all the experiences I had in this profession that I embraced with love,” Rua stated.

“I’ll keep working on MMA giving seminars, lectures, training athletes, and doing my part to help our sport that I love so much. Now it’s time to help others, and enjoy my family, my wife, my children, and move on.”

Rua is the latest of a string of fighters that have announced retirements recently. Just over the last two months both Ricardo Almeida and Nick Thompson have called it a career as well.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC's Dana White announces Antonio Rodrigo 'Minotauro' Nogueira's retirement

The UFC president unilaterally announced that he was through promoting fights featuring the Brazilian legend and offered Nogueira a career with the organization. UFC president Dana White announced th read news >>

Invicta FC 14 Gets New Headliner, Full Card Announced

INVICTA FC announces 10-fight card for FIGHT PASS, September 12. Invicta Fighting Championships today announced the full 10-fight card for Invicta FC 14, which streams live and exclusively via read news >>

Bellator announces new signings, including former King of Pancrase

Bellator announced a pair of signings Monday, as the company brings a former King of Pancrase and a fighter from a familiar gym into the fold. Japanese standout Isao Kobayashi has been added to the f read news >>

UFC Saskatoon Fighter Bonuses: Frankie Perez Banks an Extra $50,000 in Retirement Fight

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced the UFC Fight Night: Holloway vs. Oliveira performance-based fighter bonuses following Sunday’s event in Saskatoon, Canada. read news >>

Bellator announces light heavyweight tournament pairings for Dynamite card

• a day ago

TEMECULA, Calif. -- The light heavyweight tournament matchups for Bellator MMA's next tentpole event were announced by CEO Scott Coker on Friday night during the main card of the promotion's event. F read news >>

UFC 190 Fighter Bonuses: Ronda Rousey Earns an Extra $50,000 for 34-Second Win

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced the winners of the $50,000 fighter bonuses stemming from UFC 190 following the event in Rio de Janeiro on Saturday. read news >>

UFC 190 draws announced attendance of 14,723 for Rousey-Correia in Brazil

RIO DE JANEIRO – Saturday’s UFC 190 event drew an announced attendance of 14,723 in Brazil.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Bellator MMA: 'Dynamite 1' card adds Gabriel Varga vs Serhiy Adamchuk GLORY featherweight title fight

Another GLORY title fight has been announced for the Bellator MMA: "Dynamite" card on Sept. 19, 2015. GLORY Featherweight Champion Gabriel Varga will defend his title against Serhiy Adamchuk in the k read news >>

Teamsters announce plan to organize UFC fighters

Two national unions, UNITE and Teamsters, announced today they are going to try and organize the fighters of the UFC. UNITE HERE has announced an initiative alongside the Teamsters to try and organiz read news >>

‘Minotauro’ Nogueira not ready to commit to retirement yet

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Dana White had a quick chat after UFC 190, and it sounded like the heavyweight legend would call it quits following the unanimous decision loss to Stefan Struve. However, read news >>