Murilo ‘Ninja’ Rua Announces Retirement From MMA

Following a loss to Tom “Kong” Watson at BAMMA 6 on Saturday, Murilo “Ninja” Rua has announced his retirement from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Brazilian made the announcement on his Twitter account, and was later verified by separate sources.

Rua lost the fight to Watson in England after a one-sided match ended with the Brit knocking out the former EliteXC champion.

The loss brought Rua’s record to 20-12-1 overall.

“I would like to announce officially my retirement from pro MMA fights tonight. It was an amazing run, and it’s a very tough moment,” Rua wrote. “But there comes a time for all in life, and it’s time to move on. I am proud of all I did in MMA and all experiences I had.”

During his career, Rua fought in several different organizations including Pride, Dream, and Cage Rage, as well as spending time as EliteXC middleweight champion.

Rua will continue to teach and train alongside his brother Maurcio “Shogun” Rua, and said he looks forward to spending more time with friends and family.

“It was a fantastic road and this is a very trying time. But there comes a time for everything in life, and ‘s time to move on. I’m proud of everything I’ve done in MMA and all the experiences I had in this profession that I embraced with love,” Rua stated.

“I’ll keep working on MMA giving seminars, lectures, training athletes, and doing my part to help our sport that I love so much. Now it’s time to help others, and enjoy my family, my wife, my children, and move on.”

Rua is the latest of a string of fighters that have announced retirements recently. Just over the last two months both Ricardo Almeida and Nick Thompson have called it a career as well.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Popular brawler Leonard Garcia announced his retirement following a first-round loss to Daniel Pineda at Legacy Fighting Championship 37 on Friday night. read news >>

The Brazilian MMA Athletic Commission (CABMMA) announced on Monday that two of the 20 UFC Fight Night 56 fighters are suspended six months pending medical clearance after Saturday night’s fights in U read news >>

It’s Brazil vs. the world in Las Vegas. The UFC announced on Thursday that Rafael Natal and Tom Watson are set to collide at the UFC 183 pay-per-view card in Las Vegas on Jan. 31. So far, seven of th read news >>

On this week's edition of The MMA Beat, the esteemed panel discusses the potential featherweight title fight between Conor McGregor and Jose Aldo, Anderson Silva vs. Shogun Rua, and Ronda Rousey's PP read news >>

MMA Fighting has Invicta FC 9 results for the Honchak vs. Hashi fight card for the upcoming Honchak vs. Hashi fight card Saturday night.In the main event, Barb Honchak will defend her Invicta FC flyw read news >>

Dustin Poirier discusses rebounding from his UFC 178 loss to Conor McGregor. read news >>

This Saturday, the UFC goes to Brazil with UFC Fight Night 56. The headline fight on this card is a light heavyweight matchup between former champ Mauricio "Shogun" Rua and Strikeforce vet Ovince "OS read news >>

The Ultimate Fighting Championship on Saturday announced that it will return to Denver for a Valentine's Day event in 2015. read news >>

UBERLANDIA, Brazil – Saturday night’s UFC Fight Night 56 event drew an announced attendance of 5,671.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jump to: