Following a loss to Tom “Kong” Watson at BAMMA 6 on Saturday, Murilo “Ninja” Rua has announced his retirement from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Brazilian made the announcement on his Twitter account, and was later verified by separate sources.

Rua lost the fight to Watson in England after a one-sided match ended with the Brit knocking out the former EliteXC champion.

The loss brought Rua’s record to 20-12-1 overall.

“I would like to announce officially my retirement from pro MMA fights tonight. It was an amazing run, and it’s a very tough moment,” Rua wrote. “But there comes a time for all in life, and it’s time to move on. I am proud of all I did in MMA and all experiences I had.”

During his career, Rua fought in several different organizations including Pride, Dream, and Cage Rage, as well as spending time as EliteXC middleweight champion.

Rua will continue to teach and train alongside his brother Maurcio “Shogun” Rua, and said he looks forward to spending more time with friends and family.

“It was a fantastic road and this is a very trying time. But there comes a time for everything in life, and ‘s time to move on. I’m proud of everything I’ve done in MMA and all the experiences I had in this profession that I embraced with love,” Rua stated.

“I’ll keep working on MMA giving seminars, lectures, training athletes, and doing my part to help our sport that I love so much. Now it’s time to help others, and enjoy my family, my wife, my children, and move on.”

Rua is the latest of a string of fighters that have announced retirements recently. Just over the last two months both Ricardo Almeida and Nick Thompson have called it a career as well.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Mike “Quick” Swick Announces Retirement Following UFC 189 Loss

Mike “Quick” Swick announced his retirement from fighting following his UFC 189 loss to Alex Garcia via his Facebook page on Thursday. read news >>

UFC's Dana White announces Antonio Rodrigo 'Minotauro' Nogueira's retirement

• a day ago

The UFC president unilaterally announced that he was through promoting fights featuring the Brazilian legend and offered Nogueira a career with the organization. UFC president Dana White announced th read news >>

ONE Championship Heats Up, Announces Blistering 2015 Schedule

ONE Championship announced the dates for six upcoming events, which will take place in six different cities this year. read news >>

Mike Swick, 'The Ultimate Fighter 1' cast member, retires from MMA

One of the last remaining cast members of ‘The Ultimate Fighter 1,' Mike Swick, announced his official retirement from mixed martial arts on Thursday. Swick (15-6) exits the sport at 36 years of age, read news >>

UFC veteran Mike Swick announces retirement following UFC 189 loss

Mike Swick, a 15-fight veteran of the UFC and one of the members of the original cast of “The Ultimate Fighter” has taken to social media to announce that he is retiring from the sport.Filed under: F read news >>

Mike Swick announces retirement from MMA: 'Everyone wants to go out on top'

Longtime UFC veteran Mike "Quick" Swick is hanging up the gloves for good after coming back from a 2.5 year layoff to lose to Alex Garcia at UFC 189. MMA is a tricky business to grow old in. Fighters read news >>

Melvin Guillard headlines Bellator 141 against Brandon Girtz

Melvin Guillard will headline a fight card in his Bellator debut. The promotion officially announced on Wednesday that "The Young Assassin" will take on Brandon Girtz in the main event of Bellator 14 read news >>

Imortal 2 announces one-night tournament, winner signs Invicta FC contract

Four fighters will battle for a contract with Invicta FC in August. Imortal Fight Championship announced a partnership with all-female promotion, and will host a one-night, four-woman strawweight tou read news >>

MMA legend Fedor Emelianenko reportedly mulling return to fighting (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Could Emelianenko come out of retirement for one more fight? He appears interested in a return. read news >>