Following a loss to Tom “Kong” Watson at BAMMA 6 on Saturday, Murilo “Ninja” Rua has announced his retirement from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Brazilian made the announcement on his Twitter account, and was later verified by separate sources.

Rua lost the fight to Watson in England after a one-sided match ended with the Brit knocking out the former EliteXC champion.

The loss brought Rua’s record to 20-12-1 overall.

“I would like to announce officially my retirement from pro MMA fights tonight. It was an amazing run, and it’s a very tough moment,” Rua wrote. “But there comes a time for all in life, and it’s time to move on. I am proud of all I did in MMA and all experiences I had.”

During his career, Rua fought in several different organizations including Pride, Dream, and Cage Rage, as well as spending time as EliteXC middleweight champion.

Rua will continue to teach and train alongside his brother Maurcio “Shogun” Rua, and said he looks forward to spending more time with friends and family.

“It was a fantastic road and this is a very trying time. But there comes a time for everything in life, and ‘s time to move on. I’m proud of everything I’ve done in MMA and all the experiences I had in this profession that I embraced with love,” Rua stated.

“I’ll keep working on MMA giving seminars, lectures, training athletes, and doing my part to help our sport that I love so much. Now it’s time to help others, and enjoy my family, my wife, my children, and move on.”

Rua is the latest of a string of fighters that have announced retirements recently. Just over the last two months both Ricardo Almeida and Nick Thompson have called it a career as well.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Fresh Off Tournament Win, Cro Cop Announces Retirement Plans | MMAWeekly.com

Just a few days removed from winning three fights in two days, Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic has announced plans to retire. read news >>

British MMA Figurehead Brad Pickett to Have Retirement Fight in London | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Scott Heavey/Zuffa LLC The UFC announced Brad “One Punch” Pickett will get the chance to bid a fond farewell to MMA in his hometown as the promotion returns to London’s O2 Arena on March 18t read news >>

UFC, 'TUF' vet Martin Svensson announces retirement 3 months after calling for Cage Warriors title shot

Only three months after winning in his return to the Cage Warriors promotion and calling for a lightweight title shot, Martin Svensson says he is retiring from MMA. Filed under: Cage Warriors, News read news >>

Tom Duquesnoy, BAMMA's 2-division champ, announces UFC signing

The ever-evolving UFC bantamweight division just got some new young blood; top prospect and now-former BAMMA two-division champion Tom Duquesnoy has officially signed with the organization, he announ read news >>

UFC middleweight contender, ex-Strikeforce title challenger Tim Kennedy announces retirement

UFC 185-pound contender and former Strikeforce title challenger Tim Kennedy is hanging up his gloves for good.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Middleweight Tim Kennedy Announces Retirement, Acknowledges Father Time | MMAWeekly.com

Tim Kennedy on Tuesday decided he will not fade away. While he hinted that Father Time may be catching up to him, he announced his retirement. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Tim Kennedy's retirement from MMA competition

UFC middleweight contender and former Strikeforce title challenger Tim Kennedy made his official exit from MMA today. See how social media reacted inside. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Kennedy thanks troops in farewell to Octagon

In a Facebook post announcing his retirement on Tuesday, Tim Kennedy wrote of his reasons for walking away from the sport at the age of 37, and also touched on his greatest moment in a pro career tha read news >>

BJ Penn’s Coach: ‘I’m Very Supportive of BJ Retiring’ | MMAWeekly.com

• 12 hours ago

Former two-division UFC champ BJ Penn came out of retirement to fight rising star Yair Rodriguez, but is it time he call it quits for good? read news >>

Four Bouts Announced for UFC London | MMAWeekly.com

• 10 hours ago

UFC has added four more explosive bouts to the card set for The O2 in London. read news >>