Following a loss to Tom “Kong” Watson at BAMMA 6 on Saturday, Murilo “Ninja” Rua has announced his retirement from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Brazilian made the announcement on his Twitter account, and was later verified by separate sources.

Rua lost the fight to Watson in England after a one-sided match ended with the Brit knocking out the former EliteXC champion.

The loss brought Rua’s record to 20-12-1 overall.

“I would like to announce officially my retirement from pro MMA fights tonight. It was an amazing run, and it’s a very tough moment,” Rua wrote. “But there comes a time for all in life, and it’s time to move on. I am proud of all I did in MMA and all experiences I had.”

During his career, Rua fought in several different organizations including Pride, Dream, and Cage Rage, as well as spending time as EliteXC middleweight champion.

Rua will continue to teach and train alongside his brother Maurcio “Shogun” Rua, and said he looks forward to spending more time with friends and family.

“It was a fantastic road and this is a very trying time. But there comes a time for everything in life, and ‘s time to move on. I’m proud of everything I’ve done in MMA and all the experiences I had in this profession that I embraced with love,” Rua stated.

“I’ll keep working on MMA giving seminars, lectures, training athletes, and doing my part to help our sport that I love so much. Now it’s time to help others, and enjoy my family, my wife, my children, and move on.”

Rua is the latest of a string of fighters that have announced retirements recently. Just over the last two months both Ricardo Almeida and Nick Thompson have called it a career as well.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC Announces Return to Belfast, Lays Out Remainder of 2016 Schedule

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced the remainder of its schedule for 2016 at Friday's UFC 204: Bisping vs. Henderson 2 press conference in Las Vegas. read news >>

World Series of Fighting Announces Remaining Event Schedule for 2016

Following its highest-viewed live event of the year, World Series of Fighting announced on Tuesday that it has pegged new dates to its four remaining 2016 events. read news >>

Team Alpha Male Hires New CEO

Team Alpha Male announced on Tuesday that Josh Espley, former Executive Vice President of Onnit, has been hired on as CEO. read news >>

World Series of Fighting Signs Heavyweights Jared Rosholt and Ashley Gooch

• a day ago

World Series of Fighting announced on Wednesday that it has signed heavyweights Jared “The Big Show” Rosholt and Ashley Gooch. read news >>

UFC 202 Fighter Bonuses: The Diaz-McGregor Rematch Earns Fight of the Night

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced the winners of the fighter bonuses following Saturday's UFC 202 pay-per-view event at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. read news >>

UFC Fighter Ricard Abreu Receives Two-Year Suspension for Steroid Use

USADA announced on Friday that UFC athlete Ricardo Abreu, of Albuquerque, N.M., has received a two-year sanction for an anti-doping policy violation. read news >>

UFC Announces Return to Brasilia On September 24

The UFC Octagon will return to Brasilia, Brazil, on September 24. read news >>

Rafael Dos Anjos vs. Tony Ferguson Announced: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

Rafael Dos Anjos will face Tony Ferguson in a five-round lightweight clash in the headline bout of the UFC's event at Mexico City's Arena Ciudad de Mexico on Saturday, November 5. UFC Europe relayed read news >>

Michael Bisping Announces Fight with Dan Henderson in Manchester

Though the UFC has yet to make it official, Michael Bisping took it upon himself to announce his title defense against Dan Henderson. read news >>

RFA 42 Gets New Headliner

Resurrection Fighting Alliance (RFA) president Ed Soares announced on Friday that there has been a change at the top of RFA 42 read news >>