Following a loss to Tom “Kong” Watson at BAMMA 6 on Saturday, Murilo “Ninja” Rua has announced his retirement from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Brazilian made the announcement on his Twitter account, and was later verified by separate sources.

Rua lost the fight to Watson in England after a one-sided match ended with the Brit knocking out the former EliteXC champion.

The loss brought Rua’s record to 20-12-1 overall.

“I would like to announce officially my retirement from pro MMA fights tonight. It was an amazing run, and it’s a very tough moment,” Rua wrote. “But there comes a time for all in life, and it’s time to move on. I am proud of all I did in MMA and all experiences I had.”

During his career, Rua fought in several different organizations including Pride, Dream, and Cage Rage, as well as spending time as EliteXC middleweight champion.

Rua will continue to teach and train alongside his brother Maurcio “Shogun” Rua, and said he looks forward to spending more time with friends and family.

“It was a fantastic road and this is a very trying time. But there comes a time for everything in life, and ‘s time to move on. I’m proud of everything I’ve done in MMA and all the experiences I had in this profession that I embraced with love,” Rua stated.

“I’ll keep working on MMA giving seminars, lectures, training athletes, and doing my part to help our sport that I love so much. Now it’s time to help others, and enjoy my family, my wife, my children, and move on.”

Rua is the latest of a string of fighters that have announced retirements recently. Just over the last two months both Ricardo Almeida and Nick Thompson have called it a career as well.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

From Around the Web

UFC Fight Night 63 attendance: Event earns $200K more than previous visit to venue

FAIRFAX, Va. – Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 63 event drew an announced attendance of 5,417 for a live gate of $545,604.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Backstrom vs. Lahat Announced for UFC Berlin Event

UFC® FIGHT NIGHT: GUSTAFSSON vs. TEIXEIRA further boosted with new matchup read news >>

Alexander Gustafsson Considered Retirement After KO Loss to Anthony Johnson

No man is unbendable, unbreakable or invincible. Though we may achieve herculean feats, every human being is bound by mortality and the potential for failure. This concept became very real for Alexan read news >>

Can Arizona force WSOF's Eric Regan into retirement?

Tucked within the state-issued medical suspension report for last Saturday's World Series of Fighting 19 show, the Arizona Boxing & MMA Commission (ABMC) left a curious note for local fighter Eric Re read news >>

Three bouts announced for Bellator 137, including Mike Richman vs. Eduardo Dantas

The main card for Bellator 137 has come together with the announcement of three more fights.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Tony Ferguson vs. Josh Thomson set for UFC Fight Night card in San Diego

The UFC has announced the first bout to the upcoming Fight Night event in San Diego. Unbeaten over the past five bouts, Tony Ferguson enters the Octagon for the second time in 2015 against Josh Thoms read news >>

Sergio Moraes’ new opponent announced for UFC Fight Night 64

An injury has once again forced a change in Sergio Moraes’ next fight. Moraes, a multiple time jiu-jitsu champion, will now face UFC newcomer Mickael Lebout at UFC Fight Night 64 in Krakow, Poland, o read news >>

Invicta FC 12 card finalized, tickets on sale

The full card for Invicta FC 12 has been finalized with a total of 10 fights announced for the April 24 event.Filed under: News read news >>

Mark Munoz's retirement plan has long been in the making

Mark Munoz owns a gym, does motivational speeches and leads an anti-bullying campaign. He also runs his own wrestling camp and is trying to raise four kids with his wife Kristi. In other words, Munoz read news >>