Following a loss to Tom “Kong” Watson at BAMMA 6 on Saturday, Murilo “Ninja” Rua has announced his retirement from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Brazilian made the announcement on his Twitter account, and was later verified by separate sources.

Rua lost the fight to Watson in England after a one-sided match ended with the Brit knocking out the former EliteXC champion.

The loss brought Rua’s record to 20-12-1 overall.

“I would like to announce officially my retirement from pro MMA fights tonight. It was an amazing run, and it’s a very tough moment,” Rua wrote. “But there comes a time for all in life, and it’s time to move on. I am proud of all I did in MMA and all experiences I had.”

During his career, Rua fought in several different organizations including Pride, Dream, and Cage Rage, as well as spending time as EliteXC middleweight champion.

Rua will continue to teach and train alongside his brother Maurcio “Shogun” Rua, and said he looks forward to spending more time with friends and family.

“It was a fantastic road and this is a very trying time. But there comes a time for everything in life, and ‘s time to move on. I’m proud of everything I’ve done in MMA and all the experiences I had in this profession that I embraced with love,” Rua stated.

“I’ll keep working on MMA giving seminars, lectures, training athletes, and doing my part to help our sport that I love so much. Now it’s time to help others, and enjoy my family, my wife, my children, and move on.”

Rua is the latest of a string of fighters that have announced retirements recently. Just over the last two months both Ricardo Almeida and Nick Thompson have called it a career as well.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC and Dgital Media Launch 'UFC Unfiltered With Jim Norton and Matt Serra'

UFC today announced its partnership with DGital Media to launch an exclusive on-demand audio series. “UFC Unfiltered with Jim Norton and Matt Serra” will be the primary podcast destination for read news >>

Don Frye to Join 2016 UFC Hall of Fame Class as Pioneer

UFC on Saturday announced that two-time UFC tournament champion Don “The Predator” Frye has been named to the 2016 UFC Hall of Fame class as a Pioneer. read news >>

Nate Diaz vs. Conor McGregor II Announced for UFC 202: Latest Comments, Reaction

After plenty of posturing by all parties involved, the UFC confirmed Saturday night Conor McGregor will return to the Octagon for a rematch with Nate Diaz, per UFC commentator Jon Anik. The two will read news >>

VIDEO: Dan Henderson Says UFC 199 May Have Been His Last Fight

MMA legend Dan Henderson discusses the possibility of retirement following his UFC 199 knockout win over Hector Lombard. read news >>

VIDEO: Urijah Faber Talks Possible Retirement After Second Loss to Dominick Cruz

Following his second loss to UFC champion Dominick Cruz, Urijah Faber addressed the possibility that retirement could be on the horizon for him. read news >>

Brock Lesnar vs. Mark Hunt Announced for UFC 200: Latest Comments and Reaction

Late last year, Brock Lesnar said he felt he got "robbed" by diverticulitis that cost him the prime of his UFC career. Now, as he prepares for a one-off return at UFC 200, Lesnar's ready to prove to read news >>

Brock Lesnar announces return at UFC 200

Former UFC heavyweight champion and current WWE superstar Brock Lesnar went on ESPN's SportsCenter to announce his return to the Octagon at UFC 200 on July 9, 2016 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. read news >>

UFC Grants Brock Lesnar A Special Exemption on Drug Testing

If you're a professional fighter coming out of retirement, you must notify the UFC and its drug-testing partner, the United States Anti-Doping Agency, four months in advance. Unless, that is, the UFC read news >>

Mike Arrant Replaces Injured Thiago Meller, Faces John Howard at WSOF 31

World Series of Fighting announced today that Thiago Meller has withdrawn from his scheduled welterweight contest against John Howard, who will now face Mike Arrant at WSOF 31. read news >>

UFC returns to Vancouver this August

UFC announced today it will stage its second Canadian event of the year at Rogers Arena in Vancouver on Saturday, August 27. UFC FIGHT NIGHT® will mark the fourth UFC card in Vancouver read news >>