Murilo ‘Ninja’ Rua Announces Retirement From MMA

Following a loss to Tom “Kong” Watson at BAMMA 6 on Saturday, Murilo “Ninja” Rua has announced his retirement from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Brazilian made the announcement on his Twitter account, and was later verified by separate sources.

Rua lost the fight to Watson in England after a one-sided match ended with the Brit knocking out the former EliteXC champion.

The loss brought Rua’s record to 20-12-1 overall.

“I would like to announce officially my retirement from pro MMA fights tonight. It was an amazing run, and it’s a very tough moment,” Rua wrote. “But there comes a time for all in life, and it’s time to move on. I am proud of all I did in MMA and all experiences I had.”

During his career, Rua fought in several different organizations including Pride, Dream, and Cage Rage, as well as spending time as EliteXC middleweight champion.

Rua will continue to teach and train alongside his brother Maurcio “Shogun” Rua, and said he looks forward to spending more time with friends and family.

“It was a fantastic road and this is a very trying time. But there comes a time for everything in life, and ‘s time to move on. I’m proud of everything I’ve done in MMA and all the experiences I had in this profession that I embraced with love,” Rua stated.

“I’ll keep working on MMA giving seminars, lectures, training athletes, and doing my part to help our sport that I love so much. Now it’s time to help others, and enjoy my family, my wife, my children, and move on.”

Rua is the latest of a string of fighters that have announced retirements recently. Just over the last two months both Ricardo Almeida and Nick Thompson have called it a career as well.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

The Thugjitsu era has come to a close. Yves Edwards, one of the most respected fighters in the UFC, is calling it quits. The 17-year MMA veteran announced his retirement Sunday night on Facebook. Edw read news >>

Former WEC lightweight champion Jamie Varner announced his retirement from MMA on Saturday, just moments after a first-round loss to Drew Dober at UFC on FOX 13. In his retirement announcement in the read news >>

Following six losses in nine fights, former Ultimate Fighting Championship welterweight Cody McKenzie has retired from mixed martial arts. read news >>

The UFC announced on Saturday that it had re-signed former light heavyweight champion Quinton "Rampage" Jackson. read news >>

After 17 years, 66 professional fights, 42 victories, eight UFC stints and bouts with nearly every MMA organization of note, Yves Edwards has announced his retirement.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Alex White’s third-round KO loss to Lucas Martins at UFC Fight Night 45 in July sparked a change in his life. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Bellator MMA officials have announced the addition of a pair of action-packed match-ups for the launch of the promotion's 2015 season. read news >>

On Sunday, longtime MMA veteran Yves Edwards announced his retirement from fighting via his Facebook page. The 38-year old "Thugjitsu Master," who competed for 17 years and fought 66 times as a pro, read news >>

The UFC has officially announced their major partnership with Reebok, including the long rumored UFC uniform. The UFC and Reebok made it official today after months of talk, Reebok will be the offici read news >>

Jump to: