Following a loss to Tom “Kong” Watson at BAMMA 6 on Saturday, Murilo “Ninja” Rua has announced his retirement from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Brazilian made the announcement on his Twitter account, and was later verified by separate sources.

Rua lost the fight to Watson in England after a one-sided match ended with the Brit knocking out the former EliteXC champion.

The loss brought Rua’s record to 20-12-1 overall.

“I would like to announce officially my retirement from pro MMA fights tonight. It was an amazing run, and it’s a very tough moment,” Rua wrote. “But there comes a time for all in life, and it’s time to move on. I am proud of all I did in MMA and all experiences I had.”

During his career, Rua fought in several different organizations including Pride, Dream, and Cage Rage, as well as spending time as EliteXC middleweight champion.

Rua will continue to teach and train alongside his brother Maurcio “Shogun” Rua, and said he looks forward to spending more time with friends and family.

“It was a fantastic road and this is a very trying time. But there comes a time for everything in life, and ‘s time to move on. I’m proud of everything I’ve done in MMA and all the experiences I had in this profession that I embraced with love,” Rua stated.

“I’ll keep working on MMA giving seminars, lectures, training athletes, and doing my part to help our sport that I love so much. Now it’s time to help others, and enjoy my family, my wife, my children, and move on.”

Rua is the latest of a string of fighters that have announced retirements recently. Just over the last two months both Ricardo Almeida and Nick Thompson have called it a career as well.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Daniel Cormier vs Anderson Silva Announced for UFC 200: Latest Details, Reaction

Anderson Silva will replace Jon Jones at UFC 200 on Saturday and fight Daniel Cormier in a non-title bout. Brazil's Globo reported the news Thursday (via FloSports' Jeremy Botter). TMZ confirmed the read news >>

UFC Fight Night 90 Fighter Bonuses: Eddie Alvarez Earns More Than Just the Belt

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced the winners of the $50,000 fighter bonuses stemming from UFC Fight Night 90 during the event's post-fight press conference. read news >>

Michael Bisping to Face Dan Henderson in First Title Defense

UFC president Dana White announced on Saturday that middleweight champion Michael Bisping would face Dan Henderson in his first title defense. read news >>

Michael Bisping vs. Dan Henderson 2 Announced Following UFC 200

New UFC Middleweight champion Michael Bisping is a very busy man, and his schedule just got even more crowded. Speaking to Fox Sports 1 on the UFC 200 post-fight show, UFC President Dana White announ read news >>

After Weeks of Denials, UFC Sale Announced by New Owners WME-IMG

Following reports on Sunday night of the UFC being sold to WME-IMG for $4 billion, the Ultimate Fighting Championship's new ownership made its own announcement Monday morning confirming the sale: WME read news >>

Mizuki Inoue Steps in as Late Replacement at Invicta FC 18

Invicta Fighting Championships has announced that Mizuki Inoue as the replacement for undefeated Indian fighter Manjit Kolekar at Invicta FC 18: Grasso vs. Esquibel. read news >>

WSOF Signs UFC and Bellator Veteran Paul Bradley

World Series of Fighting announced on Thursday that it has signed UFC and Bellator veteran Paul Bradley. read news >>

Cro Cop Comes Out of Retirement to Fight in RIZIN FF Open Weight Tournament

Former PRIDE and UFC heavyweight star Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic comes out of retirement to participate in the RIZEN FF Open Weight Gran Prix in September. read news >>

Maia-Condit clash set to headline Vancouver

UFC announced No.3 ranked welterweight contender Demian Maia will battle No.5 ranked Carlos Condit in the main event of UFC FIGHT NIGHT MAIA vs. CONDIT at Vancouver’s Rogers Arena on Saturday, August read news >>

Chad Mendes Sidelined for Two Years for UFC Anti-Doping Violation

USADA announced on Wednesday that Chad Mendes has received a two-year period of ineligibility for violating the UFC Anti-Doping Policy. read news >>