Following a loss to Tom “Kong” Watson at BAMMA 6 on Saturday, Murilo “Ninja” Rua has announced his retirement from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Brazilian made the announcement on his Twitter account, and was later verified by separate sources.

Rua lost the fight to Watson in England after a one-sided match ended with the Brit knocking out the former EliteXC champion.

The loss brought Rua’s record to 20-12-1 overall.

“I would like to announce officially my retirement from pro MMA fights tonight. It was an amazing run, and it’s a very tough moment,” Rua wrote. “But there comes a time for all in life, and it’s time to move on. I am proud of all I did in MMA and all experiences I had.”

During his career, Rua fought in several different organizations including Pride, Dream, and Cage Rage, as well as spending time as EliteXC middleweight champion.

Rua will continue to teach and train alongside his brother Maurcio “Shogun” Rua, and said he looks forward to spending more time with friends and family.

“It was a fantastic road and this is a very trying time. But there comes a time for everything in life, and ‘s time to move on. I’m proud of everything I’ve done in MMA and all the experiences I had in this profession that I embraced with love,” Rua stated.

“I’ll keep working on MMA giving seminars, lectures, training athletes, and doing my part to help our sport that I love so much. Now it’s time to help others, and enjoy my family, my wife, my children, and move on.”

Rua is the latest of a string of fighters that have announced retirements recently. Just over the last two months both Ricardo Almeida and Nick Thompson have called it a career as well.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC GYM announces international expansion to Southeast Asia

UFC GYM, the fast-growing franchise that combines mixed martial arts (MMA) and fitness, announced the expansion of its global footprint into Vietnam with the opening of a new signature gym in Hanoi. read news >>

Conan O'Brien announces live that he's a part-owner of the UFC (Video)

Conan O'Brien announced live on his show that, thanks to the purchase by WME-IMG, he's a part-owner of the UFC. He also listed a tonof investors along with him.There has been no shortage of read news >>

Bellator MMA Announces Back-to-Back Events |

Bellator announced the promotion’s first ever Friday/Saturday doubleheader event with Bellator 166 and Bellator 167 taking place on consecutive nights. read news >>

Daniel Cormier announces his next opponent for the UFC light heavyweight championship

Daniel Cormier has announced his next challenger for the UFC light heavyweight title. Find out who it is and when it goes down. read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Announces He Has Left UFC: Latest Comments, Reaction

Georges St-Pierre announced on Monday's The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani that he is no longer with UFC, per the show's producer, Eric Jackman. Jackman noted the fighter is a free agent after his lawye read news >>

Legacy FC 60 Results and Highlights: Brian Heden Retires Tyler East |

Legacy FC 60 headliner Tyler East announced his retirement from MMA after rival Brian Heden knocked him out. read news >>

Vitor Belfort to announce retirement after UFC 204

UFC legend Vitor Belfort could be retiring after his fight against Gegard Mousasi at UFC 204.The big story line of UFC 204 is legend Dan Henderson looking to claim the one belt that has eluded him by read news >>

Dan Henderson Stands By Retirement Talk, Calls It a Career at UFC 204 |

Dan Henderson has been competing in MMA for nearly two decades, but he confirmed that UFC 204 was the last time we will see him fighting in the Octagon. read news >>

Former UFC champ Georges St-Pierre: 'I am a free agent'

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre announced he is a free agent.On Monday, during an appearance on The MMA Hour, former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre announcedhe is no l read news >>

UFC Sacramento: Colby Covington Takes On Bryan Barberena

UFC Sacramento will feature the "Prospect Killer" Bryan Barberena taking on talented wrestler Colby Covington.The UFC officially announced the addition on their website.Out of the four figh read news >>