Murilo ‘Ninja’ Rua Announces Retirement From MMA

Following a loss to Tom “Kong” Watson at BAMMA 6 on Saturday, Murilo “Ninja” Rua has announced his retirement from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Brazilian made the announcement on his Twitter account, and was later verified by separate sources.

Rua lost the fight to Watson in England after a one-sided match ended with the Brit knocking out the former EliteXC champion.

The loss brought Rua’s record to 20-12-1 overall.

“I would like to announce officially my retirement from pro MMA fights tonight. It was an amazing run, and it’s a very tough moment,” Rua wrote. “But there comes a time for all in life, and it’s time to move on. I am proud of all I did in MMA and all experiences I had.”

During his career, Rua fought in several different organizations including Pride, Dream, and Cage Rage, as well as spending time as EliteXC middleweight champion.

Rua will continue to teach and train alongside his brother Maurcio “Shogun” Rua, and said he looks forward to spending more time with friends and family.

“It was a fantastic road and this is a very trying time. But there comes a time for everything in life, and ‘s time to move on. I’m proud of everything I’ve done in MMA and all the experiences I had in this profession that I embraced with love,” Rua stated.

“I’ll keep working on MMA giving seminars, lectures, training athletes, and doing my part to help our sport that I love so much. Now it’s time to help others, and enjoy my family, my wife, my children, and move on.”

Rua is the latest of a string of fighters that have announced retirements recently. Just over the last two months both Ricardo Almeida and Nick Thompson have called it a career as well.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Bellator MMA on Wednesday announced that it has signed Stephan Bonnar, who follows fellow UFC Hall of Famer Tito Ortiz. Is a fight between the two on the horizon? read news >>

After a 15-fight career, including his past four in the UFC, 33-year-old light heavyweight Cody Donovan is retiring from MMA.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

On Saturday night, Aaron Phillips fights for the second time under the UFC banner. Not bad for a guy who’s only been a professional fighter for a little more than two months.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

MMA Fighting has UFC Fight Night 48 results for the Bisping vs. Le event Saturday morning in Macau, China.In the main event, Michael Bisping faces Cung Le in a middleweight contest. Dong Hyun Kim squ read news >>

TULSA – Saturday night’s UFC Fight Night 49 event drew an announced attendance of 7,119 and a live gate of $452,075.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

The main card for the UFC's Mexico City debut has taken shape. Tuseday, the company announced the PPV portion of the Nov. 15 card underneath the main event of heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez vs. read news >>

Ben Saunders looks back at his thrilling return to the UFC on Saturday night. read news >>

Stephan Bonnar, who retired from mixed martial arts in 2012, has signed with Bellator MMA. read news >>

SACRAMENTO – Saturday night’s UFC 177 event drew an announced attendance of 11,100 and a live gate of $700,000.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>