Following a loss to Tom “Kong” Watson at BAMMA 6 on Saturday, Murilo “Ninja” Rua has announced his retirement from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Brazilian made the announcement on his Twitter account, and was later verified by separate sources.

Rua lost the fight to Watson in England after a one-sided match ended with the Brit knocking out the former EliteXC champion.

The loss brought Rua’s record to 20-12-1 overall.

“I would like to announce officially my retirement from pro MMA fights tonight. It was an amazing run, and it’s a very tough moment,” Rua wrote. “But there comes a time for all in life, and it’s time to move on. I am proud of all I did in MMA and all experiences I had.”

During his career, Rua fought in several different organizations including Pride, Dream, and Cage Rage, as well as spending time as EliteXC middleweight champion.

Rua will continue to teach and train alongside his brother Maurcio “Shogun” Rua, and said he looks forward to spending more time with friends and family.

“It was a fantastic road and this is a very trying time. But there comes a time for everything in life, and ‘s time to move on. I’m proud of everything I’ve done in MMA and all the experiences I had in this profession that I embraced with love,” Rua stated.

“I’ll keep working on MMA giving seminars, lectures, training athletes, and doing my part to help our sport that I love so much. Now it’s time to help others, and enjoy my family, my wife, my children, and move on.”

Rua is the latest of a string of fighters that have announced retirements recently. Just over the last two months both Ricardo Almeida and Nick Thompson have called it a career as well.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC Vet Chris Leben Out of Retirement, Signs with Bellator

Bellator MMA on Saturday announced its latest acquisition, the signing of former WEC middleweight champion and UFC veteran Chris "The Crippler" Leben. read news >>

BJ Penn Officially Ends UFC Retirement: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

UFC Hall of Famer and former two-division champion BJ Penn officially announced his return to the Octagon on Tuesday. Per an interview on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani (via MMAFighting's Shaun Al-S read news >>

WSOF 28 heads to California with Marlon Moraes vs. Joseph Barajas title bout

WSOF has announced the headliner and co-headliner for WSOF 28, which takes place in California on Feb. 20.Filed under: News, WSOF read news >>

Brad Imes on retirement: They told me I was going to die or become a vegetable

Former college football player and “The Ultimate Fighter 2” runner-up Brad Imes found some success and plenty of fun in MMA. But following his retirement, he faced some dark days.Filed under: News, U read news >>

WSOF announces upcoming events in Connecticut, Massachusetts, North Dakota

WSOF’s summer plans have now been made official with the announcement of locations for WSOF 31, WSOF 32 and WSOF 33.Filed under: News, WSOF read news >>

WSOF 29: Gaethje vs. Foster Moves to New Colorado Venue

World Series of Fighting announced on Saturday that the location for WSOF29: Gaethje vs. Foster has been moved to a new Colorado location. read news >>

Cain Velasquez Injured, Stipe Miocic Steps in to Face Fabricio Werdum at UFC 196

UFC officials announced on Sunday that the former heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez has been forced to withdraw from the UFC 196 title fight against titleholder Fabricio Werdum. read news >>

Victory FC 48 heads to Iowa on Feb. 19 with Jackson vs. Moreno title fight

Victory FC, which recently announced a new deal with UFC Fight Pass, has set a full lineup for its second event of the year.Filed under: News read news >>

Hendricks vs. Thompson Now Headlines UFC Fight Night on FS1 Feb. 6 in Las Vegas

UFC® announced today that its card on Saturday, Feb. 6 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas will now air live on FS1 and be headlined by a five-round welterweight bout between former read news >>

Four Bouts Announced for Debut Event in Croatia

UFC® today announced the first four bouts to be included in the organisation’s debut event in Croatia on Sunday, April 10 at Zagreb Arena. Tickets for UFC FIGHT NIGHT® ZAGREB will go on general sale read news >>