Murilo ‘Ninja’ Rua Announces Retirement From MMA

Following a loss to Tom “Kong” Watson at BAMMA 6 on Saturday, Murilo “Ninja” Rua has announced his retirement from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Brazilian made the announcement on his Twitter account, and was later verified by separate sources.

Rua lost the fight to Watson in England after a one-sided match ended with the Brit knocking out the former EliteXC champion.

The loss brought Rua’s record to 20-12-1 overall.

“I would like to announce officially my retirement from pro MMA fights tonight. It was an amazing run, and it’s a very tough moment,” Rua wrote. “But there comes a time for all in life, and it’s time to move on. I am proud of all I did in MMA and all experiences I had.”

During his career, Rua fought in several different organizations including Pride, Dream, and Cage Rage, as well as spending time as EliteXC middleweight champion.

Rua will continue to teach and train alongside his brother Maurcio “Shogun” Rua, and said he looks forward to spending more time with friends and family.

“It was a fantastic road and this is a very trying time. But there comes a time for everything in life, and ‘s time to move on. I’m proud of everything I’ve done in MMA and all the experiences I had in this profession that I embraced with love,” Rua stated.

“I’ll keep working on MMA giving seminars, lectures, training athletes, and doing my part to help our sport that I love so much. Now it’s time to help others, and enjoy my family, my wife, my children, and move on.”

Rua is the latest of a string of fighters that have announced retirements recently. Just over the last two months both Ricardo Almeida and Nick Thompson have called it a career as well.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

From Around the Web

LAS VEGAS – Rafael Natal outworked a gritty Tom Watson over three rounds to earn a unanimous decision.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

With perhaps a future 170-pound title shot hanging in the balance, Tyron Woodley and Kelvin Gastelum were more than motivated to score another key victory when they hooked 'em up tonight (Jan. 31, 20 read news >>

LAS VEGAS -- Rafael Natal talks about his decision over Tom Watson at UFC 183, showcasing his complete game, his focus on takedowns, Watson's toughness, the state of the middleweight division after W read news >>

Anderson Silva returned Saturday night at UFC 183 and was victorious by unanimous decision over Nick Diaz. It was an emotional evening for the former UFC champion. After the decision was read, he bro read news >>

Former Strikeforce champion Nick Diaz posted a cryptic message on his Instagram account, which could be seen as a hint regarding his retirement from professional MMA. Last Saturday, Nick Diaz stepped read news >>

A third straight loss and another failed drug test could be the final nail in the coffin of Nick Diaz’s rollercoaster career. The former Strikeforce champ could face a lengthy suspension and a hefty read news >>

ONE Championship (as Asia’s biggest MMA organization now wants to be known) announced eight new signings on Friday, including undefeated BJJ black belt Christian Uflacker, who has previously enjoyed read news >>

Glory kickboxing announced a new broadcasting deal in the U.S. In addition to the Spike TV broadcasts, the premier kickboxing organization will air three events per year on CBS, called "Glory Superfi read news >>

Following a second straight loss in the lightweight division, Benson Henderson accepted an opportunity to return to the Octagon on short notice as a replacement opponent for Brandon Thatch. Originall read news >>