Following a loss to Tom “Kong” Watson at BAMMA 6 on Saturday, Murilo “Ninja” Rua has announced his retirement from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Brazilian made the announcement on his Twitter account, and was later verified by separate sources.

Rua lost the fight to Watson in England after a one-sided match ended with the Brit knocking out the former EliteXC champion.

The loss brought Rua’s record to 20-12-1 overall.

“I would like to announce officially my retirement from pro MMA fights tonight. It was an amazing run, and it’s a very tough moment,” Rua wrote. “But there comes a time for all in life, and it’s time to move on. I am proud of all I did in MMA and all experiences I had.”

During his career, Rua fought in several different organizations including Pride, Dream, and Cage Rage, as well as spending time as EliteXC middleweight champion.

Rua will continue to teach and train alongside his brother Maurcio “Shogun” Rua, and said he looks forward to spending more time with friends and family.

“It was a fantastic road and this is a very trying time. But there comes a time for everything in life, and ‘s time to move on. I’m proud of everything I’ve done in MMA and all the experiences I had in this profession that I embraced with love,” Rua stated.

“I’ll keep working on MMA giving seminars, lectures, training athletes, and doing my part to help our sport that I love so much. Now it’s time to help others, and enjoy my family, my wife, my children, and move on.”

Rua is the latest of a string of fighters that have announced retirements recently. Just over the last two months both Ricardo Almeida and Nick Thompson have called it a career as well.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow on Twitter and Facebook.

Former UFC Contender Alan Belcher Announces Retirement

Former UFC middleweight contender Alan Belcher announced his retirement from mixed martial arts on Friday. read news >>

Former UFC middleweight contender Alan Belcher announces retirement

Out of action for the past two-and-a-half years, Alan Belcher today made it official: He’s officially retired.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Longtime Bellator fighter Brett Cooper, 28, announces retirement

Brett Cooper, who’s enjoyed a long run with Bellator, has apparently called it quits on his MMA career.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

After brutal string of opponents, Angela Hill announces UFC release

After fighting a terribly tough stretch of opponents, Angela Hill recently announced the UFC has released her from her contract.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

'Cro Cop' pulls out of UFC Fight Night 79 co-headliner, announces MMA retirement

Mirko Filipovic is out of this month’s UFC Fight Night 79 co-headliner. He’s also apparently done with the sport.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Announces TUF 23 Tryouts for Men and Women

• a day ago

UFC announced tryouts for the upcoming season of its long-running successful reality series, The Ultimate Fighter, at Red Rock Casino in Las Vegas on December 14. read news >>

Before retirement, 'Big Nog' was spending 7 months a year 'doing physical therapy'

SAO PAULO – Retired UFC heavyweight and former interim champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira decided he needed to retire when he realized how he was spending most of his time.Filed under: Featured Videos read news >>

UFC 197 Confirmed for Rio in March; Could Anderson Silva Make the Card?

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced on Saturday that UFC 197 will take place in Rio de Janeiro in March. Could Anderson Silva make his return there? read news >>

Kimbo Slice to Return to Bellator MMA Opposite Dada 5000 in February Event

During the Bellator 145 broadcast, Bellator President Scott Coker announced their next big tentpole event, and they have a wild pair of headlining fights set. In the main event, UFC and MMA legends K read news >>

Ken Shamrock vs. Royce Gracie 3 Announced for Bellator Event in February

Bellator is once again reaching into the history books to find its big main events, and it went deep for this one. During the Bellator 145 broadcast, Scott Coker appeared on stage to announce that it read news >>