Following a loss to Tom “Kong” Watson at BAMMA 6 on Saturday, Murilo “Ninja” Rua has announced his retirement from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Brazilian made the announcement on his Twitter account, and was later verified by separate sources.

Rua lost the fight to Watson in England after a one-sided match ended with the Brit knocking out the former EliteXC champion.

The loss brought Rua’s record to 20-12-1 overall.

“I would like to announce officially my retirement from pro MMA fights tonight. It was an amazing run, and it’s a very tough moment,” Rua wrote. “But there comes a time for all in life, and it’s time to move on. I am proud of all I did in MMA and all experiences I had.”

During his career, Rua fought in several different organizations including Pride, Dream, and Cage Rage, as well as spending time as EliteXC middleweight champion.

Rua will continue to teach and train alongside his brother Maurcio “Shogun” Rua, and said he looks forward to spending more time with friends and family.

“It was a fantastic road and this is a very trying time. But there comes a time for everything in life, and ‘s time to move on. I’m proud of everything I’ve done in MMA and all the experiences I had in this profession that I embraced with love,” Rua stated.

“I’ll keep working on MMA giving seminars, lectures, training athletes, and doing my part to help our sport that I love so much. Now it’s time to help others, and enjoy my family, my wife, my children, and move on.”

Rua is the latest of a string of fighters that have announced retirements recently. Just over the last two months both Ricardo Almeida and Nick Thompson have called it a career as well.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Paddy Holohan Announces Retirement Due to Rare Blood Disorder

UFC flyweight Patrick “Paddy” Holohan announced his retirement on Monday due to a rare blood clotting disorder. read news >>

UFC to Return to Germany, Announces Hamburg Event Set for September 3

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced today that it will host an event in Hamburg, Germany on Sept. 3. read news >>

UFC flyweight Paddy Holohan, 27, announces retirement due to blood disorder

UFC flyweight Paddy Holohan, a 27-year-old Irishman who debuted with the organization in 2014, today announced his retirement from the sport. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Sioux Falls and Chicago Headliners Announced

The summer of UFC continues to heat up, with two July shows getting intriguing main events that were announced Sunday. Just four days after UFC 200, the Octagon will set down in Sioux Falls, South read news >>

Back from the Brink, Ray Rodriguez Thanks Cowboy Cerrone for His Career’s Second Life

Back from the brink of retirement, Ray Rodriguez has UFC veterans Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone and Leonard Garcia for a second shot at his fighting career. read news >>

World Series of Fighting 32 Gets New Main Event and Second Title Fight

World Series of Fighting has announced a new main event and second championship rematch between for WSOF 32: Moraes vs. Hill on July 30. read news >>

EA Sports UFC 2 introduces all new competitive gaming experience

Electronic Arts Inc. announced the launch of Live Event Competitions, a brand new competitive experience in EA SPORTS™ UFC® 2 Live Events mode. read news >>

How Tom Duquesnoy's journey is re-defining MMA - MMA Plus

On the cusp of his second world championship, BAMMA fighter Tom Duquesnoy is living proof of MMA's newest generation of athletes. read news >>

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira First Announced 2016 UFC Hall of Fame Inductee

Retired UFC and Pride heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira was announced on Saturday night as the first 2016 inductee into the UFC Hall of Fame. read news >>

UFC 198: Cyborg Justino Slays Leslie Smith, but Leaves Octagon Future in Doubt

The most dangerous fighter in women’s MMA announced her presence with authority Saturday. Then, moments later, she seemed to downplay her own future inside the Octagon. Cris “Cyborg” Justino made sho read news >>