Following a loss to Tom “Kong” Watson at BAMMA 6 on Saturday, Murilo “Ninja” Rua has announced his retirement from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Brazilian made the announcement on his Twitter account, and was later verified by separate sources.

Rua lost the fight to Watson in England after a one-sided match ended with the Brit knocking out the former EliteXC champion.

The loss brought Rua’s record to 20-12-1 overall.

“I would like to announce officially my retirement from pro MMA fights tonight. It was an amazing run, and it’s a very tough moment,” Rua wrote. “But there comes a time for all in life, and it’s time to move on. I am proud of all I did in MMA and all experiences I had.”

During his career, Rua fought in several different organizations including Pride, Dream, and Cage Rage, as well as spending time as EliteXC middleweight champion.

Rua will continue to teach and train alongside his brother Maurcio “Shogun” Rua, and said he looks forward to spending more time with friends and family.

“It was a fantastic road and this is a very trying time. But there comes a time for everything in life, and ‘s time to move on. I’m proud of everything I’ve done in MMA and all the experiences I had in this profession that I embraced with love,” Rua stated.

“I’ll keep working on MMA giving seminars, lectures, training athletes, and doing my part to help our sport that I love so much. Now it’s time to help others, and enjoy my family, my wife, my children, and move on.”

Rua is the latest of a string of fighters that have announced retirements recently. Just over the last two months both Ricardo Almeida and Nick Thompson have called it a career as well.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Paddy Holohan Announces Retirement Due to Rare Blood Disorder

UFC flyweight Patrick “Paddy” Holohan announced his retirement on Monday due to a rare blood clotting disorder. read news >>

UFC flyweight Paddy Holohan, 27, announces retirement due to blood disorder

UFC flyweight Paddy Holohan, a 27-year-old Irishman who debuted with the organization in 2014, today announced his retirement from the sport. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

RIZIN FF Announces Wanderlei Silva’s Tag Team Partner

RIZIN FF announced today that MMA pioneer and former professional wrestling standout Kiyoshi Tamura will join forces with Wanderlei Silva in the special grappling tag team matchup. read news >>

Julianna Pena cleared to resume UFC career following assault allegations

The UFC today announced it has completed an investigation into allegations of assault by women’s bantamweight Julianna Pena and reinstated “The Ultimate Fighter 18” winner, freeing her to resume her read news >>

Yoel Romero Accepts 6-Month Sanction for Using Contaminated Supplement

USADA announced on Monday that Yoel Romero has accepted a 6-month sanction for an anti-doping policy violation stemming from a contaminated supplement. read news >>

Opting against retirement, UFC's Cub Swanson recalls time he was told he wasn't worth $500

UFC featherweight Cub Swanson remembers the time a local promoter basically told him he wasn’t worth $500. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Miesha Tate vs. Amanda Nunes Announced for UFC 200: Latest Comments, Reaction

Miesha Tate's first title defense won't come against Holly Holm. It won't come against Ronda Rousey. Instead, the UFC women's bantamweight champion will take on fourth-ranked competitor Amanda Nunes read news >>

Miesha Tate vs. Amanda Nunes Announced for UFC 200: Latest Comments, Reaction

Dan Henderson on UFC on FOX 19 and retirement talk: 'Maybe this is the last' fight

When you’re 45 and nearly two decades into a pro-fighting career, the retirement questions are bound to pop up repeatedly. But MMA great Dan Henderson still isn’t ready to call it quits.Filed under: read news >>

Jon Jones Discusses UFC Retirement, Marijuana Usage, Hit-and-Run Incident, More

Jon Jones is hailed as a revolutionary force of the mixed martial arts world, but the Ultimate Fighting Championship star has proclaimed he "wanted to retire and quit" following recent struggles with read news >>