Following a loss to Tom “Kong” Watson at BAMMA 6 on Saturday, Murilo “Ninja” Rua has announced his retirement from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Brazilian made the announcement on his Twitter account, and was later verified by separate sources.

Rua lost the fight to Watson in England after a one-sided match ended with the Brit knocking out the former EliteXC champion.

The loss brought Rua’s record to 20-12-1 overall.

“I would like to announce officially my retirement from pro MMA fights tonight. It was an amazing run, and it’s a very tough moment,” Rua wrote. “But there comes a time for all in life, and it’s time to move on. I am proud of all I did in MMA and all experiences I had.”

During his career, Rua fought in several different organizations including Pride, Dream, and Cage Rage, as well as spending time as EliteXC middleweight champion.

Rua will continue to teach and train alongside his brother Maurcio “Shogun” Rua, and said he looks forward to spending more time with friends and family.

“It was a fantastic road and this is a very trying time. But there comes a time for everything in life, and ‘s time to move on. I’m proud of everything I’ve done in MMA and all the experiences I had in this profession that I embraced with love,” Rua stated.

“I’ll keep working on MMA giving seminars, lectures, training athletes, and doing my part to help our sport that I love so much. Now it’s time to help others, and enjoy my family, my wife, my children, and move on.”

Rua is the latest of a string of fighters that have announced retirements recently. Just over the last two months both Ricardo Almeida and Nick Thompson have called it a career as well.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC Announces Highly Anticipated Return to London

After months of speculation, UFC® today announced its much anticipated return to London, England. The event will take place at The O2 in London on Saturday, March 18, 2017. read news >>

UFC Announces London Event for March 2017 | MMAWeekly.com

The Ultimate Fighting Championship on Wednesday announced its return to London, England. read news >>

UFC 205 results: Raquel Pennington dominates Miesha Tate, who announces retirement

NEW YORK – Raquel Pennington dominated her former “Ultimate Fighter” coach, Miesha Tate, to open the UFC 205 pay-per-view on Saturday. Then Tate pulled a stunner.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

NEW YORK – By the time Miesha Tate dragged Raquel Pennington into the type of grappling fight that favored her, she was already down two rounds and struggling. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Miesha Tate Announces Her Retirement at UFC 205 | MMAWeekly.com

Miesha Tate has been fighting for the past decade, but she's had enough. read news >>

Miesha Tate Retires from UFC: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

MMA fighter Miesha Tate announced her retirement from the UFC on Saturday evening. "It's not my time anymore," she announced, per SportsCenter, after losing a unanimous decision to Raquel Pennington  read news >>

UFC Fight Night 100 results: Johnny Eduardo takes out Manny Gamburyan, who announces retirement

SAO PAULO – Manny Gamburyan’s eagerness to press the action cost him dearly against Johnny Eduardo. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Kyle Noke Retires After UFC Melbourne Loss | MMAWeekly.com

UFC welterweight Kyle Noke announced his retirement via Twitter following his decision loss to Omari Akhmedov at UFC Fight Night 101. read news >>

After loss to Akhmedov at UFC Fight Night 101, 33-fight veteran Kyle Noke announces retirement

A longtime stalwart of Aussie MMA is calling it a career. Filed under: News read news >>

UFC Fight Night 101 draws announced sell-out of 13,721 for $2.2 million AUD live gate

MELBOURNE, Australia – Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 101 event drew an announced attendance of 13,721 for a live gate of $2.2 million AUD.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>