Following a loss to Tom “Kong” Watson at BAMMA 6 on Saturday, Murilo “Ninja” Rua has announced his retirement from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Brazilian made the announcement on his Twitter account, and was later verified by separate sources.

Rua lost the fight to Watson in England after a one-sided match ended with the Brit knocking out the former EliteXC champion.

The loss brought Rua’s record to 20-12-1 overall.

“I would like to announce officially my retirement from pro MMA fights tonight. It was an amazing run, and it’s a very tough moment,” Rua wrote. “But there comes a time for all in life, and it’s time to move on. I am proud of all I did in MMA and all experiences I had.”

During his career, Rua fought in several different organizations including Pride, Dream, and Cage Rage, as well as spending time as EliteXC middleweight champion.

Rua will continue to teach and train alongside his brother Maurcio “Shogun” Rua, and said he looks forward to spending more time with friends and family.

“It was a fantastic road and this is a very trying time. But there comes a time for everything in life, and ‘s time to move on. I’m proud of everything I’ve done in MMA and all the experiences I had in this profession that I embraced with love,” Rua stated.

“I’ll keep working on MMA giving seminars, lectures, training athletes, and doing my part to help our sport that I love so much. Now it’s time to help others, and enjoy my family, my wife, my children, and move on.”

Rua is the latest of a string of fighters that have announced retirements recently. Just over the last two months both Ricardo Almeida and Nick Thompson have called it a career as well.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Adlan Amagov officially announces retirement from MMA competition

UFC welterweight Adlan Amagov has officially announced his retirement from professional sports, including mixed martial arts competition. For months, the reasons for Adlan Amagov's extended absence f read news >>

UFC announces South Korean debut on November 28

The announced today that it is heading to Seoul, South Korea for the first time in the fall. Today following the Ultimate Fighting Championship's successful Philippines debut in Manila at UFC Fight N read news >>

UFC Announces First Event in South Korea

Singapore – UFC® today announced that it will bring its first ever live event to Seoul, South Korea, on November 28, 2015 at the city’s Olympic Park Gymnastics Arena. This marks the third UFC event i read news >>

Eddie Wineland Puts Off Retirement, Faces Bryan Caraway at UFC on Fox 16

UFC officials announced on Thursday that sixth-ranked Eddie Wineland (21-10-1) would take on tenth-ranked Bryan Caraway (19-7) at UFC on FOX 16. read news >>

UFC 190: Rousey vs. Correia Event Page and Fight Card Rumors

Announced bouts, fight card rumors and start times for UFC 190: Rousey vs. Correia at the HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on August 1. read news >>

Reebok terminates Jon Jones' contract in light of recent arrest

Jon Jones' Reebok sponsorship is no more. The apparel company announced on Wednesday that it had terminated Jones' contract effective immediately. "In light of recent events, we have made the decisio read news >>

VIDEO: Dana White Announces Jon Jones Stripped of UFC Belt

UFC president Dana White was on FOX Sports Live on Tuesday night to announce that the promotion had stripped champion Jon Jones of his title. read news >>

Jon Jones Stripped of UFC Title, Suspended Indefinitely

Jon Jones has been stripped of the UFC light heavyweight title and suspended indefinitely by the organization, UFC President Dana White announced on Tuesday. read news >>

Anthony Johnson vs Daniel Cormier UFC 187 fight announced for vacant light heavyweight title with Jon Jones stripped

What a wild turn of events ... As a result of the shocking announcement on FOX Sports Live tonight that Jon Jones was stripped of his Light Heavyweight title and suspended indefinitely, a new UFC 187 read news >>