Mirko Cro Cop FilipovicAlthough the recent news that Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic had been released from his UFC contract at first appeared to be a case of the UFC cutting its losses, the Croatian heavyweight vows that he’ll return to the organization.

Last week the upstart DREAM promotion, which was created by former PRIDE staffers and the MMA division of FEG’s K-1, announced that Filipovic had been released from the remaining three fights of his UFC contract and had signed with them. The UFC reportedly wanted Filipovic to restructure his lucrative deal (he was paid $350,000 for his debut at UFC 67) but ultimately allowed him to walk. Both sides maintain that the split was amicable.

After a successful career in PRIDE, Filipovic signed with the UFC and defeated Eddie Sanchez but then suffered upsets to Gabriel Gonzaga and Cheick Kongo. He stated that his decision to leave before a fourth fight took place in the UFC was partially because he was ready to fight now — but the UFC couldn’t schedule him for a bout anytime before May.

“I have already mentioned that I will take part in three fights for DREAM and that then I will return to the UFC,” Filipovic told the website javno.com. “And to all Internet know-it-alls, I say to put gloves on and to enter the ring or the cage themselves before insulting (any) fighter. I repeat, I am not avoiding the UFC, and will come back by the end of the year.”

Although Filipovic expects to go 3-0 before returning to the UFC, at least one opponent could present a problem: Fedor Emelianenko. Filipovic says he wants to fight the highly ranked Russian before returning to the UFC.

The two fighters met once before — at PRIDE Final Conflict 2005 — and Emelianenlo scored a unanimous-decision victory to snap Filipovic’s seven-fight win streak.

Although there’s been no official announcement about the fight, Emelianenko is signed to a non-exclusive deal with M-1 Global, and the organization at least initially seems open to the idea of allowing him to compete in DREAM — possibly in a co-promoted show.

Regardless, Filipovic says he just wants to get back on the winning track and redeem himself in the UFC.

“For the last two years I’ve been in some kind of mental blockade,” Filipovic said. “I was empty before fights, depressed, I hated myself.

“I’m sorry to have disappointed my English fans who welcomed me like a king. That’s why I want to come out in front of them again. I can’t turn back time, but my time will come again.”

(Touch of gloves: MMAjunkie.com reader “Ace”)

Trevin Giles Looking to Remain Unbeaten Against Josh Clark at RFA 41

Trevin Giles was slated to face recent UFC signee Tom Gigliotti at RFA 41 on July 29, but will now face Josh Clark in the evening’s middleweight main event. read news >>

Joe Rogan Inks One-Year Deal with the UFC, Cuts Out International Events

UFC commentator Joe Rogan has signed a one-year contract to remain with the Ultimate Fighting Championship, but will no longer work international events. read news >>

BJ Penn Expects to Return in November, Reponds to Dana White’s Comments

B.J. Penn expects to return to the UFC in November and responds to Dana White's recent comments about him not living up to his full potential. read news >>

VIDEO: Urijah Faber Talks PEDs, Brock Lesnar, and Chad Mendes

Urijah Faber reflects on his career and also shares his thoughts on Brock Lesnar and Chad Mendes’ recent involvement with PEDs. read news >>

UFC 202: Diaz vs. McGregor 2 Video Promo Released… And it is Ominous

The UFC 202: Diaz vs. McGregor 2 video promo was unleashed during Saturday night's pay-per-view, and it is ominous! read news >>

Desmond Green Aiming for Big Finishes, as He Pushes for a UFC Contract

Heading into Titan FC 40, Desmond Green is looking to finish fights in devastating fashion, in hopes of making the move to the UFC. read news >>

UFC Salt Lake City Video: Yair Rodriguez – Creative Combat

Dynamic featherweight Yair Rodriguez looks to build on his recent success on Aug. 6 when he meets Alex Caceres in the main event of UFC Fight Night 92. read news >>

Chael Sonnen Rails on Association of Boxing Commissions’ Rules Changes (Video)

Chael Sonnen isn't cheering the ABC's recent MMA rules changes, particularly when it comes to the rule about what constitutes a downed fighter. read news >>

Superstars Blast Conor McGregor for Recent Comments About WWE Roster

Conor McGregor kicked a hornet's nest on Friday. Speaking with the media on a conference call to promote UFC 202, the pay-per-view kingpin was asked if he had any interest in making the jump to profe read news >>

Conor McGregor Not Worried, but Plotting, After UFC Sale (Video)

UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor isn't sweating the UFC's recent sale... he's plotting. read news >>