Leonard Garcia Back in Gym, Hopeful for Urijah Faber Fight

• submit to reddit

Leonard Garcia at WEC 32By John Morgan/TAGG Radio Network

Less than 24 hours after Leonard Garcia’s (11-3) successful WEC debut, there is only one thought on his mind: getting back in the gym.

“Right now, I just called out one of the baddest dudes out there, so I got to get to work,” Garcia said.

After an impressive first-round TKO over Shooto and K-1 Hero’s veteran Hiroyuki Takaya (9-5-1), Garcia called out current WEC featherweight champion Urijah “The California Kid” Faber (20-1) in his post-fight interview.

Garcia was a guest on Thursday’s edition of TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), a content partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), and discussed the fight and his future plans.

“Urijah is a superstar, man,” Garcia said. “He just makes things up as he goes. I’m going to have to be ready for whatever he brings. So, it’s time to get back to work.”

Faber will likely next fight former UFC champion Jens Pulver, though a date for the bout hasn’t officially been announced. Regardless, with his own move to the WEC, Garcia said he feels confident after his drop from lightweight to featherweight, despite the win being his first fight at 145 lbs.

“It was a great cut for me,” Garcia said. “I was 149 (lbs.) when I woke up in the morning… It was real natural for me. I feel more athletic and a lot stronger at this weight. I think it was a great move for me.”

Garcia credits his excitement to return to the gym to his new affiliation with Jackson’s Submission Fighting in Albuquerque, N.M.

“Up until last year, I’ve never been to an MMA camp,” Garcia said. “This place has been a huge difference. I’m learning everything — submissions every day, guard passes. I’m still learning all these things. I’m still growing as a fighter.”

Garcia first caught many MMA fans’ eyes in two recent 15-minute wars in the UFC with lightweight contender Roger Huerta (20-1-1) and up-and-comer Cole Miller (13-3). But although those battles are memorable, Garcia said he prefers the type of quick finishes he displayed on Wednesday night.

“Any time you can end it early, that’s nice,” Garcia said. “Don’t get me wrong, I look back at the Roger Huerta fight, and I enjoy watching it. It’s one of those things that I enjoy being able to go to. But we’re fighters; we want to last long in this game. I don’t mind having a war if I have to, but if I can end it early, I definitely will. The sooner the better for me.”

No plans for a Garcia-Faber fight have been rumored yet, but that won’t stop Garcia from hitting the gym as soon as possible to begin the preparation.

“I don’t party or anything,” Garcia said. “I actually was going to go down there (Thursday) and do a little bit of drilling, but coach was telling me, â??You need the weekend off.’ I’ll be back ready to go on Monday.”

To hear the full interview, download Thursday’s edition of TAGG Radio, available for free in the TAGG Radio archives.

This story was produced by TAGG Radio specially for MMAjunkie.com. The show — which is hosted by fighter/broadcaster Frank Trigg, Gorgeous George and Goze — books some of the biggest names in MMA. Download all the former episodes at www.taggradio.com, or tune into TAGG Radio’s live shows Monday-Friday at noon ET/9 a.m. PT.

Could a previously discussed bout between former WEC champion and current UFC bantamweight star Urijah Faber now finally materialize? Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

LAS VEGAS – Former WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber is a massive favorite over Alex Caceres at this weekend’s UFC 175 event, but “The California Kid” said he never concerned himself with how little he stands to gain with a win.Filed under: (...) read news >>

LAS VEGAS - Alex Caceres decided to aim high a couple months back and call out popular Urijah Faber for a fight. Faber was only too happy to oblige, and Saturday night the veteran taught the upstart a few lessons. "The California Kid" rebounded from his loss to then-bantamweight champion Renan Barao in February and defeated Caceres at UFC 175 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center. A rear-naked choke submission give the former WEC featherweight champ the win at 1:09 of the third round. "He's very tou read news >>

Bantamweights Urijah Faber and Alex Caceres took part in a surprisingly competitive fight before the “California Kid” secured the victory in the third round. The preliminary portion of the UFC 175 fight card concluded with an entertaining collision between bantamweights Urijah Faber and Alex Caceres. It was a fight that outraged fans for not being a part of the Pay-Per-View broadcast, but hardly any complained once it was over. The early moments of the contest were quite telling, as Faber strugg read news >>

On Saturday night, former WEC featherweight champion, Urijah Faber, faced off against a veteran of Season 12 of The Ultimate Fighter, Alex Caceres. Faber controlled the majority of the fight with his pressure in the clinch and on the ground. He also scored many takedowns throughout the fight. Then in the third round, he was able to take Caceres' back off one of those takedowns and lock in the rear-naked choke. Let's check out what we learned from the bantamweight fight. What We'll Remember About read news >>

Urijah Faber bounced back from his crushing UFC 169 loss to Renan Barao in a big way Saturday as he defeated Alex Caceres in a UFC 175 bantamweight bout via submission in the third round. MMA Junkie tweeted the result: Faber went right to work in the first round. The Team Alpha Male fighter wasted no time in dragging Caceres to the ground and holding him there for the duration of the round, setting the tone for a one-sided affair. The second round saw Caceres experience a little more success but read news >>

After his second failed title bid against Renan Barao at UFC 169 back in February, Urijah Faber requested a fight with up-and-coming prospect Alex Caceres in the headlining preliminary card bout at last night's (July 5, 2014) UFC 175 event from Las Vegas, Nevada. "The California Kid" got back on track with a decisive stoppage win. Find out how in our fight breakdown below! Last night (Sat., July 5, 2014) Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) bantamweights Urijah Faber and Alex Caceres squared off read news >>

UFC bantamweight staple Urijah Faber got back to his winning ways with a submission victory over Alex Caceres in the main event of the preliminary card Saturday at UFC 175. Faber bounced back from a TKO loss to Renan Barao in a bantamweight title fight at UFC 162 by cinching up a fight-ending rear-naked choke on the 11th-ranked "Bruce Leeroy" early in the third round. "The California Kid" has suffered just three losses in the UFC (each of which were title fights) and has prevailed in five of his read news >>

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) with guest Urijah Faber, who got back in the win column with a submission of Alex Caceres at UFC 175.Filed under: MMAjunkie Radio, News, UFC read news >>