Leonard Garcia Back in Gym, Hopeful for Urijah Faber Fight

• submit to reddit

Leonard Garcia at WEC 32By John Morgan/TAGG Radio Network

Less than 24 hours after Leonard Garcia’s (11-3) successful WEC debut, there is only one thought on his mind: getting back in the gym.

“Right now, I just called out one of the baddest dudes out there, so I got to get to work,” Garcia said.

After an impressive first-round TKO over Shooto and K-1 Hero’s veteran Hiroyuki Takaya (9-5-1), Garcia called out current WEC featherweight champion Urijah “The California Kid” Faber (20-1) in his post-fight interview.

Garcia was a guest on Thursday’s edition of TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), a content partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), and discussed the fight and his future plans.

“Urijah is a superstar, man,” Garcia said. “He just makes things up as he goes. I’m going to have to be ready for whatever he brings. So, it’s time to get back to work.”

Faber will likely next fight former UFC champion Jens Pulver, though a date for the bout hasn’t officially been announced. Regardless, with his own move to the WEC, Garcia said he feels confident after his drop from lightweight to featherweight, despite the win being his first fight at 145 lbs.

“It was a great cut for me,” Garcia said. “I was 149 (lbs.) when I woke up in the morning… It was real natural for me. I feel more athletic and a lot stronger at this weight. I think it was a great move for me.”

Garcia credits his excitement to return to the gym to his new affiliation with Jackson’s Submission Fighting in Albuquerque, N.M.

“Up until last year, I’ve never been to an MMA camp,” Garcia said. “This place has been a huge difference. I’m learning everything — submissions every day, guard passes. I’m still learning all these things. I’m still growing as a fighter.”

Garcia first caught many MMA fans’ eyes in two recent 15-minute wars in the UFC with lightweight contender Roger Huerta (20-1-1) and up-and-comer Cole Miller (13-3). But although those battles are memorable, Garcia said he prefers the type of quick finishes he displayed on Wednesday night.

“Any time you can end it early, that’s nice,” Garcia said. “Don’t get me wrong, I look back at the Roger Huerta fight, and I enjoy watching it. It’s one of those things that I enjoy being able to go to. But we’re fighters; we want to last long in this game. I don’t mind having a war if I have to, but if I can end it early, I definitely will. The sooner the better for me.”

No plans for a Garcia-Faber fight have been rumored yet, but that won’t stop Garcia from hitting the gym as soon as possible to begin the preparation.

“I don’t party or anything,” Garcia said. “I actually was going to go down there (Thursday) and do a little bit of drilling, but coach was telling me, â??You need the weekend off.’ I’ll be back ready to go on Monday.”

To hear the full interview, download Thursday’s edition of TAGG Radio, available for free in the TAGG Radio archives.

This story was produced by TAGG Radio specially for MMAjunkie.com. The show — which is hosted by fighter/broadcaster Frank Trigg, Gorgeous George and Goze — books some of the biggest names in MMA. Download all the former episodes at www.taggradio.com, or tune into TAGG Radio’s live shows Monday-Friday at noon ET/9 a.m. PT.

After losing his sixth straight title bid at UFC 169, Urijah Faber will look to start a new win streak against Alex Caceres at this Saturday night's (July 5, 2014) UFC 175 from Las Vegas. Does "Bruce Leeroy" have any chance of knocking off "The California Kid?" Read our fight preview to find out! Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) bantamweights Urijah Faber and Alex Caceres will square off in the headlining preliminary card bout of UFC 175 this Saturday night (July 5, 2014), airing live on FOX more

Urijah Faber bounced back from his crushing UFC 169 loss to Renan Barao in a big way Saturday as he defeated Alex Caceres in a UFC 175 bantamweight bout via submission in the third round. MMA Junkie tweeted the result: Faber went right to work in the first round. The Team Alpha Male fighter wasted no time in dragging Caceres to the ground and holding him there for the duration of the round, setting the tone for a one-sided affair. The second round saw Caceres experience a little more success but more

After his second failed title bid against Renan Barao at UFC 169 back in February, Urijah Faber requested a fight with up-and-coming prospect Alex Caceres in the headlining preliminary card bout at last night's (July 5, 2014) UFC 175 event from Las Vegas, Nevada. "The California Kid" got back on track with a decisive stoppage win. Find out how in our fight breakdown below! Last night (Sat., July 5, 2014) Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) bantamweights Urijah Faber and Alex Caceres squared off more

On a weekend that UFC icon B.J. Penn walked away from competing in MMA, and Pat Miletich was inducted into the UFC’s Hall of Fame, it was only fitting that Jens Pulver -- the pioneer of the lighter weight classes -- retired as well.Pulver was one of Penn’s biggest rivalries in the then newly created 155-pound division a decade ago. And Miletich was Pulver’s trainer, coach and mentor for all those glory years back in Bettendorf, Iowa, when Pulver was the UFC’s lightweight champion. They are all l more

UFC Number 2 featherweight contender, Frankie Edgar talks about who he'd like to face next and what it would take for a match-up with Urijah Faber. This past Sunday night saw the end of an era when Frankie Edgar put on a crushing display of dominance in his stoppage of UFC legend, B.J. Penn. Edgar finds himself in a unique position in that he was the catalyst that finally made Penn call his long and heralded career to an emotional halt. The win catapulted the New Jersey native into the Number 2 more

Former UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar proved he's still a force to be reckoned with at 145 pounds with his thrashing of BJ Penn at The Ultimate Fighter Season 19 Finale last week, but are there any matchups that would convince him to shed a couple extra pounds? According to an interview with Bloody Elbow, "The Answer" would consider a catchweight bout with ex-WEC featherweight titleholder Urijah Faber, who now competes at bantamweight, if the stars aligned. Edgar said, "135 might be a st more

Could a previously discussed bout between former WEC champion and current UFC bantamweight star Urijah Faber now finally materialize? Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC more

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva has been cleared to return to sparring, and we have video of him working on his boxing at the Team Nogueira gym. more

In this, the fourth and final episode of STATIC, we get a deeper look into the rivalry between Dominick Cruz and Urijah Faber, two guys that can barely be in a room together, let alone a cage. more