Cody East - King of the CageWith his recent first-round TKO win over Strikeforce veteran Lolohea Mahe at KOTC: Regulators, New Mexican heavyweight Cody “Freight Train” East proved himself to be a prospect worth watching.

“I wanted to keep it standing, and if the opportunity was there, take him down and work him on the ground a little bit and tire him out, and as we got back up, turn the heat up and push the pace,” said East. “I worked hard on my boxing for this fight and I think it showed.

“Mahe is a big strong guy, but he doesn’t use a lot of movement. He just kind of walks forward, so I knew I was going to be able to hit him. (To his credit) I couldn’t hit him just one time; I had to use combinations to put him away.”

Following his debut in 2008, East spent nearly two years away from the sport dealing with injury before coming back strong in late 2011, eventually building to his current 6-1 record.

As East told MMAWeekly.com, the biggest change from when he started to now is ring generalship.

“When I first started fighting, I was just a wrestler. Then I broke my leg and I was out for a year, year-and-a-half, but at the beginning of last year I really started committing 100-percent to the sport and I’ve grown a lot,” said East.

“The biggest difference is how to control myself and not burn myself out. Just go in there and not go crazy. I’ve learned to pace myself and it’s a big difference.”

With three wins in a row, East’s plan for 2013 is to get a rematch with the only fighter that’s beaten him and take not one, but two championships as he continues to work his way up the ranks.

“My next fight should be against (KOTC heavyweight champion) Tony Lopez,” said East. “He’s fighting Nick Rossborough for the title (on Feb. 7) and I’m going to fight the winner. I want to get that belt and then move to super-heavyweight and get that belt too.

“Since I fought Lopez last time (in April of 2012), I’ve put on a lot of strength and my boxing and power is so much better that I can’t wait to show it. Hopefully Lopez wins his fight so I can fight him again.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Kyle O’Reilly Embraces the Convergence of Pro Wrestling and MMA

Heading into his match with UFC veteran Matt Riddle, Kyle O'Reilly embraces the convergence of pro wrestling and MMA. read news >>

Exclusive Pics: Conor McGregor filming for Call Of Duty

In recent years Call of Duty, the multi-billion dollar franchise, have moved to align themselves with some of the biggest stars in the world. In 2014 it was multiple-Oscar-winning actor Kevin Spacey read news >>

UFC 203 Free Fight: Watch as Travis Browne Mauls Brendan Schaub

Travis Browne added another first-round knockout to his resume when he defeated Brendan Schaub at UFC 181. read news >>

RFA 43 Results and Highlights: Brian Camozzi Earns Title with First-Round Finish | MMAWeekly.com

In a battle for the RFA welterweight title, Brian Camozzi landed a first-round guillotine choke to finish Nick Barnes and walk away with the belt. read news >>

Urijah Faber, Travis Browne and 5 Pokiest Eye Pokes in Recent UFC History

If UFC 203 felt a little familiar to you, maybe that was on account of all the eye-poking. When Urijah Faber caught Jimmie Rivera, it wasn't his first eye-poke rodeo. It wasn't even his first eye-pok read news >>

Chael Sonnen to Bellator: Latest Contract Details, Comments, Reaction

Veteran MMA fighter Chael Sonnen has left UFC and signed a multiyear deal with Bellator, Damon Martin of Fox Sports reported Thursday. MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani confirmed Martin's report. The 39-y read news >>

Sam Sicilia Aims to Shut Off Doo Ho Choi at UFC Hidalgo | MMAWeekly.com

Coming off a TKO loss to Doo Ho Choi at UFC Fight Night 79 last December, featherweight veteran Sam Sicilia has been waiting for a fight. In the months since the Choi bout, Sicilia has stayed busy in read news >>

Heavyweight Prospects East and Blaydes Collide in Portland

Up and comers Cody East and Curtis Blaydes may have come up short in their Octagon debuts earlier this year, but on October 1 in Portland, Oregon, the two heavyweight prospects get a second chance read news >>

Michael Johnson Drops the Hammer, Twitter Explodes! | MMAWeekly.com

Following his stunning first-round knockout of Dustin Poirier on Saturday night in Hidalgo, Texas, the pros came out to praise Michael Johnson on Twitter. read news >>

UFC's Derek Brunson Proves He's MW's Most Underrated but Still Faces Long Road

Following his first-round knockout of Uriah Hall in the co-main event of Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 94, Derek Brunson proclaimed himself ready for a title shot. After dropping Hall with a left hand h read news >>