Cody East - King of the CageWith his recent first-round TKO win over Strikeforce veteran Lolohea Mahe at KOTC: Regulators, New Mexican heavyweight Cody “Freight Train” East proved himself to be a prospect worth watching.

“I wanted to keep it standing, and if the opportunity was there, take him down and work him on the ground a little bit and tire him out, and as we got back up, turn the heat up and push the pace,” said East. “I worked hard on my boxing for this fight and I think it showed.

“Mahe is a big strong guy, but he doesn’t use a lot of movement. He just kind of walks forward, so I knew I was going to be able to hit him. (To his credit) I couldn’t hit him just one time; I had to use combinations to put him away.”

Following his debut in 2008, East spent nearly two years away from the sport dealing with injury before coming back strong in late 2011, eventually building to his current 6-1 record.

As East told MMAWeekly.com, the biggest change from when he started to now is ring generalship.

“When I first started fighting, I was just a wrestler. Then I broke my leg and I was out for a year, year-and-a-half, but at the beginning of last year I really started committing 100-percent to the sport and I’ve grown a lot,” said East.

“The biggest difference is how to control myself and not burn myself out. Just go in there and not go crazy. I’ve learned to pace myself and it’s a big difference.”

With three wins in a row, East’s plan for 2013 is to get a rematch with the only fighter that’s beaten him and take not one, but two championships as he continues to work his way up the ranks.

“My next fight should be against (KOTC heavyweight champion) Tony Lopez,” said East. “He’s fighting Nick Rossborough for the title (on Feb. 7) and I’m going to fight the winner. I want to get that belt and then move to super-heavyweight and get that belt too.

“Since I fought Lopez last time (in April of 2012), I’ve put on a lot of strength and my boxing and power is so much better that I can’t wait to show it. Hopefully Lopez wins his fight so I can fight him again.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Fedor Emelianenko’s Win Over Fabio Maldonado Overturned, but Russians Refuse Decision

Fedor Emelianenko's recent victory over UFC veteran Fabio Maldonado has been changed to a unanimous draw. read news >>

Two Men Arrested, Charged in the Death of UFC Veteran Ryan Jimmo

Two men involved in the hit and run death of UFC veteran Ryan Jimmo have been arrested and charged. read news >>

Andy Nguyen To Defend Her KOTC Title After Legacy FC 57 Fight Against Bi Nguyen

Nguyen returns to Legacy FC this Friday in Shreveport, Louisiana, to take on a fighter she’s very familiar with in the debuting Bi Nguyen in a main card bout. read news >>

Legacy FC 57 Results and Highlights: Kevin Aguilar Captures Featherweight Title

Four first-round finishes and a five-round championship war highlight another thrilling night of fights at Legacy FC 57. Check out the results and highlights. read news >>

Chael Sonnen Weighs In on BJ Penn’s IV Ban Suspension

Chael Sonnen weighs in on UFC Hall of Famer BJ Penn's recent suspension for violating the IV ban portion of the UFC Anti-Doping Policy. read news >>

UFC Veteran Mike Pyle Isn't Ready to Go Fishing Just Yet. Wait, Yes He Is

Gone fishin'. Somewhere on the list of retiree cliches, somewhere above tapioca but just below shuffleboard, lies fishing. At this point, Mike Pyle has probably heard them all. With his 41st birthday read news >>

Sage Northcutt vs. Enrique Marin Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 200

Lightweight Sage "Super" Northcutt (8-1) rebounded from his recent loss to Bryan Barberena by eking out a decision win over Enrique "Wasabi" Marin (8-4) at UFC 200 on Saturday. The three-round, 15-mi read news >>

UFC 200 starts with three quick TKO's

UFC 200 got off to a quick start as Jim Miller, Gegard Mousasi and Joe Lauzon all recorded first round TKO's to start an historic night. read news >>

Cain Velasquez: ‘I Want the Winner of Stipe Miocic and Alistair Overeem (Video)

Following his first-round finish of Travis Browne at UFC 200, former heavyweight titleholder Cain Velasquez wants to fight the winner of champion Stipe Moicic and Alistair Overeem. read news >>

WSOF Signs UFC and Bellator Veteran Paul Bradley

World Series of Fighting announced on Thursday that it has signed UFC and Bellator veteran Paul Bradley. read news >>