After making quick work of Przemyslaw Mysiala in the opening round of Bellator’s Season 8 light heavyweight tournament, Muhammed Lawal is set to take on Emanuel Newton next on Feb. 21.

Ahead of the matchup, “King Mo” joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss his win over Mysiala, another staph infection scare and more.

On whether he experienced any ring rust after not fighting for a year: “It’s hard to have ring rust when you’re training with guys that are better than you. I train with Roy Nelson. He’s good on the ground. I train with Daniel Cormier. He’s good everywhere -- standing and wrestling. I train with a lot of good people. I’ve trained with Luke Rockhold, who’s good in a lot of places too. Boxing at Jeff Mayweather’s gym, I've trained with high-level boxers. Kickboxing, Kit Cope. These guys are better than me. I went to Mike’s Gym and trained with kickboxers. I’m training with guys that are specialized in certain areas. The ring rust thing, I don’t even consider it a factor. It’s only a factor if you’re not doing anything. With me, I’m always doing something.”

On stopping Mysiala with strikes: “I think he was scared after the first initial flurry because he really didn’t hit me. He was swinging, and I made him miss and I hit him with a left hook. I did a few things in the ring that I’m not going to discuss, but I’ll tell you guys afterwards that I did that only boxers do. I was hitting him with that and I was landing it, and I think that after he started breathing a little bit and I hit him with a few good jabs, he was kind of like, ‘Oh my goodness. I’m overmatched.’”

On having another staph infection scare before the fight: “After I was on the TV show with Batista, we had a staph infection scare. I wasn’t sure -- I was like what the hell? They drained my knee. They thought it was staph infection. They drained it twice just to check and there was staph in the first sample, and in the second sample there wasn’t any staph. Then we flushed my knee out, and I had like two and a half weeks, three weeks to get all the swelling out before I went to wrestling school. And then I went to wrestling school and I did rehab like crazy there and then I was back to normal.”

On Newton: “I’ve trained with him before. He’s a tough dude. He’s been around the game for a while. … He has taekwondo-style kicks, real unorthodox, but he’s a strong dude. Good body clinch.”

On being ready to fight again in a few weeks: “After fights I never took much time off anyway. What I usually do is I travel somewhere else and train somewhere else after a fight. It makes no difference. For this one I can’t do that, so I’m going to go back to the gym, hit the double-end bag, hit the heavy bag, do mitts with Jeff and then I’m going to spar on Wednesday. Tuesday, I’m going to do some grappling. I’m in shape to go 15, 25 minutes already, but the thing is, I’m in shape to go 15, 25 minutes at a pace. I can’t just explode unless I want to, but I think in the finals I’ll be able to because I’ll be built up to that.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:45:28).

Bandits, Bullets and Blood Feuds: The Making of Bellator Champ Patricio Pitbull

The day after the bandits came, Bellator featherweight champion Patricio "Pitbull" Freire (24-2) became a man. He was five years old. "Someone spread a rumor my father had a collection of guns," his read news >>

Brian Rogers already raising hand to get on Shamrock-Gracie 3 card at Bellator 149

• a day ago

Bellator veteran Brian Rogers is making his promotional debut as a light heavyweight on Dec. 4 at Bellator 147. The way he sees it, a bout with iron-jawed Virgil Zwicker is an audition for the big sh read news >>

Former Bellator Champ Michael Chandler Will Do Whatever it Takes to Get Belt Back

Former Bellator champ Michael Chandler has finally turned things around, and he doesn't plan on stopping before he gets the belt back. read news >>

Marcin Held scoffs at Will Brooks' 'one-dimensional' label ahead of Bellator title fight

Marcin Held has no interest in engaging in a war of words with Will Brooks ahead of their Bellator lightweight championship showdown at Bellator 145 on Nov. 6. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 146 gets Houston Alexander vs. Guilherme Viana and five more prelims

The lineup for Bellator 146 is complete with the addition of one main card bout and five preliminary contests.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 145's Justin Lawrence: It 'took a couple days' to get over Pat Curran injury

Justin Lawrence admits he was devastated when he lost out on the biggest fight of his career at Bellator 145. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Kimbo Slice headlines Feb. 19 Bellator event, Lashley or Thompson potential opponent

Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson is expected to return to the cage Feb. 19 in a Bellator headliner in Houston against an opponent to be determined.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Lineup set for Bellator 146 with Derek Campos vs. Brandon Girtz rematch, six prelims

The lineup is set for Bellator’s return to Oklahoma next month with the addition of a lightweight rematch, plus six prelims. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Will Brooks supports Dustin Poirier not fighting at UFC Dublin: I'd do the same thing

Bellator champion Will Brooks is never afraid to speak his mind. And when it comes to Joseph Duffy’s last-minute withdrawal from UFC Fight Night 76 against Brooks’ friend and teammate Dustin Poirier, read news >>

Kimbo Slice to Headline Bellator Event in Houston: Details and Reaction

Kimbo Slice will headline the main event in Bellator MMA’s next tentpole Feb. 19 at Toyota Center in Houston, according to Jeremy Botter of the Houston Chronicle. Slice’s opponent hasn’t been finaliz read news >>