Is MMA on the Ropes in California?


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

The California State Athletic Commission has been undergoing a massive amount of change over the past couple of years, and is currently in a state of disarray. From massive staff changeover to accusations ranging from incompetence to impropriety to, most recently, reports that the commission had been negligent in the basic responsibility of paying its bills to keep the Association of Boxing Commissions database up to date.

The ABC database is an official record of fight results and suspensions that a commission utilizes to make sure that the fights it sanctions do not include participants that are on suspension. This is especially important in regards to athletes that are under some sort of medical suspension and should not be fighting for reasons regarding their health and safety.

The California commission is currently so far in arrears for payment for the database upkeep for events held in its state that Mixed Martial Arts LLC, the company that ABC has contracted to maintain the database, threatened to cut off California’s access to the database. This would severely curtail the commission’s ability to determine if a fighter were under suspension, leaving the commission unable to approve bouts.

Each athletic commission that is contracted, via the ABC, to pay for database upkeep is required to either pay the fees outright or to direct the promotions under its jurisdiction to pay Mixed Martial Arts LLC directly.

The California commission has evidently neglected in doing either for several years, and is now thousands of dollars in arrears. CSAC access to the database was due to expire Nov. 1 and updating of events under its jurisdiction was to end on Nov. 11, according to a recent letter from Kirik Jenness, the president of Mixed Martial Arts, LLC, to the California commission.

Jenness and Tim Lueckenhoff, president of the ABC, both told MMAWeekly.com that they have since communicated with administrators at the California Department of Consumer Affairs, who were previously unaware of the issue. Both men indicated that DCA administrators seemed willing to rectify the situation and are due to meet with Jenness and Lueckenhoff on a conference call this week.

In the meantime, Jenness told MMAWeekly.com that he will not cut off CSAC’s access to the database on Nov. 1 as initially planned. He instead is hopeful that they can come to a resolution with DCA administrators.

Some California promoters are currently caught in the crossfire in this situation. The CSAC’s failure to either pay Mixed Martial Arts, LLC or inform some promoters that the payment for database upkeep is their responsibility has left the promoters befuddled when Mixed Martial Arts, LLC has contacted them for payment.

Such matters will surely be part of the discussions between DCA administrators, Jenness and Lueckenhoff when trying to work out a resolution.

In better times, a resolution might seem simple, but given the fact that CSAC is currently mired in controversy and the State of California is drowning in debt, a quick resolution to the matter is anything but a given.

If California is unable to work things out with Mixed Martial Arts LLC and the Association of Boxing Commissions, it could very well become a reality that the state would be unable to suitably regulate mixed martial arts events.

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all of your mixed martial arts news and updates.

view original article >>

Related News

  • 20 days ago
  • 45 views

The Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) is moving forward with its actions against retired UFC fighter Chael Sonnen. According to a report from MMAJunkie.com, the UFC's home governing body is waiting to find out if the former light heavyweight and middleweight contender will appeal its ruling. The NSAC sent Sonnen its complaint on June 27. Per the commission's regulations, Sonnen has up to 20 days (which, in this case, would be up until July 17) to respond. From there, he would either accept more

  • 18 days ago
  • 31 views

Chael Sonnen has officially responded to the Nevada Athletic Commission's amended complaint against him. According to the complaint, which was first obtained by MMAJunkie.com, Sonnen faces a fine of up to $250,000, the suspension of his license, the requirement to provide a clean drug test should he apply for a license again and expenses related to the complaint after recently failing a second drug test for four banned substances. On Tuesday, Sonnen's lawyer Jeff Meyer submitted his client's for more

  • 18 days ago
  • 45 views

Chael Sonnen has made his official response to the Nevada State Athletic Commission's complaint regarding his two failed drug tests in June and acknowledges taking all five of the banned substances. Sonnen made the response through his lawyer, Jeff Meyer. The statement was obtained Wednesday by MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani. According to his lawyer, "Mr. Sonnen does not dispute any of the factual allegations contained in the First Amended Complaint. Mr. Sonnen accepts responsibility for his ac more

  • 15 days ago
  • 37 views

Elvis Moyo, the World Boxing Federation All Africa heavyweight champion will no longer be allowed to box in South Africa after the country’s athletic commission discovered he also competes in mixed martial arts. more

  • 15 days ago
  • 17 views

Elvis Moyo, the World Boxing Federation All Africa heavyweight champion will no longer be allowed to box in South Africa after the country’s athletic commission discovered he also competes in mixed martial arts. more

  • 14 days ago
  • 29 views

South Africa’s Boxing Commission informed Sherdog.com that professional boxers are not allowed to compete in Mixed Martial Arts due to concerns about the safety of the sport. South African boxers curious about trying their luck in MMA will have a hard time transitioning to the sport in their home country. It appears South Africa's Boxing Commission has explicitly forbid their licensed boxers from competing in Mixed Martial Arts tournaments due to concerns regarding the safety of the sport. The n more

  • 4 days ago
  • 20 views

The Nevada State Athletic Commission granted UFC middleweight competitor Vitor Belfort licensure to compete in the State of Nevada. He is expected to face Chris Weidman on December 6 in Las Vegas. Vitor Belfort is once again licensed to compete in the State of Nevada. The Nevada State Athletic Commission unanimously granted the former UFC light-heavyweight champion licensure to fight in Nevada if the Brazilian agreed to three non-negotiable conditions. Firstly, the fight would not take place bef more

  • 4 days ago
  • 12 views

After appearing before the Nevada State Athletic Commission seeking re-licensure to compete following a failed drug test, Vitor Belfort has been approved for a conditional license to return to mixed martial arts. The hearing was aired live on UFC Fight Pass. The conditions of his license were threefold: He will submit to random enhanced drug testing at the NSAC's discretion, he will only fight in Nevada upon his return and his return will not come before December of 2014. Belfort has been one of more

  • 4 days ago
  • 29 views

The Nevada Athletic Commission unanimously passed a motion on Wednesday to allow Floyd Mayweather Jr. to become a boxing promoter in the state. more