Dan Henderson wants a crack at Jon Jones. | Photo: Sherdog.com

After defeating Mauricio “Shogun” Rua in a thriller on Nov. 19 at UFC 139, Dan Henderson believes he deserves a shot at the UFC light heavyweight title.

Champion Jon Jones defends the belt Dec. 10 against Lyoto Machida. Henderson wants to fight the winner, and he thinks it will be Jones.

“I think obviously Jon Jones is probably the favorite in that one,” Henderson told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “With his style and his wrestling ability, he should be able to control the fight well. Lyoto likes to stay on the outside, and I think that’s probably not the opponent to do it against.”

Still, Henderson does give Machida a chance in the fight.

“Lyoto’s real quick and he’s a little bit goofy,” Henderson said. “He’s got a nice straight left hand. He definitely could catch Jon Jones. I don’t think Jon Jones’ chin has really been tested much because he is hard to hit. Anything can happen in a fight, but I definitely see Jones picking him apart from the outside and probably taking him down and beating him up.”

Henderson likes his own chances against Jones much better. He’s complimentary of Jones’ talent, but he also questions his experience.

“I think I’m a tough fight for anybody,” Henderson said. “If you’re in a fight with me, you’re definitely going to know you’re in a fight. I don’t know if really Jon Jones has felt that too much in his career. I definitely would test that out. I think style-wise I match up real well with him.”

Of course, there’s no guarantee that Henderson will get the next shot. Rashad Evans is also in the mix. He was rumored to be fighting Jones on Dec. 10 before it was revealed that his hand was injured and Machida would get the shot instead.

“It’s unfortunate that Rashad got hurt, but you know, it’s happened twice now,” Henderson said. “He’s had people step in. … All I know is, if I have to, I’ll pull out the age card and just say I should have seniority here. I’m getting older. Rashad’s got a little more time than I do.”

Although Henderson might joke about his age, the 41-year-old is serious about winning a UFC belt before he retires. He figures he has two or three years left to fight and he wants to go out a champion.

“That’s pretty much one of the last things I’ve got on my list for my career,” Henderson said, “to get a UFC title and keep it for a little while.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 58:10).

Jon Jones Takes Plea Deal in Drag Racing Case

Jon Jones, already on probation for a felony hit-and-run case, accepted a plea deal in Albuquerque Metropolitan Court on Thursday. read news >>

Jon Jones Teases Quick Return from USADA Suspension in Instagram Post

Jon Jones has had a rough 12 months, but the former UFC light heavyweight champ feels like things are starting to turn around. That seems to be the case, at least, as Jones indicated he may be back i read news >>

Jon Jones Says He’ll Be Back in the Octagon ‘Really Soon’

UFC interim light heavyweight champion Jon Jones sounds as if he's come into some good news regarding his UFC Anti-Doping Policy case. read news >>

Dana White Says it Looks Like Jon Jones Took ‘Something Else,’ Could Be Good News

Dana White on Tuesday appeared to back Jon Jones' recent statement that he could be back really soon. read news >>

Anthony Johnson Video: Stop Talking About Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones, I Have to Fight Glover

Anthony "Rumble" Johnson has a big fight in front of him in the form of Glover Teixeira at UFC 202 on Aug. 20. If it's all the same with you, he'd really like it if everyone would quit asking him abo read news >>

Glover Teixeira Focused on Anthony Johnson, Doesn’t Really Care About Jon Jones (UFC 202 Video)

Glover Teixeira could be lined up for a title fight is he gets past Anthony "Rumble" Johnson at UFC 202 on Aug. 20, but all everyone wants to talk about is Jon Jones. read news >>

Anthony Johnson vs. Glover Teixeira Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 202

In a light heavyweight landscape without Jon Jones, Anthony "Rumble" Johnson is the clear-cut No. 1 contender to Daniel Cormier's throne. That's the statement Johnson went about proving in the co-mai read news >>

Will There Be a Third Fight Between Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz?

Conor McGregor evened the score against Nate Diaz on Saturday, defeating Diaz by majority decision in the UFC 202 main event at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. read news >>

Daniel Cormier Calls out Rumble Johnson After UFC 202 Win, Dismisses Jon Jones

Following Anthony Johnson's 13-second knockout of Glover Teixeira at UFC 202, Johnson immediately called for a rematch against champion Daniel Cormier, who was in the audience. Cormier took to Twitte read news >>

Dana White Wants to Make Jon Jones vs. Anthony Johnson for a Shot at Daniel Cormier

Anthony Johnson and Daniel Cormier are both ready to rematch each other, but UFC president Dana White may have other plans, which include Jon Jones. read news >>