Frankie Edgar didn’t get the result he wanted Saturday at UFC 150, dropping a controversial split decision to lightweight champion Benson Henderson.

The loss added fuel to the ongoing debate over whether Edgar should drop a weight class, and coming off the defeat the former champion is definitely considering his options.

“I’m going to give myself a week to kind of just let all the emotions go away, just relax and enjoy my family and then sit down probably Sunday with my team and everyone else and just start bouncing some ideas around,” Edgar told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “It’s Time” show with Bruce Buffer. “Forty-five is a possibility. Fifty-five, I’ve been so successful and I would love to get a shot at the 155-pound belt again. Who knows? The 145-pound belt is definitely a prestigious belt to go after, especially with Jose Aldo at the helm of it all, but I’ve just got to really sit down and just discuss it with my team and my family and just make the right decision for myself.”

Edgar is not a big lightweight, but he’s beaten B.J. Penn twice in the division, knocked out Gray Maynard to conclude their trilogy and may have deserved the nod over Henderson on Saturday.

“I did think I won,” Edgar said. “I thought I did enough. Sometimes enough is not enough. You’ve just got to do a little more, and apparently I guess that’s what the judges were seeing. I’m not really dwelling on it. There’s nothing I can do about it. I could be upset and complain about it and this and that, but I’ve got to move on and get back in the win column.”

A move to 145 pounds would not be difficult, Edgar said.

“I don’t think I’d have to tweak much,” he explained. “I probably would clean my diet maybe some. I like to eat fairly clean and I’m not a huge eater, so I wouldn’t have to change too, too much, but I’ll be honest: I think a lot of 145-pounders are probably bigger than me down at that weight class anyway. They probably walk around heavier than I do. I don’t think making the weight would be too much of a problem.”

Certainly he could encounter some new competition at 145 pounds. At 155, he’s had a knack for fighting rematches. He fought Penn twice, Henderson twice and Maynard three times. Henderson is the only one he didn’t beat.

“It’s true,” Edgar said. “It’s bittersweet, though, because I would really like to have a win over [Henderson]. I’ve been hearing a lot of people telling me, ‘You won the fight. You didn’t win the fight,’ whatever. But down the line, no one’s going to remember it was controversial. No one’s going to remember anything. They’re just going to see a loss and have Ben Henderson’s name there. That’s a little bittersweet. You would love another chance at it, but down the line, you never know what could happen.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 17:43).

Why UFC vet Alan Belcher decided to officially call it quits

Middleweight Alan Belcher said he didn’t retire for the usual reasons. It was his business aspirations and the reality of a career in fighting that prompted a realization that continuing in the UFC w read news >>

Claudia Gadelha wants Joanna Jedrzejczyk rematch regardless of UFC 193 title fight result

SAO PAULO – Claudia Gadelha is eager to avenge her only career loss to UFC champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk, and she wants the opportunity regardless of whether the strawweight title is on the line.Filed und read news >>

Behold (with dread): Rumblr – the Tinder of street fighting

Imagine if members of Fight Club didn’t have to talk about Fight Club because they had smartphones. Imagine if Tinder users swiped right not to hook up, but throw punches.Filed under: News read news >>

Gleison Tibau on controversial UFC Fight Night 77 stoppage: Abel Trujillo didn't tap out

SAO PAULO – Gleison Tibau concedes that Abel Trujillo never tapped out in their lightweight bout at UFC Fight Night 77, but he said he’s still the rightful victor.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77 results: Viscardi Andrade returns from long layoff to top Gasan Umalatov

SAO PAULO – Viscardi Andrade and Gasan Umalatov didn’t make great music over three rounds, but Andrade’s investment in the outcome seemed greater, which paid off on the scorecards.Filed under: News, read news >>

RFA 32 results: Leandro Higo pummels Melvin Blumer on stoppage-heavy card

Although Patricio Freire didn’t fare so well Friday night, his student Leandro Higo wowed the crowd in RFA 32’s headliner, stopping Melvin Blumer in the first round.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>

Chad Mendes Thinks Frankie Edgar is Being ‘Screwed,’ but Also Sees Opportunity

Chad Mendes believes Frankie Edgar has been getting the short end of the stick in the 145-pound divison for some time, but also sees their bout as a huge opportunity. read news >>

WSOF's Jake Shields upset NSAC ignored Rousimar Palhares' eye-gouges

After his controversial WSOF 22 loss to Rousimar Palhares, Jake Shields’ biggest concern was not that Palhares held on to his fight-winning kimura for too long, but rather that he felt he was repeate read news >>

After talk of settlement, UFC's Pedro Munhoz gets one-year suspension, no-contest

UFC bantamweight Pedro Munhoz didn’t exactly get off easy, but his fighting career is no longer encumbered by a suspension.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

New book 'Beast' details Daniel Straus' title struggles, Jeff Monson's detached retina

Doug Merlino didn’t know much about MMA the first time he saw the sport. But after spending two years embedded with American Top Team, he penned one of the most in-depth accounts to date of life in t read news >>