Frankie Edgar: Move to 145 Pounds Is a Possibility

• submit to reddit

Frankie Edgar didn’t get the result he wanted Saturday at UFC 150, dropping a controversial split decision to lightweight champion Benson Henderson.

The loss added fuel to the ongoing debate over whether Edgar should drop a weight class, and coming off the defeat the former champion is definitely considering his options.

“I’m going to give myself a week to kind of just let all the emotions go away, just relax and enjoy my family and then sit down probably Sunday with my team and everyone else and just start bouncing some ideas around,” Edgar told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “It’s Time” show with Bruce Buffer. “Forty-five is a possibility. Fifty-five, I’ve been so successful and I would love to get a shot at the 155-pound belt again. Who knows? The 145-pound belt is definitely a prestigious belt to go after, especially with Jose Aldo at the helm of it all, but I’ve just got to really sit down and just discuss it with my team and my family and just make the right decision for myself.”

Edgar is not a big lightweight, but he’s beaten B.J. Penn twice in the division, knocked out Gray Maynard to conclude their trilogy and may have deserved the nod over Henderson on Saturday.

“I did think I won,” Edgar said. “I thought I did enough. Sometimes enough is not enough. You’ve just got to do a little more, and apparently I guess that’s what the judges were seeing. I’m not really dwelling on it. There’s nothing I can do about it. I could be upset and complain about it and this and that, but I’ve got to move on and get back in the win column.”

A move to 145 pounds would not be difficult, Edgar said.

“I don’t think I’d have to tweak much,” he explained. “I probably would clean my diet maybe some. I like to eat fairly clean and I’m not a huge eater, so I wouldn’t have to change too, too much, but I’ll be honest: I think a lot of 145-pounders are probably bigger than me down at that weight class anyway. They probably walk around heavier than I do. I don’t think making the weight would be too much of a problem.”

Certainly he could encounter some new competition at 145 pounds. At 155, he’s had a knack for fighting rematches. He fought Penn twice, Henderson twice and Maynard three times. Henderson is the only one he didn’t beat.

“It’s true,” Edgar said. “It’s bittersweet, though, because I would really like to have a win over [Henderson]. I’ve been hearing a lot of people telling me, ‘You won the fight. You didn’t win the fight,’ whatever. But down the line, no one’s going to remember it was controversial. No one’s going to remember anything. They’re just going to see a loss and have Ben Henderson’s name there. That’s a little bittersweet. You would love another chance at it, but down the line, you never know what could happen.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 17:43).

The rivalry between Frankie Edgar and BJ Penn is a unique one in the realm of combat sports because the two have always kept their fire confined to the Octagon. more

If you're a "Prodigy" fan, now's the time to haul ass over to the local betting window. Well, there's two ways of looking at this. Either Frankie Edgar is a god among featherweights, or BJ Penn is a washed-up tomato can. I'm not sure how else to explain the recent betting line from 5 Dimes (via Best Fight Odds), which has "The Answer" at -1050 for their Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 19 Finale showdown, which takes place next Sunday (July 6, 2014) inside Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada ( more

Dana White said that if BJ Penn loses this third bout against Frankie Edgar, he will be pushing the former champion to retire. B.J. Penn has won UFC titles in two divisions, and as the sure-fire hall-of-fame fighter prepares to drop down on yet another weight class, Dana White has said that this may just be the last time he does compete for the promotion. According to the UFC president, if he doesn't win this third bout against Frankie Edgar, he will try to make 'the Prodigy' hang up the gloves. more

If B.J. Penn loses his TUF 19 Finale fight to Frankie Edgar on Sunday, UFC President Dana White will suggest to the fighter that he should retire from mixed martial arts. more

There is no doubt in anyone’s mind that B.J. Penn is a future UFC Hall of Famer. His mixed martial arts career began inside the Octagon at UFC 31, and over the course of his career he elevated the lightweight division to its marquee status and is one of only two men to hold UFC titles in two weight classes. A win over Frankie Edgar at the TUF 19 Finale on Sunday could add a new chapter to the legacy of “The Prodigy.” Since losing the UFC lightweight title to Frankie Edgar in April of 2010, and t more

On Saturday, Chris Weidman will look to defend his middleweight title against Lyoto Machida, and Ronda Rousey will look to defend her title against Alexis Davis. The next day, Frankie Edgar and BJ Penn will meet for the third time, following their coaching gig on The Ultimate Fighter. Penn and Edgar first fought at UFC 112, where Edgar won Penn's lightweight title by unanimous decision. Penn was granted an immediate rematch, and Edgar won a second unanimous decision, and he was more dominant tha more

Frankie Edgar had been training in mixed martial arts for only a few weeks when his coach floated the idea of throwing him into a no-rules fight of questionable legality one sweltering summer day in 2005.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC more

Former UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar expects a different BJ Penn but the same result in their third fight at The Ultimate Fighter 19 Finale on July 5. more

Fans and media members in "Sin City" today (Thurs., July 3, 2014) got a sneak peek at this weekend's fireworks when the world's largest mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion brought its top fighters together for the benefit of those with flash photography. Video highlights, too! Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight titleholder Chris Weidman came face-to-face with UFC 175 opponent Lyoto Machida today at the UFC 175 "Media Day," designed to promote their five-round championship clash on more