Frankie Edgar didn’t get the result he wanted Saturday at UFC 150, dropping a controversial split decision to lightweight champion Benson Henderson.

The loss added fuel to the ongoing debate over whether Edgar should drop a weight class, and coming off the defeat the former champion is definitely considering his options.

“I’m going to give myself a week to kind of just let all the emotions go away, just relax and enjoy my family and then sit down probably Sunday with my team and everyone else and just start bouncing some ideas around,” Edgar told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “It’s Time” show with Bruce Buffer. “Forty-five is a possibility. Fifty-five, I’ve been so successful and I would love to get a shot at the 155-pound belt again. Who knows? The 145-pound belt is definitely a prestigious belt to go after, especially with Jose Aldo at the helm of it all, but I’ve just got to really sit down and just discuss it with my team and my family and just make the right decision for myself.”

Edgar is not a big lightweight, but he’s beaten B.J. Penn twice in the division, knocked out Gray Maynard to conclude their trilogy and may have deserved the nod over Henderson on Saturday.

“I did think I won,” Edgar said. “I thought I did enough. Sometimes enough is not enough. You’ve just got to do a little more, and apparently I guess that’s what the judges were seeing. I’m not really dwelling on it. There’s nothing I can do about it. I could be upset and complain about it and this and that, but I’ve got to move on and get back in the win column.”

A move to 145 pounds would not be difficult, Edgar said.

“I don’t think I’d have to tweak much,” he explained. “I probably would clean my diet maybe some. I like to eat fairly clean and I’m not a huge eater, so I wouldn’t have to change too, too much, but I’ll be honest: I think a lot of 145-pounders are probably bigger than me down at that weight class anyway. They probably walk around heavier than I do. I don’t think making the weight would be too much of a problem.”

Certainly he could encounter some new competition at 145 pounds. At 155, he’s had a knack for fighting rematches. He fought Penn twice, Henderson twice and Maynard three times. Henderson is the only one he didn’t beat.

“It’s true,” Edgar said. “It’s bittersweet, though, because I would really like to have a win over [Henderson]. I’ve been hearing a lot of people telling me, ‘You won the fight. You didn’t win the fight,’ whatever. But down the line, no one’s going to remember it was controversial. No one’s going to remember anything. They’re just going to see a loss and have Ben Henderson’s name there. That’s a little bittersweet. You would love another chance at it, but down the line, you never know what could happen.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 17:43).

UFC 200 Video: Jose Aldo – Focused and Determined

Before he meets Frankie Edgar at UFC 200 for the interim featherweight title, hear from the very focused and determined former champion Jose Aldo. read news >>

Undersized, Underrated, Underappreciated, Frankie Edgar May Fight & Win Forever

Mark Henry tells a story about Frankie Edgar that explains the ferocity of his competitiveness. Often in the week before fights, Henry—Edgar’s boxing coach—hosts a cookout at his house. This was one read news >>

Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar 2: The Complete Breakdown

In the extended absence of Conor McGregor, who seems more interested in chasing Nate Diaz and other fights at 155 or 170 pounds than defending his featherweight crown, Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar wil read news >>

VIDEO: Rafael dos Anjos Would Welcome a Conor McGregor Move to Lightweight

Although their scheduled bout at 155 pounds never came to fruition, champion Rafael dos Anjos says he would still welcome Conor McGregor to lightweight. read news >>

Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar 2: The Complete Breakdown

Frankie Edgar's Relentless Will to Succeed Drives Him in the Octagon and in Life

UFC 200 Odds Preview: Aldo vs. Edgar Betting Lines, Analysis, Trends

The last time Frankie Edgar (20-4-1) squared off with Jose Aldo (25-2), they fought for the featherweight championship more than three years ago at UFC 156 in Las Vegas. They will meet again on Satur read news >>

Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar: This Fight is for the Next Champion (UFC 200 Video)

Although Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar battle for the interim featherweight belt at UFC 200, they believe the company is coming to a crossroads with Conor McGregor. read news >>

UFC 200 Video: It’s Time Preview — Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar

Former champions Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar set their sights on the interim featherweight belt. Go inside their gyms, lives and minds as the clock ticks down. read news >>

Cat Zingano Could Have Quit Fighting, but Didn’t Want to be a Product of Circumstance (UFC 200 Video)

The past couple of years have been rough for UFC bantamweight contender Cat Zingano, but as a proud mom, she refused to give up. read news >>