Frankie Edgar didn’t get the result he wanted Saturday at UFC 150, dropping a controversial split decision to lightweight champion Benson Henderson.

The loss added fuel to the ongoing debate over whether Edgar should drop a weight class, and coming off the defeat the former champion is definitely considering his options.

“I’m going to give myself a week to kind of just let all the emotions go away, just relax and enjoy my family and then sit down probably Sunday with my team and everyone else and just start bouncing some ideas around,” Edgar told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “It’s Time” show with Bruce Buffer. “Forty-five is a possibility. Fifty-five, I’ve been so successful and I would love to get a shot at the 155-pound belt again. Who knows? The 145-pound belt is definitely a prestigious belt to go after, especially with Jose Aldo at the helm of it all, but I’ve just got to really sit down and just discuss it with my team and my family and just make the right decision for myself.”

Edgar is not a big lightweight, but he’s beaten B.J. Penn twice in the division, knocked out Gray Maynard to conclude their trilogy and may have deserved the nod over Henderson on Saturday.

“I did think I won,” Edgar said. “I thought I did enough. Sometimes enough is not enough. You’ve just got to do a little more, and apparently I guess that’s what the judges were seeing. I’m not really dwelling on it. There’s nothing I can do about it. I could be upset and complain about it and this and that, but I’ve got to move on and get back in the win column.”

A move to 145 pounds would not be difficult, Edgar said.

“I don’t think I’d have to tweak much,” he explained. “I probably would clean my diet maybe some. I like to eat fairly clean and I’m not a huge eater, so I wouldn’t have to change too, too much, but I’ll be honest: I think a lot of 145-pounders are probably bigger than me down at that weight class anyway. They probably walk around heavier than I do. I don’t think making the weight would be too much of a problem.”

Certainly he could encounter some new competition at 145 pounds. At 155, he’s had a knack for fighting rematches. He fought Penn twice, Henderson twice and Maynard three times. Henderson is the only one he didn’t beat.

“It’s true,” Edgar said. “It’s bittersweet, though, because I would really like to have a win over [Henderson]. I’ve been hearing a lot of people telling me, ‘You won the fight. You didn’t win the fight,’ whatever. But down the line, no one’s going to remember it was controversial. No one’s going to remember anything. They’re just going to see a loss and have Ben Henderson’s name there. That’s a little bittersweet. You would love another chance at it, but down the line, you never know what could happen.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 17:43).

The Question: Is Conor McGregor Ducking Frankie Edgar?

It's hard to imagine a UFC without Conor McGregor. In just three short years, the Irishman has rewritten all the rules, backing up his never-ending trash talk with performances we won't soon forget. read news >>

Cyborg Justino Closes Door on Making 135 Pounds, Keeps Door Open for Superfight

Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino, the Invicta featherweight world champion and one of the best fighters in women's MMA, has said she won't be able to cut down to the 135-pound limit for the women's bantamw read news >>

Invicta FC champ 'Cyborg' Justino up to 163.8 pounds for tonight's headliner

A little more than a half day after weighing in at 144.6 pounds for tonight’s Invicta FC 15 event, featherweight champion Cristiane Justino has rehydrated and gained 19.2 pounds.Filed under: News, Vi read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 results: Dominick Cruz regains title with split over T.J. Dillashaw

BOSTON – Dominick Cruz didn’t lose his bantamweight title in the cage and T.J. Dillashaw needed to beat him to prove that he was the true champion. Unfortunately for Dillashaw, Cruz returned in his o read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81: Eddie Alvarez vs. Anthony Pettis video highlights

The decision may have been controversial, but Eddie Alvarez will happily take his UFC Fight Night 81 win over Anthony Pettis.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dominick Cruz's win, like his comeback, a testament to resilience and resolve

Dominick Cruz didn’t dominate T.J. Dillashaw to reclaim the UFC bantamweight title that he never technically lost, but after all he’s been through, maybe that’s the most fitting way for Cruz to burst read news >>

After UFC 194 Loss, Jose Aldo Thought He’d Be Fighting Frankie Edgar for the Belt

Following his UFC 194 loss to Conor McGregor, Jose Aldo was told that he'd be facing Frankie Edgar for the 145-pound title in his next outing. read news >>

Conor McGregor Says Frankie Edgar is ‘Desperate and Begging’ for Title Fight

UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor says top 145-pound contender Frankie Edgar is desperately begging for a title shot, but he's going to have to wait. read news >>

Urijah Faber: Dillashaw got manipulated, can't foresee return to Team Alpha Male

BOSTON – Urijah Faber didn’t want to come to Boston to see live the UFC bantamweight title fight between T.J. Dillashaw and Dominick Cruz. He was there because he got paid – sort of.Filed under: Feat read news >>