Frankie Edgar didn’t get the result he wanted Saturday at UFC 150, dropping a controversial split decision to lightweight champion Benson Henderson.

The loss added fuel to the ongoing debate over whether Edgar should drop a weight class, and coming off the defeat the former champion is definitely considering his options.

“I’m going to give myself a week to kind of just let all the emotions go away, just relax and enjoy my family and then sit down probably Sunday with my team and everyone else and just start bouncing some ideas around,” Edgar told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “It’s Time” show with Bruce Buffer. “Forty-five is a possibility. Fifty-five, I’ve been so successful and I would love to get a shot at the 155-pound belt again. Who knows? The 145-pound belt is definitely a prestigious belt to go after, especially with Jose Aldo at the helm of it all, but I’ve just got to really sit down and just discuss it with my team and my family and just make the right decision for myself.”

Edgar is not a big lightweight, but he’s beaten B.J. Penn twice in the division, knocked out Gray Maynard to conclude their trilogy and may have deserved the nod over Henderson on Saturday.

“I did think I won,” Edgar said. “I thought I did enough. Sometimes enough is not enough. You’ve just got to do a little more, and apparently I guess that’s what the judges were seeing. I’m not really dwelling on it. There’s nothing I can do about it. I could be upset and complain about it and this and that, but I’ve got to move on and get back in the win column.”

A move to 145 pounds would not be difficult, Edgar said.

“I don’t think I’d have to tweak much,” he explained. “I probably would clean my diet maybe some. I like to eat fairly clean and I’m not a huge eater, so I wouldn’t have to change too, too much, but I’ll be honest: I think a lot of 145-pounders are probably bigger than me down at that weight class anyway. They probably walk around heavier than I do. I don’t think making the weight would be too much of a problem.”

Certainly he could encounter some new competition at 145 pounds. At 155, he’s had a knack for fighting rematches. He fought Penn twice, Henderson twice and Maynard three times. Henderson is the only one he didn’t beat.

“It’s true,” Edgar said. “It’s bittersweet, though, because I would really like to have a win over [Henderson]. I’ve been hearing a lot of people telling me, ‘You won the fight. You didn’t win the fight,’ whatever. But down the line, no one’s going to remember it was controversial. No one’s going to remember anything. They’re just going to see a loss and have Ben Henderson’s name there. That’s a little bittersweet. You would love another chance at it, but down the line, you never know what could happen.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 17:43).

From Around the Web

UFC Fight Night 63: Al Iaquinta vs. Jorge Masvidal fight video highlights

FAIFAX, Va. – It didn’t come easy for Al Iaquinta, and not everyone in the crowd agreed with the call, but he earned a split-decision win over Jorge Masvidal.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Video: Al Iaquinta curses at fans after hearing boos from controversial decision against Jorge Masvidal

Whoops. Watch an emotional Al Iaquinta curse at fans as the crowd booed a contested decision. Al Iaquinta won a contested split decision win over Jorge Masvidal at the co-main event of UFC: Fairfax. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 63 results: Al Iaquinta wins controversial decision over Jorge Masvidal

Al Iaquinta managed to win a narrow split decision over Jorge Masvidal at UFC Fight Night 63, but he probably didn’t make any new fans as he stormed out of the cage to a chorus of boos.Filed under: N read news >>

UFC Fight Night 63 results: Liz Carmouche gets controversial nod over Lauren Murphy

FAIRFAX, Va. – Liz Carmouche came to life late in her fight with Lauren Murphy, but it was just in time for the judges at cageside.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 63 Results: Liz Carmouche Given Controversial Unanimous Nod

The crowd in Fairfax, Va., certainly didn't agree with the judges, who gave former title contender Liz Carmouche a unanimous nod over Lauren Murphy at UFC Fight Night 63. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 63 results: Timothy Johnson pounds out Shamil Abdurahimov

FAIRFAX, Va. – It wasn’t easy for Timothy Johnson to get Shamil Abhurahimov to the mat, thanks in part to Abdurahimov’s willingness to use both legal and illegal takedown defense strategies to stay o read news >>

With Gadelha out, Aisling Daly vs. Randa Markos official for UFC 186 in Montreal

As expected, Aisling Daly didn’t have to wait long to get a new fight after her previous fight fell through. Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 184 Drug Tests All Come Back Clean Despite One Abnormal Result

Every fighter on the UFC 184: Rousey vs. Zingano fight card was drug tested, and as of Monday morning, all of them produced negative results. read news >>

Video: Controversial scoring error in ProFC 57 main event leads to brawl in Russia

Watch footage of the brawl that took place in Russia following a judging error in the evening’s main event. On Sunday afternoon, controversy ensued in the ProFC 57 main event title fight that eventua read news >>