Tyson Griffin UFC 103“The first step toward success is taken when you refuse to be a captive of the environment in which you first find yourself.” – Mark Caine

Former UFC fighter Tyson Griffin lost his way back in 2010 after doing so well earlier in his career.

Spending much of his time at Xtreme Couture, Griffin was later given new advice in the camp that wasn’t clicking.  It quickly became apparent in his fights, as Griffin was abandoning the wrestling that made him so successful in the UFC early on.

Griffin made an unhealthy move to featherweight and after losing four of his last five fights was subsequently released from the UFC in November of 2011.

“I was young in the sport, doing a lot of good things and learning along the way,” Griffin told MMAWeekly Radio.

“I was trying a lot of new things out and I don’t think a lot of those new things helped me.  I’m going to go back and do what I did that got me to the top in the first place and see what happens.”

Griffin wasn’t enjoying his environment at Xtreme Couture any longer, and knew that if he couldn’t have fun training anymore that he needed to leave.

Midway through 2012, former teammate Gray Maynard made a call for Griffin to come help him train, and everything started to click again.  Griffin quickly realized that if he wanted to make a comeback that American Kickboxing Academy in San Jose, Calif., was the place to be.

“It’s about the atmosphere in the gym.  I need a certain atmosphere to allow me to have fun and I need to have fun if I’m going to be there every day training hard.  The fight doesn’t have to be fun.  The fight is a fight.

“I feel AKA has what we could’ve had and started to have in Vegas and it kind of fell a part.  I feel like AKA has got that same atmosphere and that same kind of mentality there.  So, I feel like it’s a great new start and a great place to get back on the winning track and put a win streak together.”

At Resurrection Fighting Alliance 4, all of Griffin’s hard work started to pay off with a victory over fellow UFC veteran Efrain Escudero.  Even with the change in camp and a year-long layoff, Griffin looked like his old self again with a crowd-pleasing unanimous decision win.

While the 28-year-old appreciates the challenges at RFA, the end game is always the UFC.  And once he’s put himself back on the map, he wants to have at it once again with all of the best fighters in the world.

“I think the end of the game is to compete against the best in the world.  Efrain is a good, tough guy, but I want to compete against the best names in the world.  That’s what motivates me to train every day and that’s what helps me have fun in the sport.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest mixed martial arts news and updates.

Julius Anglickas Building a Solid Career Heading into Next Shamrock FC Fight

Building off of an active amateur career, Julius Anglickas is on track heading into Saturday's Shamrock FC. read news >>

Bryan Caraway%26#x2019;s career blossoming after upsetting Aljamain Sterling (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Defeating the previously unbeaten No. 4-ranked bantamweight is nothing compared to the struggles Caraway has overcome in his personal life. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 88 Results: Jeremy Stephens Spoils Renan Barao’s Featherweight Debut

Jeremy Stephens scored the biggest win of his career on Sunday night, spoiling former bantamweight champion Rena Barao's arrival at 145 pounds. read news >>

Brock Lesnar: Latest News, Rumors and Speculation on Fighter's Potential Return

After he reignited his professional wrestling career, it looked as though Brock Lesnar's days in UFC were over, but the 38-year-old may be nearing a return to the Octagon. Continue for updates. Lesna read news >>

Rockhold vs. Bisping 2 Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 199

For the first time in his career, Michael Bisping is a UFC champion. Thanks to a left hook followed with some more shots against the cage, Bisping knocked out Luke Rockhold in the first round to beco read news >>

RFA Bantamweight Champion Leandro Higo to Carry Olympic Torch in Brazil

RFA bantamweight champion Leandro Higo is set to accomplish another career highlight just 45 days after capturing RFA gold. Higo will carry the Olympic Torch. read news >>

‘Kimbo Slice’ Wanted to Be Remembered as a Family Man and as a Fighter Who Evolved

Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson started his fighting career as a street fighter with heavy hands made famous by Youtube videos of his backyard brawls. read news >>

How Well Do You Remember the Career of Kimbo Slice?

Test your knowledge with a look back at the life and career of Kimbo Slice. read news >>

Ben Reiter Expecting to ‘Impose His Will’ at Bellator 156

Though he suffered the first loss of his career last November to Francisco France at Bellator 146, middleweight up-and-comer Ben Reiter doesn’t feel he was beaten in the fight. read news >>