Dos Santos Predicts KO at UFC 131


Junior dos Santos sees a knockout unfolding at UFC 131. | Photo: Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com


Junior dos Santos found out that Brock Lesnar was out of their UFC 131 headliner at the same time as the rest of the world: Thursday afternoon, when UFC President Dana White announced it during an emergency media conference call.

Dos Santos, who coached opposite the former UFC heavyweight champion on the currently airing 13th season of “The Ultimate Fighter,” was naturally a bit surprised to hear out of the blue that he’ll now meet Shane Carwin on June 11 at Rogers Arena in Vancouver, B.C., Canada.

“I got a little upset about this change, but I’m happy that the UFC got another opponent for me,” Dos Santos told Sherdog.com Thursday evening. “Carwin is an excellent fighter and deserves all my respect.”

The opponent swap is not the first curveball the 26-year-old Brazilian has been thrown in recent months. After notching a unanimous decision over Roy Nelson at UFC 117 in August, Dos Santos became the top contender to reigning heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez. When Velasquez opted to surgery on a torn rotator cuff, however, the deck was reshuffled. Lesnar and Dos Santos were announced as coaches for “TUF 13,” with the winner to be named the new No. 1 contender.

The upside: Dos Santos’ fight with Carwin will carry the same prize and the winner will get to welcome Velasquez back to the Octagon. The downside: taking a fight on one month’s notice against a dangerous, once-beaten foe.

“His boxing skills are great,” said Dos Santos of Carwin, who has secured all four of his UFC wins by first-round stoppage. “It’s gonna be a great fight with tough blows from both sides. I would say that it will end by knockout.”

With the stakes just as high and his new opponent just as dangerous, “Cigano” explained that there is little time for a change in strategy. But, for a young fighter in his prime who has already been on the shelf nine months, backing out of the fight simply is not an option.

“I want to fight,” Dos Santos said. “I’m in the best moment of my career and I want to make my dream of being a UFC champion come true.” view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 12 days ago
  • 3 views

Junior dos Santos had a rough fight the last time out, but on Thursday had successful surgery to put him back on the mend. read news >>

  • 14 days ago
  • 6 views

Former UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos was among eight fighters who received six-month medical suspensions in the aftermath of December's UFC on FOX 13 event, according to information rele read news >>

  • 14 days ago
  • 3 views

Junior dos Santos banked the biggest income at UFC on FOX 13 for his win over Stipe Miocic on last month's card, according to reports on Tuesday. read news >>

  • 14 days ago
  • 1 views

Junior dos Santos was the biggest earner at UFC on Fox 13, taking home a reported $260,000 for his victory over Stipe Miocic ($30,000) in the evening’s main event on Dec. 13. read news >>

  • 14 days ago
  • 15 views

Junior dos Santos could be facing six months on the sidelines following his five-round slugfest with Stipe Miocic at UFC on Fox 13. read news >>

  • 13 days ago
  • 2 views

Former UFC heavyweight champ Junior Dos Santos took home more than a quarter-million dollars for his slugfest with Stipe Miocic in the headliner of this past month’s UFC on FOX 13 event.Filed under: read news >>

  • 12 days ago
  • 2 views

Junior dos Santos fought tough battles in his past UFC fights, and underwent two surgeries on Thursday. The former UFC heavyweight champion, who defeated Stipe Miocic via unanimous decision in Decemb read news >>

  • 12 days ago
  • 28 views

I guess that rules out a Travis Browne fight. After a 25-minute war against Stipe Miocic, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White warned the mixed martial arts (MMA) community that read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 0 views

Two new match-ups were added to the upcoming UFC Fight Night 61 card in Porto Alegre, Brazil, on Feb. 22, including the return of top ranked bantamweight Iuri Alcantara. Coming off three straight win read news >>