Chael Sonnen and Jon Jones UFCDespite all the heat between he and Anderson Silva leading up to their rematch at UFC 148 last week, Chael Sonnen has been rather subdued following his second-round TKO loss to the champion.

Many people have interpreted Sonnen’s more reserved attitude as him pulling back from the fight game. Questions immediately soared his way about everything from retirement to following Brock Lesnar to the WWE.

Sonnen quickly shot down all of those rumors, but on Thursday night’s edition of UFC Tonight, he stirred the pot a little, explaining his outlook on retirement and fueling the fires of speculation with some chatter of his own.

“I love this sport and I would never want to retire. My coach Clayton will be the one that retires me based on my results and productivity in practice,” said Sonnen.

“I could have easily defeated (Anderson Silva). Physically I’m fine; mentally I’m fine. Give me a couple of weeks to settle in and when you get in the spot that I am in, we will see. Anderson could retire any day now.”

But what will surely get people talking is what Sonnen had to say next, priming the pump for a possible jump up in weight classes.

“There is simply an option to start over by changing weight class. My mentors have done it and it could happen. I would go up to 205. Jon Jones. There are some great guys at 185, but traditionally and historically it is a good way to get a fresh start and start over.”

Sonnen has fought at light heavyweight in the past, but has spent the latter part of his career at middleweight.

Still, do the waters get any easier at 205? Sonnen went 0 for 2 against Anderson Silva; is he likely to fair better against UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones?

For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

From Around the Web

Anderson Silva: ‘Cocky’ fighters like Conor McGregor ‘can’t cross the line’

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Jose Aldo found the Chael Sonnen for his Anderson Silva in Conor McGregor, and has been forced to deal with it on a daily basis now. The UFC’s first and only featherweight champion, read news >>

Drug Test? Injury? Chael Sonnen says UFC 187's Jon Jones vs. Anthony Johnson 'won't happen, mark my words'

Chael Sonnen gave interesting answers about Jon Jones vs. Anthony Johnson and Anderson Silva's failed drug test Chael Sonnen was on Reddit for one of their 'Ask Me Anything' sessions, and the former read news >>

Chael Sonnen: Jon Jones vs. Anthony Johnson fight 'won't happen' at UFC 187, 'mark my words'

Uh oh. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is going to defend his title against division No. 1 contender Anthony Johnson in the UFC 187 pay-per-view (PPV) main e read news >>

Dana White talks Bellator, Chael Sonnen, Jon Jones and more with Bas Rutten

Dana White talks Bellator, Chael Sonnen, Jon Jones and more with Bas Rutten read news >>

NSAC would make Anderson Silva's test results available, no comment on 2016 Olympics

The Nevada State Athletic Commission has no say in whether or not Anderson Silva competes in the 2016 Olympics, but it would make the ex-champ's testing results available to the International Olympic read news >>

Anderson Silva teaches his classic finishes

RIO DE JANEIRO -- A highlight video of Anderson Silva’s career would include some of the best finishes in the history of the sport, and the former UFC middleweight champion decided to spread the know read news >>

Watch: Jon Jones and Holly Holm Throw Some Spinning Kicks

If every opponent were a bag of sand, MMA would be more fun. Get on it, Dana. Because if every opponent were a bag of sand, you'd regularly get displays like this one, in which UFC light heavyweight read news >>

WSOF 19 Fight Highlights Video: Justin Gaethje Destroys Luis Palomino

Facing the toughest opponent of his career in Luis Palomino, Justin Gaethje successfully retained his WSOF lightweight title and perfect record with a third-round TKO. read news >>

WSOF 19 video highlights: Timur Valiev crushes Ed West

Timur Valiev continued to make a big climb up the bantamweight ranks with a quick finish of Ed West on Saturday. Filed under: News, Videos, WSOF read news >>