After Florian, Aldo Open to ‘Dream’ Fights at 155, 135

• submit to reddit

Joe Aldo says he would welcome bouts against other UFC divisional champions. | Photo: Dave Mandel

Jose Aldo currently sits alone atop the featherweight division, but the UFC’s second-youngest champion has a dream: a possible move in weight that could result in a super-fight against a fellow UFC champ, such as Frankie Edgar or Dominick Cruz.

Aldo, 24, has already verbally agreed to make his next title defense against Kenny Florian, who earned the shot in his 145-pound debut by outpointing world-ranked Diego Nunes. After that, however, if desired by the UFC and agreed upon by his management, Aldo says he’d be more than happy to shift in weight.

“It’s not only about my wishes,” Aldo explained to Sherdog.com. “My coach, Andre Pederneiras, and managers Ed Soares and ‘Joinha’ [Jorge Guimaraes] are also involved, so it has to come from them, as well as from [UFC President] Dana White and [matchmaker] Joe Silva. I’m a fighter; I’ve gotta do my job well and always try to give the crowd a show. If it was only about my wishes, I’d love to move my weight up and down to fight, but I’m confident when they believe it’s a good time, I’ll be asked to face this new challenge.”

Aside from taking part in his own, Aldo also showed himself to be generally in favor of super-fights, admitting that he would like to see middleweight king Anderson Silva take on light heavyweight champ Jon Jones, or Silva against welterweight ruler Georges St. Pierre.

“I’m in favor of that because I think the promotion, the public and the media would gain a lot with [super-fights],” the Nova Uniao fighter opined. “A lot of fans want to see champions fight champions from other divisions. If people could find a way to make that, to get a consensus, I think there’s a place for that in the UFC. For me, as I said, it would be a dream come true to test myself between the lighter weights.”

Before any move, though, Aldo must defend his crown against Florian. After six weeks away from training, the champion is getting back to perfect shape. Now completely healed is the shoulder injury which he discovered after his five-round battle with Mark Hominick at UFC 129.

“I’m just waiting on the date [to face Florian],” said Aldo. “I returned to my training routines after a good period of rest, and I’m getting back into shape with boxing, jiu-jitsu and muay Thai. I’m not exactly focused on Florian. I’ll wait to be, like, seven weeks out from the fight to figure out a strategy to beat him.”

UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo has heard Chad Mendes’ comments, and he’s not pleased.Filed under: News, UFC more

UFC 176's main event featherweight title fight has been wiped out for now thanks to an injury to the champion. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC more

UFC Featherweight champ Jose Aldo is injured and won't be able to defend his title against Chad Mendes at UFC 176.
MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani reported on UFC Tonight on Fox Sports 1 that UFC Featherweight champ Jose Aldo is injured and his UFC 176 headliner against Chad Mendes is cancelled.
This is terrible news for Jose Aldo fans who have had to endure cancelled fight after long injury induced layoffs between rare opportunites to see their man in the Octagon. Since becoming the UFC Featherwei more

UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo is injured and out of the pay-per-view main event against Chad Mendes, according to a report from UFC Tonight on Wednesday. more

UFC 176 received a huge blow tonight as Featherweight champion, Jose Aldo, has been forced to withdraw from his scheduled title defense against Chad Mendes in the main event.
More bad Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) news.
UFC Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo has suffered an injury and will be unable to defend his 145-pound title against Chad Mendes at UFC 176, which takes place at Staples Center in Los Angeles, Calif., on Aug. 2, 2014.
No official statement was released from the promotion y more

LAS VEGAS – UFC featherweight champ Jose Aldo’s injury won’t keep him from a rematch with No. 1 contender Chad Mendes.Filed under: News, UFC more

Following news of Jose Aldo's injury that forced him off the August 2nd main event against Chad Mendes, the UFC has pulled the plug on UFC 176.
For the 2nd time in 2 years, the UFC has been forced to scrap a PPV card.
UFC 176 in Los Angeles, CA was due to be headlined by featherweight champion Jose Aldo against Chad Mendes, but Aldo was forced to withdraw last week after suffering injuries to his shoulder and cervical spine. With the card just a month away, the UFC either had to scramble to find more

The UFC has decided to cancel an entire pay-per-view card after featherweight champion Jose Aldo was forced out of the main event with an injury.
Aldo, who was scheduled to defend his 145-pound title in a rematch against Chad Mendes at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, Calif., on Aug. 2, suffered a shoulder injury that will keep him out of training for three to four weeks, and the promotion decided to cancel the whole event.
The UFC announced on Tuesday that Aldo vs. Mendes is expected to take more