Joe Aldo says he would welcome bouts against other UFC divisional champions. | Photo: Dave Mandel

Jose Aldo currently sits alone atop the featherweight division, but the UFC’s second-youngest champion has a dream: a possible move in weight that could result in a super-fight against a fellow UFC champ, such as Frankie Edgar or Dominick Cruz.

Aldo, 24, has already verbally agreed to make his next title defense against Kenny Florian, who earned the shot in his 145-pound debut by outpointing world-ranked Diego Nunes. After that, however, if desired by the UFC and agreed upon by his management, Aldo says he’d be more than happy to shift in weight.

“It’s not only about my wishes,” Aldo explained to Sherdog.com. “My coach, Andre Pederneiras, and managers Ed Soares and ‘Joinha’ [Jorge Guimaraes] are also involved, so it has to come from them, as well as from [UFC President] Dana White and [matchmaker] Joe Silva. I’m a fighter; I’ve gotta do my job well and always try to give the crowd a show. If it was only about my wishes, I’d love to move my weight up and down to fight, but I’m confident when they believe it’s a good time, I’ll be asked to face this new challenge.”

Aside from taking part in his own, Aldo also showed himself to be generally in favor of super-fights, admitting that he would like to see middleweight king Anderson Silva take on light heavyweight champ Jon Jones, or Silva against welterweight ruler Georges St. Pierre.

“I’m in favor of that because I think the promotion, the public and the media would gain a lot with [super-fights],” the Nova Uniao fighter opined. “A lot of fans want to see champions fight champions from other divisions. If people could find a way to make that, to get a consensus, I think there’s a place for that in the UFC. For me, as I said, it would be a dream come true to test myself between the lighter weights.”

Before any move, though, Aldo must defend his crown against Florian. After six weeks away from training, the champion is getting back to perfect shape. Now completely healed is the shoulder injury which he discovered after his five-round battle with Mark Hominick at UFC 129.

“I’m just waiting on the date [to face Florian],” said Aldo. “I returned to my training routines after a good period of rest, and I’m getting back into shape with boxing, jiu-jitsu and muay Thai. I’m not exactly focused on Florian. I’ll wait to be, like, seven weeks out from the fight to figure out a strategy to beat him.”

Cris Cyborg: The UFC’s Conundrum | MMAWeekly.com

Cris Cyborg is arguably the most dominant champion in MMA today, but the UFC doesn't have her division and no one is lining up to face her. read news >>

John Dodson vs. John Lineker: A Head-to-Toe Breakdown

• a day ago

Two former 125-pound contenders who never met in the flyweight division will now meet in the main event of UFC Fight Night 96 in the hopes of becoming title contenders at bantamweight. John Lineker m read news >>

Video: Watch John Dodson return to bantamweight with quick win over Manvel Gamburyan

• a day ago

While his only losses in the UFC’s flyweight division came to current champ Demetrious Johnson, John Dodson elected to return to 135 pounds. If his first performance was any indication, it was a wise read news >>

Video replay: Watch today's UFC 205 press conference featuring Eddie Alvarez and Conor McGregor

• 23 hours ago

With the main event for the UFC’s long-awaited Madison Square Garden debut finally set, the promotion held a star-studded press conference today in New York.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jose Aldo Requests Release from UFC Contract: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

• 22 hours ago

Upset about not being given a rematch against Conor McGregor at UFC 205, Jose Aldo has requested a release from his contract. Aldo made his comments to the Brazilian website Combate (translation via  read news >>

Interim champ Jose Aldo wants UFC contract terminated after Alvarez vs. McGregor booking

• 22 hours ago

Former featherweight champ and now interim titleholder [autotag]Jose Aldo[/autotag] says he no longer wants to fight for the UFC. Following UFC 205’s main-event booking, a lightweight title affair be read news >>

Twitter reacts to UFC 205 news conference: Conor McGregor (once again) stole the show

• 22 hours ago

The UFC’s return to New York City on Nov. 12 has excitement swirling, and today’s UFC 205 news conference built even more buzz around the monumental event. Check out how social media reacted to the e read news >>

Jose Aldo requests release from UFC 'after being fooled so many times'

• 22 hours ago

Fed up, Jose Aldo has requested his release from the UFCFight fans may never get a change to see longtime featherweight kingpin Jose Aldo step foot inside a UFC Octagon ever again.On Tuesday, in an i read news >>

Jose Aldo Asks for UFC Release, Threatens to Retire | MMAWeekly.com

• 21 hours ago

After what he sees as the latest broken promise, Jose Aldo says he is done with the UFC. He wants to be released. read news >>

Jose Aldo doubles down on request for UFC release, Max Holloway responds

• 19 hours ago

Jose Aldo is doubling down on his desire for his release from the UFC, much to the chagrin of featherweight top contender Max HollowayJose Aldo did more than enough to earn his rematch against Conor read news >>