A friend gave Robert Emerson some advice: get yourself clean, and all of your problems will go away.

“I just thought it was bull hockey,” Emerson told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “I was like, ‘Oh, whatever.’ I actually went to an [Alcoholics Anonymous] meeting with him and I just had a crazy revelation that night, and here it is, 60 days later, I won my fight. I’m back on the horse. Every single problem that I’ve had is completely gone now.”

The fight Emerson refers to is his March 9 win over Savant Young at Tachi Palace Fights 12. His first bout in more than a year, Emerson submitted the IFL veteran with a rear-naked choke 4:29 into the third round.

“It just reassured me that the lifestyle I’m living now and all the decisions that I’m making is for a purpose,” Emerson said. “I felt good in there. My conditioning was good. I didn’t even sit down or use a stool in between rounds. I felt fine. It was just a testament to my decision-making and the lifestyle I’m living now. My mind is just clear. I’m a few months sober now. Not that I was a crazy drug addict or a crazy, crazy party animal before or anything, but I just dabbled in mediocrity here and there. But as an athlete, that’s not really tolerable. I feel like I kind of just woke up out of this cloud, almost like I woke up out of a spell of the last eight years.”

Emerson has been fighting professionally for almost a decade. When he was 20 years old, he went the distance with Jens Pulver, who at the time was considered the top lightweight in the world. Five years later he was on “The Ultimate Fighter 5,” after which he experienced mixed success in the UFC. Now, though, Emerson says he has made changes in his life that will allow him to reach his potential.

“I had a real religious experience,” he said. “I just feel like God is helping me now that I’m willing to help myself. Everything in my life is right now. I feel like I’m right where I’m supposed to be and going in the direction now where I’m finally supposed to go. I feel like I put my life on hold and I took the hold button off and I’m moving forward, and every cell in my body tells me I’m going now.”

Emerson is only 30 years old. In his view, his best days are ahead, and they may include a return to the Octagon.

“I’m not putting all of my eggs in one basket,” Emerson said. “I’m just excited for my career from here on out. I’m going to fight as the fights come. I want to stay as active as possible. I’m looking to fight next month, May at the latest, and just keep on a roll. I think my fighting and my performances will have the UFC looking for me hopefully by summer time.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:32:47).

Eddie Alvarez: Conor McGregor's Left Hand Is 'Very Easily Taken Away'

Eddie Alvarez sees an easy victory ahead for him at UFC 205 against Conor McGregor, and the lightweight champion is as confident as he has ever been. Alvarez did not seem a bit fazed during the press read news >>

UFC 205 look ahead: Prelims preview

From the first fight of the night to the main event, UFC 205 is stacked with amazing talent and great fights. We break down the prelims portion of the historic fight card on November 12 in Madison Sq read news >>

UFC: Jon Jones' Attorney Says USADA Test Results Are Clean

It seems as though Jon Jones may be back inside the UFC cage sooner rather than later.It finally looks as though the drama surrounding Jon Jones and his shock UFC 200 withdrawalmay be coming to end a read news >>

Video: Ahead of UFC 205, check out Tyron Woodley's dominant July title win

In just a few weeks, Tyron Woodley looks for his first title defense. Check out the performance that first earned him the UFC welterweight bout.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Ahead of USADA arbitration hearing, UFC champ Jon Jones unloads with steroid diatribe

Jon Jones’ arbitration hearing with the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) is less than a week away, and ahead of the pivotal moment, the interim UFC light-heavyweight champion shared a few thoughts abo read news >>

Gunnar Nelson says injury happened during UFC workout, apologizes for canceled headliner

Gunnar Nelson gave it his best effort, but an ankle injury ultimately forced him out of what would’ve been just his second UFC headliner.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Conor McGregor Sharpens His Wrestling Ahead of UFC 205 | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

In day 3 of his journey to the Big Apple, Conor McGregor sharpens his wrestling skills. read news >>

Eddie Alvarez Comments on Conor McGregor Ahead of UFC 205 Title Fight

UFC lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez has said he’ll do whatever he wants to Conor McGregor when the two men meet at UFC 205. The pair will battle it out in New York on November 12 in one of the yea read news >>

Weigh-In: John Dodson vs. John Lineker - UFC Fight Night

Watch John 'Hands of Stone' Lineker and John 'The Magician' Dodson weigh-in ahead of their UFC Fight Night match-up in Portland, Oregon. read news >>

Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos not worried about travel adjustments ahead of UFC Fight Night 96

Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos is a finisher. With 14 finishes in 15 career victories, he’s planning to score another knockout when he faces Keita Nakamura at UFC Fight Night 96.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>