A friend gave Robert Emerson some advice: get yourself clean, and all of your problems will go away.

“I just thought it was bull hockey,” Emerson told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “I was like, ‘Oh, whatever.’ I actually went to an [Alcoholics Anonymous] meeting with him and I just had a crazy revelation that night, and here it is, 60 days later, I won my fight. I’m back on the horse. Every single problem that I’ve had is completely gone now.”

The fight Emerson refers to is his March 9 win over Savant Young at Tachi Palace Fights 12. His first bout in more than a year, Emerson submitted the IFL veteran with a rear-naked choke 4:29 into the third round.

“It just reassured me that the lifestyle I’m living now and all the decisions that I’m making is for a purpose,” Emerson said. “I felt good in there. My conditioning was good. I didn’t even sit down or use a stool in between rounds. I felt fine. It was just a testament to my decision-making and the lifestyle I’m living now. My mind is just clear. I’m a few months sober now. Not that I was a crazy drug addict or a crazy, crazy party animal before or anything, but I just dabbled in mediocrity here and there. But as an athlete, that’s not really tolerable. I feel like I kind of just woke up out of this cloud, almost like I woke up out of a spell of the last eight years.”

Emerson has been fighting professionally for almost a decade. When he was 20 years old, he went the distance with Jens Pulver, who at the time was considered the top lightweight in the world. Five years later he was on “The Ultimate Fighter 5,” after which he experienced mixed success in the UFC. Now, though, Emerson says he has made changes in his life that will allow him to reach his potential.

“I had a real religious experience,” he said. “I just feel like God is helping me now that I’m willing to help myself. Everything in my life is right now. I feel like I’m right where I’m supposed to be and going in the direction now where I’m finally supposed to go. I feel like I put my life on hold and I took the hold button off and I’m moving forward, and every cell in my body tells me I’m going now.”

Emerson is only 30 years old. In his view, his best days are ahead, and they may include a return to the Octagon.

“I’m not putting all of my eggs in one basket,” Emerson said. “I’m just excited for my career from here on out. I’m going to fight as the fights come. I want to stay as active as possible. I’m looking to fight next month, May at the latest, and just keep on a roll. I think my fighting and my performances will have the UFC looking for me hopefully by summer time.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:32:47).

UFC on FOX 21 Results: Jim Miller Edges Ahead of Joe Lauzon to Take the Rematch

Jim Miller and Joe Lauzon’s rematch at UFC on FOX 21 in Vancouver on Saturday was another classic, but the result was the same, a victory for Miller. read news >>

Secret weapons give Shelton boost ahead of Ultimate Fighter debut

Caged Aggression champion Eric Shelton has an edge going into The Ultimate Fighter season 24, sage advice from UFC veteran Pete Spratt and Hall of Famer Pat Miletich. read news >>

UFC Unfiltered: Mickey Gall and Rob Dyrdek

Mickey Gall calls in ahead of his UFC 203 fight against CM Punk to give his thoughts on what Punk's gameplan will be against him and more. Later, skateboarder, producer, entrepreneur, and reality TV read news >>

Podcast: Ian McCall on Scoggins beef and if CM Punk will win - MMA Plus

Ian McCall featured on The Mind Diet ahead of UFC 203 and he had plenty to say about previously scheduled competitor, 'young dumb kid' Justin Scoggins. read news >>

UFC Fight Night Arlovski vs Barnett: What you got right & wrong

UFC fans made their predictions ahead of UFC Fight Night Arlovski vs Barnett - but were they correct? We look at all the prefight picks and see what really happened on fight night. read news >>

Bleacher Report MMA Rankings for September 2016 Ahead of UFC 203

It's been a while, folks, but the Bleacher Report MMA rankings are back! It's been a hectic month-and-a-half, with a number of major events and a number of good fights going down across nearly every read news >>

Overeem says Miocic enjoying title life too much

Ahead of their heavyweight championship clash at UFC 203, challenger Alistair Overeem thinks champion Stipe Miocic is enjoying the title life too much and he's hungry enough to take the belt on Sept. read news >>

CM Punk Comments on MMA Career, Life After WWE and More

Ahead of his highly anticipated MMA debut against Mickey Gall Saturday at UFC 203, CM Punk discussed his development as a fighter and his past as a WWE Superstar in The Players' Tribune. Punk said th read news >>

Awwww, Mick Foley Gets All Dad-Like for CM Punk in Video Ahead of UFC 203 | MMAWeekly.com

CM Punk may be a 4-1 underdog against Mickey Gall at UFC 203, but he still has a lot of fans rooting for him, and one of those is Mick Foley. read news >>

CM Punk vs. Mickey Gall Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 203

The UFC gave Mickey Gall a prime spot against CM Punk, which the 24-year-old ran with by submitting the former WWE champion via rear-naked choke in the first round at UFC 203 in Cleveland on Saturday read news >>