A friend gave Robert Emerson some advice: get yourself clean, and all of your problems will go away.

“I just thought it was bull hockey,” Emerson told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “I was like, ‘Oh, whatever.’ I actually went to an [Alcoholics Anonymous] meeting with him and I just had a crazy revelation that night, and here it is, 60 days later, I won my fight. I’m back on the horse. Every single problem that I’ve had is completely gone now.”

The fight Emerson refers to is his March 9 win over Savant Young at Tachi Palace Fights 12. His first bout in more than a year, Emerson submitted the IFL veteran with a rear-naked choke 4:29 into the third round.

“It just reassured me that the lifestyle I’m living now and all the decisions that I’m making is for a purpose,” Emerson said. “I felt good in there. My conditioning was good. I didn’t even sit down or use a stool in between rounds. I felt fine. It was just a testament to my decision-making and the lifestyle I’m living now. My mind is just clear. I’m a few months sober now. Not that I was a crazy drug addict or a crazy, crazy party animal before or anything, but I just dabbled in mediocrity here and there. But as an athlete, that’s not really tolerable. I feel like I kind of just woke up out of this cloud, almost like I woke up out of a spell of the last eight years.”

Emerson has been fighting professionally for almost a decade. When he was 20 years old, he went the distance with Jens Pulver, who at the time was considered the top lightweight in the world. Five years later he was on “The Ultimate Fighter 5,” after which he experienced mixed success in the UFC. Now, though, Emerson says he has made changes in his life that will allow him to reach his potential.

“I had a real religious experience,” he said. “I just feel like God is helping me now that I’m willing to help myself. Everything in my life is right now. I feel like I’m right where I’m supposed to be and going in the direction now where I’m finally supposed to go. I feel like I put my life on hold and I took the hold button off and I’m moving forward, and every cell in my body tells me I’m going now.”

Emerson is only 30 years old. In his view, his best days are ahead, and they may include a return to the Octagon.

“I’m not putting all of my eggs in one basket,” Emerson said. “I’m just excited for my career from here on out. I’m going to fight as the fights come. I want to stay as active as possible. I’m looking to fight next month, May at the latest, and just keep on a roll. I think my fighting and my performances will have the UFC looking for me hopefully by summer time.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:32:47).

Watch today's WSOF 30 weigh-ins live on MMAjunkie at 8:30 p.m. ET

Ahead of Saturday’s WSOF 30 event, you can watch a live video stream of today’s official fighter weigh-ins here on MMAjunkie at 8:30 p.m. ET (5:30 p.m. PT).Filed under: News, Videos, WSOF read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86 pre-fight facts: Ben Rothwell out to extend stoppage streak

Croatia finally sees its first UFC event on Sunday when the octagon touches down in Zagreb for UFC Fight Night 86. Check out all the pre-fight facts.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones Comments on Daniel Cormier, Ovince Saint Preux Ahead of UFC 197 Fight

UFC star Jon Jones thinks that if he were to lose to Ovince Saint Preux at UFC 197, it would be the "greatest day" of Daniel Cormier's life. Saint Preux is set to take on Jones for the interim light read news >>

Conor McGregor Comments on 3-Year UFC Anniversary Ahead of Nate Diaz Rematch

Wednesday marked the three-year anniversary of Conor McGregor's induction into the ranks of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, and The Notorious made sure to remind his peers of the date prior to hi read news >>

Conor McGregor Comments on 3-Year UFC Anniversary Ahead of Nate Diaz Rematch

Jon Jones Comments on Daniel Cormier, Ovince Saint Preux Ahead of UFC 197 Fight

Video: UFC champ Luke Rockhold and Chris Weidman explain why they just can't get along

LOS ANGELES – Ahead of their rematch next month at UFC 199, middleweight champion Luke Rockhold and Chris Weidman met with the media and discussed why their rivalry has gotten so personal in recent w read news >>

Miesha Tate Video: Dishing on Amanda Nunes Fight Ahead of Ronda Rousey or Holly Holm

Miesha Tate talks about facing Amanda Nunes, potential rematches with Holly Holm and Ronda Rousey, and what's on the horizon with Cris Cyborg. read news >>

Ahead of UFC Fight Night 86, Junior Dos Santos knows in his heart he'll be champ again

ZAGREB, Croatia – Junior Dos Santos has fallen on rough times in recent years. Following a 10-fight winning streak, the Brazilian lost his heavyweight title to Cain Velasquez at UFC 155 in December 2 read news >>

Frank Mir after test failure: If 'B' sample isn't clean, this is retirement for me

Frank Mir may be one test sample away from retirement, the former two-time UFC heavyweight champion said.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>