#UFC Fight Night 126 #Conor McGregor #FNG #Donald Cerrone #UFC 221 #ACB 81 #Yancy Medeiros #UFC on Fox 28 #ONE Championship 68

Walel Watson Working Like It’s Day One All Over Again to Get Back to the UFC

Walel Watson Guard Ya GrillFollowing a third consecutive loss in the UFC, Walel Watson wasn’t surprised when he got the call that he was being released from his contract.

What disappointed Watson more was his performance in his final fight against Mitch Gagnon at UFC 152 because he has everything going right heading into the fight, and then it all went wrong.

“Going into the Mitch Gagnon fight I was super excited, my camp was awesome, I had the best camp of my life, the best diet of my life, the best weight cut of my life, everything just felt so perfect. I got over anxious. I wanted to go in there and I just wanted to make “Fight of the Night” happen right away, and you can’t just do that,” Watson told MMAWeekly.com.

“I’ve just got to learn from it, get better and go out there and do it again.”

Watson was discouraged at first when he got the call about being released from the UFC, but it quickly turned to motivation to get back there again. So instead of sitting and waiting for something to happen, Watson made a quick phone call to see what could be done to get him back in the cage as soon as possible.

“Right away I called my coach and I was like book me for a fight,” said Watson. “I’ve got to show them that I’m serious and that I belong there. I don’t let that discourage me at all, I just keep moving forward, keep trucking on the road.”

Watson got his wish and he will return this weekend for a fight, but he knows it’s just the first step on his road back to the UFC. There may be a few speed bumps along the way, but Watson knows he belongs among the best bantamweights in the world.

He just has to prove it.

“By the time I come back I’m going to be an even better Walel Watson, an unbeatable Walel Watson. I’m still raw in the game, I’m still learning a lot of things, and by the time I get back I’m going to be fundamentally sound and ready to come back,” said Watson.

“It’s like day one all over again, fighting to get into the UFC.”

Comments

GIF Parade: Working through a range of feelings when you hear Jimmy Smith on a UFC broadcast

You hear longtime Bellator commentator Jimmy Smith on a UFC broadcast, and you might be overcome with conflicting, confusing feelings. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 125 video highlights: Thiago Santos vs. Anthony Smith

Check out the highlights of Thiago Santos’ fourth consecutive finish at UFC-Belem. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 125 video highlights: Polyana Viana vs. Maia Stevenson

Check out the highlights of Polyana Viana steamrolling Maia Stevenson in her UFC debut. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 125 video highlights: Iuri Alcantara vs. Joe Soto

Check out the highlights of Iuri Alcantara’s TKO finish of Joe Soto in just 66 seconds at UFC-Belem. read news >>

Lyoto Machida Edges Out Eryk Anders (UFC Belem Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out highlights from the UFC Fight Night 125 main event between Lyoto Machida and Eryk Anders on Saturday read news >>

Fight Tracks: The walkout songs of UFC Fight Night 125 (how's your Portuguese?)

Check out all the fighter walkout songs from Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 125 event. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 125 Athlete Outfitting pay: John Dodson paid despite scratched fight

Fighters from UFC Fight Night 125 took home UFC Athlete Outfitting pay, a program that launched after the UFC’s deal with Reebok. read news >>

Reminder: 'Countdown to UFC 221: Rockhold vs. Romero' debuts today on FS1

The UFC’s traditional pre-event show returns today with the debut of “Countdown to UFC 221: Rockhold vs. Romero” on FS1. read news >>

Daniel Cormier Never Could Have Imagined Stipe Miocic Fight, Having Been at His Lowest Low | MMAWeekly.com

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier is in a position that a few short months ago he could never have imagined. read news >>

Ashlee Evans-Smith drops to flyweight, meets Bec Rawlings at UFC 223

A women’s flyweight bout between Ashlee Evans-Smith and Bec Rawlings is the latest addition to April’s UFC 223 lineup. read news >>