Walel Watson Guard Ya GrillFollowing a third consecutive loss in the UFC, Walel Watson wasn’t surprised when he got the call that he was being released from his contract.

What disappointed Watson more was his performance in his final fight against Mitch Gagnon at UFC 152 because he has everything going right heading into the fight, and then it all went wrong.

“Going into the Mitch Gagnon fight I was super excited, my camp was awesome, I had the best camp of my life, the best diet of my life, the best weight cut of my life, everything just felt so perfect. I got over anxious. I wanted to go in there and I just wanted to make “Fight of the Night” happen right away, and you can’t just do that,” Watson told MMAWeekly.com.

“I’ve just got to learn from it, get better and go out there and do it again.”

Watson was discouraged at first when he got the call about being released from the UFC, but it quickly turned to motivation to get back there again. So instead of sitting and waiting for something to happen, Watson made a quick phone call to see what could be done to get him back in the cage as soon as possible.

“Right away I called my coach and I was like book me for a fight,” said Watson. “I’ve got to show them that I’m serious and that I belong there. I don’t let that discourage me at all, I just keep moving forward, keep trucking on the road.”

Watson got his wish and he will return this weekend for a fight, but he knows it’s just the first step on his road back to the UFC. There may be a few speed bumps along the way, but Watson knows he belongs among the best bantamweights in the world.

He just has to prove it.

“By the time I come back I’m going to be an even better Walel Watson, an unbeatable Walel Watson. I’m still raw in the game, I’m still learning a lot of things, and by the time I get back I’m going to be fundamentally sound and ready to come back,” said Watson.

“It’s like day one all over again, fighting to get into the UFC.”

Mike Goldberg Was 'Speechless' When Let Go by the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Mike Goldberg began working for the Ultimate Fighting Championship in 1997. On Dec. 28 at UFC 207, Goldberg did play-by-play for his final UFC event. read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Future with UFC Commented on by Dana White on 'UFC Unfiltered'

Following consecutive decisive losses, UFC President Dana White believes Ronda Rousey may never again step foot inside the Octagon. On the latest episode of UFC.com's UFC Unfiltered (h/t Dann Stupp o read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 post-fight facts: Francis Ngannou overtakes lead for consecutive UFC finishes

For the first time since UFC on FOX 4 in August 2012, every fight on a FOX-televised main card ended in a stoppage. As we learn in the post-event facts, Francis Ngannou’s knockout set a new high amon read news >>

Ronda Rousey Broken at UFC 193, According to Holly Holm's Coach

With Ronda Rousey's UFC future in question following consecutive losses, Holly Holm's coach expressed his belief that the formerly dominant star is done with fighting. In an interview this week with read news >>

CM Punk "Working Feverishly" for UFC Comeback Fight | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Mike Roach/Zuffa LLC The MMA debut of professional wrestling megastar Phil “CM Punk” Brooks will last long in the memory, though not necessarily for the right reasons. The 38-year-old succum read news >>

CM Punk "Working Feverishly" for UFC Comeback Fight | FIGHTLAND

Watch Anderson Silva Destroy Chael Sonnen in Their Rematch (UFC 208 Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Anderson Silva extended his consecutive title defenses record to 10 when he defeated Chael Sonnen at UFC 148. Silva faces Derek Brunson at UFC 208 on Saturday. read news >>

New UFC Announcer Todd Grisham on His Debut and Working with Vince McMahon

For the first time since 2012, a new voice will call the action at a North American UFC event when Todd Grisham takes over the play-by-play duties for the UFC on Fox Sports 1, Sunday in Halifax, Nova read news >>

UFC 209: Woodley vs. Thompson 2 Extended Video Preview | MMAWeekly.com

Take an extended look inside the UFC 209 main and co-main event, featuring Tyron Woodley vs. Stephen Thompson and Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Tony Ferguson. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 105 results: Gerald Meerschaert submits Ryan Janes with first-round armbar

HALIFAX — Ryan Janes tried to show Gerald Meerschaert he wasn’t afraid of going to the ground with the submission specialist. That came back to bite him.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>