#UFC Fight Night 123 #Brian Ortega #Cub Swanson #UFC 218 #Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux #Conor McGregor #GLORY Redemption #Rico Verhoeven #UFC 217 #Joanna Jedrzejczyk #Francis Ngannou

Walel Watson Guard Ya GrillFollowing a third consecutive loss in the UFC, Walel Watson wasn’t surprised when he got the call that he was being released from his contract.

What disappointed Watson more was his performance in his final fight against Mitch Gagnon at UFC 152 because he has everything going right heading into the fight, and then it all went wrong.

“Going into the Mitch Gagnon fight I was super excited, my camp was awesome, I had the best camp of my life, the best diet of my life, the best weight cut of my life, everything just felt so perfect. I got over anxious. I wanted to go in there and I just wanted to make “Fight of the Night” happen right away, and you can’t just do that,” Watson told MMAWeekly.com.

“I’ve just got to learn from it, get better and go out there and do it again.”

Watson was discouraged at first when he got the call about being released from the UFC, but it quickly turned to motivation to get back there again. So instead of sitting and waiting for something to happen, Watson made a quick phone call to see what could be done to get him back in the cage as soon as possible.

“Right away I called my coach and I was like book me for a fight,” said Watson. “I’ve got to show them that I’m serious and that I belong there. I don’t let that discourage me at all, I just keep moving forward, keep trucking on the road.”

Watson got his wish and he will return this weekend for a fight, but he knows it’s just the first step on his road back to the UFC. There may be a few speed bumps along the way, but Watson knows he belongs among the best bantamweights in the world.

He just has to prove it.

“By the time I come back I’m going to be an even better Walel Watson, an unbeatable Walel Watson. I’m still raw in the game, I’m still learning a lot of things, and by the time I get back I’m going to be fundamentally sound and ready to come back,” said Watson.

“It’s like day one all over again, fighting to get into the UFC.”

Comments

Felice Herrig Maintains Her Winning Streak (UFC 218 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Felice Herrig's fourth consecutive victory, a split-decision nod over Cortney Casey at UFC 218. read news >>

UFC, California State Athletic Commission shift weight class on UFC-Fresno bout

Working in collaboration, UFC and CSAC officials have elected to preemptively shift weight classes for one UFC-Fresno booking.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Conor McGregor: "I Have Every Intention of Fighting in 2018" | MMAWeekly.com

With even UFC president Dana White doubting Conor McGregor's return, the brash Irishman insists he will fight in 2018... if he gets what he wants. read news >>

Brian Ortega: I'll beat Cub Swanson at UFC-Fresno, just can't 'act dumb or silly'

Brian Ortega is feeling calm, cool and collected as the days wind down to his UFC-Fresno main event vs. Cub Swanson.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Angela Magana announces UFC release after 0-3 octagon run

Angela Magana, one of the most polarizing fighters in MMA, is no longer a member of the UFC roster. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Cub Swanson sick of 5-round wars, aims to give Brian Ortega lesson in losing at UFC-Fresno

Cub Swanson knows Brian Ortega is trying to use his name as a building block at UFC-Fresno, but he refuses to let it happen. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Is This Submission Wizard a Future Star or Just the Luckiest Man in the UFC?

If any one fight is emblematic of Brian Ortega's undefeated UFC run so far, it's his submission victory over Diego Brandao at UFC 195 almost two years ago. Against Brandao, Ortega went to the final r read news >>

Ex-UFC fighters Pearl Gonzalez, Sarah Kaufmann among 15 Invicta FC signings

Invicta FC has bolstered its roster with the signing of 15 fighters, including some notable names.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Vacates; Robert Whittaker vs. Luke Rockhold for Undisputed Title at UFC 221 | MMAWeekly.com

Georges St-Pierre is no longer the UFC middleweight champion. On Thursday, St-Pierre officially surrendered his title to focus on his health after being diagnosed with colitis just recently and the U read news >>

Robert Whittaker-Luke Rockhold title fight set for UFC 221 after Georges St-Pierre vacates

There are no more lingering questions surrounding the UFC middleweight championship.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>