#UFC Fight Night 118 #Darren Till #Donald Cerrone #Bellator 185 #Artem Lobov #Andre Fili #KSW 40 #MMA Rocks #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Karolina Kowalkiewicz #Conor McGregor #Kristina Williams #Norman Parke #Heather Hardy

It was all a matter of time before Joseph Benavidez faced Eddie Wineland. He knew it prior to signing the contract for his UFC on Versus 5 fight with the former WEC bantamweight champion.

The two are scheduled to meet this Sunday in Milwaukee as part of the eventing’s undercard and Benavidez has been watching his opponent for a while now. Through all of his WEC fights and most recent outing against Urijah Faber at UFC 128, Wineland has caught the attention of most 135-pound fighters.

He’s a tough fighter and puts a hurting on his opposition. His two consecutive WEC “Knockout of the Night” awards are perfect examples of that.

Benavidez realizes he has a tough fight ahead of him, but that’s no sweat for the Team Alpha Male fighter. He’s confident he’ll beat Wineland, still.

“Eddie’s a tough opponent,” Benavidez told MMAWeekly Radio. “I knew it was a matter of time before I was going to fight him. So, now it’s time to fight him. I’ve been watching him for a long time and I always respected his style and everything.

“I think I’m better everywhere. He’s a threat, definitely in boxing, but even if he picked the way the fight wanted to go and boxed the whole time, I think I would still beat him.”

For Benavidez, it doesn’t matter what Wineland comes with on Sunday night. You see, he feels he comes with as many styles as he has nicknames. So while “Joenan the Barbarian” gets in the mix in the Octagon, he’ll keep opponents on their toes by adapting and changing things up like a chameleon.

“I feel I’m going to fight the same way, no matter what I’m called,” Benavidez said. “But I do feel like I have a lot of different styles. I’m kind of like a chameleon out there.”

While beating Eddie Wineland remains the top priority for “President Joebama” Benavidez, the bantamweight fighter has a bit of history with the elusive 135-pound champ Dominick Cruz.

Benavidez has only two losses on his professional mixed martial arts record. Both of those black marks came at the hands of Cruz. While Cruz took the first meeting by unanimous decision, the second fight was much closer on the judges scorecards. Unfortunately for the “Joemosapian,” he lost the second bout by split decision.

Getting a third fight with Cruz would be great, according to Benavidez. But he’ll be happy just fighting the best the UFC has to offer as long as a UFC title shot lies at the end of that road.

“Obviously, the title is my main goal,” he said. “I want to go in there and fight whoever has the belt. It’d be awesome to get a win over Dominick. I’ve come so close, I feel I failed twice, and the main goal is the title. So if he has it, that’s who I want to fight. If someone else has it, I think that there’s going to be a better chance of me getting it.

“Of course, I’d like to fight him again. Not only that, they were fun fights. He’s like a puzzle in there and hard to figure out and kind of fun to train for and fight.”

Follow @Erik_Fontanez on Twitter or e-mail Erik Fontanez.
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Galleries

Joseph Benavidez Fights

• 10 months ago

Comments

After postponement for UFC 215 fight, Jeremy Stephens finally got married over the weekend

After pushing back his wedding to fight at UFC 215, Jeremy Stephens had his wedding over the weekend.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Stevie Ray working through the trials, tribulations of waiting for new UFC deal

Lightweight Stevie Ray has been on the shelf since a knockout loss to Paul Felder – and now he’s uncertain what his UFC contract status is.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Ex-Oasis frontman Noel Gallagher on UFC champ Conor McGregor: 'I'd love to meet him'

Conor McGregor has a huge worldwide fanbase – and among those fans is former Oasis frontman Noel Gallagher.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Aspen Ladd Finally Books Long Awaited UFC Debut Fight in Poland | MMAWeekly.com

Highly touted bantamweight prospect Aspen Ladd has finally booked her Octagon debut against Lina Lansberg at UFC Fight Night in Poland on Oct. 21. UFC officials announced the new matchup on Tuesday. read news >>

Michael Bisping has spies watching GSP, promises first-round KO at UFC 217

UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping (30-7 MMA, 20-7 UFC) puts his belt on the line against former welterweight title holder and all-time MMA great Georges St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC) in the read news >>

Alexis Davis, Liz Carmouche Meet at Flyweight in Rematch at UFC Fight Night in Fresno | MMAWeekly.com

A pair of past title challengers will meet in a rematch at 125 pounds when Alexis Davis faces off with Liz Carmouche on Dec. 9 at UFC Fight Night from Fresno, Calif. UFC officials announced the match read news >>

Waiting for Kevin Lee to Make Weight at UFC 216 (LIVE STREAM) | MMAWeekly.com

Kevin Lee missed weight on his initial attempt for UFC 216. Watch live as we wait for him to return to the scale. read news >>

UFC 218 in Detroit gets intriguing lightweight bout

Two lightweight up-and-comers – David Teymur and Drakkar Klose – will meet at UFC 218.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 216: Ferguson vs. Lee Odds, Tickets, Predictions and Pre-Weigh-in Hype

At UFC 216, the lightweight division will finally have an active title picture for the first time in the Conor McGregor era. Either Tony Ferguson or Kevin Lee will become the interim title holder in read news >>

Police waiting to hear from UFC vet Rony Jason after alleged assault of woman caught on tape

Brazilian police are expecting to hear from Rony Jason after videos of what appears to be the fighter assaulting a woman circulated online.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>