Eddie Wineland at WEC 49“A consistent soul believes in destiny, a capricious one in chance.”

– Benjamin Disraeli

Over the years in the bantamweight division there’s been one consistent fighter in former WEC bantamweight champ Eddie Wineland.  While he’s had his ups and downs in his career, Wineland has never really been out of a fight and always brings it.

The 27-year-old, however, is returning from an eight-month absence and coming off back-to-back decision losses to Joseph Benavidez and Urijah Faber, but Wineland felt like a shell of himself in those fights.

Now after taking some time to heal injuries and get his mind right, Wineland doesn’t feel the big fight pressure and wants to let loose.  And entering the BankAtlantic Center this Friday night, he feels that it was his and Scott Jorgensen’s destiny to meet in the cage.

“I’ve been with the WEC since 2006, and I’ve been with Zuffa since they absorbed the WEC,” Wineland told MMAWeekly Radio.

“I’ve been around.  I think I’ve established myself.  I think I’ve made it well known where I deserve to be and my caliber and level of fighting skills, so to fight a guy like Scott Jorgensen, I’m surprised we haven’t met before.  It was a fight that was inevitably going to happen, it was just a matter of when.”

Now, just moments away from his destiny, he feels nothing but admiration for Jorgensen and relishes that Jorgensen is a wrestler who likes to get hit and throw down with anyone.

“Scott, he’s primarily known as a wrestler, but he’s got a couple of big knockouts.  You look at Mizugaki; I mean Mizugaki went out cold.  He’s got heavy hands, he’s not afraid to trade, he’s not afraid to get hit.  I mean, Dominick peppered the hell out of him.

Come Friday night at UFC on FX 3, the Duneland Vale Tudo standout is looking forward to a three-round back-and-forth war with Jorgensen.  One thing remains constant for Wineland, no matter what the outcome is, and that is to just to let it all go and give the Florida fight fans their money’s worth.

“Getting punched isn’t an issue for him. He’s just like I am; he’s knock down, drag out, let’s get in there and do it.  This has all the makings of a Fight of the Night, and hopefully for Scott and myself we get those honors.”

Follow Andrew Gladstone at @gladstone1 on Twitter.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC champ de Randamie believes hand surgery inevitable, responds to Holm, 'Cyborg'

On a media teleconference Thursday, Germaine de Randamie discussed the likelihood of hand surgery and responded to criticism from both Holly Holm and “Cyborg” Justino.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

The Question: Are UFC's Recent Struggles the Sign of an Inevitable Decline?

The UFC 208 card was likely beyond redemption when middleweight Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza submitted journeyman Tim Boetsch in the first round Saturday in Brooklyn, New York. Before the perennial contend read news >>

For Valentina Shevchenko, UFC Bantamweight Championship Seems Inevitable

Little by little, Valentina Shevchenko's MMA game peels away new layers, exposing a mastery far beyond what reveals itself in any cursory viewing. She can fight in and out, fast and slow. She can box read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Future with UFC Commented on by Dana White on 'UFC Unfiltered'

Following consecutive decisive losses, UFC President Dana White believes Ronda Rousey may never again step foot inside the Octagon. On the latest episode of UFC.com's UFC Unfiltered (h/t Dann Stupp o read news >>

Dan Hardy believes UFC return could be near: 'Confident I have paperwork' that clears me

LONDON — If Dan Hardy has his way, he’ll be fighting inside the octagon before the end of 2018, explaining to MMAjunkie that a team of the United Kingdom’s best cardiologists have now cleared him to read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Aljamain Sterling: People will be very surprised by my process since first loss

DENVER – Aljamain Sterling believes fans are going to see a different fighter than the one that suffered his first career loss eight months ago when he returns to the octagon on Saturday at UFC on FO read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104's Jessica Andrade believes title shot looms with win over Angela Hill

Jessica Andrade believes she’s close to a strawweight title shot, and that a win on Saturday might put her over the top. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Yair Rodriguez believes Penn win has him creeping closer to UFC featherweight title shot

HOUSTON – After his brutal beatdown of UFC Hall of Famer B.J. Penn a few weeks ago, Yair Rodriguez can admit just taking the fight put him in a no-win situation. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, U read news >>

Ex-UFC champ Rafael dos Anjos considering Robbie Lawler, Nick Diaz for first welterweight fight

Rafael dos Anjos believes he’s earned the right to jump right into UFC title contention in the welterweight division.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 105's Reginaldo Vieira believes he can still go far

Mixed martial artists tend to not get better as they get older. It’s just how things work. But don’t tell that to Reginaldo Vieira.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>