#UFC Fight Night 128 #Kevin Lee #Edson Barboza #Frankie Edgar #Cub Swanson #UFC Fight Night 57 #Corey Anderson #Patrick Cummins #Siyar Bahadurzada #Luan Chagas #Aljamain Sterling #Brett Johns #David Branch

UFC champ Daniel Cormier apologizes to Anthony Johnson: 'The reality is, I was wrong'

It’s not exactly rare for a fighter to have some words with past or future opponents. Apologies, though, don’t come around that often.

So there’s something refreshing about UFC light-heavyweight champ Daniel Cormier’s willingness to admit he was wrong, during a recent MMAjunkie Radio appearance, in the way he went about former title challenger Anthony Johnson.

Cormier (19-1-1 MMA, 8-1-1 UFC) and Johnson (22-6 MMA, 13-6 UFC) met twice in the octagon, at UFC 187 and UFC 210. Other than the fact both fights ended in rear-naked-choke submission wins by Cormier, they had in common somewhat respectful lead-ups. Things, however, turned sour recently – when Cormier took issue (via “Talk and Talker”) with Johnson’s possible return from retirement and buddy-buddy attitude with former 205-pound champ Jon Jones prior to the UFC 214 encounter between Cormier and Jones.

Johnson, who announced he was hanging up his gloves immediately after their UFC 210 encounter, didn’t take too kindly to being called “(expletive) soft” on Cormier’s podcast. So he responded to the “crybaby” champ on Facebook:

To which Cormier fired back. (via Twitter)

After speaking to other people, though, Cormier realized he was off base. While there’s a side of him that’s measured on his words and approach, Cormier said, there’s also the ultra competitive side, which comes out swinging when he feels disrespected in any way.

That, the champ explained, is what we got in this whole Johnson ordeal. But that doesn’t make it right.

“After Rumble put that post up, I tweeted him,” Cormier told MMAjunkie Radio. “But then I texted him. Because I was mad. Like, ‘I’m mad. I want to fight.’ The reality is, I texted him, and I said some things that weren’t very cool. But then I was talking to somebody that means a lot to me and they said, ‘Why are you so mad? You started it. You said stuff. And you’re mad at him.’

“So the reality is, I was wrong. I should not have called him soft. But I thought that I didn’t like the action, but why do I expect so much out of him? Why do I expect him to not be able to be respectful and still compete at the highest level of the sport?

“So I walk it back a little bit. I was wrong. I shouldn’t have said anything about him being soft. Everybody does not have to view competition like I do. And I think that’s why – if he wants to be friends with (Jones) and be nice and cordial, then fine. What does that matter to me?”

In his post, Johnson joked about the lack of logic in Cormier’s thinking that he could have given Jones any advice on how to beat him; after all, Cormier did beat Johnson twice. And Cormier, now, agrees.

Mostly, though, Cormier said he was peeved by seeing his two two-time opponents hugging and being playful with each other – simply because that’s something that he wouldn’t do due to his competitive nature. But he, with a hand from his wife, also realizes that not everyone has to go about things the same way he does.

“I was wrong,” Cormier said. “It took me talking to Ali Abdelaziz (Johnson’s manager) of all people. Ali was like, ‘You guys are like – what the hell?’ He was right. But I talked to somebody last night. And my wife, she goes, ‘I get it. You’re a man. You’re from Louisiana. You don’t like to be disrespected. So when you feel a challenge, you go at it head-on.’

“But she goes, ‘You were wrong. You didn’t have to say that about him in the first place. What was the point? You won both fights.’ But, again, it’s just me looking at competition a certain way. And I guess just expecting people to do it too. And it really doesn’t have to be that way.”

Cormier’s issue with Johnson, however, wasn’t only with the Jones situation – but rather with the former challenger’s quite unexpected announcement that he would be leaving MMA to pursue other endeavors after the loss to Cormier. Which, again, the champ now sees is not his place to judge.

“I think the bigger issue for me was just not even the thing with Jones; it was like, ‘Man, I wish you would have just thought about it a little more before he made that decision,'” Cormier said. “Look, I said it before: I hope he comes back. Because he should be fighting. He’s that good. But it was just so quick.

“It just seemed like he should have taken a little more time in regards to making that decision, but who am I to pick when he retires? I’ve just got a different way of viewing stuff, man. I guess that’s why I am who I am.”

While Johnson has yet to formally announce anything on that end, his manager recently told “The MMA Hour” that a comeback was being discussed – this time, at heavyweight. Cormier, on his end, thinks a “Rumble” comeback is imminent. And he wants to make amends.

“I do believe he’ll fight again,” Cormier said. “So I’ve got to talk to ‘Rumble.’ I need to talk to ‘Rumble’ and try to either apologize or make it right in some way, shape or form.”

It’s unclear whether Cormier has since reached out directly to Johnson. But, in the meantime, the champ used the MMAjunkie Radio stage to get his message out there.

“The reality is, I was wrong,” Cormier said. “Not everybody should view competition like I do. So to Anthony Johnson, I apologize. I should not have said that. I should not have said that. I should not have said that. And because I said it, I have to truly expect him to respond. And he did.

“And because he responded, I should not try to fight him in the streets of Las Vegas. I’ve got to be better than that.”

To hear from Cormier, check out the video above.

And for more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Galleries

Daniel Cormier Fights

• a year ago

Anthony Johnson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC champ Daniel Cormier still wants third Jon Jones fight, and 'that'll never change'

UFC champ Daniel Cormier wants to share the octagon with Jon Jones one last time before he retires from MMA competition. read news >>

UFC Champ Daniel Cormier Takes Job as High School Wrestling Head Coach

Daniel Cormier 's heavyweight championship fight against Stipe Miocic at UFC 226 in July isn't stopping the UFC star from looking toward a career beyond the Octagon... read news >>

Ronda Rousey: 'I don't need anyone else's approval to be proud of myself'

Former UFC champ Ronda Rousey reveals the time where she was looking for an “honorable way out” of her UFC career, and why she’s still proud of her accomplishments. read news >>

Who's the best UFC champ in history: Demetrious Johnson or Georges St-Pierre? See the results of your vote

Our 32-fighter tournament picking the best champions in UFC history is in the books, and you’ve voted for the top titleholder of all time. 1 2 3 4 5 …6 read news >>

UFC Champ Max Holloway Needs to Cut an Unhealthy Amount of Weight…in 6 Days

Max Holloway earned respect from MMA fans for having the moxy to accept a UFC 223 fight against lightweight contender Khabib Nurmagomedov on short notice after Tony Ferguson withdrew ... read news >>

UFC Champ Conor McGregor Storms UFC 223 Presser, Wreaks Havoc Backstage

Pre-event UFC media days are typically humdrum, with most fighters too drained from their weight cut to really talk and little to no drama to be had. Every once in a while, though, something interest read news >>

UFC champ Conor McGregor charged with multiple assault counts, one count of criminal mischief

Conor McGregor has been charged with multiple counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief for his involvement in a bus attack. read news >>

Max Holloway releases statement on UFC 223 removal, apologizes to Khabib Nurmagomedov

Max Holloway apologized to Khabib Nurmagomedov after he was ruled medically unfit to compete in the UFC 223 main event. read news >>

For UFC champ Rose Namajunas, serenity over hate

“To me, fighting for love and goodness and the positive things in life is more powerful than fighting with hate in your heart.” read news >>

Dana White says Brock Lesnar could fight for title in UFC return, and Daniel Cormier is ecstatic

Daniel Cormier is definitely down for “Green Panty Night” with Brock Lesnar should he win the heavyweight title at UFC 226. read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Becomes UFC Champ, Not with a Bang but with a Whimper

After the wildest week in UFC history, it felt good to regain some sense of normalcy. Khabib Nurmagomedov beat Al Iaquinta in the main event of UFC 223 . He's the new UFC lightweight champion.. read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov to Conor McGregor after UFC 223 win: 'Beg me' for title shot

New UFC champ Khabib Nurmagomedov is ready to fight Conor McGregor, but “The Notorious” must fulfill one request first. read news >>

Watch ex-UFC champ Ronda Rousey tear down the house at WrestleMania 34

The Ronda Rousey Era officially is underway in the WWE. read news >>

MMA community reacts to Ronda Rousey's in-ring debut at WrestleMania 34

Former UFC champ Ronda Rousey made her professional wrestling in-ring debut at WrestleMania 34. See how the MMA community reacted to it. read news >>

UFC on FOX 29 broadcast plans set with Jon Anik, Daniel Cormier and Dominick Cruz

The UFC’s third FOX-televised event of the year takes place Saturday, and the three-man broadcast team is set. read news >>

Daily Debate: Should Brock Lesnar get Stipe Miocic vs. Daniel Cormier UFC title winner?

If former UFC heavyweight champion and current WWE star Brock Lesnar returns to the octagon, should he get an immediate UFC title shot? read news >>

Upcoming Fights