#UFC 218 #Conor McGregor #Francis Ngannou #Alistair Overeem #UFC 217 #Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux #Stipe Miocic #Max Holloway #GSP

Anthony Pettis | Sherdog.com

When Anthony Pettis launched off the cage and kicked Benson Henderson in the face at WEC 53, he was using a move he’d been practicing for 16 years.

“I’ve been doing traditional martial arts and taekwondo my whole life, and that’s like a basic demo kick,” Pettis said Monday during a “Savage Dog Show” interview on the Sherdog Radio Network. “We throw those kicks at demos. I was throwing that kick at 7 years old. It’s crazy how it landed in the cage.”

Crazy if for no other reason than Pettis had never even planned on turning to such a high-risk maneuver.

“Honestly, no, I never thought I would have the guts to throw that kick,” he said. “It’s a risky move because we could be having a totally different conversation right now. He could have thrown a punch and caught me jumping off the cage. But it’s just one of them things. I felt it. I was just like, ‘I’m going for it. It’s the fifth round, title fight. Everything that I want is riding on this fight.’ And it worked out good for me.”

The response has been better than good -- it’s been overwhelming.

“I had like 700 unread text messages,” Pettis said of what he returned to after vacation. “My voicemail still doesn’t work because I’ve got to catch up on that. My e-mail is crazy. I can’t even get Facebook friends no more. It’s crazy how much exposure that kick gave me.”

The kick also helped earn Pettis a UFC lightweight title shot. He won a unanimous decision over Henderson and will fight the winner of Saturday’s UFC 125 championship bout between titleholder Frankie Edgar and challenger Gray Maynard. Pettis prefers a matchup against Edgar.

“I would like to fight Frankie Edgar just for the fact that his style -- he beat B.J. Penn twice,” Pettis said. “Gray Maynard’s also another tough, tough fighter. It’s just one of them things where it’s gonna be a tough fight. Both fights are going to be a tough fight.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:14:25) with Pettis, who also discussed his 17-year-old brother’s talent for fighting and a long-term future in MMA.

Galleries

Anthony Pettis Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC Fight Night 121 results: Elias Theodorou outworks Daniel Kelly for unanimous decision

No matter how much Elias Theodorou kicked Daniel Kelly, Kelly wouldn’t go away – and even put Theodorou in trouble a time or two. But ultimately, Theodorou (14-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) just had too much outpu read news >>

Trading Shots: What should the UFC do about an uptick in fighters behaving badly?

Throwing boomerangs. Shoving refs. Insulting entire nations. Screaming out homophobic slurs. Where’s the line between what gets you heat with fans, and what should get you actually punished as a UFC read news >>

Watch these brutal spinning back elbow, head kick KOs from Bellator 189 prelims

Tonight’s Bellator 189 event kicked off with a pair of brutal knockouts on the preliminary card. Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

'OG' David Rickels downing pizza and beer before latest win, wants Benson Henderson next

David Rickels has appeared in 19 Bellator bouts, more than anyone else in company history, and for that he believes he’s due some respect.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

UFC-Fresno's Benito Lopez sorry about weigh-in shove but plans to appeal CSAC fine

Benito Lopez kicked off his UFC run with a decision win after a back-and-forth battle with Albert Morales. But, as exciting as they are, wars are not his preference: “I like to go in there and knock read news >>

Alex Perez wasn't happy to have his UFC-Fresno bout moved to 135: 'At least make it a catchweight'

Alex Perez kicked off his UFC run with a big submission win in his backyard; it’s a happy moment for the flyweight, but it came after some fight-week stress.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>