MENU
#UFC 218 #Conor McGregor #Francis Ngannou #Alistair Overeem #UFC 217 #Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux #Stipe Miocic #Max Holloway #GSP


Nate Marquardt

Nate Marquardt

While the details about why Nate Marquardt was removed from Sunday’s UFC on Versus 4 card remain in the dark, the Colorado fighter and the UFC had known about the potential issue for the last six weeks.

Pennsylvania Athletic Commission executive director Greg Sirb revealed the information when speaking to MMAWeekly.com on Sunday.

According to Sirb, Marquardt and the UFC were notified that he had not met the necessary medical requirements as of six weeks ago. He was given up until an hour before weigh-ins on Saturday to resolve the situation, but he was never able to clear things up.

“Nate has known for probably about a month and a half. He knew the situation. It was no surprise. Everybody (including the UFC) knew. Everybody’s known. I think everybody assumed he was going to be able to qualify,” Sirb said.

“I thought he would (qualify); I really did.”

Because of strict medical privacy rules in the state of Pennsylvania the commission is unable to provide any details as to what Marquardt did not complete prior to the Saturday deadline.

“We’ve known about it and we gave him every opportunity. The last report we got was three o’clock (Saturday). We gave him as much leeway as we could. Obviously we’ve got a live event, you’ve got to make the call. The UFC made the call when we said no he’s not going to meet it,” Sirb commented.

“Pretty straight forward stuff. He had to meet these requirements and there were no and, if, or buts about it and unfortunately he did not.”

The executive director did say that while the commission is unable to say what Marquardt did or didn’t do, Marquardt is able to speak about it, but as of Sunday neither the fighter nor his management have made a statement.

“We can’t say anything. This state is real tight on those types of laws. HIPPA laws are very strict. If Nate’s here, I don’t know if he’s here or not, he’s free to talk,” Sirb stated.

Sirb admits that he felt bad for Marquardt not being able to fight. After the situation reached a boiling point on Saturday, UFC president Dana White released Marquardt from the promotion.

“I told him I felt for the kid. I really did. He knew about it, he was trying, and he missed out on a big payday,” Sirb said about Marquardt.

As far as the future fallout for Marquardt following Saturday’s events, he still has to satisfy the medical issues that kept him from competing on the card. He will be indefinitely suspended until he satisfies the commission’s requirements.

“He didn’t meet the requirements, the medicals anyway. He’s going to be put on suspension. When he meets those requirements, he’ll be taken off. How long the suspension is, is up to him,” Sirb said.

“He needs to show us a new report. If that report comes in and it meets our requirements, it could be tomorrow and we’ll take him off. It could be two months, but it’s an indefinite suspension until he brings in that report we’re looking for.”

Once Marquardt was out, Sirb said his replacement Charlie Brenneman was able to hop in with no issues because he had already completed all the necessary requirements. Brenneman was previously set to compete on the UFC on Versus 4 fight card until his opponent T.J. Grant fell of the card due to sickness.

Now the local fighter gets a chance to fight on his hometown card and face Rick Story in the co-main event of the evening.

“A bad situation, which is what it is, creates a Rocky story for Charlie Brenneman,” Sirb said.

MMAWeekly.com has made several attempts to reach Marquardt and his camp, but as of the time of publication they have not made a statement or returned any calls.


Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
Follow
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.


Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.


view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Comments

Show Comments

Related News

CSAC reschedules Jon Jones' steroids hearing for early 2018

  • 23 days ago
  • 44 views

It’ll be a while longer before the California State Athletic Commission decides Jon Jones’ fate.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Confirms Health Issue that Has Him Sidelined | MMAWeekly.com

  • 10 days ago
  • 252 views

Georges St-Pierre recently issued a statement about his medical issues, confirming the news that Dana White revealed following the TUF 26 Finale. read news >>

UFC, California State Athletic Commission shift weight class on UFC-Fresno bout

  • 7 days ago
  • 13 views

Working in collaboration, UFC and CSAC officials have elected to preemptively shift weight classes for one UFC-Fresno booking.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Commissioner Retires, Leading to Next Generation of Nevada Athletic Commission | MMAWeekly.com

  • 2 days ago
  • 3 views

The final member of the "old guard" Nevada State Athletic Commission retired, indicating a shift to the next generation of the influential Commission. read news >>

UFC 219 test run for AI-inspired glove sensors approved

  • 2 days ago
  • 21 views

The Nevada State Athletic Commission approved a test run for a new UFC program that uses analytics and artificial intelligence to tell the story of a fight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Now we know UFC 218's biggest payout, and a helpful salary median

  • a day ago
  • 587 views

Disclosure is always a finicky thing with state athletic commissions when it comes to fighter payouts.Filed under: Blue Corner, UFC read news >>

Aljamain Sterling Issues Statement Following Nasty UFC Fresno Knockout | MMAWeekly.com

  • 5 days ago
  • 50 views

Though Aljamain Sterling was knocked out cold at UFC Fight Night 123 on Saturday night in Fresno, Calif., it appears he is going to be okay. read news >>

Kamaru Usman denies ducking Emil Meek, says Colby Covington refused to fight him

  • 10 days ago
  • 21 views

With Emil Meek’s visa issues ahead of UFC 219, Kamaru Usman says Colby Covington was offered a fight with him – but “declined, once again.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Manager: Money issues aside, 'Bigfoot' Silva's 'big heart' would've made him take GLORY 64 fight

  • 8 days ago
  • 17 views

After Ricco Verhoeven knocked out Antonio Silva in kickboxing, manager Alex Davis proposed that the GLORY heavyweight champ rematch “Bigfoot” in MMA. But it was a no-go from Verhoeven’s manager.Filed read news >>