Mike Pierce has been grinding out wins in the UFC for three years.

Last month he scored his first knockout in the Octagon, though, when he rallied to finish Aaron Simpson. Next up is Seth Baczynski at UFC on FX 6 on Dec. 14, but before that bout Pierce joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss the Simpson fight, the state of the welterweight division and more.

On getting stunned by Simpson early: “He hits pretty hard, I have to say. I’ve been hit by some pretty tough guys before, but he was the first one that really kind of wobbled me and put me in danger. I knew once I got hit, I had to go into a defensive mode and try and recover as best I could. I was able to stay alive and was coherent enough to fight off a rear-naked choke as well and then made it to the bell. It was quite an experience, one I hadn’t had before, but walking back to the corner, I knew what I had to do and readjust and gather myself and come out and fight my fight in the second round.”

On countering Simpson in the second: “I’d watched enough film on this guy to know that he had power in his right hand, and that was kind of his go-to thing. He had knocked some guys out with it. Why not throw it, right? I saw it coming there in the first round. I just didn’t get out of the way of it enough, and he still clipped me with it, wobbled me. In the second round -- I had gathered myself in between, but I knew if I was in his shoes, I would have thrown the right hand again. Why not? It worked in the first round. Do it again. I kind of felt him -- I just had this weird sense that he was getting ready to load it up again and fire it. I finally got out of the way of it and threw a short counter right of my own and it landed just perfectly.”

On when the counter landed: “As soon as I hit him, I was like, ‘Wow, that felt really solid.’ I started to turn and look to throw my hook, to follow it up, but as soon as I hit him, he just kind of hunched over and was just barely standing up on his feet. I saw his eyes roll into the back of his head. I grabbed him by the neck with my left and just put a couple of more punches on him on the way down, and the ref called the fight right there.”

On upcoming opponent Seth Baczynski: “He seems to be pretty decent in all areas. He’s got a couple of good submissions in his last few fights and a TKO to his credit. He’s definitely a tall guy. He’s probably the tallest guy that I’ve ever fought. He’s going to have some reach, so it’s just a matter of getting inside and pressing the action on him to take away his power.”

On the welterweight division: “It’s really anybody’s game, I think. I think a big question is how healthy is GSP? He’s kind of getting -- I personally think -- maybe towards the latter part of his career. He’s had a bunch of injuries that he’s had to sit out and rehab and heal up. His durability, I think, is in question. We’ll definitely see in this upcoming fight of his with [Carlos] Condit, but I think there’s a lot of guys right there in the mix that could maybe knock GSP off now since he’s had some injuries or maybe GSP just wants to retire. Who knows? It’s really anybody’s game, but there’s a lot of guys in the welterweight division that I think could shake things up for 2013.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 32:39).

New division unleashed: Check out the 'UFC 208: Holm vs. De Randamie' extended preview

The UFC returns to New York for the third time in 14 weeks when it brings UFC 208 to Brooklyn next month. Check out the extended video preview for the event inside.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Cerrone vs. Masvidal Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC on Fox 23

Donald Cerrone’s Cinderella march through the welterweight division encountered its first bit of adversity Saturday at UFC on Fox 23. Jorge Masvidal dashed Cerrone’s four-fight winning streak at 170 read news >>

Is the UFC's women's bantamweight division set for a return to nicer, bleaker days?

The next UFC women’s bantamweight title fight appears to be set, but as champion Amanda Nunes faced off with Valentina Shevchenko after UFC on FOX 23, one didn’t get the sense that we were looking at read news >>

Is Francis Ngannou the Next UFC Heavyweight Champion? (UFC on FOX 23) | MMAWeekly.com

Francis Ngannou has stormed into the UFC heavyweight division. Is he the next great UFC heavyweight champion? read news >>

Dana White Admits UFC Created Women's 145 Division for Cris Cyborg | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White has admitted that he created the women's featherweight division for Cris Cyborg. Now that she's on the sidelines, what comes next? read news >>

Former champ Holly Holm on UFC 208 145-pound title headliner: Each division has to start somewhere

As former UFC women’s bantamweight champ Holly Holm points out, she didn’t really have a division before Ronda Rousey fought at UFC 157. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Holm, de Randamie look for career-defining wins; Silva, Brunson want more at UFC 208

Everyone that steps into the Octagon does so for their own reasons, but next Saturday night at Barclays Center, Holly Holm and Germaine de Randamie will enter the UFC’s eight-sided proving ground wit read news >>

10 memorable moments from UFC Fight Night 104: 'Zombie' indeed, new title fight, flipping off crowd

The featherweight division got a whole lot more interesting on Saturday thanks to [autotag]Chan Sung Jung[/autotag]. "The Korean Zombie," back in the UFC after an absence of 1,281 days, knocked out [ read news >>

UFC 208: Holm vs. de Randamie - fantasy cheat sheet

At UFC 208, a new division will be launched as the women's featherweight title is introduced with a main event pitting former bantamweight champion Holly Holm against Muay Thai striker Germaine De Ra read news >>

Different UFC, different featherweight division, same old 'Korean Zombie'

After two years of military service that he spent, perplexingly, in a government office job, “The Korean Zombie” is back in the UFC. But the company and the weight class Chan Sung Jung returns to is read news >>