#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Nick Diaz #Michael Bisping #Holly Holm #Anderson Silva #Demetrious Johnson #Quinton Jackson #Fight Night Rotterdam

Following his TKO win over Jose Aldo in June, featherweight champion Max Holloway planned on meeting with the UFC to engage in negotiations for a new contract that would treat him as one of the company’s biggest superstars.

While no ink has been put to paper just yet, Holloway met with UFC executives just days ago in Las Vegas and it appears the 25-year old Hawaiian will be a very happy champion in the near future.

“Got to meet with some UFC brass and I can say things are looking up,” Holloway told MMAWeekly.com on Saturday.

“The meeting went super well. Like I said before, I had no doubt in the UFC. I love this company. They always find a way, they figure a way to make stuff happen. I think we’re super close. I believe in my heart you guys are going to the “Blessed” one back in the ring before the end of the year so I’m excited.”

Holloway still has to wrap up his own negotiations with the UFC before officially booking his next fight, but he seems to know the most likely candidate to get the first crack at his featherweight title.

Former lightweight champion Frankie Edgar just dismantled highly touted prospect Yair Rodriguez in May and that win came after he defeated fellow top 10 fighter Jeremy Stephens last November.

Of course, Holloway is happy to face anyone the UFC puts in front of him, but it certainly seems like Edgar is the fighter who will get the next shot at his belt.

“Everyone knows I’ll fight anyone, anywhere, any time. I’ve got a belt to defend. Right now if it’s defending the throne, it’s looking like Frankie [Edgar],” Holloway said. “You can’t deny it. The guy’s a legend of the sport, multiple time champ and I can’t wait to get another one on my resume. If Frankie’s the next man up, so be it. I’ve been trying to get this fight forever.

“I always wanted to fight Frankie, I always wanted to challenge myself. I know he’s a tough competitor but at the end of the day he’s going to have to face me so I’m excited.”

The UFC has two big pay-per-view cards to fill in December so it would make perfect sense for Holloway to return at one of those events still in need of a headline fight.

Obviously, Holloway has to finish out his discussions with the UFC first but he sounds very confident that the two sides will come to an agreement that will allow him to return to action later this year.

“Oh yes, I believe I’m going to fight before the end of the year for sure,” Holloway said. “I think it’s going to happen. I think the meeting went in the right direction yesterday and hopefully we announce something soon.”

Galleries

Jose Aldo Fights

• a year ago

Max Holloway Fights

• 10 months ago

Comments

Brandon Davis Earns UFC Contract for Epic Fight with Austin Arnet (Full Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Brandon Davis Secured a UFC contract with a win over Austin Arnett in what many consider to be the best fight on Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series. read news >>

Max Holloway Faces Frankie Edgar in Main Event at UFC 218 in Detroit | MMAWeekly.com

The featherweight title will go up for grabs in the main event at UFC 218 as Max Holloway faces off with Frankie Edgar on Dec. 2 in Detroit. UFC officials confirmed the fight to ESPN on Tuesday. The read news >>

Max Holloway Inks New Multi-Fight Deal with the UFC Ahead of First Title Defense | MMAWeekly.com

Max Holloway wanted a new contract and now he's got it read news >>

Jose Aldo vs. Ricardo Lamas, Mike Perry vs. Santiago Ponzinibbio Added to UFC in Winnipeg | MMAWeekly.com

The year end FOX UFC Fight Night card has just added a couple of blockbuster fights. Former featherweight champion Jose Aldo will return to action for the first time since falling to Max Holloway whe read news >>

Frankie Edgar Explains Why His Style Will Give Max Holloway Problems at UFC 218 | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

From the moment Max Holloway landed the final punch to finish Jose Aldo in June to become featherweight champion, Frankie Edgar was waiting to get the first shot at the new king of the division. Edga read news >>

UFC 218: Holloway vs. Edgar Fight Poster Unveiled | MMAWeekly.com

• 15 hours ago

UFC 218 recently gained its headlining bout, and now the official fight poster has been revealed. read news >>

'UFC on the Fly': Behind the scenes with UFC-Gdansk headliner Darren Till

• 18 hours ago

England’s Darren Till has been considered one of the UFC’s best prospects since he came to the promotion in 2015. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Holly Holm Fires Back at Cris Cyborg Over Badgering about USADA Drug Testing | MMAWeekly.com

• 17 hours ago

The fight between UFC women's featherweight champion Cris "Cyborg" Justino and Holly Holm isn't official yet but they sure are behaving like two fighters preparing to do battle. This week, Cyborg has read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2544 with UFC's Colby Covington

• 17 hours ago

Stream or download Monday’s episode of MMAjunkie Radio with guest Colby Covington.Filed under: News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Patrick Cummins Declares He's Pulling Out of UFC 217 | MMAWeekly.com