#UFC 218 #Bellator 191 #Francis Ngannou #Conor McGregor #UFC 217 #Alistair Overeem #Michael Bisping #Robbie Lawler #Max Holloway #Mike Perry #Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux

Following his TKO win over Jose Aldo in June, featherweight champion Max Holloway planned on meeting with the UFC to engage in negotiations for a new contract that would treat him as one of the company’s biggest superstars.

While no ink has been put to paper just yet, Holloway met with UFC executives just days ago in Las Vegas and it appears the 25-year old Hawaiian will be a very happy champion in the near future.

“Got to meet with some UFC brass and I can say things are looking up,” Holloway told MMAWeekly.com on Saturday.

“The meeting went super well. Like I said before, I had no doubt in the UFC. I love this company. They always find a way, they figure a way to make stuff happen. I think we’re super close. I believe in my heart you guys are going to the “Blessed” one back in the ring before the end of the year so I’m excited.”

Holloway still has to wrap up his own negotiations with the UFC before officially booking his next fight, but he seems to know the most likely candidate to get the first crack at his featherweight title.

Former lightweight champion Frankie Edgar just dismantled highly touted prospect Yair Rodriguez in May and that win came after he defeated fellow top 10 fighter Jeremy Stephens last November.

Of course, Holloway is happy to face anyone the UFC puts in front of him, but it certainly seems like Edgar is the fighter who will get the next shot at his belt.

“Everyone knows I’ll fight anyone, anywhere, any time. I’ve got a belt to defend. Right now if it’s defending the throne, it’s looking like Frankie [Edgar],” Holloway said. “You can’t deny it. The guy’s a legend of the sport, multiple time champ and I can’t wait to get another one on my resume. If Frankie’s the next man up, so be it. I’ve been trying to get this fight forever.

“I always wanted to fight Frankie, I always wanted to challenge myself. I know he’s a tough competitor but at the end of the day he’s going to have to face me so I’m excited.”

The UFC has two big pay-per-view cards to fill in December so it would make perfect sense for Holloway to return at one of those events still in need of a headline fight.

Obviously, Holloway has to finish out his discussions with the UFC first but he sounds very confident that the two sides will come to an agreement that will allow him to return to action later this year.

“Oh yes, I believe I’m going to fight before the end of the year for sure,” Holloway said. “I think it’s going to happen. I think the meeting went in the right direction yesterday and hopefully we announce something soon.”

Galleries

Jose Aldo Fights

• a year ago

Max Holloway Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Relive Michael Bisping's TKO Win Over Cung Le (UFC Shanghai Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Take a look back at Michael Bisping's TKO win over Cung Le. Bisping steps in on short notice to face Kelvin Gastelum in the main event of Fight Night Shanghai. read news >>

Max Holloway vs. Jose Aldo: UFC 218 Countdown Preview | MMAWeekly.com

Featherweight champ Max Holloway adjusts his camp to prepare for a familiar foe, longtime beltholder Jose Aldo, who sees the rematch as a shot at redemption. read news >>

Jose Aldo Went Retro for UFC 218 | MMAWeekly.com

Jose Aldo has reportedly gone back to his roots to prepare for Max Holloway and his attempt to regain the UFC featherweight championship. read news >>

Max Holloway vs. Jose Aldo Official, All Fighters Make Weight Ahead of UFC 218 | MMAWeekly.com

There's plenty on the line at UFC 218 but it appears all of the athletes were saving any potential drama for fight night after everybody made weight early Friday morning in Detroit. Both champion and read news >>

Max Holloway and Jose Aldo Both Have Close Calls at UFC 218 Weigh-in (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Max Holloway and Jose Aldo both narrowly avoided issues with their weight, but Holloway couldn't avoid a wardrobe malfunction. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Max Holloway's TKO of Jose Aldo in UFC 218 title defense

See the top Twitter reacts to Max Holloway’s victory over Jose Aldo in the UFC 218 main event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Max Holloway Wrecked Jose Aldo, Cementing Him as Best Featherweight (UFC 218 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

If there ever was a doubt, there isn't any longer, as Max Holloway put on an epic performance, dismantling Jose Aldo at UFC 218 on Saturday night in Detroit. Aldo got a short-notice call, having been read news >>

Max Holloway Beats Jose Aldo Via 3rd-Round TKO at UFC 218

Max Holloway told fans they were entering the "blessed" era when he defeated Jose Aldo at UFC 212 in June. At UFC 218, he sent out a not-so-friendly reminder that it's still his time in the featherwe read news >>

Fighters React to Max Holloway's Destruction of Jose Aldo | MMAWeekly.com

UFC featherweight champ Max Holloway faced former titleholder Jose Aldo in the UFC 218 main event on Saturday and destroyed him. Check out how fighters reacted. read news >>

UFC 218 Results: Max Holloway Beats Jose Aldo Via TKO in Main Event

UFC 218 brought the violence. That was the expectation, and it didn't fail to deliver. In all, there were nine finishes out of 13 fights from the Little Caesars Arena in Detroit. Chamatkar Sandhu of read news >>