#UFC on Fox 28 #UFC on FOX 17 #Jeremy Stephens #Josh Emmett #Ovince St. Preux #Ilir Latifi #Mike Perry #Max Griffin #Alan Jouban #Ben Saunders #Jessica Andrade #Tecia Torres #Renan Barao

Matt Brown Explains Why He's Retiring After His Fight with Diego Sanchez | MMAWeekly.com

Matt Brown shocked the world on Thursday when he announced that he would retire from the sport of mixed martial arts following his upcoming fight against Diego Sanchez on Nov. 11 at UFC Fight Night in Virginia.

The veteran welterweight contender has been out of action since last December, but booking the fight against Sanchez seemed like the perfect welcome back to the Octagon with both fighters having a reputation for putting on some of the most exciting fights in the UFC.

Brown absolutely plans on living up to that reputation one last time, but he says retirement has been lurking in the back of his mind for a while and now he just felt was the right time to pull the trigger.

“I literally just put it up yesterday but it’s crossed my mind a million times,” Brown told the “Loper and Randi Show” in his native Columbus, OH on Friday. “I think in just about every training camp like what the hell am I [doing this for], especially somewhere right in the middle to the end of training camp. It’s just your body’s beat up and you’re tired and it’s like what the hell am I doing? This is crazy. This is the last time I’m doing this.

“This time I’ve been feeling that a little too much and I really just made the decision yesterday. I can’t keep thinking about it forever. If it’s going to be on my mind, I might as well just go ahead and do it.”

Brown, who has owned his own gym previously, believes that he has contributions to be made outside of his own fighting career and that it’s just time to move onto the next thing.

Of course, Brown is staying focused on the task at hand because he wants to end his career on a victory against Sanchez on Nov. 11 but then he’ll be ready to put his attention towards another goal in his life.

“I just feel like I’m ready to move onto the next thing,” Brown said. “I’m not as excited about fighting as I once was, like it doesn’t spark that fire that it used to. I don’t have that same hunger that I used to. I took close to a year off, almost a year when I actually fight that I’ve taken off and I thought maybe that would re-energize the fire or whatever. That was kind of the motivation for taking the time off. I was like I need to get that fire back and I guess it just didn’t come back as much as I thought it would.

“I think I’m a smart enough person that I don’t need to hold myself to just one career for too long. When I’m bored of it I can move on and I can be successful in whatever venture I go onto next.”

Just because Brown is retiring from his own mixed martial arts career doesn’t mean his contributions to the sport are finished.

Brown has shown interest in coaching before and he had already previously started his own line of workout equipment called “Immortal Combat Equipment” after working as a personal strength and conditioning trainer prior to his mixed martial arts career.

The former “Ultimate Fighter” competitor knows there’s plenty he can do away from focusing on his own fight career and he’s excited to pay attention to something else after Nov. 11 is finished.

“What I really want to do is go do bigger, better and greater things that aren’t just about me,” Brown explained. “Right now, it’s about you’ve been so great and we love being on the ride watching you but I’d like to give back.

“I want to do something just as amazing but not necessarily about me.”

Galleries

Diego Sanchez Fights

• 10 months ago

Matt Brown Fights

• 3 months ago

Comments

Jeremy Stephens Explains Controversial Strikes During Fight with Josh Emmett at UFC on FOX 28 | MMAWeekly.com

• 13 hours ago

Jeremy Stephens didn't get to celebrate his knockout win over Josh Emmett for long before hearing cries about some controversial strikes that were landed just before he earned the highlight reel fini read news >>

Rafael Dos Anjos Throws Some Serious Shade on Tyron Woodley for Calling Out Nate Diaz | MMAWeekly.com

Tyron Woodley wants a fight with Nate Diaz, and Diaz wants to fight Woodley, but Rafael Dos Anjos is heavily critical of their motivation. read news >>

UFC KO of the Week: Donald Cerrone's Head Kick Finish of Matt Brown | MMAWeekly.com

At UFC 206 in December 2016, Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone put Matt Brown away with a brutal head-kick knockout. read news >>

The Monster Energy Bellator MMA Fight Series First Event of 2018 Announced | MMAWeekly.com

The Monster Energy Bellator Fight Series returns for its first event of 2018 in Atlanta when Monster Energy Supercross visits Mercedes-Benz Stadium on March 3. read news >>

Strawweight Championship Headlines Invicta FC 28 Fight Card | MMAWeekly.com

Invicta Fighting Championships on Tuesday announced details for Invicta FC 28, which will be headlined by its strawweight championship. read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko: 'I Will Not Stop' Until the Referee Pulls Me Off | MMAWeekly.com

Valentina Shevchenko talks about her fight with Priscila Cachoeira and whether the referee should have stopped it sooner read news >>

Six Fights Revealed for ONE: Visions of Victory | MMAWeekly.com

Six fights were announced on Wednesday for ONE: Visions of Victory in Kuala Lumpur. read news >>

Dana White 'Wouldn't Be Shocked' If Brock Lesnar Returned to the UFC in 2018 | MMAWeekly.com

Dana White can't deny that Brock Lesnar may just return to the UFC this year read news >>

James Vick Loves Fighting in His Home State of Texas | MMAWeekly.com

James "The Texecutioner" Vick explains how he got his nickname and why he loves fighting in his home state of Texas leading up to Sunday's UFC Fight Night 126 in Austin. read news >>

Alex Morono explains Diego Sanchez callout: 'How often do you get to fight your heroes?'

The MMA fan Alex Morono can’t help but continue to call out veterans after UFC Fight Night 126. read news >>