#UFC 217 #Conor McGregor #Michael Bisping #GSP #UFC Fight Night 55

Matt Brown shocked the world on Thursday when he announced that he would retire from the sport of mixed martial arts following his upcoming fight against Diego Sanchez on Nov. 11 at UFC Fight Night in Virginia.

The veteran welterweight contender has been out of action since last December, but booking the fight against Sanchez seemed like the perfect welcome back to the Octagon with both fighters having a reputation for putting on some of the most exciting fights in the UFC.

Brown absolutely plans on living up to that reputation one last time, but he says retirement has been lurking in the back of his mind for a while and now he just felt was the right time to pull the trigger.

“I literally just put it up yesterday but it’s crossed my mind a million times,” Brown told the “Loper and Randi Show” in his native Columbus, OH on Friday. “I think in just about every training camp like what the hell am I [doing this for], especially somewhere right in the middle to the end of training camp. It’s just your body’s beat up and you’re tired and it’s like what the hell am I doing? This is crazy. This is the last time I’m doing this.

“This time I’ve been feeling that a little too much and I really just made the decision yesterday. I can’t keep thinking about it forever. If it’s going to be on my mind, I might as well just go ahead and do it.”

Brown, who has owned his own gym previously, believes that he has contributions to be made outside of his own fighting career and that it’s just time to move onto the next thing.

Of course, Brown is staying focused on the task at hand because he wants to end his career on a victory against Sanchez on Nov. 11 but then he’ll be ready to put his attention towards another goal in his life.

“I just feel like I’m ready to move onto the next thing,” Brown said. “I’m not as excited about fighting as I once was, like it doesn’t spark that fire that it used to. I don’t have that same hunger that I used to. I took close to a year off, almost a year when I actually fight that I’ve taken off and I thought maybe that would re-energize the fire or whatever. That was kind of the motivation for taking the time off. I was like I need to get that fire back and I guess it just didn’t come back as much as I thought it would.

“I think I’m a smart enough person that I don’t need to hold myself to just one career for too long. When I’m bored of it I can move on and I can be successful in whatever venture I go onto next.”

Just because Brown is retiring from his own mixed martial arts career doesn’t mean his contributions to the sport are finished.

Brown has shown interest in coaching before and he had already previously started his own line of workout equipment called “Immortal Combat Equipment” after working as a personal strength and conditioning trainer prior to his mixed martial arts career.

The former “Ultimate Fighter” competitor knows there’s plenty he can do away from focusing on his own fight career and he’s excited to pay attention to something else after Nov. 11 is finished.

“What I really want to do is go do bigger, better and greater things that aren’t just about me,” Brown explained. “Right now, it’s about you’ve been so great and we love being on the ride watching you but I’d like to give back.

“I want to do something just as amazing but not necessarily about me.”

Galleries

Diego Sanchez Fights

• 7 months ago

Matt Brown Fights

Comments

Matt Brown Unleashes Elbow from Hell (UFC Norfolk Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Matt Brown's devastating knockout of Diego Sanchez at UFC Fight Night 120 on Saturday. read news >>

Matt Brown Face-Plants Diego Sanchez (UFC Norfolk Results) | MMAWeekly.com

After twelve years as a professional mixed martial artists and 37 fights, Matt "The Immortal" Brown may have made his final walk to the cage on Saturday. The 36-year-old stated that his UFC Fight Nig read news >>

Matt Brown Undecided on Retirement or Return | MMAWeekly.com

Matt Brown discusses his first-round knockout win over Diego Sanchez backstage at Ted Constant Convocation Center in Norfolk, Virginia moments after the fight. read news >>

Diego Sanchez Issues Statement Following Matt Brown's Crushing Elbow Knockout | MMAWeekly.com

Following a crushing defeat courtesy of Matt Brown's elbow from hell, Diego Sanchez issued a statement on his career. read news >>

Matt Brown after UFC-Norfolk knockout win: Retirement decision can wait until later

Was Matt Brown’s highlight-reel knockout of Diego Sanchez at UFC Fight Night 120 his final appearance in the octagon?Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Dana White Explains Why Deal with Netflix Fell Through | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White had a hit on his hands last year with his new reality series "Lookin' For a Fight" where he traveled around the world searching for the next crop of fighters to compete insid read news >>

Former UFC Champ Fabricio Werdum Admits Marcin Tybura is a Dangerous Opponent | MMAWeekly.com

Former heavyweight champ Fabricio Werdum isn't taking Marcin Tybura lightly as he explains that every heavyweight fight is dangerous. read news >>

Miesha Tate Explains Why Holly Holm Can Beat Cris Cyborg at UFC 219 | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Miesha Tate gives her thoughts on Holm vs. Cyborg read news >>

One Fighter Nearly Put the UFC Out of Business In 2002 | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

UFC president Dana White explains how one fighter nearly put the fight promotion out of business back in 2002. read news >>

Matt Brown's win, Diego Sanchez's loss, and a conflict as old as the fight game

Matt Brown’s win seemed to get him wondering whether retirement is so inevitable. Diego Sanchez’s loss only made him more determined to go on. Both are living out conflicts as old as the fight game.F read news >>