Mark Hunt has agreed to square off with the former heavyweight champion at UFC 160 on May 25. MMAFighting.com initially reported the matchup on Saturday morning, and promotion officials later confirmed the pairing. UFC 160 takes place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas and is headlined by a heavyweight title tilt between Cain Velasquez and Antonio Silva.
Earlier this week, dos Santos was left without an opponent at the event when Alistair Overeem withdrew from the bout due to injury. While Hunt’s name was a popular choice as a replacement, UFC President Dana White revealed via Twitter that “The Super Samoan” had turned down the fight. Within a span of a couple days, things apparently changed drastically.
“Mark Hunt and I just got off the phone and had a GREAT conversation!!” White tweeted on Friday.
Hunt has been on a roll since losing to Sean McCorkle in his UFC debut. The New Zealand native has won four straight inside the Octagon, most recently knocking out Stefan Struve in the third round of their UFC on Fuel TV 8 encounter. Hunt has also defeated Chris Tuchscherer, Ben Rothwell and Cheick Kongo during his tenure with the promotion.
Dos Santos suffered his first loss in 10 Octagon appearances this past December, relinquishing the heavyweight crown to Velasquez in a five-round verdict at UFC 155. Known for his precise boxing, “Cigano,” captured the title with a first-round knockout of Velasquez at UFC on Fox 1. The Brazilian defended the strap once, stopping Frank Mir in the second round at UFC 146.view original article >>
UFC heavyweight prospect Francis Ngannou won’t get a title shot as he wished, but he will get an ex-champion in Alistair Overeem.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
Daniel Cormier understands and agrees with why he is once again the UFC light heavyweight champion. He just has a hard time reconciling it emotionally. read news >>
UFC officials today announced that Mark Hunt will no longer compete in the promotions’s return to Australia.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
UFC President Dana White told TMZ Sports on Thursday the company decided to remove Mark Hunt from its event in Sydney next month as a medical precaution. "Sometimes, you gotta protect these guys from read news >>
Mark Hunt issued an expletive-filled message to UFC President Dana White after the heavyweight fighter was removed from the UFC Fight Night show in Sydney, Australia, on Nov. 19. Hunt's message to Wh read news >>
Mark Hunt knows exactly why he was pulled from the UFC Fight Night card in Australia although his excuse most likely doesn't jive with the reasons the promotion gave him the hook. On Tuesday, Hunt wa read news >>
Julianna Pena won’t be returning to the octagon any time soon; the UFC women’s bantamweight contender is pregnant.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Dana White says he yanked Mark Hunt from UFC Fight Night headliner to save him from himself. read news >>
Can the UFC sideline a fighter for writing about symptoms of brain trauma? What precedent does that set? That and more in Twitter Mailbag.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
UFC president Dana White agrees with the likes of Michael Bisping and Mark Hunt, who are calling for tougher anti-doping violation sanctions. read news >>