#UFC Fight Night 118 #Darren Till #Donald Cerrone #Bellator 185 #KSW 40 #Artem Lobov #Andre Fili #MMA Rocks #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Karolina Kowalkiewicz #Conor McGregor #Kristina Williams #Norman Parke #Heather Hardy

It looks like the UFC wants to match welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre against Nick Diaz next, but Johny Hendricks believes he should get the shot.

Hendricks has won five straight, including knockouts of Jon Fitch and Martin Kampmann. On Thursday, though, UFC President Dana White said St. Pierre would like to fight Diaz next.

“If he’d have beat [Carlos] Condit, he would have been fighting GSP at that time and you’ve also got to think, Nick Diaz did have a chance to fight GSP a year and a half ago. He didn’t show up to his press conference,” Hendricks told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Cheap Seats” show prior to White’s comments on Diaz likely getting the next shot. “He’s had two shots to get GSP. All I’m asking is for one. That’s all that I’m asking for, and the thing is, the more that [St. Pierre’s camp] is talking about these other people and not wanting to fight me, it’s just giving me more and more confidence.”

Diaz did miss a press conference in September 2011 and was pulled from a title shot against St. Pierre. He could have also earned a crack at the champion by beating Condit this past February, but he lost the bout via unanimous decision. After that loss he tested positive for marijuana metabolites, and the Nevada Athletic Commission suspended him for a year.

“If he gets to take it after a year layoff and a loss, then it is what it is,” Hendricks said of Diaz getting the opportunity to fight St. Pierre. “You know what I mean? Enough being said, right? Here I’ve been in the last year, I’ve fought three guys in the top five and I’ve beat them all.”

Diaz has been an outspoken critic of St. Pierre, who in return hasn’t hid his dislike for the potential challenger. Hendricks doesn’t think that alone warrants a title fight, though.

“I can be the first one that can beat GSP,” he said. “I don’t think you have to sit there and talk trash. I don’t think I should have to. That’s why I like this sport, is that it’s not about who can talk the most trash. It’s how good your performances are, right? That’s what I really do like about this sport. You’re only as good as your last fight, and nothing else matters. Of course you do have to ask for the fights, and that’s what I’ve been doing. I’ve been asking since Josh Koscheck. I want a shot at GSP. Nothing else matters but that right there because he has the belt.”

If Hendricks gets passed over for Diaz, he seems willing to wait for the following title shot rather than fight again in the meantime.

“You can only hope for it, and there’s only so much that I can do to get a title shot,” Hendricks said. “I don’t want to be one of those people that has to be a jerk or whatever to somebody to get it. If they bypass me, guess what? I can wait. I got better in three months. I felt like I have improved a little bit on my striking and I improved a lot on my jiu-jitsu just in three months. If I have more time to wait, then guess what? I’m going to try to get that much better.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 29:46).

Galleries

Georges St Pierre GSP Fights

Johny Hendricks Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Keita Nakamura 'felt a little conservative' at UFC-Japan, wasn't sure he'd get the win

Keita Nakamura felt a little uneasy about his chances after a three-round slugfest with Alex Morono at UFC Fight Night 117.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Michael Bisping has spies watching GSP, promises first-round KO at UFC 217

UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping (30-7 MMA, 20-7 UFC) puts his belt on the line against former welterweight title holder and all-time MMA great Georges St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC) in the read news >>

Watch today's UFC 217 press conference with Bisping, GSP, others at 6:30 p.m. ET

LAS VEGAS – Check out a live stream of today’s UFC 217 press conference, which includes all six title-fight participants, live here on MMAjunkie at 6:30 p.m. ET (3:30 p.m. PT).Filed under: News, UFC, read news >>

Former UFC champ Johny Hendricks packs up trailer and heads for Jackson-Wink MMA

Perhaps a change of scenery will do some good for former UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks ahead of his UFC 217 bout.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Ahead of UFC 217 press conference with GSP, watch Michael Bisping's best trash-talk

If you’re going to be in Las Vegas next week, you’ve got a chance to see UFC 217’s headliners – and budding rivals – in person.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Bisping joins Conan to talk GSP & UFC 217

Michael Bisping joined Conan last night to discuss his upcoming fight against Georges St-Pierre and much more! Bisping will attempt to defend his middleweight belt for the second time as he and St-Pi read news >>

In new UFC 217 preview, Bisping says GSP was 'a little bitch' for vacating title in 2013

Don’t expect Michael Bisping to show much respect for his upcoming opponent – even a legend of the sport like Georges St-Pierre.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Michael Bisping Gives a GSP Fan the Double Bird at UFC 217 Press Conference | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Bisping had enough vitriol not only for Georges St-Pierre, but also for one of GSP's fans. read news >>

Aspen Ladd taking no chances with food poisoning ahead of delayed UFC debut

After a bout of food poisoning spoiled her UFC debut, Aspen Ladd is taking no chances the second time around.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Ex-UFC champ Johny Hendricks opens up on move to Jackson Wink MMA

Former UFC welterweight champ Johny Hendricks knew he could no longer continue down the same path after his latest loss.Filed under: Featured, News, Radio Highlight, UFC read news >>