Ed HermanUFC middleweight Ed “Short Fuse” Herman’s fight with Jake Shields this past August was possibly the most disappointing moment in his recent career.

Initially it had seemed that Herman had lost a unanimous decision, only to have the fight overturned to a no contest after Shields tested positive for performance enhancing drugs.

“I was making a little run there and to go in there and lose, I feel like I had a bad performance and wasn’t able to showcase my skills,” said Herman. “For him to test positive, it takes a loss off my record, so that’s good I guess, but it doesn’t change how much I got beat and that stuff still hurts.”

The fight with Shields came after Herman had won three fights in a row and gotten his career back on track following a patch where he had lost three out of four.

Looking to recapture his momentum, Herman signed up to take a fight that almost no one else was willing to when he agreed to face Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza at the final Strikeforce event, taking place Saturday night in Oklahoma City, Okla.

“I heard like eight or nine guys turned this fight down,” said Herman. “I thought it was a good opportunity. I need to fight. Fighting is what I do. I hadn’t fought since August, so I needed a fight.”

Herman knows he’s in for a tough night against the former Strikeforce 185-pound champion, but he’s also confident he can defeat Souza if he sticks to his game.

“It’s probably the toughest fight of my career, but it’s a good match-up for me, because I feel like he’s never fought anybody like me,” said Herman. “I don’t want to screw around too much with him, but I want to work my ground and pound, work my hands, my clinch and do what I do best.

“I can pressure him, make him tired, make him taste his own blood and make him quit. That’s what I do best is just grind guys down, break their will, and I’m going to try to do that with him.”

Herman feels a victory over Souza not only will start the year off right for him, but also help springboard him in the rankings, which will only become more difficult to achieve once Strikeforce fighters integrate with the UFC in the coming months.

“With every fight being so tough these days – especially for me, since they don’t give me any easy ones – I’ve got to go in there and get a win, and then from there things can really go up for me,” said Herman. “I believe that I’ve always been a little underrated, and any of the guys I’ve fought in my weight class they know I’m tough and that I’m not an easy fight.

“I believe I’m right there right now, but I’ve got to prove it a little bit more to the fans, the UFC and everybody else that I’m a Top 10 guy. That’s the plan here, is to go in there and put it on Jacare and show that even with this transition and all these guys coming in that I am a Top 10 guy.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all of your Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine news and fight coverage.

Ed Herman pulls out of UFC 209 light heavyweight fight with Igor Pokrajac

• 22 hours ago

Light heavyweight Ed Herman announced today on Twitter that he has pulled out of his UFC 209 fight with Igor Pokrajac because of injury, though Herman did not elaborate on what the injury is.Filed un read news >>

Aiemann Zahabi after UFC Fight Night 105 win: 'I love' pressure my name brings

• 22 hours ago

HALIFAX – Aiemann Zahabi knew added expectations would be placed on him ahead of his UFC debut, because he’s the younger brother of famed Tristar head coach Firas Zahabi. That didn’t place any additi read news >>

Cage Captions: UFC Fight Night Halifax | FIGHTLAND

• a day ago

Based on hundreds of painstaking hours of research and data, Cage Captions combines statistics gathered from virtually every UFC fight along with as many walkout songs as humanly possible. read news >>

UFC Halifax Quick Results: Derrick Lewis Continues his Rise | FIGHTLAND

• a day ago

Photos by Tom Szczerbowski-USA TODAY Sports On Sunday night, the UFC made its second trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, with UFC Fight Night 105. The card, which marked the debut of new play-by-pl read news >>

UFC Fight Night 105 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

• 21 hours ago

Following Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 105 event in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social read news >>

Stephen Thompson Ended Rory MacDonald's UFC Run (UFC 209 Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

• 21 hours ago

Stephen Thompson earned his title shot against Tyron Woodley with a decisive win over Rory MacDonald. Thompson meets Woodley for the second at UFC 209. read news >>

Sara McMann would fight again before UFC title shot but thinks she's already earned it

• 20 hours ago

HALIFAX – After making quick work of Gina Mazany at Sunday's UFC Fight Night 105, onetime title challenger Sara McMann explained why she believes she's earned a second stab at the women's 135-pound b read news >>

UFC Fight Night 105's Paul Felder wants to go undefeated in 2017, 'put butts in those seats'

• 19 hours ago

HALIFAX – Following his impressive first-round TKO over Alessandro Ricci at Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 105, lightweight Paul Felder now has one goal: “going undefeated in 2017.”Filed under: Featured Vi read news >>

Gavin Tucker feels he could've fought better despite nearly flawless UFC debut

• 19 hours ago

HALIFAX – It was Gavin Tucker’s big UFC debut, and it was happening in front of his home crowd. He should’ve been nervous and not been able put out a nearly flawless performance Sunday at UFC Fight N read news >>

Marcus Edwards Believes LFA 5 Victory Puts Him at the UFC's Door | MMAWeekly.com

• 18 hours ago

Marcus Edwards has a tough fight ahead of him at Friday's LFA 5 in Colorado, but believes a win puts him at the UFC's doorstep. read news >>