#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Paul Daley #Lorenz Larkin #Gokhan Saki #Roy Nelson #Javy Ayala #Fight Night Pittsburgh

Ed HermanUFC middleweight Ed “Short Fuse” Herman’s fight with Jake Shields this past August was possibly the most disappointing moment in his recent career.

Initially it had seemed that Herman had lost a unanimous decision, only to have the fight overturned to a no contest after Shields tested positive for performance enhancing drugs.

“I was making a little run there and to go in there and lose, I feel like I had a bad performance and wasn’t able to showcase my skills,” said Herman. “For him to test positive, it takes a loss off my record, so that’s good I guess, but it doesn’t change how much I got beat and that stuff still hurts.”

The fight with Shields came after Herman had won three fights in a row and gotten his career back on track following a patch where he had lost three out of four.

Looking to recapture his momentum, Herman signed up to take a fight that almost no one else was willing to when he agreed to face Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza at the final Strikeforce event, taking place Saturday night in Oklahoma City, Okla.

“I heard like eight or nine guys turned this fight down,” said Herman. “I thought it was a good opportunity. I need to fight. Fighting is what I do. I hadn’t fought since August, so I needed a fight.”

Herman knows he’s in for a tough night against the former Strikeforce 185-pound champion, but he’s also confident he can defeat Souza if he sticks to his game.

“It’s probably the toughest fight of my career, but it’s a good match-up for me, because I feel like he’s never fought anybody like me,” said Herman. “I don’t want to screw around too much with him, but I want to work my ground and pound, work my hands, my clinch and do what I do best.

“I can pressure him, make him tired, make him taste his own blood and make him quit. That’s what I do best is just grind guys down, break their will, and I’m going to try to do that with him.”

Herman feels a victory over Souza not only will start the year off right for him, but also help springboard him in the rankings, which will only become more difficult to achieve once Strikeforce fighters integrate with the UFC in the coming months.

“With every fight being so tough these days – especially for me, since they don’t give me any easy ones – I’ve got to go in there and get a win, and then from there things can really go up for me,” said Herman. “I believe that I’ve always been a little underrated, and any of the guys I’ve fought in my weight class they know I’m tough and that I’m not an easy fight.

“I believe I’m right there right now, but I’ve got to prove it a little bit more to the fans, the UFC and everybody else that I’m a Top 10 guy. That’s the plan here, is to go in there and put it on Jacare and show that even with this transition and all these guys coming in that I am a Top 10 guy.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all of your Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine news and fight coverage.

Comments

UFC middleweight Ed Herman now has some gauze for that gross finger

UFC middleweight Ed Herman will get plastic surgery to repair a finger he lost in a freak construction accident. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ed Herman Reveals Gruesome and Graphic Finger Injury (PHOTO) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC competitor Ed Herman had a tough day at the office. The veteran light heavyweight and middleweight fighter showed off a finger injury on Tuesday that is quite graphic and definitely not for the f read news >>

UFC's Ed Herman shares absolutely gruesome photo of his 'ripped' finger (WARNING: GRAPHIC)

Ed Herman’s choice of hashtags to describe this injury? #pain #blood #bone #ouch. Consider yourself warned.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Unfiltered Episode: Kamaru Usman and UFC 215 Recap

The Nigerian Nightmare, Kamaru Usman, calls in to talk to Jim and Matt about his UFC Fight Night Pittsburgh bout against Sergio Moraes, and a lot more. Plus, the guys recap all the action from Edmont read news >>

Jedrzejczyk vs. Namajunas set for MSG in November

The UFC's return to Madison Square Garden on Nov. 4 will now feature three world championship bouts, as the promotion announced Tuesday that strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk will defend read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko explains scoring flaws in lengthy statement on UFC 215 loss to Amanda Nunes

Valentina Shevchenko is still befuddled over the judges decision in her UFC 215 title-fight loss to Amanda Nunes.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Glover Teixeira vs. Misha Cirkunov moved from Brazil to UFC on FOX 26 in Canada

Brazil’s loss is Canada’s gain as Glover Teixeira vs. Misha Cirkunov has been moved to Winnipeg.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Gunnar Nelson's team disappointed after appeal fails in UFC Fight Night 113 loss

UFC welterweight Gunnar Nelson’s attempt to appeal his TKO loss to Santiago Ponzinibbio failed.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Can Henry Cejudo's Conor McGregor Impression Be Good Enough to Win a UFC Title?

Henry Cejudo looked like a new man in the cage Saturday at UFC 215. No, seriously, he looked like a different person—like a miniature, right-handed Conor McGregor. Cejudo certainly had some surprises read news >>

Watch Luke Rockhold Destroy Lyoto Machida (UFC Pittsburgh Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Former middleweight champion Luke Rockhold is back after a year off to face David Branch in the main event of Fight Night Pittsburgh on September 16. read news >>