#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Gokhan Saki #Bellator 183 #Yushin Okami #UFC Fight Night 83

After a dominant third round against Demetrious Johnson in their March 3 UFC flyweight tournament bout, Ian McCall believes he has the psychological edge heading into the rematch Friday.

“I definitely think so,” McCall told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “I’ve heard some interviews, the way he talks about everything. I think I’m definitely inside of his head.”

In McCall’s view, he was close to finishing the fight in that third round. He slammed Johnson, controlled positioning and also scored with strikes. However, Johnson also had his moments in the first and second rounds. Due to an error counting the judges’ scorecards, the fight was scored a majority draw instead of going to a “sudden victory” fourth round.

For all intents and purposes, though, the fourth round comes Friday at UFC on FX 3. The wait has been long enough for McCall.

“I just want to get it over with,” he said. “I want to move on with this chapter in my life, put a stamp on it and then fight [Joseph Benavidez] for the title.”

Looking back at the first encounter, McCall is far from satisfied with his performance. He blames his showing on a lack of focus.

“I wasn’t nervous or anything,” McCall said. “It was just some personal things going on. That’s the worst thing for me, is my personal life gets in the way. … I don’t focus on things. I shouldn’t let stuff like that affect me.”

McCall wouldn’t go into specifics, but he seems to have resolved whatever issues hampered him in March. As for Johnson, he’s not expecting anything new from his opponent.

“I think he’s shown me everything he has to offer,” McCall said. “I don’t really see him doing anything different.”

McCall, on the other hand, plans to be much better on the feet.

“Definitely in the standup department I looked horrible in my fight with him,” he said. “I think he’s going to see a much different side of me, much more focused. It’s not going to make it any better for him.”

The plan, in short, is for McCall to do exactly what he did in the third round of their first fight.

“I have to just beat him up,” McCall said. “I don’t have to make it too pretty. I have to just physically grab a hold of him, and the fight’s mine. … Just be more aggressive and get my hands on him. I think we all know I’m the better wrestler, better at jiu-jitsu and I’m a lot bigger. I hit a lot harder. So just kind of rough him up. Like I said, it doesn’t need to be that pretty. I’ve just got to beat the crap out of him.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:38:12).

Galleries

Demetrious Johnson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Ray Borg says he'll easily make weight for UFC 215 title fight; Demetrious Johnson believes him

“I’ve corrected my mistakes,” Ray Borg says of his past weight-cut struggles.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Demetrious Johnson plans to keep adding to UFC title defense record – because why would he stop at 11?

Champ Demetrious Johnson believes he still has plenty of competition in the UFC flyweight position.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Demetrious Johnson: 'I Have a Target On My Back' (UFC 215 Main Event Preview) | MMAWeekly.com

One of the most dominant champions in UFC history returns to the Octagon this Saturday to defend his title against No. 3 ranked flyweight Ray Borg at UFC 215. read news >>

UFC 215 - Fight by Fight Preview

Preview the entire UFC 215 card with this fight-by-fight preview, featuring the main event title fight between Demetrious Johnson and Ray Borg. read news >>

Coach: Demetrious Johnson's 11th UFC title defense will be 'biggest thing in combat sports'

Demetrious Johnson’s head coach Matt Hume says it’s always been the plan to set the UFC record for most consecutive title defensesFiled under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: Demetrious Johnson chases UFC history, makes a questionable nickname change

Should we be concerned about Ray Borg missing weight? What about Demetrious Johnson’s new nickname? That and more in this Twitter Mailbag.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

10 reasons to watch UFC 215 (*sigh* – even without Demetrious Johnson's shot at history)

It’s funny how fast things can change in the UFC. Just look at UFC 215 new headliner. Still, there are plenty of reasons to watch.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Elite Eight - Demetrious Johnson Fights

Demetrious “Mighty Mouse” Johnson isn’t just one of the most dominant champions competing in the Octagon at the moment; he may be one of the most dominant ever. As we await Saturday night’s card in E read news >>

'UFC 215 Embedded,' No. 2: Demetrious Johnson breaks down how to 'f*ck sh*t up'

Go behind the scenes of fight week with all four title fight competitors of UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>