#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Nick Diaz #Tony Ferguson #Quinton Jackson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Pancrase #Rizin 7

Dan Henderson wants a crack at Jon Jones. | Photo: Sherdog.com

After defeating Mauricio “Shogun” Rua in a thriller on Nov. 19 at UFC 139, Dan Henderson believes he deserves a shot at the UFC light heavyweight title.

Champion Jon Jones defends the belt Dec. 10 against Lyoto Machida. Henderson wants to fight the winner, and he thinks it will be Jones.

“I think obviously Jon Jones is probably the favorite in that one,” Henderson told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “With his style and his wrestling ability, he should be able to control the fight well. Lyoto likes to stay on the outside, and I think that’s probably not the opponent to do it against.”

Still, Henderson does give Machida a chance in the fight.

“Lyoto’s real quick and he’s a little bit goofy,” Henderson said. “He’s got a nice straight left hand. He definitely could catch Jon Jones. I don’t think Jon Jones’ chin has really been tested much because he is hard to hit. Anything can happen in a fight, but I definitely see Jones picking him apart from the outside and probably taking him down and beating him up.”

Henderson likes his own chances against Jones much better. He’s complimentary of Jones’ talent, but he also questions his experience.

“I think I’m a tough fight for anybody,” Henderson said. “If you’re in a fight with me, you’re definitely going to know you’re in a fight. I don’t know if really Jon Jones has felt that too much in his career. I definitely would test that out. I think style-wise I match up real well with him.”

Of course, there’s no guarantee that Henderson will get the next shot. Rashad Evans is also in the mix. He was rumored to be fighting Jones on Dec. 10 before it was revealed that his hand was injured and Machida would get the shot instead.

“It’s unfortunate that Rashad got hurt, but you know, it’s happened twice now,” Henderson said. “He’s had people step in. … All I know is, if I have to, I’ll pull out the age card and just say I should have seniority here. I’m getting older. Rashad’s got a little more time than I do.”

Although Henderson might joke about his age, the 41-year-old is serious about winning a UFC belt before he retires. He figures he has two or three years left to fight and he wants to go out a champion.

“That’s pretty much one of the last things I’ve got on my list for my career,” Henderson said, “to get a UFC title and keep it for a little while.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 58:10).

Galleries

Jon Jones Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Daniel Cormier Still At Odds with Being Handed the UFC Belt Jon Jones Took From Him | MMAWeekly.com

Daniel Cormier understands and agrees with why he is once again the UFC light heavyweight champion. He just has a hard time reconciling it emotionally. read news >>

UFC champ Daniel Cormier names Volkan Oezdemir as next title challenger

Daniel Cormier is moving on from Jon Jones and lining up his next fight. Apparently, he’s cutting out the UFC’s matchmaking middlemen too.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC's Jeff Novitzky Debunks Jon Jones Controversy | MMAWeekly.com

Following claims that he declared Jon Jones innocent, UFC exec Jeff Novitzky debunked the controversial reports. read news >>

Daniel Cormier Tells TMZ He Wants to Fight Jon Jones Again

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier revealed he would be happy to fight Jon Jones for a third time. Jones was stripped of the title he won against Cormier at UFC 214 after the bout was rule read news >>

Dana White: Jon Jones Could Have Been UFC Heavyweight Champion | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Dana White hasn't talked to former champ Jon Jones since his failed UFC 214 drug test, but believes Jones could have been the greatest ever. read news >>

Jason Knight says he's fighting Gabriel Benitez at UFC Fight Night 123 in Fresno

• a day ago

Fan favorite “Mississippi Mean” is headed to California.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Frankie Edgar Explains Why His Style Will Give Max Holloway Problems at UFC 218 | MMAWeekly.com

• 23 hours ago

From the moment Max Holloway landed the final punch to finish Jose Aldo in June to become featherweight champion, Frankie Edgar was waiting to get the first shot at the new king of the division. Edga read news >>

Will Brooks vs. Nik Lentz targeted for UFC Fight Night 121

• 23 hours ago

The UFC is targeting a do-over for Will Brooks and Nik Lentz at UFC Fight Night 121.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Will Brooks vs. Nik Lentz Expected to Be Rebooked for UFC Fight Night in Australia | MMAWeekly.com

• 23 hours ago

A lightweight matchup between Will Brooks and Nik Lentz that was originally scheduled for UFC 216 is expected to get shifted to UFC Fight Night in Australia on Nov. 19. Sources close to the matchup c read news >>

Poland's Salim Touahri replaces Jim Wallhead vs. Warlley Alves at UFC Fight Night 118

• 23 hours ago

Warlley Alves will stay on this week’s UFC card in Poland, and he’ll do so against a short-notice home-country replacement. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>