#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #GSP #UFC Fight Night 118 #Nate Diaz #Darren Till #Kevin Lee #Dominick Cruz #Donald Cerrone #Felice Herrig

Clay Guida can move closer to title contention with a win over Anthony Pettis. | Photo: Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com

Clay Guida believes he has multiple advantages over Anthony Pettis heading into their clash Saturday at “The Ultimate Fighter 13” Finale.

“He hasn’t fought the competition that I have,” Guida said recently during a “Savage Dog Show” interview on the Sherdog Radio Network. “He hasn’t fought the talent that I have, but he’s been fighting a tough group of guys these past few. I give him a lot of credit for that. He doesn’t train with the guys that I train with. He doesn’t have the coaching staff that I have. We’ve got a lot of tools on our side, and he’s got a lot of momentum and confidence on his side. It’s going to make for just an all-around awesome fight for the fans and it’s going to be great for our career.”

Guida credits Pettis for his recent performances but also for his willingness to take another fight after earning a UFC lightweight title shot with his win over Benson Henderson at WEC 53. Pettis’ crack at the gold was delayed due to the rematch draw between Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard. He chose to fight another contender rather than wait.

“I think it’s a great decision,” Guida said. “The more fights before my title fight, the better. Just gets me that much more prepared. I think it’s great for him and says a lot about his character and his ambition to train and get better in the sport. He’s not sitting around waiting for what could be maybe a year before Frankie and Gray fight. Who knows with their injuries? It just shows he’s confident in his skills and he wants to get back in there and show what he’s made of.”

Of course, by beating a top contender like Pettis, Guida could also move into title contention. He’s not received any guarantees from the UFC, but he thinks an impressive performance will help his cause.

“If I go out there and dominate and don’t leave it to the judges, like I’ve done in the past, then it’s going to look a lot better in the eyes of Joe Silva and Dana White,” Guida said. “I can’t leave this to anyone. I’ve got to go out there and finish the fight like I’ve been doing these last few.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:41:20).

Galleries

Anthony Pettis Fights

• a year ago

Comments

MMA's week out of the cage: Jedrzejczyk's multiple magazine covers, Conor Jr.'s custom kicks

Check out the best social media posts from fighters and their lives outside of the cage in the past week.Filed under: News read news >>

Patricky Freire says he should get title shot before Michael Chandler

Bellator lightweight Patricky “Pitbull” Freire believes he’s earned the right to cut the line of contenders at 155 pounds.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Mueller believes she can be champ

“I feel like I’m so blessed that I found MMA and realized this is my calling,” she said. “I feel like I’m not just gonna be good at this; I truly believe that I’m going to be great and going to be a read news >>

Crowder believes fighting for the fans is most important

“The fans are the most important, that’s who we’re out there fighting for,” Crowder said. “Without them, we’re beating each other up for no reason. You want to have a good fan base, you want people f read news >>

M-1's 'best knockouts ever' video delivers on its promise (with some vintage Fedor!)

Who doesn’t want to see five minutes of knockout highlights from the past two decades?Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

Bellator partners with BAMMA for Dec. 15 event in U.K.

Bellator is partnering with longtime British promotion BAMMA for its next U.K. jaunt.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Conor McGregor Believes He'd Beat Floyd Mayweather in a Rematch | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor is a man who learns from his mistakes. Much like avenging his loss to Nate Diaz in March 2016 by returning with a victory five months later in the rematch, McGregor has that same feeli read news >>

Primus rematch? Sure, but Michael Chandler also eyes 170 with MacDonald and Daley

It’s not that Michael Chandler doesn’t want a chance to reclaim Bellator’s 155-pound title. But eyeing a quick turnaround and big fights in the welterweight division, it’s not his only option.Filed u read news >>

Bellator 183 winner Goiti Yamauchi on his speak-the-truth vision to become lightweight champ

Goiti Yamauchi doesn’t mind that he was dismissive of his opponent’s skills before Bellator 183. He spoke his truth, then proved it.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Kevin Lee: Tony Ferguson's toughness just means he'll 'take a longer ass-whooping' at UFC 216

Kevin Lee believes Tony Ferguson is done evolving as a fighter, “and if you stop evolving, you start dying.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>