#UFC Fight Night 118 #Darren Till #Donald Cerrone #Artem Lobov #Andre Fili #Bellator 185 #Karolina Kowalkiewicz #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Jan Blachowicz #Devin Clark #Kristina Williams #Heather Hardy #Ramazan Emeev #Sam Alvey

GilbertMelendez6X8J0102UFC lightweight contender Gilbert Melendez says there’s no added pressure to win heading into his UFC on Fox 7 title bout with champion Benson Henderson, but the stakes are high and what’s on the line is more than simply a title.

Melendez, the last Strikeforce lightweight titleholder, has lobbied for years to get a shot in the UFC.  Regarded as the best lightweight to have never fought in the Octagon, Melendez has spent the last seven years in Strikeforce.  Contractual champion clauses kept him from making his long awaited debut, until now.

Melendez has been ranked in the top five for years.  In 2006, Melendez first cracked the top five, when Henderson had only one professional fight.  The April 20 title fight is a champion vs. champion match-up, but Melendez feels like the challenger.

“I feel like I am somewhat of a challenger and walking into new territory.  It’s a whole new organization, different type stage.  Ben Henderson is the champ in the UFC,” said Melendez on a media conference call promoting the event.

Henderson, in his last fight, defeated Melendez’s friend and long-time training partner Nate Diaz by unanimous decision.  Melendez cornered Diaz that night, and has been itching for the opportunity to avenge his teammate’s loss.

“When your buddies fight you can’t help but get a little emotional out there and passionate.  You’re bummed for your friend when he fights and if you can back your friend up you will.  At that point I was like give me the opportunity to avenge my friend.  Give me the opportunity to fight this dude.  I can do it,” he said.  “That was kind of going through my head, and I was just licking my chops hoping to get the opportunity, and I did.”

Melendez trains out of the Cesar Gracie camp, as well as his own gym, El Nino Sports, and the Fairtex Gym.  Many of his Cesar Gracie training partners have had UFC title fights and all of them have come up short.  A Cesar Gracie fighter has fought for a UFC title on six different occasions, and were defeated all six times.

Given the team’s title fight track record, Melendez would like to be the one to bring home UFC gold.

“I hope to win the title for my team, but I really try not to put too much pressure on myself.  I go out there and fight and fight my fight,” he said.

“I think it’s a great accomplishment for my whole team just to even get title fights.  Not many teams can say that.  Dave Terrell, Gil Castillo, Nick (Diaz), Jake (Shields), and Nate (Diaz) have all had title fights.  That’s great for our team.  If anything, it’s an accomplishment for our team.  But I’d love to be able to bring that title back to the gym and share it with those guys.”

Comments

Joseph Duffy vs. James Vick Added to UFC 217 in New York | MMAWeekly.com

After inking a new multi-fight contract to stay with the UFC, Joseph Duffy has been booked for his next fight as he faces off with James Vick on Nov. 4 in New York as part of the UFC 217 card at Madi read news >>

What Is Benson Henderson's Legacy After Bellator 183?

The Bellator career of Benson Henderson has been turbulent. He's enjoyed two title fights in two separate weight classes since jumping ship from the UFC in early 2016, but he lost them both. After hi read news >>

Frustrated Benson Henderson after Bellator 183 loss: 'I need to stop having close fights'

Benson Henderson is tired of leaving fights in the hands of the judges. He wants to change that after losing in Bellator 183 main event.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Who Do You Think Won? (Benson Henderson vs. Patricky Pitbull Full Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson and Patricky "Pitbull" Freire fought to a split decision in the Bellator 183 main event. Watch the full fight. read news >>

Scott Holtzman vs. Darrell Horcher first bout added to UFC Fight Night 123 in Fresno

UFC Fight Night 123 is taking shape with a lightweight bout between Scott Holtzman and Darrell Horcher.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Kevin Lee: The Fights That Have Him on the Verge of History

In the main event of UFC 216 on Oct. 7, Kevin Lee steps into the Octagon for the biggest fight of his career when he faces Tony Ferguson for the interim UFC lightweight title. In the meantime, we tak read news >>

Kevin Lee Doesn't Respect Conor McGregor's UFC Lightweight Title | MMAWeekly.com

Lightweight contender Kevin Lee fights Tony Ferguson for the interim 155-pound title at UFC 216 and weighs in on Conor McGregor's lightweight legacy. read news >>

Kailin Curran-Yan Xiaonan, Gina Mazany-Yanan Wu added to UFC Fight Night 122 in China

UFC Fight Night 122, the first UFC event in mainland China, is beginning to shape up with the addition of a pair of women’s bouts.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Andrea Lee vs. Kalindra Faria a late addition to next week's UFC 216 lineup

Next week’s UFC 216 lineup will apparently have 13 fights, after all.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News, UFC read news >>

THE 10: Top UFC Lightweight Title Fights

In advance of what should be an electric encounter between two bitter rivals and elite talents at UFC 216, here’s a look back at some of the outstanding championship fights of the past in the 155-pou read news >>