#UFC Fight Night 128 #Kevin Lee #Edson Barboza #Frankie Edgar #Cub Swanson #UFC Fight Night 57 #Siyar Bahadurzada #Luan Chagas #Corey Anderson #Patrick Cummins #Chase Sherman #Justin Willis #Aljamain Sterling #Brett Johns #Ricky Simon

Fabricio Werdum: Stipe Miocic or my friend Daniel Cormier – I don't care; I want the belt

It probably doesn’t come as a surprise, but former heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum wants to get back to another title shot.

On Saturday, Werdum (23-7-1 MMA, 11-4 UFC) continues that quest when he meets ex-Bellator heavyweight champ Alexander Volkov (29-6 MMA, 3-0 UFC) in the UFC Fight Night 127 main event at The O2 in London. The entire card streams live on UFC Fight Pass.

Werdum turned 40 this past August, but in the heavyweight division fighters seem to be able to keep going into their 40s and stay competitive more than in lighter weight classes. He’s won three of his past four since losing the title to Stipe Miocic nearly two years ago, and the lone loss was by majority decision to Alistair Overeem.

But with Miocic booked to fight light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier in a July superfight title bout at UFC 226, Werdum knows he has to keep busy if he wants the shot when the Miocic-Cormier dust settles.

“I can’t think of the belt only, nor can I sit around and not fight, waiting for the belt to come to me,” Werdum recently told MMAjunkie. “I have to demonstrate my worth by fighting as often as possible. I’m confident I’ll have another shot.”

The easy narrative would seem to be that Werdum would rather fight Miocic (18-2 MMA, 12-2 UFC) than Cormier (20-1 MMA, 9-1 UFC), given Miocic knocked him out to win the title at UFC 198 in Brazil. Then there’s the fact Cormier and Werdum are friendly.

But the Brazilian said it doesn’t matter who has the belt. He just wants it back.

“My greatest objective is being the champion for a third time,” said Werdum, who also was an interim champion before he had the official title. “It doesn’t matter if it’s against Stipe Miocic or Daniel Cormier. I love Daniel Cormier. He’s my friend going back several years. But we’re professionals. If he wins, I’ll have to fight him. What can I do? My goal is the belt. That’s it. It doesn’t matter who’s holding it.

“If it’s Stipe Miocic, great – I get to avenge a loss. If it’s Daniel Cormier, we’ll fight. I have nothing bad to say about him. I don’t badmouth people to promote a fight. That’s not who I am. … My goal is the belt, regardless of who has it.”

But first, Werdum has to get past Volkov. The 29-year-old Russian will have a height advantage over Werdum – though just three inches, given Werdum is no slouch at 6-foot-4 – and a youth advantage.

Volkov also has wins in his first three UFC fights since coming over from stints in Bellator and M-1. In September, he picked up a “Fight of the Night” TKO of Stefan Struve in the UFC Fight Night 115 main event in the Netherlands to piggyback on decision wins over Timothy Johnson and Roy Nelson.

“I see Volkov as a very difficult opponent,” Werdum said. “He’s very tall. He has a great reach, and very good muay Thai. He just beat three guys in the UFC. And every heavyweight in the UFC is dangerous. I think it will be a great fight. I’m able to visualize it. I envision a lot of muay Thai. And like everyone says, I expect to knock him out or submit him. (But) the main thing is to get the win.

“Of course, I also want a finish, but it’s not always possible. Some strategies just don’t work. So I don’t try to only put on a show. My goal is to win. That’s the most important. Then we’ll see how I get there. This is a tall, dangerous opponent, who’s durable. He’s not a ground specialist, but I wouldn’t underestimate anyone. He knows ground defense, and he gets up quickly. So it’s going to be a great fight. I have to take care, because anything can happen in five rounds.”

For more on UFC Fight Night 127, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Fabricio Werdum Fights

• a year ago

Daniel Cormier Fights

• a year ago

Stipe Miocic Fights

• a year ago
  • 20119 views

Comments

Daily Debate: Should Brock Lesnar get Stipe Miocic vs. Daniel Cormier UFC title winner?

If former UFC heavyweight champion and current WWE star Brock Lesnar returns to the octagon, should he get an immediate UFC title shot? read news >>

Unfiltered: DC sounds off on Jones, McGregor & more

Unfiltered Episode 188: Daniel Cormier Sounds Off on Jon Jones, Conor McGregor, Dominick Cruz, and Stipe Miocic, and a UFC on FOX Glendale Recap read news >>

Stipe Miocic Opens Up About Dana White, Brock Lesnar, Conor McGregor, and Daniel Cormier (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch as UFC heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic opens up about his relationship with Dana White, a potential fight with Brock Lesnar, Conor McGregor's meltdown, and more. read news >>

UFC Champ Daniel Cormier Takes Job as High School Wrestling Head Coach

Daniel Cormier 's heavyweight championship fight against Stipe Miocic at UFC 226 in July isn't stopping the UFC star from looking toward a career beyond the Octagon... read news >>

Daniel Cormier on Possible Brock Lesnar Fight: 'I Want to Get Paid'

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier said he would welcome a fight with Brock Lesnar because it would be a lucrative opportunity for him... read news >>

Daniel Cormier Excited by Brock Lesnar Fight; Will Never Fight Cain Velasquez | MMAWeekly.com

While it's still a fight on the fringe, Daniel Cormier can't help but be excited by the prospect of potentially welcoming WWE champion Brock Lesnar back to the Octagon. read news >>

Israel Adesanya vs. Marvin Vettori: UFC on FOX 29 Daniel Cormier Preview | MMAWeekly.com

Light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier previews the UFC on FOX 29 middleweight bout between Israel Adesanya and Marvin Vettori. read news >>

Michelle Waterson vs. Courtney Casey: UFC on FOX 29 Daniel Cormier Preview | MMAWeekly.com

Light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier previews the strawweight matchup between Michelle Waterson and Courtney Casey ahead of UFC on FOX 29. read news >>

UFC champ Daniel Cormier still wants third Jon Jones fight, and 'that'll never change'

UFC champ Daniel Cormier wants to share the octagon with Jon Jones one last time before he retires from MMA competition. read news >>

Daniel Cormier down to make 'truckloads of money' with Brock Lesnar, but won't postpone retirement

Daniel Cormier is giddy about the prospect of fighting Brock Lesnar sometime in the future, but won’t push back retirement plans for it. read news >>

UFC 223 'Thrill and Agony' shows warm moment between Khabib Nurmagomedov, Daniel Cormier

Daniel Cormier has long been one of Khabib Nurmagomedov’s most vocal supporters. read news >>

UFC on FOX 29 broadcast plans set with Jon Anik, Daniel Cormier and Dominick Cruz

The UFC’s third FOX-televised event of the year takes place Saturday, and the three-man broadcast team is set. read news >>

Yoel Romero waxes philosophical on Conor McGregor, breaks down Robert Whittaker rematch

Yoel Romero doesn’t think champ Robert Whittaker’s time away will make a difference in their UFC 225 rematch. read news >>

Dana White says Brock Lesnar could fight for title in UFC return, and Daniel Cormier is ecstatic

Daniel Cormier is definitely down for “Green Panty Night” with Brock Lesnar should he win the heavyweight title at UFC 226. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Conor McGregor unhinged, including Daniel Cormier's idea for punishment

Conor McGregor was the subject of some nasty tweets after he and his team went crazy on a fighter bus at UFC 223. read news >>

Upcoming Fights