#UFC on Fox 28 #UFC on FOX 17 #Jeremy Stephens #Josh Emmett #Ovince St. Preux #Ilir Latifi #Mike Perry #Max Griffin #Alan Jouban #Ben Saunders #Jessica Andrade #Tecia Torres #Renan Barao

Dana White: Pulling Mark Hunt from UFC Sydney Was to Protect Him from Himself

LAS VEGAS, NV - OCTOBER 07: UFC President Dana White speaks to the media after the UFC 216 event inside TMobile Arena on October 7, 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Brandon Magnus/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)
Brandon Magnus/Zuffa LLC/Getty Images

UFC President Dana White told TMZ Sports on Thursday the company decided to remove Mark Hunt from its event in Sydney next month as a medical precaution.

"Sometimes, you gotta protect these guys from themselves and that's what we're looking into right now," White said.

The decision to pull Hunt from his scheduled bout with Marcin Tybura and replace him on the card with Fabricio Werdum came after the 43-year-old penned a piece for PlayersVoice titled "If I Die Fighting, That's Fine" that detailed his medical woes.

"My body is f--ked but my mind is still here," Hunt wrote. "I've still got my senses about me and I know what’s right and wrong, which is the main thing.

"Sometimes I don't sleep well. You can hear me starting to stutter and slur my words. My memory is not that good anymore. I'll forget something I did yesterday but I can remember the s--t I did years and years ago. That’s just the price I've paidthe price of being a fighter."

Citing medical concerns, UFC announced Tuesday that Hunt had been removed from the card in Sydney, according to ESPN.com's Brett Okamoto

Hunt responded with a profane Instagram post (warning: NSFW language) in which he referred to White as a "peice of s--t motherf--ker" and a "bald headed prick."

In January, the New Zealand native filed a civil lawsuit against White, UFC and Brock Lesnar after Lesnar failed drug tests following a unanimous-decision victory over Hunt at UFC 200. The result has since been overturned to a no-contest.

Galleries

Mark Hunt Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Dana White: Referee Mario Yamasaki 'Should Never Set Foot in the Octagon Again' | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White hopes referee Mario Yamasaki never sets foot in the octagon again after not stopping the UFC Fight Night 125 co-main event on Saturday. read news >>

UFC President Dana White Drops Almost $70,000 on Swords on 'Pawn Stars' (VIDEO) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White is building a weapons room in his home and that's going to require some high end swords like the ones he bought on the latest episode of 'Pawn Stars'. The reality show featur read news >>

UFC Fighters Are Sparring with a New Opponent: UFC President Dana White

"Build yourself into a star, and you won't be talking about money fights. ... Become a star. Don't worry about Conor McGregor or fighting on Conor McGregor's card. Become a star yourself." Those were read news >>

Dana White promises 'moron' Mario Yamasaki will never ref again: 'He makes me sick'

Mario Yamasaki is not UFC President Dana White’s favorite person – and that’s putting it mildly. read news >>

Dana White Rips Referee Mario Yamasaki, Promises 'You're Not Going to See Him Again' | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White has had enough of referee Mario Yamasaki. This past Saturday night in Brazil, Yamasaki came under fire after he allowed the women's flyweight fight between Valentina Shevchen read news >>

Dana White: Floyd Mayweather should 'reciprocate,' fight Conor McGregor in UFC

UFC President Dana White is calling for Floyd Mayweather to make good on his teases about stepping in the octagon for a fight. read news >>

Dana White 'Wouldn't Be Shocked' to See Brock Lesnar Return for UFC Fight

Although Brock Lesnar remains under contract with WWE, UFC President Dana White said Wednesday on FS1's UFC Tonight that he could see the WWE Universal champion potentially stepping back into the Oct read news >>

Tyron Woodley Rebukes Dana White, Not Backing Down From 'Money Fights' | MMAWeekly.com

Tyron Woodley continues to rebuke UFC president Dana White's criticism of him talking about a potential fight with Nate Diaz. read news >>

Tyron Woodley 'Pissed Off' That Dana White Berated Him Over Nate Diaz Fight | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White didn't hold back recently when he criticized UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley for talking about a potential fight with Nate Diaz that White says never came close to ha read news >>

Tyron Woodley Squashing His Beef with Dana White and RDA | MMAWeekly.com

Tyron Woodley is tired of arguing, so he's squashing his beef with UFC president Dana White and moving on. read news >>