#UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 55 #GSP #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor

LAS VEGAS, NV - OCTOBER 07: UFC President Dana White speaks to the media after the UFC 216 event inside TMobile Arena on October 7, 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Brandon Magnus/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)
Brandon Magnus/Zuffa LLC/Getty Images

UFC President Dana White told TMZ Sports on Thursday the company decided to remove Mark Hunt from its event in Sydney next month as a medical precaution.

"Sometimes, you gotta protect these guys from themselves and that's what we're looking into right now," White said.

The decision to pull Hunt from his scheduled bout with Marcin Tybura and replace him on the card with Fabricio Werdum came after the 43-year-old penned a piece for PlayersVoice titled "If I Die Fighting, That's Fine" that detailed his medical woes.

"My body is f--ked but my mind is still here," Hunt wrote. "I've still got my senses about me and I know what’s right and wrong, which is the main thing.

"Sometimes I don't sleep well. You can hear me starting to stutter and slur my words. My memory is not that good anymore. I'll forget something I did yesterday but I can remember the s--t I did years and years ago. That’s just the price I've paidthe price of being a fighter."

Citing medical concerns, UFC announced Tuesday that Hunt had been removed from the card in Sydney, according to ESPN.com's Brett Okamoto

Hunt responded with a profane Instagram post (warning: NSFW language) in which he referred to White as a "peice of s--t motherf--ker" and a "bald headed prick."

In January, the New Zealand native filed a civil lawsuit against White, UFC and Brock Lesnar after Lesnar failed drug tests following a unanimous-decision victory over Hunt at UFC 200. The result has since been overturned to a no-contest.

Galleries

Mark Hunt Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Dana White fires back at Mark Hunt: 'How can you take your own words out of context?'

UFC President Dana White suggested he has no choice but to pull Mark Hunt from an upcoming UFC headliner, and the heavyweight’s recent complaints make little sense, he said.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Greg Hardy to Dana White About UFC: 'Keep an Eye on Me'

Former Dallas Cowboys defensive lineman Greg Hardy has told UFC president Dana White that he will "eventually" want to sign him after Hardy won his MMA debut with a 32-second knockout. Hardy urged Wh read news >>

Conor McGregor's Next UFC Fight Date Will Be Decided This Week, Says Dana White

UFC president Dana White confirmed to the Los Angeles Times' Lance Pugmire UFC should have an idea of Conor McGregor's return to the Octagon by the end of the week. White told Pugmire his focus is on read news >>

Dana White is Getting into Promoting Boxing, '100 Percent' | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White on Tuesday night admitted that he is actively pursuing a move into boxing promotion. read news >>

Dana White Rips Mike Swick for Doing the 'Worst Thing to Ever Happen to the UFC' | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White credits Mike Swick with one of the worst things to ever happen to his company. read news >>

Report: UFC President Dana White 'getting into boxing, 100 percent'

Turns out Zuffa Boxing really is more than just a T-shirt.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Dana White Hints Money May Slow Conor McGregor's UFC Return | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White has been struggling to announce a headliner for the promotion's big year-end event in Las Vegas. He's also struggled to lock down a return for his top star, Conor McGregor. C read news >>

'Wonderboy' Pumps the Brakes on Rumored Fight Against Darren Till | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White announced a new welterweight matchup late Tuesday night in Los Angeles but there's only one problem — he forgot to tell the fighters. The proposed fight would pit former titl read news >>

Watch Dana White goof on the tattoos of Conor McGregor, Brock Lesnar, Alan Belcher

UFC President Dana White says he isn’t really a tattoo guy, which might be surprising for an MMA promoter. Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dana White: More than Conor McGregor, homophobic slurs by UFC fighters 'definitely a problem'

UFC President Dana White expressed concern about a recent growing trend of UFC fighters using homophobic language.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>